aa61hvy

Question For Those Who Like To Cook

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:18 am

I was cooking a spaghetti casserole yesterday. I added too much salt (I misread the instructions). Is there any way I can neutralize the salt taste by adding anything? I was thinking of adding some ricotta cheese or something of that nature. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks
Go big or go home

MYT332

RE: Question For Those Who Like To Cook

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Thread starter):
I was cooking a spaghetti

Oh, there is a female spaghetti chef on this very website. Now, where is she?
One Life, Live it.

CastleIsland

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:25 am

Alas, you can always add more, but you can't take it out once it's in there. You've learned the hard way one mistake to avoid. The only thing I can think of that might help would be hot pepper of some kind (red chiles, jalpeno's, scotch bonnet if you dare!, etc). It'll probably still taste salty, but it'll be so damn hot you may not notice it.

BTW, I almost never cook with a recipe. Cook with your eyes, ears, and tastebuds. Have plenty of spoons around to sample sauces rather than blindly trusting a recipe.

Good luck; you've gotta screw up several times before you can figure some of this stuff out.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

strasserb

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:29 am

I was cooking a spaghetti casserole yesterday.

Just wait another two days and they'll run away anyway ....
 stirthepot   melting 
Still, even in the most arid desert is an airport somewhere ...

IFEMaster

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:32 am

I do this all the time when cooking Indian cuisine (don't know why that cuisine, specifically, but I always do). I've learned that the only real way to counter act the mistake is with volume. If I'm making a Pathia for 4 people, but I add enough salt for 8 people, I just add more of everything else until I have a Pathia for 8 people. I then eat Pathia for lunch and dinner for the next week  Smile
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

mbmbos

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:38 am

If you have oversalted a soup or a juicy dish, you can mitigate the saltiness by adding a peeled potato. Potatoes absorb salt.

aa61hvy

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:38 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 2):
Alas, you can always add more, but you can't take it out once it's in there. You've learned the hard way one mistake to avoid. The only thing I can think of that might help would be hot pepper of some kind (red chiles, jalpeno's, scotch bonnet if you dare!, etc). It'll probably still taste salty, but it'll be so damn hot you may not notice it.

BTW, I almost never cook with a recipe. Cook with your eyes, ears, and tastebuds. Have plenty of spoons around to sample sauces rather than blindly trusting a recipe.

I usually don't follow recipes per se, but I wanted to change it up (never again). I was thinking the same as you on throwing some hot peppers or something in there.
Thanks guys
Go big or go home

IFEMaster

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting MBMBOS (Reply 5):
If you have oversalted a soup or a juicy dish, you can mitigate the saltiness by adding a peeled potato. Potatoes absorb salt.

There's a thought...you could always throw a couple of snails or slugs in there to soak up the salt  Wink
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

MiCorazonAzul

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:58 am

Any suggestions or ideas?

throw it out and start over?
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

fspilot747

Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:18 am

Potatoes absorb salt. You can probably throw the potatoes out when you're done. I don't know where I heard that trick.