prosa

Boy Scouts Offer Stupidest Merit Badge Ever

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:00 am

This is so absurd, I thought it had to be a joke - but it isn't:

But in the Los Angeles area, Scouts will now be able to earn their stripes by proselytizing about the evils of copyright piracy.
Officials with the local Boy Scouts and the Motion Picture Assn. of America on Friday unveiled the Respect Copyrights Activity Patch — emblazoned with a large circle "C" copyright sign along with a film reel and musical notes.

Story:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...46565.story?coll=la-home-headlines
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

mainMAN

RE: Boy Scouts Offer Stupidest Merit Badge Ever

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:20 am

The innocence of childhood.........gone forever!

Cadet57

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:28 am

Did anyone catch these?

Quote:
and visiting a video-sharing website to identify which materials are copyrighted. They may also watch a movie and discuss how people behind the scenes would be harmed if the film were pirated.

Quote:
In addition, the Scouts agreed to search Internet file-sharing sites and turn in sites and users they see violating the law.

Jesus, its boy scout Vigilantism.... This is really stupid. I for one am appalled at the Boy Scouts idea to launch this. I, as an eagle scout am very disappointed in what is basicly teaching kids "rat out your commie-pinko slut file sharing friends"
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

deltagator

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:41 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
They may also watch a movie and discuss how people behind the scenes would be harmed if the film were pirated.

I remember some ad that the MPAA ran before the trailers a few years back where some stage hand was crying about how movie piracy was costing him money. Not exactly sure how that happens since he gets paid as the movie is being filmed. Last time I checked the grips and gaffers don't get a percentage of the gross.

As for the Boy Scouts...real great badge to offer. Do you get an oak leaf cluster or something if you turn in one of your scouting buddies?
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AC773

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:48 am

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 1):

Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

speedbird747BA

Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:57 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 4):

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

luv2fly

Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:23 am

They can be spying little bastards though no homosexuals!
You can cut the irony with a knife

ltbewr

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:57 am

First of all, this is not a Boy Scout Merit Badge, but rather an activity badge that doesn't count toward Eagle requirement. To me it isn't a bad idea to educate young people of the issues of copyright and trademark violations, especially as to the ease and often abuse of many young teens to illegally download music and videos. It does tie in with the ethics that the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) tries to teach.
As to the ban of adult and openly known homosexuals as adult leaders in BSA groups, I believe that there is a confusion of 2 very different situations - of homosexuals and those who sexually assault minor boys. To me this is in part due to the liability and related insurance issues and a number of well documented cases of sexual assault of minor boys by adult scout leaders. For several years now, to be a registered adult leader involved with the BSA, one can be subject to a criminal check to see if one has any criminal records, especially as to sexual crimes.

PlymSpotter

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:10 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 7):
To me it isn't a bad idea to educate young people of the issues of copyright and trademark violations, especially as to the ease and often abuse of many young teens to illegally download music and videos. It does tie in with the ethics that the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) tries to teach.

checkmark 

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I read the news item. It is after all breaking the law to steal music, and I can imagine that probably 90% of kids don't even realise this is the case.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

L-188

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 7):
To me it isn't a bad idea to educate young people of the issues of copyright and trademark violations, especially as to the ease and often abuse of many young teens to illegally download music and videos. It does tie in with the ethics that the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) tries to teach

Agree completely.

My only concern is that they are teaching the MPAA's version of copyright law, not what copyright law actually says.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

MCIGuy

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:52 am

Haha, half of these kids are probably geeks with an inside and out knowledge of DVD Decrypter.  laughing 
Airliners.net Moderator Team

srbmod

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:22 am

This Eagle Scout has to say that really is the lamest Boy Scout badge ever. Non-merit badge special patches are supposed to be something unique to be earned, (Like from Philmont, Sea Base, Nat'l Jamboree, or the High Adventure program at some Scout Camps) this one is just stupid.

Cadet57

Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:28 am

Quoting MCIGuy (Reply 10):
Haha, half of these kids are probably geeks with an inside and out knowledge of DVD Decrypter.

Exactly my point! Now where is that Peer Guardian update....

Signed,

This Eagle Scout
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

NWOrientDC10

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:20 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 1):

Yes

The "big five" are using the Boy Scouts to do their work for them (for free, probably). Sounds like big business at work. I guess profits can be maximized by having people work for free.

http://musicians.about.com/library/big5/blbig5.htm

I have to admit, this is a smart idea.

Good Day  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

davestanKSAN

Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:37 pm

Next is the Junior Minute Men Merit Badge.

I can just see a kid in a Boy Scout uniform telling an illegal immigrant "Stop in your tracks mister or I'm gunna Pine Wood Derby your ass."

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!