Boston92
Topic Author

BCS Bowl Projections Game

Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:21 pm

All right, we are, what, 5 or 6 weeks out of the final week of college football. Lets go ahead and play a little bit a game; a gentleman's bet if you do (Gentleman's bet is one in which there is no money)!
Go ahead and post who you think will be in and win the BCS National Championship. For example, Notre Dame over LSU. No scores are needed. Only your first projection will be recorded. You have until the Wednesday, Nov 1st to make a projection. Each week, standings will be updated and released. My selection will come after the weekend.

Have Fun!

GO IRISH
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

AirCop

RE: BCS Bowl Projections Game

Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:28 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Thread starter):
Go ahead and post who you think will be in and win the BCS National Championship.

As of 10/26 at 2227MST - Ohio State v. Team that will lose to them.

fxramper

Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:22 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):

As of 10/26 at 2227MST - Ohio State v. Team that will lose to them.

They lose to Michigan in Big Ten Championship; denied Bowl game entry. LMFAO!  yes 

Longhorns go to Fiesta Bowl as Big 12 Champions.  yes 

halls120

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:07 pm

Ohio State beats Texas.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Boston92
Topic Author

Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:14 pm

All right, lets keep these projections coming!
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

deltagator

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:03 am

Florida beats Ohio State 31-14

We need help but if it comes down to OSU unbeaten and everyone of note (not Louisiville or Rutgers) having one loss Florida has the best schedule to make the game if they are 12-1 after winning the SEC Championship.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

piercey

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:41 am

Either OSU vs. Louisville or (and this is not a typo) BC vs. WVU
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

Boston92
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:24 am

Okay, so far we have:

AirCop: OSU over N/A
FXramper: OSU over Michigan
Halls120: OSU over Texas
DeltaGator: Gators over OSU
Piercey: OSU over Louisville

All right, lets keep 'em coming.

Garri767

Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:48 am

ill be a loyal fan,

UT over Michigan/Ohiostate (OSU/MU will be a nailbiter, better go up to the bar and drive the local OSU/Michigan fans crazy!  Silly)

[Edited 2006-10-28 21:50:00]
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

fxramper

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:05 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 7):
FXramper: OSU over Michigan

I was just saying in their regular season meeting on 11/18/06, the unofficial Big Ten Championship game.

I like UT all the way!  bouncy 

garnetpalmetto

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:50 am

I see the BCS National Championship game being...

Ohio State vs. West Virginia, with Ohio State coming out on top.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

CMHSRQ

Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:52 am

I will say OSU-MU, as a rematch of the Nov 18th game. OSU wins that one as well. USC and WV both loose, and UM still stays # 2 in the BCS.

OSU goes on to be one of the best teams ever beating three # 2 ranked teams in a season!
The voice of moderation

deltagator

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:05 am

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 11):
I will say OSU-MU, as a rematch of the Nov 18th game.

Impossible since they Big10 doesn't have a conference championship game and they are in the same conference plus it is the last game of the year for both of them. The one thing that got Florida into the game in 1997 was that we won the SEC Championship after falling to FSU and then got some luck thus setting up the rematch in the Sugar Bowl.

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 10):
Ohio State vs. West Virginia

WVU is a good team but their schedule is too weak compared to other folks out there. I still see them dropping a game before the end of the year anyways. They could go undefeated and still be locked out of the BCS game if Florida or some of the other 1 loss teams in the SEC win out their schedule and win the conference championship. We'll see how it plays out in a couple of weeks. That said, I'm cheering for your Gamecocks tonight so we can get some breathing room over Tennessee in the SEC.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Boston92
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:18 am

Updates:

FXramper: Texas over Michigan
Garri767: Texas over OSU/Michigan (Choose one before Wednesday)
Garnetpalmetto: OSU over West Virginia
CMHSRQ: OSU over Michigan

Lets see some more projections!!

Garri767

Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 13):
(Choose one before Wednesday)

eh , fine, OSU  Wink
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

Boston92
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:05 pm

Garri767: Texas over OSU

chrisjake

Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:45 pm

Ohio State will beat Michigan for the national championship. and it will be a game for the ages.

deltagator

Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting Chrisjake (Reply 16):
Ohio State will beat Michigan for the national championship. and it will be a game for the ages.

As I've already explained that scenario is impossible.

Boston92
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:51 am

I can't believe that USC still has a #9 spot in the AP polls, and my ND stayed put at #11 after murdering NAVY.

deltagator

Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:03 am

Charlie Weis is going to bitch even more this week I suppose. He ticked me off last week when he complained about Florida "at home eating hamburgers" (undoubtably the ones he wanted to hoard for himself and his fat ass) jumping ahead of them. Uhmmm....Charlie, your team almost lost to an unranked team. Perhaps you didn't impress the voters enough to jump a spot or two.

Boston92
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:22 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 19):
Charlie, your team almost lost to an unranked team. Perhaps you didn't impress the voters enough to jump a spot or two.

They ALMOST lost to an unranked team, USC DID lose to an unranked team, in fact, they usually come very close to losing to an unranked team. Fresno ST last year, Washington St this year, UCLA this year, and it their luck finally ran out with OSU (Oregon St).

[Edited 2006-10-29 23:23:46]

halls120

Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 18):
I can't believe that USC still has a #9 spot in the AP polls, and my ND stayed put at #11 after murdering NAVY.

LOL, and Navy is suddenly a Division I powerhouse?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:33 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 20):

They ALMOST lost to an unranked team, USC DID lose to an unranked team

And they fell substantially, whats your point? You surely couldn't have thought they'd drop out of the top 10 just yet?
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

halls120

Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 22):
Quoting Boston92 (Reply 20):
They ALMOST lost to an unranked team, USC DID lose to an unranked team
And they fell substantially, whats your point? You surely couldn't have thought they'd drop out of the top 10 just yet?

ND fans are like Yankee fans. They expect everyone else to lie down in homage to the great golden dome.  stirthepot 

nonrevman

Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:44 am

There could be one way a rematch of OSU/Michigan could occur. If the loser of the November game was rated #1 by a large margin and the winner is the only remaining undefeated team, then you could have a rematch.

Because this is the BCS, it is not unheard of for a national champ contender to lose their last game and still make it to the title game. Just check out the histories of Oklahoma and Nebraska. A few years ago, Oklahoma lost to Kansas State in the Big 12 title game and still managed to enter the national championship game. In fact, I think they even retained the #1 ranking going in to it. Then, they lost again.

If you end up with one or no undefeated teams and several one loss teams, this could really get interesting.

As for a prediction, I will say OSU beats West Virginia. Just a guess.

Boston92
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:12 pm

If it was any other team, they would have. USC and West Virginia have had the easiest schedules out of anyone. And as a reward for having easy schedules, they have #3 and #4 spots. It's stupid. ND, has had a much harder schedule. With one loss (to a team way better than Oregon St), they drop from #3 to #14. USC has had an easy schedule and every game so far has been a nailbiter. They finally do lose, and makes almost no difference.

Boston92
Topic Author

Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:15 pm

Chrisjake: OSU over Michigan
Nonrevman: OSU over West Virginia

halls120

Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 25):

If it was any other team, they would have. USC and West Virginia have had the easiest schedules out of anyone. And as a reward for having easy schedules, they have #3 and #4 spots. It's stupid. ND, has had a much harder schedule. With one loss (to a team way better than Oregon St), they drop from #3 to #14. USC has had an easy schedule and every game so far has been a nailbiter. They finally do lose, and makes almost no difference.

You do drink the ND kool aid, don't you.

At the beginning of the season, USA Today said "Southern California, which was tied for third in the coaches voting, comes out with the toughest non-league schedule, playing Arkansas, Nebraska and Notre Dame — an average of 30 in terms of places in the Sagarin ratings.

The Fighting Irish's schedule is rated the second-hardest. Because Notre Dame is an independent, all 12 games on the Irish slate were factored in. They are tied with USC for third in the coaches poll."

Thus far into the current season, USC holds that lead.

#5 - USC - opponents have a combined record of 35-17, for 0.6731
#12 - ND - opponents have a 38-22, record, for 0.6333

You are right about West VA, though - they come in at #117 - their opponents are 23-28, 0.4510

Pope

Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 5):

We need help but if it comes down to OSU unbeaten and everyone of note (not Louisiville or Rutgers) having one loss Florida has the best schedule to make the game if they are 12-1 after winning the SEC Championship.

Let's just hope that we can make it past Vandy and SC. The way our offense is playing I think that's anything but a sure thing.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

KAUSpilot

Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:53 am

Texas over Michigan

Falcon84

Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:02 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 5):

Dream on. No one is gonna score 31 on OSU's defense.

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 11):
I will say OSU-MU, as a rematch of the Nov 18th game.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 12):
Impossible since they Big10 doesn't have a conference championship game and they are in the same conference plus it is the last game of the year for both of them.

Certainly not impossible, but not probable. If USC knocks off ND, that takes ND out of the picture; if Oregon knocks off USC, and USC knocks off Cal, that takes care of both USC and Cal; if West Virginia would beat Louisville, but then lose to Rutgers, that knocks both those teams out.

And it's always possible that Florida and Texas lose their conference championship games, which would knock them off.

Look how far both OSU and UM are ahead in the computer polls over #3 WVA.

Again, it's not likely, but it's not far-fectched, either. And it would be one of the most anticipated championship games of all time.

Right now I'd have to say, though, it'll be OSU vs. Louisville or West Virginia, and I just can't see either of those teams hanging with Ohio State. The best matchup, right now would be Florida/Ohio State.

Ohio state would win any of those scenarios. But to put my neck on the line, I think it'll be Ohio State 37, Louisville 10.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Boston92
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:51 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 27):
You do drink the ND kool aid, don't you.

No, I just can't stand how ND is one of the most hated teams if you don't like them. Everybody is waiting for the day they lose to bash them. But the day USC loses, all these excuses come out on how they should have won or something.

Boston92: OSU over West Virginia
Falcon84: OSU over Louisville
KAUSpilot: Texas over Michigan

Thanks everyone for your participation.

deltagator

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:13 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 31):
No, I just can't stand how ND is one of the most hated teams if you don't like them. Everybody is waiting for the day they lose to bash them.

ND sets themselves up for every piece of hatred they get. Even when they are mediocre, and that has been a fair amount over the recent few years, they get so much love from the media, the sportswriters, pollsters, and their damned "Subway Alumni" that could never even remotely grace the hallowed grounds of South Bend that you think that Jesus himself was playing quarterback until the Rapture comes around and their shit don't stink.

You don't see any other independent or the weaker conferences striking up a deal with the BCS the way they have. Luckily, more times then not they have fallen flat and been left out of the BCS despite their cries about how great they are with a 4 loss record and deserve to be included.

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 31):
But the day USC loses, all these excuses come out on how they should have won or something.

You heard no excuses from me. I'm a USC fan (after my first true allegiance to Florida) and they have played like a cardiac patient the last few weeks. It finally caught up with them though sooner than I thought it would. I hate that they lost since I like them but I'm glad they did because it makes room for Florida and exposed them for the weaker team they are this year.

Boston92
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 32):
You heard no excuses from me. I'm a USC fan

Its not mine nor ND's fault if NBC wants to have a contract with them for all home games. If you were the athletic director at USC and ESPN, or CBS asked you for a contract for all home games, would you say no. Of course not.

BTW, the ND AIR FORCE game is going to be on CSTV. Not to many people get CSTV, I am one of those lucky people who do though!

AC320

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:24 am

I'm going to venture a guess and say Michigan beats OSU while Florida wins out and posts a beat down on Auburn in the SEC final, impressing everyone and putting them against Michigan for the title.

Florida gets in gear at the main event, and pulls off 31-28 over Michigan.

[Edited 2006-10-31 00:42:57]
fuddle duddle

Boston92
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:26 am

Boston92: OSU over West Virginia
Falcon84: OSU over Louisville
KAUSpilot: Texas over Michigan
AC320: Gators over Michigan

ordryan28

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:44 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 19):
Uhmmm....Charlie, your team almost lost to an unranked team.

your point? just like USC almost losing to ASU, Washington, Washington State.....?

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 33):
BTW, the ND AIR FORCE game is going to be on CSTV. Not to many people get CSTV, I am one of those lucky people who do though!

I'm coming home that weekend. We have the dish, so I also get that. otherwise, I could have stayed at school and watched it, but it's time to hang out with the old friends from high school...

-Ryan
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

Falcon84

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:53 am

Quoting AC320 (Reply 34):
I'm going to venture a guess and say Michigan beats OSU

Just a differing opinion, having watched both:

Both OSU and UM have outstanding defenses. Michigan's was expected to be tough, but OSU lost 9 STARTERS on D last year, and there were tons of questions about them-well, that young defense is now the stingeist D in the nation, allowing like 6 1/2 points a game.

On offense, Michigan is just average. They don't have the speed and the weapons OSU has-Smith, Ginn, Gonzalez, Pittman, Robiskie.

It'll be a good game, but in The 'Shoe, I just can't see Michigan scoring enough to beat Ohio State. Go Buckeyes.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Boston92
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:54 am

Quoting Ordryan28 (Reply 36):
I'm coming home that weekend. We have the dish, so I also get that. otherwise, I could have stayed at school and watched it, but it's time to hang out with the old friends from high school...

This next week, when they play UNC, my local NBC station will be covering our local I-AA team, CAL POLY, so they will not have the ND game. BUT, the good news is, Directv just gave us Los Angeles channels too so we can get local channels in HD. So, after all of this, I will be able to watch it. YES!!!!!

deltagator

Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:51 pm

Florida wins out and posts a beat down on Auburn in the SEC final

I think we'll win out but without Arkansas falling apart Auburn will not win the West. Remember, the Hogs have the tiebreaker so they have to lose 2 games in conference for Auburn to take the lead out West.

If you were the athletic director at USC and ESPN, or CBS asked you for a contract for all home games, would you say no. Of course not.

Of course not. If given the opportunity I'd jump all over it. See below though...

Its not mine nor ND's fault if NBC wants to have a contract with them for all home games.

I think ND gets that contract based on a past glory that they haven't really had since the late 80s and their last championship. They are a good team but they aren't a great team as of late. I think NBC makes plenty of money off the advertising given the huge amount of those "subway alumni" out there but also many times over the past years would have loved to have shown other more marquee matchups.

AC320

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 39):
the Hogs have the tiebreaker so they have to lose 2 games in conference for Auburn to take the lead out West

True, but I'm betting on their remaining games with the Vols and LSU, and a mild thirst for revenge
fuddle duddle

Pope

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:33 am

Florida gets in gear at the main event, and pulls off 31-28 over Michigan.

Dude, stop drinking the kool-aid. Have you seen what our offense has been doing lately? I'm not sure we could put up 31 points on Vandy.

AC320

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 41):
Have you seen what our offense has been doing lately?

Still a lot of time between now and then to make adjustments. That's the one thing I trust Meyer to do is adapt, if slowly. A guy can hope the ball goes to those who can make plays and they get it in their heads to make that effort.
fuddle duddle

deltagator

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 41):
Dude, stop drinking the kool-aid.

Pope, I do believe we drink Gatorade down in Hoggtown. You living there should know that.  Wink

Pope

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting AC320 (Reply 42):
Still a lot of time between now and then to make adjustments. That's the one thing I trust Meyer to do is adapt, if slowly. A guy can hope the ball goes to those who can make plays and they get it in their heads to make that effort.

Did you read today's Alligator? The op-ed piece in sports is pretty funny.

Hopefully the threat of Tebow passing will help open up the offense. I'm not saying that we're not capable of lighting it up - I think the team has tremendous potential. But the facts remain, we haven't shown much offense against good teams this year.

Boston92
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:58 pm

Hey, has Notre Dame always had a good hockey team? I follow college hockey just as much as college football, and I rarely see, or ever thought I see ND in the rankings. My team, would be the Wildcats of UNH, which stand just a bit below ND in the rankings.

Sorry about my off topic question!

Boston92
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:47 am

The game will be extended until the start of the Louisville, WV game starts tommorow. 7:30 pm est.

saxdiva

Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:40 am

Put me down for OSU over WV.

To the USC/ND controversy, I think both teams are a little overrated this year. My prediction is that Cal will knock off USC, and USC will hand ND their second loss.

Boston92
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:08 pm

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 47):
To the USC/ND controversy, I think both teams are a little overrated this year. My prediction is that Cal will knock off USC, and USC will hand ND their second loss.

USC is always overrated, as for ND, no way. They are without a doubt the most hated football team out there. Here me out:

Preseason, USC has a tough opening weeks with Arkansas and Nebraska with two dominant wins. But then Washington St, Washington, and Arizona St were all nailbiters to the end and USC getting Lucky. Then came Oregon St, who finally beat USC because USC did not have the luck they had before. They lose to a team no where near any rankings, and fall 5 spots.

Okay, now ND, they in the presoason had a schedule looking equally as challenging than USC's. They come out with a huge win over Penn St, and then take their first loss very early in the season to a TOP TEN TEAM and they drop TEN spots. USC loses to a nobody team LATER in the season and only drop 5. What the hell?

If ND would have lost that game to UCLA, by God, it would have been because of those damn officials. I don't know what they call this elsewhere, but where I live, that is CHEATING (Not on UCLA, but on the PAC-10). If they lose to USC, the officials probably would have a big thing to do with it. Nobody likes ND (especially the refs, and the AP). This makes me furious, I wonder how this makes the team feel.

jpetekyxmd80

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 48):

Okay, now ND, they in the presoason had a schedule looking equally as challenging than USC's. They come out with a huge win over Penn St, and then take their first loss very early in the season to a TOP TEN TEAM and they drop TEN spots. USC loses to a nobody team LATER in the season and only drop 5. What the hell?

Rankings fluxuation is more pronounced earlier in the season. When you lose later in the season, there is a greater sample size and body of work to go on. Its only logical. ND drops 10 spots early, they keep winning and climb again. USC loses later on, and the rest of their season cushions their drop. So look what we have.....2 good 1-loss teams at just about the same spot. Got it? Also, ND's loss was far more damning to them. A team wanting to be in the top 5 and getting absolutely demolished under the golden dome in the first couple of weeks, compared with a road loss in a shootout. But my point: as the season progresses, the magnitude of ranking jumps and falls lessens.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009