ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Should The Veil-wearing Teacher Be Sacked?

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:05 am

I'm sure this will create a interesting viewpoint on peoples views.
News report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/6046992.stm
On the support side, it is her religion, and if that is what she believes in then fair enough.

On the other side of things however, she is teaching in a British school, and many (including me) would say that she should conform to British Culture, as she is residing here.
There is talk of her being sacked over her refusal to remove the veil.
What does everyone else think?
Thanks
Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

777236ER

RE: Should The Veil-wearing Teacher Be Sacked?

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Thread starter):
On the other side of things however, she is teaching in a British school, and many (including me) would say that she should conform to British Culture, as she is residing here.

There is no 'British culture'.

Apparently the kids 'complained' that they couldn't tell what she was saying. If a black English teacher were sacked because kids 'couldn't understand what he was saying', wouldn't there be uproar?

This is a school, for crying out loud. Kids are going to meet people who are different from them and, yes!, may even wear such strange things are veils! Trying to isolate them at school is stupid, and will produce bigots.
Your bone's got a little machine

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:20 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 1):

Here we go again - another complaining Briton. While I have to agree that what 'culture' is left is being diminished - wouldn't you agree that you would rather have some kind of culture, than a complete medley of other cultures that have been wired together from non-native people?

Apparently the kids 'complained' that they couldn't tell what she was saying.

Yes, I can appreciate that, but this is not the whole story.

Trying to isolate them at school is stupid, and will produce bigots.

Its not isolation, a multi-cultural teaching environment isn't going to work inside a school. Its not a case of 'hes black so he should get behind that door so we can't see him' and you KNOW that. Its a little more complex than that.

Thanks
Alex

dtwclipper

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:24 am

Really?

This is a school, for crying out loud. Kids are going to meet people who are different from them and, yes!, may even wear such strange things are veils! Trying to isolate them at school is stupid, and will produce bigots.

This is a language class right?

"found it hard to understand her during English language lessons"

When learning a language it is important to not only hear, but also to see, so covering ones mouth could be a problem.

Why can't they just wear the "head scarf" and adapt...maybe just a little?
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:27 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 3):
Why can't they just wear the "head scarf" and adapt...maybe just a little?

Agreed
There should be a limit on what people in a teaching environment (and in general frankly) can wear, and they should have to adhere to some constraints.
If I went into a catholic church in Italy I would be asked to cover my shoulders (not that they wouldnt be covered mind!)
If I go into a mosque (which I do regularly as I have friends there) I am asked to wear a headscarve as a guest. I think this is totally fair as it is their beliefs.

Its just very sad, that many people (including 777236ER) are perfectly happy to abandon the British Culture and let any old thing happen.

Rant over. For now.
Alex

JGPH1A

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:31 am

Personally, I have a great dislike of the full veil thing - it's slightly stand-offish to say you're not fit to look upon my face, you lustful deviant male person you. Whatever the religious reasoning, let's be brutally honest here, word of God or not, it's male chauvinism to suggest that women have to cover up completely and men don't (and yes I know the rules about modest dress apply to both sexes) - a full veil is taking it way too far, and I suspect that many Muslim women, if they aren't forced into it (which probably is the case for a significant number) adopt it as a sort of badge of differentness, proclaiming their cultural distinctiveness to the world.

All right, if they feel they must, we can't dictate to a person what they must and mustn't wear (even if their religion does), but to hide behind the inviolable walls of religion to defend it is disingenous. I'd be deeply offended by the notion that any religion has the right to tell me what to wear, and the fact that the rules have been dictated by a rabidly misogynist caveman world-view just makes it less acceptible. Frankly I'm astonished that educated women like teachers put up with it, unless my suspicion that it's a deliberate act of self-differentiation turns out to be true.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

777236ER

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 2):
Here we go again - another complaining Briton.

Uh, aren't you a complaining Briton too? If not, what was the thread starter all about?!

While I have to agree that what 'culture' is left is being diminished - wouldn't you agree that you would rather have some kind of culture, than a complete medley of other cultures that have been wired together from non-native people?

How is the British culture diminishing? Forcing Muslims to take off their veils doesn't improve or increase British culture!

Its not isolation, a multi-cultural teaching environment isn't going to work inside a school. Its not a case of 'hes black so he should get behind that door so we can't see him' and you KNOW that. Its a little more complex than that.

A mult-cultural teaching environment isn't going to work in a school? That's racist nonsense. Should all teachers be blond-haired, Christian, Anglo-Saxons, with school meals being pie and chips, history focussing on how great the Empire was and little concern for Johnny foreigners?

Don't be daft - school is a place where kids learn. To suggest that people of other culture shouldn't be allowed to teacher, or that they would somehow not teach as well, would produce a bunch of ignorant bigots last seen in The Famous Five books.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 3):
Really?

Yes, really.

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 4):

Its just very sad, that many people (including 777236ER) are perfectly happy to abandon the British Culture and let any old thing happen.

Please define the British culture then.

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):
I have a great dislike of the full veil thing

As do I
My personal view on it is a very imposing and frankly arrogant attitude which is completely out of place everywhere here.
People (probably 777236ER) will call me a racist, I am not. I just don't like to see this. I'm not selfish, I'm not a Daily Mail reader, but its a strong view that I hold.
THanks
Alex

777236ER

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:34 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 7):
People (probably 777236ER) will call me a racist, I am not. I

You don't want 'multi-cultural' teachers.

airways1

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:34 am

Should The Veil-wearing Teacher Be Sacked?

Absolutely, yes. Not because of her wearing the veil, or being muslim, but just because she's an idiot.

Watch the interview to see what I mean:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6053298.stm

Would you want her teaching your kid?

dtwclipper

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:35 am

Frankly I'm astonished that educated women like teachers put up with it, unless my suspicion that it's a deliberate act of self-differentiation turns out to be true.

I think you have hit the nail on the head (so to speak).

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 6):
Uh, aren't you a complaining Briton too? If not, what was the thread starter all about?!

Accepted

How is the British culture diminishing?

Ermmm by letting the whole 'multi-cultural' attitude getting OUT OF HAND.

That's racist nonsense

No its not. It can be very imposing and have an impact on an education. Go figure.

ignorant bigots

One of your favourite words that isn;t it.

Please define the British culture then.

I AGREE with you that there is not much culture to shake a stick at, but the issue raised here isn't exactly contributing is it.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 8):
You don't want 'multi-cultural' teachers.

Those words never passed my mouth, stop jumping to conclusions.

I reiterate, do not call me a racist.
Thanks
Alex

[Edited 2006-10-15 18:36:40]

9V

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:36 am

The fact that she went for the job interview at the school not wearing the veil says something I think. If I was a child in school and the teacher wore a veil that completely covered her face I would actually find it quite intimidating and frightening to be honest.

And I would find it a damn sight more intimidating than a female teacher wearing a cross around her neck!!!!

Angry

777236ER

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 11):

Ermmm by letting the whole 'multi-cultural' attitude getting OUT OF HAND.

And now it begins, the type of shouting usually limited to BNP conferences.

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 11):
I AGREE with you that there is not much culture to shake a stick at, but the issue raised here isn't exactly contributing is it.

So you agree there isn't a unified, universal British culture, yet you want to protect it?

Take some time before you reply next time, have a bit of a think. You don't want to be called a racist, yet you don't want 'multi-cultural' teachers. You don't think there's 'not much' British culture, yet she should conform to that culture.

If you can't even tell me what British culture is, then how can we protect it?!

JGPH1A

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:39 am

produce a bunch of ignorant bigots last seen in The Famous Five books.

How were the Famous Five ever bigotted ? Just because they weren't all differently-able elderly Afro-Caribbean Lesbian/Gay/Transgendered persons, doesn't make them bigotted - being young, white and in most respects average, is not a Crime Against Humanity. Calm down.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

dtwclipper

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:41 am

The interview is intersting.

During her interview for the job, there was a male in the room and she did not wear the veil....so really what is her point her?

To me, she is just trying to stir up trouble.

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 13):
And now it begins, the type of shouting usually limited to BNP conferences.

Here we go again. I'm neither BNP or Tory, and I am certainly not racist, you evidently have a bee in your bonnet with anyone who questions religious issues. My point was that it can be INTIMIDATING especially in a school environment. How can you not understand that, its very basic.

yet you don't want 'multi-cultural' teachers.

I repeat I never said that. I am a student myself and am taught in a multi-cultural environment, just none in the style of this Yorkshire school.

You don't think there's 'not much' British culture, yet she should conform to that culture.

There is not much of a culture to speak of, but there is still some lying around somewhere. The fact of the matter is the entire country will be like an airport before long. A mixed medley of different strands of culture, which despite what the pro-immigration MP's want to say doesn';t really work. (And I am pro-immigration)
Thanks
Alex

TedTAce

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:44 am

British school,

Not 'just a Brittish school', but "Headfield Church of England Junior School"
That's like a jewish teacher insisting on wearing a Yamika while teaching at a Catholic school.

This 'woman' should be deported for not being intelligent enough to be in western society.
This space intentionally left blank

777236ER

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 14):
How were the Famous Five ever bigotted ?

Why then do current prints cut out bits like 'his mean blackened face'?

Then again, at least she didn't start prattling on about Golliwogs in those books.

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:46 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 18):

Hello Mr Political Correct.
Ever thought that could have been an extract from someone that had just cleared out a chimney. Or been fixing a car?
You are unbelievable.

JGPH1A

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 18):

Without seeing the full quote and context, it's hard to say - seeing as the Famous Five never went abroad to my recollection, and the books were written in the first half of the last century, so the likelihood of this referring to actual skin colour is slim. After all, would you use the term "blackened" to describe an African person's skin ? It could actually referred to a deep tan, as the term "blackened" was used as in "blackened by the sun" - how is that racist ? It's just a bit archaic. PC gone mad, I am inclined to suspect.

On a similiar note, have you ever seen the book "Little Black Sambo" ? I know this book is no longer published in the UK as it is seen as racist, but the actual story is in no sense racist at all, it's actually quite cute and shows the protagonist to be intelligent, brave and resourceful. Just goes to show that PCness can be carried to extremes.

777236ER

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 19):

Hello Mr Political Correct.
Ever thought that could have been an extract from someone that had just cleared out a chimney. Or been fixing a car?
You are unbelievable.

Have you even read the Famous Five? Y'know, the ones where George (who used a nickname to sound 'more like a boy) was 'just as good as a boy'? The ones where little 50s housewife Anne was the female role-model? The boys always going off to fight the (invariably lower-class) baddies whilst the girls were forced to stay in the tents?

Come on, the Famous Five were outdated even in the 50s!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:54 am

it's slightly stand-offish to say you're not fit to look upon my face, you lustful deviant male person you.

You must have lived in England a while to have such a good command of English! Big grin Kudos

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 16):
I'm neither BNP or Tory

Thank f**k for that!

I agree the children should come first. Unfortunately (very unfortunate) whether she could be understood or not is debatable. I normally side with common sense however on this issue, I am not totally swayed by the argument that the veil has anything to do with it. I have more of a problem with her accent.

Intriguing.

I was going to write something about British culture but I don't think it's relevant to the thread.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

luv2fly

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:57 am

I think she should be sacked! I tried to watch the video and could not understand her and stopped watching.
You can cut the irony with a knife

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:59 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 21):

Yes I do remember reading some Famous Five, but I cannot remember much of it.
True I can accept some of the things said were questionable, but this was nearly 60 years ago.

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 22):

Regardless of whether they understand her or not, her dress-code can be considered intimidating, its a simple fact - it CAN be considered intimidating.
Thanks
Alex

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 24):
Regardless of whether they understand her or not, her dress-code can be considered intimidating, its a simple fact - it CAN be considered intimidating.

What I was saying is that she was sacked I presume because she "was asked to remove the veil after pupils found it hard to understand her during English language lessons." Not because people thought she was the Booger man.

9V

her dress-code can be considered intimidating, its a simple fact - it CAN be considered intimidating.

checkmark 

777236ER

Black people were intimidating to good ol' Ju and Dick.

RichardPrice

Hey, I grew up on the Famous Five (and Secret Seven and all the rest of the Blyton series) in the 1980s, nothing wrong with them at all.

The books are fine, its us that have changed and not necessarily for the better. People get too involved thinking about the impact and thus creating an impact all of their own - if they left well enough alone, chances are nothing untoward would come about.

JGPH1A

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:06 am

Have you even read the Famous Five? Y'know, the ones where George (who used a nickname to sound 'more like a boy) was 'just as good as a boy'? The ones where little 50s housewife Anne was the female role-model? The boys always going off to fight the (invariably lower-class) baddies whilst the girls were forced to stay in the tents?

I would suggest you re-read them - I don't know where you got your impressions of these books, but they are sadly warped. To even imagine that anyone would be offended by Enid Blyton books is ludicrous, and to ban them or edit them for content is insulting to the intelligence of everyone who might want to read them. Should we edit Dickens, or Shakespeare, or Austen, or Eliot, to remove any unconsciously offensive references to "blackamoors" or whatever ? Each is a product of their time, and must be read as such, and the PC Gestapo should leave well enough alone.

vc10

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:10 am

Why in debates like this do people always have to say

" I am not a racist" or "I agree with immigration"

well that is if you appear to be a white person you do. You never seem to hear people from Asia , M.East or say Africa having to prove they are virtuous before giving their views.

What makes the Daily Mail such a bad paper compared to others, is it because their views sometimes express the views you hear being spoken all over the country, and surely that is what a democracy is the views of the majority become the Law.

Do not blame the ethnic minorities for these problems as for years if not decades, this country has been encouraging them to demonstrate and live their different cultures and if you remember an old English saying

" If you give an inch, they will take a mile"

littlevc10

777236ER

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 29):
I would suggest you re-read them - I don't know where you got your impressions of these books, but they are sadly warped.

It's not even about offence, the books are ridiculous. Not only do they patronise kids with stupid language, but they portray stupid sitations. Horse-drawn caravans? Smugglers? Christ, this was the 1950s, not the 1850s.

Why were the baddies always lower class? Why were foreigners always suspicious? Why was Anne the ideal girl? Why did George want to be a boy?

You can't honest suggest that it's healthy for kids to read about how they should strive to be 'as good as a boy'?

The reason Five Go Mad is so funny is because they parodied the general bizarre nature of the books.

kaddyuk

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 7):
I'm not a Daily Mail reader,

Perhaps you should be... You'd agree with most of their mis-informed articles...!
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

9V

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:15 am

Who remembers Captain Pugwash aboard his ship The Black Pig and his crew Master Bates and Pirate Willy?  rotfl 

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:19 am

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 25):

What I was saying is that she was sacked I presume because she "was asked to remove the veil after pupils found it hard to understand her during English language lessons." Not because people thought she was the Booger man.

Exactly, sadly some of our more confrontational aquaintances here are struggling to make 2 + 2 with this fact.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 27):

I don't see what you are trying to achieve with these statements

Quoting Vc10 (Reply 30):
What makes the Daily Mail such a bad paper compared to others

Its slyly racist and hilariously right wing attitude for one.

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 32):
Perhaps you should be... You'd agree with most of their mis-informed articles...!

Evidently you haven't bothered reading the other posts.
Please endeavour to do so.
Thanks
Alex

777236ER

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 34):

I don't see what you are trying to achieve with these statements

Back to your original point, why haven't you yet defined the British culture you're so keen on defending?

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 35):
Back to your original point, why haven't you yet defined the British culture you're so keen on defending?

Again, your desire to rip someone apart over racial hatred becomes apparent.
I have agreed with you, there is not a great deal of culture.
Perhaps if I write it in bullet point form, you will be able to comprehend.
1: Mixing every culture on the face of this planet is not doing Britain any good.
2: Do you understand yet?

BTW, please explain your point earlier. You seem to be evading my question.
Thanks
Alex

9V

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 35):
why haven't you yet defined the British culture you're so keen on defending?

Personally I don't think this has anything to do with culture. It's about children in a classroom not being able to understand their teacher and possibly feeling intimidated by the fact that they can't see her face. What's so wrong with that?

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 37):
It's about children in a classroom not being able to understand their teacher and possibly feeling intimidated by the fact that they can't see her face. What's so wrong with that?

He clearly doesn't care about how children grow up in this country, evidently he is not affected at all by multi-culturalist society, and is therefore oblivious.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 25):
Not because people thought she was the Booger man.

I was expecting some laughs from that. Hmm.

777236ER

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:32 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 36):
I have agreed with you, there is not a great deal of culture.
Perhaps if I write it in bullet point form, you will be able to comprehend.
1: Mixing every culture on the face of this planet is not doing Britain any good.
2: Do you understand yet?

You didn't really listen to me and take a five minute break between posts did you? Bullet points generally have, uh, bullet points.

If there isn't a great deal of British culture, then how do you expect someone to 'conform' to that culture? Why is mixing cultures not doing Britain any good? How does stopping a teacher from wearing a veil improve or protect British culture? Why does limiting childrens' education experience to British culture lead to a better education?

You should stop using buzz words you hear on the TV and start thinking before you post.

RichardPrice

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:32 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 31):
It's not even about offence, the books are ridiculous. Not only do they patronise kids with stupid language, but they portray stupid sitations. Horse-drawn caravans? Smugglers? Christ, this was the 1950s, not the 1850s.

Why were the baddies always lower class? Why were foreigners always suspicious? Why was Anne the ideal girl? Why did George want to be a boy?

I guess you dont remember your childhood. Kids dont want accuracy, they want fun and adventure - the Five could drive horsedrawn carriages, they could bust a smugglers plot, they couldnt drive cars or deal with financial fraud.

The Famous Five was all about fun and adventure, its just sad that you yourself have to see seriousness and accuracy in everything.

9V

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:33 am

777236ER,

Answer me this. Do you think it's ok for a women to teach kids with her face covered and at the same time a BA flight attendant not be allowed to wear a cross necklace round her neck?

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:39 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 40):
You didn't really listen to me and take a five minute break between posts did you? Bullet points generally have, uh, bullet points.

I couldn't be bothered, and I have no intention to please a pedantic arrogant man like yourself.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 40):

If there isn't a great deal of British culture, then how do you expect someone to 'conform' to that culture?

You understand the basics of my point.
You also understand that this isn't even totally relevant to my argument, but seeing as you have no means to fight back on my main point, you choose to pursue this one.
Incidently, oblivious is hardly a buzzword, stop trying to patronise me because you are oh so much more mature.
Thanks
Alex

777236ER

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:40 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 42):
Answer me this. Do you think it's ok for a women to teach kids with her face covered and at the same time a BA flight attendant not be allowed to wear a cross necklace round her neck?

BA have a right to implement whatever policy they want. As it is, the problem is that BA apparently relaxes the rules for some people and not for others.

A better question would be 'is it OK for Muslims to teach wearing a veil, but for Christian teachers to be forbidden to wear a cross?' Of course it's not, and that hasn't happened in this case.

777236ER

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:42 am

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 43):
You understand the basics of my point.
You also understand that this isn't even totally relevant to my argument, but seeing as you have no means to fight back on my main point, you choose to pursue this one.

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 43):
I couldn't be bothered, and I have no intention to please a pedantic arrogant man like yourself.

You said that the woman should 'conform to British Culture' (verbatim), then you went on to say you don't think there is a significant British culture. You don't have a point.

9V

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 44):
BA have a right to implement whatever policy they want.

But the school hasn't?

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 44):
A better question would be 'is it OK for Muslims to teach wearing a veil, but for Christian teachers to be forbidden to wear a cross?' Of course it's not, and that hasn't happened in this case.

That's a valid point.  Smile

ThePRGuy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 45):

I admitted that there is not a significant culture here, however that is NOT to say that there is none at all. (Your statement)
My suggestion is to protect any left culture.

Quoting 9V (Reply 46):
But the school hasn't?

Again, his inherent careless attitude regarding education.

However, I would also like to ask you a question.
Why are you targeting me exclusively here, even when many others have said things like 'stupid woman should be deported'
Interesting.
Thanks
Alex

[Edited 2006-10-15 19:46:35]

777236ER

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:56 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 46):
But the school hasn't?

The school is a state-owned organisation that has a moral duty to perform (teaching kids). It's not a business that's simply concerned with carting passengers from A to B.

Quoting ThePRGuy (Reply 47):
My suggestion is to protect any left culture.

Such as what?! What 'culture' has been erroded thus far by allowing people with different culture to keep their culture here?

skidmarks

Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:00 am

This woman has adopted a devious and dual standard method to obtain employment. She did not wear the veil for the interview in order to gain the job. She then adopts the veil and says she saw nothing wrong with it. Strangely enough, at almost the same time as this story broke, Jack Straw was being slagged off something chronic about a criticism he made with reference to veils. This has been blown up out of all proportions by anyone and everyone.

Now, I'm sorry if it offends anyone, but this whole sorry tale smacks to me of a put-up job in order to gain publicity and notoriety for the Muslim rule about veils. If nothing else, the woman is guilty of deliberately misleading her employer. She should at least be disciplined and then be given the choice to either teach without the veil or leave the job.

It has little or nothing to do with culture and everything to do with sensationalism. A deliberate attempt to make a situation worse instead of better.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional