prosa

Light Skin = More $$ For Immigrants

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:30 am

According to a research report by a Vanderbilt University economist, as reported in the Washington Post, lighter-skinned immigrants to the United States earn an average of 8% to 15% more money than darker-skinned ones from the same race and national background, even after controlling for such factors as education, English-speaking ability, visa status and so on:

In fact, Hersch estimated that the negative impact of skin tone on earnings was equal to the benefit of education, with a particularly dark complexion virtually wiping out the advantage of education on earnings

Link:
http://crookedtimber.org/2006/10/18/racism-still-not-dead/

No one seems to know why this is the case.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Derico

RE: Light Skin = More $$ For Immigrants

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:44 am

It is a well known fact that in Argentina for example, the Chilean and Uruguayan domestic house maids made up to 20% than Bolivian ones that did the exact same thing, and only would make similar amounts if they cooked and were 'cama-adentro'. The Peruvians and Paraguayans were in-between.

The Chileans and Uruguayans generally have better education skills, but even when they didn't they made more money.

Why? No one knows. Or wants to say 'why'... Sad
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

captaink

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 1):
Why? No one knows.

Quoting PROSA (Thread starter):

No one seems to know why this is the case.

Really?

Or wants to say 'why'...

Now we are heading closer to the truth. Big grin
There is something special about planes....

TedTAce

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:03 am

We Ain't Racist!!!

Signed,

The South
http://members.lycos.nl/dodge/rebel_flag2.jpg
This space intentionally left blank

Cadet57

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):
We Ain't Racist!!!

Signed,

The South

Right and Gandhi serves baby back ribs on tuesday....

Wink
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Derico

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 2):
Now we are heading closer to the truth.

I wasn't going to give all the answers, now was I?

Interestingly, when it comes to men, I read men that aren't dark skinned ("swarthy"), and neither blond and blued eyed, can make more money. Apparently because they are seen as more authoritative.

prosa

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:49 am

It is a well known fact that in Argentina for example, the Chilean and Uruguayan domestic house maids made up to 20% than Bolivian ones that did the exact same thing, and only would make similar amounts if they cooked and were 'cama-adentro'. The Peruvians and Paraguayans were in-between.
The Chileans and Uruguayans generally have better education skills, but even when they didn't they made more money.

That's an interesting story but not quite the same thing. There are racial differences between the Bolivians and the Chileans/Uruguayans, even if they're all lumped into the same group in the United States. The Vanderbilt study found a variation in earnings among people of different skin tone but of the same race.

Derico

Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:09 am

You have a point, I had not considered that. However, I think it's part of the same worldwide pattern. In Many Latin American countries where Europeans are by far a minority, yet are very much the dominant people you see on local television. The same happens in India, even in China and Japan.

captaink

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:21 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 5):
I wasn't going to give all the answers, now was I?

Nah, I didn't expect you to.

fspilot747

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:39 am

Well, research shows that even people who are just better looking (no matter what race) get treated better, more attention, oftentimes easier to move up the ladder. I think it was dateline NBC that had a documentary on that, where they had two models go out in day to day life getting by alongside two average looking people and guess who got more help with directions, attention, assistance when lost, etc...

We're a superficial society. The world, I mean.

In the U.S., you're also 50% less likely to get a call back for a job when you apply with a black name like "lakiesha," "jamal jackson," etc... vs Greg, Don, etc.

There was a journal study that covered that, but you guys probably wouldn't have access to jstor unless you're affiliated with a university. Here's an ABC article that discussed the journal, though:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/09/29/national/main575685.shtml

Derico

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:45 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 9):
Well, research shows that even people who are just better looking (no matter what race) get treated better, more attention, oftentimes easier to move up the ladder. I think it was dateline NBC that had a documentary on that, where they had two models go out in day to day life getting by alongside two average looking people and guess who got more help with directions, attention, assistance when lost, etc...

Wow one must admit, for a few seconds such injustice sounds like stellar advertising for the Hijab.

prosa

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:57 am

In the U.S., you're also 50% less likely to get a call back for a job when you apply with a black name like "lakiesha," "jamal jackson," etc... vs Greg, Don, etc.

The book Freakonomics discussed that issue. From what I recall, the problem with names such as Lakiesha and Jamal is not so much that they identify the holder as black, but the perception - not an entirely incorrect one - that most people with those names are from poor backgrounds.

captaink

Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:36 pm

Quoting PROSA (Reply 11):
The book Freakonomics discussed that issue. From what I recall, the problem with names such as Lakiesha and Jamal is not so much that they identify the holder as black, but the perception - not an entirely incorrect one - that most people with those names are from poor backgrounds.

What does being poor have to do with your ability to do a particular job, hopefully leading you to wealth in the future.

What is the real issue?

jwenting

Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:54 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 12):
What does being poor have to do with your ability to do a particular job, hopefully leading you to wealth in the future.

Little per se, but it might limit your access to things like education and travel, thus limiting your means to get a higher paying job (which usually means getting an education and might mean travelling to get it and perform it).

Nothing racist about that, just plain old economics.

And there you have the main reason some social groups tend to stay poor, their culture tends to shun people away from getting educated in some way, or tends to link them to the group so they won't leave for a more promising area elsewhere.

Black youthgangs are a prime example of that. If you're educated you're shunned, if you try to leave you're killed.
In that they're no different from the regime of Pol Pot in Cambodia, where everyone with glasses was killed on general principle as was anyone with an education. People were banned on fear of death from leaving their collectives.

It's a simple tribal system, which sadly seems to be taking hold in inner cities and suburbs as youngsters are lured into gangs by promises of an easy life without responsibillities and a high income (from robbery and drugs) without hard work.
I wish I were flying

Cory6188

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:39 pm

you guys probably wouldn't have access to jstor unless you're affiliated with a university

I actually do have access to Jstor (thanks, Dartmouth), and I'd love to read that study. What was the title of it?

captaink

Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 13):

Facts are facts, and you are indeed correct. Wasn't really thinking from that angle though.

I was trying to link, (Laikesha however you spell that name)- Poor - Not being hired due to her name, possible background, and economic status.

Cheers