Joni
Topic Author

Ecosystem Collapse By 2050? -BBC

Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:24 pm

This is nothing that isn't yet known and hasn't been known for a long time, however still precious little is being done about it as planners still look at growth rates in economies as something to maximize.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6077798.stm

Luckily I don't have children, and by 2050 I'll be over 70 years old, with any luck too demented to even notice. Pity about the others, though.

captaink

RE: Ecosystem Collapse By 2050? -BBC

Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:00 pm

It is scary stuff man. I mean what are we doing to our planet? I am studying Environmental Science, and it is sad to see how we have ignored our planet over the years.
There is something special about planes....

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:27 pm

Quoting Joni (Thread starter):

Thread title is a Misnomer . . . . while the article is aired by the BBC, it's written by the World Wildlife Federation.

So, it's immediately biased, heavily so. So put it in perspective. I'd also recommend the thread title be changed, as this is giving the onus to the BBC when in fact, they aren't responsible.

That said:

Some good points.

Our consumables are disappearing at an alarming rate. We NEED an immediate alternate fuel source that can displace crude oil. However, since the oil industry has every major country begging for more and is in the pockets of many world leaders, that is going to be a damned hard thing to accomplish.

We need skylights to let in sunlight so we can turn off lights, we need better insulation so we can turn down the thermostats, we need solar panels to heat our hot water, we need to recycle our waste.

I do think 2050 is a bit silly, over ambitious, but hey, the World Wildlife Federation is known for it's alarmist uber-environmental, almost Green Peace like, rhetoric anyway.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:38 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
I do think 2050 is a bit silly, over ambitious, but hey, the World Wildlife Federation is known for it's alarmist uber-environmental, almost Green Peace like, rhetoric anyway.

Maybe, but I'd rather believe them on this issue than any Western government that's "in the pockets" of the oil companies.

2050 is a bit early. Let's hope the environment holds out till about 2150 when maybe we can all reach some enlightenment.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:43 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 3):
Maybe, but I'd rather believe them on this issue than any Western government that's "in the pockets" of the oil companies.

You think it's just the west????

Hmmmm, seems to me China is sucking oil at a RECORD pace. They're not exactly WESTERN are they?

How about Singapore. Use any oil there?

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 3):
2050 is a bit early. Let's hope the environment holds out till about 2150 when maybe we can all reach some enlightenment.

Hopefully it won't take til 2150, we better get on it however . . . or it might.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Joni
Topic Author

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:39 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):

Do you have some examples of how the WWF would be biased? (By biased I assume you mean biased in some other way than being biased toward wanting to maintain the planet habitable)

Here's a Reuters story on the same issue:

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...3&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage3

ANCFlyer

Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:45 pm

Quoting Joni (Reply 5):
Do you have some examples of how the WWF would be biased?

They have an agenda Joni like everyone else. Like the Republicans, like Ford Motor Company, like Green Peace, etc. Like anyone else, they're trying to sell their message and make a buck to support their cause . . .

Everything and everyone is biased to some degree. If it'll make you happy, I'll have a go at that question tonight when I get back to the computer.

I don't dispute the problem Joni . . . I see it right here in Alaska with our fishing industry and the dwindling supplies of some species . . . I dispute the neutrality of the source. Did you read my entire reply #2, or just stopped after I boldfaced WWF?

Klaus

Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:10 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):
They have an agenda Joni like everyone else.

That is their entire reason for existence - the point is if you can point out how the preservation of our ecosystem is a nefarious agenda...!

Joni
Topic Author

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:38 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):
They have an agenda Joni like everyone else.

This IMO isn't the same as "bias", which is a negative word implying impartiality or deceit:

bias ('baɪəs) n 1 mental tendency or inclination, esp. an irrational preference or prejudice

I agree that the Republicans can be "biased" if they don't count votes cast for Democrats, or that South Africa was "biased" against black people in the Apartheid era. WRT WWF, I don't agree that it's "biased", on the contrary it appears to be a remarkably clear-headed organization.

KROC

Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
How about Singapore. Use any oil there?

I'm not imprtessed with your tactics. Making sense and valid points will not work with me.

Signed, Singapore_Air