klm672

How To Get Oil Off A Car Window

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:51 am

Not sure how this happened but for many months if not a whole yr now I've had oil on my windshield and I've tried everything, soap and water, dish soap, and now rubbing alcohol. any ideas? Its really bad at night when the the car's lights are coming towards me and it smudges when it rains.

Thanks,
Andre

checkraiser

RE: How To Get Oil Off A Car Window

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:55 am

Try paint thinner

filler
filler
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

arluna

Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:56 am

Try a Coke, or a Pepsi or an RC. I have used it before and it worked, of course my car got pretty sticky and stayed that way until I washed it! Smile

J

L410Turbolet

Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:15 am

Also don't forget to buy new windshield wipers before trying anything else.  Wink

Aeroflot777

Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:54 am

Yeah try various sodas. Plus HOT water, cold water won't do anything, it has to be boiling.

Aeroflot777

NWA742

Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:13 am

Smile

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Bobster2

Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:21 am

What kind of oil? If it's silicon oil or grease, it may never come off. Silicon oil is not soluble in anything and seems to bond to the glass. Petroleum-based motor oil should come off with soap and water, or an non-polar organic solvent like hexane.

[Edited 2006-10-27 23:44:01]
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

AsstChiefMark

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:05 am

IMPORTANT... Before you do anything, make sure you have a bucket of warm water with DAWN dish detergent in it next to you. Also have the garden hose ready. Solvents like those mentioned usually degrade wipers, door seals, and gaskets within a few seconds. Use as little solvent as possible and immediately wash off rubber and plastic parts immediately with the soapy water.

Paint thinner is a catch-all name for several different solvents. These include:

Acetone
Mineral spirits
Mineral turpentine (turps)
Wood turpentine
Naphtha
Toluene
Xylene

Wood turpentine is good for dissolving tree sap, tar, grease, and oil-based paint. THIS WOULD BE MY FIRST CHOICE.

Mineral spirits is good for dissolving VARNISH. That's it.

Lacquer thinner dissolves lacquer. That's it. It can permanently damage car paint on contact. Therefore, it's always the last resort. In other words, if nothing else works, try a LITTLE lacquer thinner.

Denatured alcohol sucks. It's weak and works best on shellac.

Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) is highly caustic and isn't work trying.

Acetone cleans oil, soot, and road grime.

Toluene and xylene are linked to cancer and will ruin many automotive rubber and plastic. Good for removing heavy, waxxy hydrocarbons.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:37 am

Do you have glass insurance? My insurance covers glass damage 100%. Just park in the ghetto overnight...problem solved Big grin

Wink
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

GuitrThree

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:55 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 8):
Just park in the ghetto overnight...problem solved

Wow.. this from a crew member. A little distasteful, I think.. but then again, I'm not a mod..

Anyway, if your windshield is ruined by anything, including an oil that can't be removed, then insurance will pay for it to be changed, just as if it was hit by a rock. This is nothing more than if you drove over some wet paint and/or tar and it ruined your cars finish.

Good Luck. Dirty Windshields are the worst.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

Aeroflot777

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 9):
Wow.. this from a crew member. A little distasteful, I think.. but then again, I'm not a mod..

What? Are you saying a crew member can't comment like that. Why not?! They are regular people, lol, not some robots monitoring our convos in threads. Jeez.
Take it easy there!

-Aeroflot777

CastleIsland

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:21 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 7):
Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) is highly caustic

Well, it may be an irritant, but it cannot be difined as caustic, as that requires a high pH, such as that found in concentrated soda ash (sodium hydroxide) or potash (potassium hydroxide) solutions.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 7):
Toluene and xylene are linked to cancer

Nope. They are not.  tongue 
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Queso

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:48 am

Well, first of all, use the ol' reliable to cut the oil or grease....

...then just wash it off with a good dishwashing detergent...

Bobster2

Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:57 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 11):
cannot be difined as caustic, as that requires a high pH,

I used to think that was true, but now I'm not so sure. There was a thread recently where somebody said acid rain is caustic to airplane windows. I almost posted a response saying that acid rain can't be caustic, only bases can be caustic. But then I looked in the dictionary and decided to remain silent. Look at the dictionary and you'll see the problem.  Smile
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

Queso

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:01 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 13):

You might want to check CI's credentials, not to mention his "occupation" in his profile.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:25 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 8):
Just park in the ghetto overnight...problem solved

He might not have to go that far, Kai.

I have $0 deductible on comprehensive, which includes glass. If I were in a similar situation, I'd call an auto glass company of my choice (per state law). They'd come out and try to clean my windshield. If they couldn't get it clean they'd have to replace it. Technically, it could be a visibility safety issue, especially in the rain.

That might be the best choice for Andre if he has similar coverage or a low deductible. Also, the glass company would be responsible for any rubber, plastic, or paint damage they cause during the cleaning process.

Years ago, I had my windshield replaced for a similar reason. It had become lightly sandblasted while following an uncovered  gnasher  sand truck just east of St. Paul. It was only a minor annoyance and was noticeable only while driving "into" the sun on bright winter days. After a year, I finally called my insurance company to see if anything could be done...coatings, polishing, etc. The insurance company representative all but ordered me to call a glass company and have it replaced immediately. She said they'd rather pay a few hundred dollars for a new windshield now than risk having to pay tens of thousands of dollars following a crash in the future related to a pitted windshield.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Bobster2

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:32 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 14):
his "occupation"

I'm a professional chemist. Does that make you feel better?

Not that it matters. All we're talking about here is the ability to look at a dictionary. Words have different meanings depending on context. In the context of a chemistry textbook or journal, caustic has a specific meaning. In the context of a medical textbook or journal, the meaning of caustic is different. In the context of an aviation forum, the context and appropriate word usage is different yet again. That's all I tried to point out.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:55 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 11):
Nope. They are not

OK. I was going on information that I learned 25 years ago in histotechnology school. We used toluene and xylene extensively during the deparaffinization phase while creating slides of pathological tissue.

Mark

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:47 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 9):

Hmm, I guess I forgot to add the [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags...
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

flyingbronco05

Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:09 am

Can you burn it off?  bigthumbsup 
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge