RichardPrice
Topic Author

Now Thats Forgiveness

Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:07 am

...and its also something I thought I would never see in this world again.

The Amish community devastated by the school shooting of ten Amish girls, resulting in the death of five, have said they forgive the shooter and have helped to set up a fund with a local bank to support his family.

Quote:

The widow of a man who shot dead five Amish girls at a school in the US state of Pennsylvania has thanked the Amish community for their love and support.

Marie Roberts said she and her family were "overwhelmed by the forgiveness, grace and mercy" shown to them following the murders on 2 October.

The Amish have said they forgive him and have helped set up a fund for the Roberts family at a local bank.

The mother and grandmother of Marian Fisher, one of the young victims, welcomed Mrs Roberts' aunt into their home the day after the shootings, the local Lancaster newspaper reported on its website.

Mrs Roberts' grandfather also attended Marian's funeral.

I have real respect for the Amish now, it takes serious conviction to follow your way of life so exact, so precisely that forgiveness can be shown for an act so evil. How many other communities could do the same?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6052758.stm

Boeing Nut

RE: Now Thats Forgiveness

Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:13 am

I heard this the other day and I was taken aback. Truly impressive. A lot of gang members wuold be alive if this stance was taken.

I know, why would I think that could be a possibility.  boxedin 

Imagine
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

9V

Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Thread starter):
set up a fund with a local bank to support his family.

Quoting RichardPrice (Thread starter):
How many other communities could do the same?

Maybe if more people were like that the world would be a better place.  Smile

ThePRGuy

Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:16 am

I have a huge amount of respect for the Amish way of life.
From everything I have read and heard, it seems that they are a very forgiving group of people, they do not hold grudges, and they can see the errors in peoples ways, yet remain composed and get on with life.
I really admire this.
Thanks
Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

NWOrientDC10

Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:35 am

While the Amish are very forgiving, it must be known that the shooters family, in a sense, are victims as well.

Maybe the Amish know this and feel bad for the shooters family.

Good Day  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

fumanchewd

Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:51 am

I have always respected the Amish for their convictions as well. I hope that if I was ever in this position that I could find the strength to forgive. I have been involved in a similiar situation being the guilty's brother and I have seen how horrible the situation is for both sides.

Without the forgiveness, the hate perpetuates and grows. Not only has the victim's family been deeply affected by this horrible act, but the guilty condemned his own family to misery as well.

Can you begin to feel what it would feel like if you had a husband or father who killed those girls? The shame and guilt must be heartbreaking. The Amish forgiving him not only will clear their own hearts and lives, but also allow the guilty's family a chance to live their lives.

That's a power like none other.

[Edited 2006-10-17 02:52:36]
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...