ArtieFufkin
Topic Author

Bush Prepares To Launch October Suprise?

Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:43 am

First the political situation in the US.

"Some Republican strategists are increasingly upset with what they consider the overconfidence of President Bush and his senior advisers about the midterm elections November 7 -- a concern aggravated by the president's news conference this week.

"They aren't even planning for if they lose," says a GOP insider who informally counsels the West Wing.

U.S. News and World Report
October 13, 2006

Now we have an armada headed to the Strait of Hormuz: arrival date Oct 21.

"The aircraft carrier Eisenhower, accompanied by the guided-missile cruiser USS Anzio, guided-missile destroyer USS Ramage, guided-missile destroyer USS Mason and the fast-attack submarine USS Newport News, is, as I write, making its way to the Straits of Hormuz off Iran. The ships will be in place to strike Iran by the end of the month. It may be a bluff. It may be a feint. It may be a simple show of American power. But I doubt it."

Chris Hedges
Does Bush Think War With Iran is Preordained?
October 10, 2006

Sadly, given Bush's record, it's not out of the realm of possibility for a bombing campaign to commence before the November elections. Timed to bolster his party's sagging election outlook.

nkops

RE: Bush Prepares To Launch October Suprise?

Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:59 am

I don't think the Republicans have much of a shot during the mid-terms this year no matter what they do.

[Edited 2006-10-16 19:04:11]
:evil:

Mir

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:06 am

I really don't see how that would help him. Until we get one war under control, it's unlikely people will appreciate getting involved in another. If we were planning to attack Iran we'd be hearing a lot more of the "evil" talk to pump us up. A spur of the moment thing isn't likely to have much effect.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MDorBust

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:11 am

As I said in the previous thread on this carrier group... when was the last time there wasn't a carrier group in the Gulf? Mid '80s maybe?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ArtieFufkin
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:15 am

Sorry Mdor

I didn't see your thread, otherwise I would have posted there.

I don't see this as a ground campaign at all. If it occurs at all it will be guided missiles and bombs on select nuclear facilities. These US military resources that are not being utilized for the most part in Iraq right now.

jetjack74

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Thread starter):
Bush Prepares To Launch October Suprise?

Hardly an October Surprise.

"The aircraft carrier Eisenhower, accompanied by the guided-missile cruiser USS Anzio, guided-missile destroyer USS Ramage, guided-missile destroyer USS Mason and the fast-attack submarine USS Newport News, is, as I write, making its way to the Straits of Hormuz off Iran. The ships will be in place to strike Iran by the end of the month. It may be a bluff. It may be a feint. It may be a simple show of American power. But I doubt it."

This isn't news Artie. We have been positioning Carrier Battle Groups in the Persian Gulf for 2 month periods since the late 1970's. In the 1990's, it was called Operation Southern Watch, to enforce the no-fly zone over Iraq, but it was also to keep an eye on the Iranians. So before you have an orgasm over a US News & World Report EDITORIAL, just bear in mind that this is SOP(Standard Operating Procedure). EVERY carrier deployment goes to the PG. This isn't news.

Quoting Nkops (Reply 1):
I don't think the Republicans have much of a shot during the mid-terms this year.

All it takes, is another Al Jazeera sponsored video by Bin Laden, Al Zawahiri, Amhadinejad or any other terrorist to shake the country back into reality. The Democrats are the ones walking the fine line.
Made from jets!

PlymSpotter

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
If we were planning to attack Iran we'd be hearing a lot more of the "evil" talk to pump us up. A spur of the moment thing isn't likely to have much effect.

His Poodle here in the UK hasn't said anything that would suggest we are about to need a very good reason to invade Iran, and I doubt the US would want to go it alone with a war on Iran. Are there any ships that are meant to be leaving the gulf within the next few weeks, if so then they could just be swapping over perhaps?

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Matt D

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:21 am

A spur of the moment thing isn't likely to have much effect.

I'd beg to differ. You'd be surprised at how short sighted, REactive, forgetful, seeeing with tunnel vision, and knee-jerk most Americans are.

Such a strategy just might work because of that.

Mir

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 6):
Are there any ships that are meant to be leaving the gulf within the next few weeks, if so then they could just be swapping over perhaps?

Either that, or they're just being sensible and sending some forces to the region in case of havoc, not to cause havoc.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ArtieFufkin
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:26 am

His Poodle here in the UK hasn't said anything that would suggest we are about to need a very good reason to invade Iran, and I doubt the US would want to go it alone with a war on Iran

No Blair is done going along with Bush. He's tarnished his legacy forever.

But the US would be able and willing to conduct a limited bombing campaign by themselves. I just don't know if it would be a political winner this close to election day.

MDorBust

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:29 am

Seriously, conspiracy theory guys... A carrier air group wouldn't be up to the task of taking on Iran alone. Especially operating in the narrow shallow water of the Gulf.

Odd how no one mentions Diego Garcia which has been in range of Iran for... oh, forever.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

DfwRevolution

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:30 am

Well... Bush could always reveal the capture of Osama Bin Laden the day before the election.

As some expected they might do in 2002 and 2004  Wink

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 5):
All it takes, is another Al Jazeera sponsored video by Bin Laden, Al Zawahiri, Amhadinejad or any other terrorist to shake the country back into reality.

Who on earth takes those videos seriously to the extent that it would shake their confidence in whoever they have decided to vote for?

No, a video would not suffice. But you can bet a moderately-sized terrorist attack like the Madrid train bombings would drasticly sway the results of the election.

jetjack74

Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 11):
Who on earth takes those videos seriously to the extent that it would shake their confidence in whoever they have decided to vote for?

Lot's of people take those seriously. In 2004, Kerry's numbers were up against Bush, until "Sheets" Bin Laden did his little campaign stump for Kerry, Bush's numbers bumped up in key swing states, turning the election in his direction. *I think Al Qaeda wants Republican victories in elections because they fear that Democrats will withdraw forces in Iraq and Afghanistan which would force Al Qaeda terrorists to invest more money in chasing us to the US.*
Made from jets!

turbo7x7

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:37 am

Such an October surprise would have been possible. . .

but I think recent events regarding North Korea has basically precluded such a stunt. Because of the new NK issue, such an action would now convince the electorate that the current Admin. is definitely reckless and needs to be checked.

DLPMMM

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:10 am

You guys are too funny.

I would join in, but I can't seem to find my tin foil hat.

You know that GWB is trying to infringe on our rights by reading our inner most thoughts!

There are also chemtrails being dumped into the sky by the CIA to control our minds.

searpqx

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:25 am

All it takes, is another Al Jazeera sponsored video by Bin Laden, Al Zawahiri, Amhadinejad or any other terrorist to shake the country back into reality.

You may have a point, but I think the public mentality has changed on this. Every time they appear, now we're just reminded that they're still on the loose and causing trouble, despite five years of efforts to track them down.

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 12):
In 2004, Kerry's numbers were up against Bush, until "Sheets" Bin Laden did his little campaign stump for Kerry, Bush's numbers bumped up in key swing states, turning the election in his direction.

Anyone remember the '80 election Carter vs. Reagan? Admittadly, Carter didn't stand a chance anyway, but the nail in the coffin was when Brezhnev publicly came out in support of Carter of Reagan. With friends like that. . .
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Falcon84

Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:27 am

While I wouldn't put anything by this Administration-I'm not as trusting of it as JetJack-this is probably just rotating one group out, and one in, as we've had a permanent carrier presence there since the early 80's.

If Bush did launch a war, it would, I believe, backfire terribly on the GOP, as it would be seen for what it was. With the DRPK being the more immediate threat it would be seen as a sham for votes, nothing more.
Work Right, Fly Hard

halls120

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:08 am

Sadly, given Bush's record, it's not out of the realm of possibility for a bombing campaign to commence before the November elections. Timed to bolster his party's sagging election outlook.

Hey Artie. When the november elections have come and gone, and there has been no "October surprise," are you going to be a man and post that you were wrong, or are you going to be a weasel and go silent?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

ArtieFufkin
Topic Author

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:51 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 17):

Hey Artie. When the november elections have come and gone, and there has been no "October surprise," are you going to be a man and post that you were wrong, or are you going to be a weasel and go silent?

How about you just reread my post you just cut and pasted, and ponder the words I wrote "realm of possibility"?

As an example, " it's within the realm of possibility that halls120 is a morphodite."
This doesnt mean I believe that it is likely that Halls120 is a morphodite, only that it is possible.

Comprende?

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:10 am

armada

Actually Artie, they're called a Task Force. Quite common these days. The US Navy has maintained a presence in that region for quite some time . . .

This isn't news Artie.

It is to Artie - the only time he spams here is when he thinks he can get a good Bush/Republican bash going . . . then we all laugh, and press on as usual.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 10):
Odd how no one mentions Diego Garcia which has been in range of Iran for... oh, forever.

Or the B-2s forward deployed to GUM from Whiteman . . .  scratchchin  Part of the 509th Bomb Wing STAYS forward deployed to GUM . . . standard practice since, ohhhhh, the late 1990s?

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 14):
I would join in, but I can't seem to find my tin foil hat.

Check with ArtieFufkin, I'm sure he has two or three - he can probably loan you one . . .

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 16):
this is probably just rotating one group out, and one in, as we've had a permanent carrier presence there since the early 80's.

Yup . . . exactly. But ArtieSpammer can't stand to let a good bash slip past him.

Hey Artie. When the november elections have come and gone, and there has been no "October surprise," are you going to be a man and post that you were wrong

no 

or are you going to be a weasel and go silent?

checkmark 

Hey, Artie, when the 1st Cav Division redelpoys to the Big Sand Box, please, post that here, it should happen fairly soon. I like keeping up on current events and troop/task force rotations. You seem to be a fairly good source for that sort of thing.  sarcastic 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

N174UA

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 7):
I'd beg to differ. You'd be surprised at how short sighted, REactive, forgetful, seeeing with tunnel vision, and knee-jerk most Americans are.

Such a strategy just might work because of that.

I don't buy it, and I have to agree with Falcon here. Voters are pissed...and not just Dems...independents and some GOP-ers like me. It will be seen as a desperate attempt for votes.

I don't know what would save the GOP at this point. Maybe it's better they lose anyway. Let the GOP take a back seat and find someone decent to run two years from now. And no, I don't mean Mitt Romney, either.

ltbewr

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:30 am

Probably a bit of saber rattling, to make the point that the USA Navy and other forces will protect shipping through and in/out of that critical waterway from terror attacks. If terrorists were to attack a ship there, it could close off a lot of the oil from Iran and Iraq, jack up oil prices and a number of other following issues.

MCIGuy

Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:08 pm

His Poodle here in the UK

If I were British, I'd completely resent that remark. PM Blair does what he thinks is right. It just happens to coincide with Bush's view a lot of the time.

This task force is going to protect oil tankers. The cartoon in Tehran has threatened to interfere with shipping in the Indian Ocean and around the Strait Of Hormuz. The task force is going to make sure he doesn't.
Airliners.net Moderator Team

Falcon84

Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:26 pm

Quoting N174UA (Reply 21):
I don't know what would save the GOP at this point.

MAYBE the live capture of Osama, for the world to see. But even that may be seen as a staged event, to garner votes.

The voter is very cynical right about now-except for the wide-eyed apologists, who, no matter what side they're on, will always thing the sun is shining when it's shitting cats and dogs on them.
Work Right, Fly Hard

solnabo

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:30 pm

His best October suprise would be:

"I quit asap, and I´ll take Rummy and Condie with me!!"

The world would be SO  relieved  ...

Micke//  santahat 
Airbus SAS - Love them both

MCIGuy

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:40 pm

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 25):

...from the country that exported Yngwie Malmsteen.

solnabo

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:49 pm

@MCIGuy

Who the eff is Yngwie Malmsteen??? The name sound swedish. Dont you like him....your lover?

Micke//  Confused

MCIGuy

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:53 pm

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 27):
@MCIGuy

Who the eff is Yngwie Malmsteen??? The name sound swedish. Dont you like him....your lover?

Micke//

It's pretty sad when an "outsider" knows more about your country than you do.  Wink

Yngwie Malmsteen

solnabo

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:59 pm

OMG, a headbanging pudle rocker with guitar solo´s going on for hours!

You can keep him, hate hardrockers! Gimme soul n disco anytime, then we can talk

Micke//   

[Edited 2006-10-17 13:04:51]

MCIGuy

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:04 pm

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 29):
You can keep him, hate hardrockers! Gimme soul n disco anytime, than we can talk.

I like lots of music, pretty much all, I try not to limit myself. Except country, I couldn't ever get wrapped around that.  Silly
Not really fond of rap either.

solnabo

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:17 pm

Rap music!?! vomit 

Rap in swedish means burp, that´s exactly what the´re doing, gonna get flamed....*lol*

Great exports to US:

Greta Garbo
Ingrid Bergman
Absolut Vodka
Wasa Knäckebröd *full weat bread*
Sex - Swedish Erotica  Wink
IKEA
Volvo
SAAB
Victoria Silvstedt *playmate*
Annika Sorenstam *golf pro*
Peter Stormare *actor*
Stellan Skarsgård *actor*
Lasse Hallström *director*

Micke// Big grin

BigOrange

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:52 am

Quoting MCIGuy (Reply 23):
PM Blair does what he thinks is right.

You're right Blair does what he thinks is right, it's just never the right thing to do in anyone elses eyes apart from George Bush and his right wing Raving Looney Party.

jetjack74

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:38 am

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 31):
SAAB

Yep, they are. Proud SAAB owner myself
Made from jets!

jaysit

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:51 am

Here's that crazy coot Conrad Burns. He claims that Bush has a plan to win the war in Iraq.

BUT HE'S NOT GOING TO TELL US!!!!!!!

HELENA, Mont. (AP) -- Sen. Conrad Burns says he believes President Bush has a plan to win the war in Iraq but is keeping it quiet, a statement Democrats pounced on Wednesday as reminiscent of comments made during another divisive war.

Burns, at a debate Tuesday night with Democratic challenger Jon Tester, said he believes Bush has a plan to win - but added: "we're not going to tell you what our plan is."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...WINS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Conrad Burns also has a plan to colonize the rings of Saturn and knows how to find Jimmy Hoffa. But he aint gonna tell us!!!!
Atheism is Myth Understood.

jetjack74

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:05 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 34):
Conrad Burns also has a plan to colonize the rings of Saturn and knows how to find Jimmy Hoffa. But he aint gonna tell us!!!!

Burns is fighting for his political life at the moment, but I think he's going to be unemployed come November. His seat is gone. He kinda reminds me of Mr Drummond, Conrad Bains.
Made from jets!

N174UA

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:28 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 35):
Burns is fighting for his political life at the moment, but I think he's going to be unemployed come November. His seat is gone. He kinda reminds me of Mr Drummond, Conrad Bains.

Whatchooo talkin' 'bout, Mr. Jetjack74?

Classic man...LOL. Sorry, I just couldn't let that one go.

davestanKSAN

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:39 pm

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 31):
IKEA

You should have given us your list in a box and made us assemble it  silly 

just kidding, IKEA is great.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

MCIGuy

Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:42 pm

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 32):
PM Blair does what he thinks is right.

You're right Blair does what he thinks is right, it's just never the right thing to do in anyone elses eyes apart from George Bush and his right wing Raving Looney Party.

Absolutely! We all know that (Hill)Billy did all he could to stop terrorism 'cause he said so. He got really mad at Chris Wallace 'cause he'd never heard before that he didn't do enough.  liar 

fxramper

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:06 pm

The aircraft carrier Eisenhower

If Slick Willie can make it work so can Dubya!  yes 

Maybe they'll send The Theodore Roosevelt CVN 71 and her attack group off the coast of Japan!  bouncy 

http://www.defenselink.mil/photos/Jan1996/960117-N-7729M-002.jpg

jetjack74

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:29 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 39):
Maybe they'll send The Theodore Roosevelt CVN 71 and her attack group off the coast of Japan!

My first an only ship. 12/89-03/91. I still remeber the chow line all the way up to the 03 level. Looks like a weapons and munitions onload
Made from jets!

bushpilot

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:42 am

I dont think youll get much in the way of actual surprises. I think youll get some desperate scare tactics like the NFL stadium hoax that was the lead story all day yesterday, and the fact it was a hoax is only being reported 4th down the list or so. I dont know if the Dems are going to pull it off, only one thing we can actually do to help our respective sides, make sure you take the time vote, and encourage your friends and family to vote. When the chips fall, we will see who gets what.

In the meantime, I am still utterly disgusted with both parties with thier bitter childish infighting, all under the guise of jockeying for position for the 2008 prez election. I just wish for once that the corrupt bastards running this country would be the statesman they were elected to be and pull thier heads out of thier asses, make some quality non-partisan legislation on the issues that are really effecting Americans. Lack of health care, huge budget deficit spending, and a solution to Iraq leading the way. But I dont think we will realistically see this happening.

SFOMEX

Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:42 am

Let me see. The war in Iraq, among other things, is causing what many predict will be the worst election result for the GOP in decades. The GOP needs something to avoid the debacle and that will be... another war!!! Yes, it'd be brilliant!  Angry

What the Republicans need is to get back to their roots: tax cuts, fiscal responsibility, family values and a party open to all. That would be a truly October surprise.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

halls120

Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 48):
What the Republicans need is to get back to their roots: tax cuts, fiscal responsibility, family values and a party open to all. That would be a truly October surprise.

Actually, tax cuts are not what we need right now. What we need is some control of government spending.

BTW, Notice how the democrats aren't harping on the economy this election cycle? I wonder why that is?  Wink
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

MCIGuy

Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:08 pm

Iran is accusing us of "provoking a situation" now. I don't see that happening but I'm beginning to think they might just be crazy-brave enough to attack the 5th Fleet!

oldeuropean

Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:24 pm

On 31st of October he will declare the "mission" as accomblished again.  rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Axel
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

scbriml

Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:03 am

If I were British, I'd completely resent that remark.

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Blair is a has-been (or even never-was) politician who has lost all credibility in the UK (even more than GW Shrub!) His biggest wish was to be seen as a great statesman. Instead, all he'll be remembered as is Bush's lapdog.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

baroque

Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:59 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 57):
Blair is a has-been (or even never-was) politician who has lost all credibility in the UK (even more than GW Shrub!) His biggest wish was to be seen as a great statesman. Instead, all he'll be remembered as is Bush's lapdog.

If Scbriml had not wanted it, we would be happy to use it down here for Howard. Remember Latham and his conga line of ---- modesty forbids, but a great phrase!! Certain Asians of my acquaintance refer to Howard as Bush's backside.

Howard is also caught out by the Stern report in the UK on the economic effects of climate change as the report totally undermines his economic case for doing nothing.

Now to Iran, the oil price should tell us all. Basically, the drop from $78 (and Tapis crude over $80) tells us the oil market does not think Bush is going to go for the tonk as they say in cricket. However, it seemed to be on its way to about $55 when it has been turned back to about $60 so something is making the garcons a bit nervous.

So reading the oil, is a bit like reading the tea leaves. We should get the folk from Little Britain to write a suitable script, Scbriml.

bushpilot

Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 48):
a party open to all.

Yes the GOP is open to all unless you are...non-christian, a homosexual, without health insurance, not an immigrant, or poor.

[Edited 2006-10-30 22:27:53]

ArtieFufkin
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:21 am

Only a true idiot could not notice the (?) at the end the Title of this thread.

Here I'll paste it.

"Bush Prepares To Launch October Suprise? "

Then, only a liar would imply that this is a prediction of likelyhood;

Sadly, given Bush's record, it's not out of the realm of possibility for a bombing campaign to commence before the November elections.

Still later I said "if it occurs at all"

Pasted for the moron.

Quoting ArtieFufkin (Reply 4):
don't see this as a ground campaign at all. If it occurs at all it will be guided missiles and bombs on select nuclear facilities.

3 quotes clearly showing I made no prediction whatsoever....Hate to go over this again but we have a 50 year old little boy playing games.

DLPMMM

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:11 pm

You are being disingenious Artie.

You start a thread with about an "October Suprise?" with and state a few facts as possible evidence of your theory, and then deny that you were insinuating such a chain of events were in the offing.

Perhaps it would be better if I started a thread with a title of "ArtieFufkin is a child abusing Pedo?"

I could follow that you were seen with a child on the playground and children were seen in your neighborhood.

Of course I was not really saying that you are a child abusing pedo, only that it is possible that you are.