TheSonntag
Topic Author

WW2 Bomb Explodes On The Autobahn - One Dead

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:20 pm

A bomb from WW2 exploded on the A3 Autobahn close to Aschaffenburg, while extension works of that motorway took place. One worker was killed, several cars were damaged by debris, the construction engine was completely destroyed...

It regularly happens that bombs from WW2 which didn't explode are found, but I have never heard of one exploding so far. A tragic accident...

ANCFlyer

RE: WW2 Bomb Explodes On The Autobahn - One Dead

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:30 pm

When I lived in Wiesbaden in the 1980s we would occasionally dispatch our EOD personnel to deal with unexploded ordnance.

My sympathies to the worker's family . . .  tombstone 

Another casualty of WW2.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

skidmarks

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:31 pm

Just goes to prove how war affects far beyond the actual fighting. Tragic and unnecessary but I suppose inevitable, given the amount of ordnance dropped.

How many years will it be before we stop digging up dangerous stuff like this?

Sympathies go out to the poor man killed and his family.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

DAL767400ER

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:36 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 2):

Probably forever.
Very sad to hear about the deaths in this accident, but thankfully, in the majority of cases dug-up bombs can be defused. Just last friday, 2 phosphorus bombs were dug up on a construction site in a densly populated neighborhood of Hamburg. Lord knows what could have happened if those weren't already inop.

cornish

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:53 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 2):

Seemingly forever. Here in the UK they always seem to be digging them up at various city building sites round the country.

Just goes to show the number of bombs that were actually dropped during the war. I've never seen actual estimated figures but i suspect the numbers would be incredible.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

RichardPrice

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:07 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 4):
Seemingly forever. Here in the UK they always seem to be digging them up at various city building sites round the country.

Not just city, about 5 years ago we had two dug up in our small commuter town while they were building a new school.

In the end they had to detonate both, for some godawful reason they did one at 5am on a Sunday, and the other one about 11am the same day. Now those were loud bangs!

TheSonntag
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:12 pm

Newest update, it is still uncertain what has happened, but they think it is a bomb. The 20 ton machine (around 400 000 lbs) was split into two parts, debris flew more than 500 metres (1500 feet) around. I think a WW2 bomb is the most likely result.

A tragic accident, but it seems that despite the tragic, it could have been much worse, given the fact that this is one of the stretches where there is most traffic...

TriStar500

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:22 pm

Does anyone know, what strategic installations were located in the vicinity of this bombing site during the Second World War? It would be highly unusual if a bomb of this magnitude would have been dropped on an Autobahn (and I even don't know, if the A3 was already built during the early 1940's).
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

cornish

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:26 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 7):
It would be highly unusual if a bomb of this magnitude would have been dropped on an Autobahn

Well given US levels of bombing accuracy  duck .

It surely wouldn't have been a British one  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

BCNGRO

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:27 pm

tombstone  to the worked who died.

Probably, he never thought he would be a WW2 victim...
At the bus station, buses stop. At the train station, trains stop. At my desk, I have a work station.

MYT332

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:28 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 8):
It surely wouldn't have been a British one

Depends if Skidmarks and Banco were the crew. I hear they accidentally bombed Canvey Island once in 1942!
One Life, Live it.

cornish

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:30 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 10):
Depends if Skidmarks and Banco were the crew. I hear they accidentally bombed Canvey Island once in 1942!

Yes well Skidz shouldn't have been flying. He was only the regimental mascot in the RAF you know  Wink

MYT332

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:34 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 11):
He was only the regimental mascot in the RAF you know

Well with the personnel shortages and all they accepted pretty much anybody back then!

Still, ANCFlyer was turned down.
One Life, Live it.

TheSonntag
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:44 pm

and I even don't know, if the A3 was already built during the early 1940's

Well, parts of the A3 were, in fact, built before the end of WW2, it is one of the oldest motorways. The part between Cologne and Frankfurt was finished before the war, what can be seen on the steep hills of the track. When it was extended, they kept the existing track, only broadened it instead of reconstructing the road, so it is a lot of fun to drive. Some bridges were destroyed in the last days of the war and reconstructed after the war.

However, the part between Aschaffenburg and W�rzburg is not that old, I think.

TriStar500

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:01 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 13):
However, the part between Aschaffenburg and W�rzburg is not that old, I think.

This makes it even more mysterious, how a bomb could be found this low under the surface.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

yooyoo

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:10 pm

This is tragic.

I have seen a documentary about construction in Berlin and there are companies whose sole purpose is to search and, if found, destroy old unexploded bombs prior to any construction. Berlin has a high water table and crappy soil conditions so these bombs are embedded in the earth quite deep.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

PanHAM

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:23 pm

Off hand I cannot tell how old this part is, but the A5 between Frankfurt and Darmstadt existed before WWII and the "Frankfurter Kreuz" interchange between the A3 and 5 did as well. The A3 continues into Bavaria passing Aschaffenburg and these exits, especially Goldbach and Hoesbach have been "old style" long into the 90s. So it may very well be a pre-war section. The bomb must not have been directly undernetah the surface, the road working machine was a rotary hoe and they cause a lot of vibration which must have eventually lead to the explosion.

Not too many military targets in that vicinity, except railway lines and bridges across the river Main. Frankfurt, Hanau, Offenbach had been the targets as well as Wuerzburg on the other side of the Spessart mountains.

The A3 will likely be closed in both directions until Tuesday evening,
powered by Eierlikör

PanHAM

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:36 pm

Latest news is that they are not even sure if it was a WWII bomb, could have been another explosive device as well. Reason - quote "the explosion was not that massive" unquote, Massive enough to split a rotary hoe into 2 large and many smaller pieces and have these flying around up to 500 metres.

[Edited 2006-10-23 14:52:30]
powered by Eierlikör

skidmarks

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:38 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 10):

Out of order, spotty youth! This is a serious thread and should be treated as such.

So stfu or you'll be beaten to an inch of your worthless, miserable life!

Andy  old 

cornish

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:41 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 18):
So stfu

Ah you're talking the language of the kids I see now Andy. Picked a fair bit up from the boyz while you cruise Douglas seafront in your chaved-up Saxo did you ?  Wink

ANCFlyer

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:44 pm

Does anyone know, what strategic installations were located in the vicinity of this bombing site during the Second World War?

Not necessarily any facility there . . . a wounded B-17 could simply have unloaded it's bomb load in hopes of lightening the ship so it could make it back across the channel.

Of course, if that section of the Autobahn was already built, it could have been a target itself . . . just like a railroad line.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

skidmarks

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:45 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 16):
Not too many military targets in that vicinity, except railway lines and bridges across the river Main. Frankfurt, Hanau, Offenbach had been the targets as well as Wuerzburg on the other side of the Spessart mountains.

There are many reasons for that being there, the major one being that if the bomber concerned had difficulties (like an Ju-88 nightfighter up his rear end) he may have jettisoned his load there. Which begs the question, are there any more around the vicinity?

Andy  old 

MYT332

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:46 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 18):
Out of order, spotty youth! This is a serious thread and should be treated as such.

I didn't start it Sir, it was 'im! *points*
One Life, Live it.

cornish

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:57 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 20):
a wounded B-17 could simply have unloaded it's bomb load in hopes of lightening the ship so it could make it back across the channel.

not to mention if they did have to crash land at an airfield it would have been wise to have removed the bombs first.......

PanHAM

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:58 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 21):
There are many reasons for that being there, the major one being that if the bomber concerned had difficulties (like an Ju-88 nightfighter up his rear end) he may have jettisoned his load there. Which begs the question, are there any more around the vicinity?

That is certainly a possibility, but if we start wild guessing we will never find the true reason.

There was just another report on local radio and from what they say the hole is 8 m wide and about 2,50 deep and that was certainly not a fire cracker making such a hole. The expert will find out and that is one of the reasons why they shut donw that part of the Autobahn for more than 24 hrs. Pretty messy traffic situation around Frankfurt.

powered by Eierlikör

TheSonntag
Topic Author

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:14 pm

Newest reports say 18km (11miles) traffic jam in one direction, 5km in the other direction... There are alternative routes available, but these are already under huge pressure normally, so that there will be huge disturbances in the north-south traffic...

PanHAM

Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:18 pm

Just for statistics - they found 200 tons of ordnance across Germany last year alone.