dtwclipper

Remains From WTC Site Found In Manhole

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:19 pm

Wow, five years later, and remains are still turning up in New York.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Human remains that appear to be from World Trade Center victims were found by utility workers in a manhole at the northern edge of the site, a Port Authority official said Thursday.

A Consolidated Edison crew doing excavation of the manhole at street level found the remains, some as big as arm or leg bones, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...IDTF&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

dl021

RE: Remains From WTC Site Found In Manhole

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:37 pm

I fear this will happen again, but it's not going to be as widespread as some other battlefields where we still have yet to recover all of the dead. Finds of human remains have happened relatively recently at Verdun, Gettysburg, Laos and other places where people were killed in unusual or hard to reach places.

This simply reinforces the idea that the entire area is hallowed ground and should be treated as such. We can build there, but let's remember what it is and set an appropriate memorial for the dead and missing.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Fokker Lover

Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:02 am

This makes me wonder if the remains were dragged there by rats, or some other animals living in the sewers.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

TransWorldSTL

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:11 am

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 2):
This makes me wonder if the remains were dragged there by rats, or some other animals living in the sewers.

Did the manhole lead to sewers, or was it just an entrance to ConEd Electric lines only?

UALPHLCS

Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 3):
Did the manhole lead to sewers, or was it just an entrance to ConEd Electric lines only?

It sounded from the news reports this morning that it was ConEd lines only.

However, I want to know how these bodies got there? Where they trapped? Where they only body parts as some reports have suggested?

It's a scary thought to think that some people MAY have been trapped and entombed.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

fumanchewd

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:47 am

There are reports that family members are angry that body parts are still being found. Three thousand people were burned and smashed to smithereens and they actually expected authorities to find every last bit and piece? Yeah sure
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

redngold

Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:48 am

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 3):

I suspect that just about any underground conduit is acccessible to rats.
I wonder - were they working in the manhole at the time, and the workers just closed up and fled? Or were they working and while fleeing did they leave the manhole cover open? There's got to be a lot of questions as to how those body parts got there.
Up, up and away!