102IAHexpress
Topic Author

Why Do The Brits Hate Halloween?

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:13 pm

Just curious as I am of the belief that Halloween is our best holiday here in America. I admit Halloween is meaningless and commercial ridden; as is all our other holidays, but at least it’s an equal opportunity holiday. Pretty much everyone can and does celebrate it.

It’s pretty cool, that no matter how poor you are, you can knock on some strangers’ door and you will be treated to free candy for doing absolutely nothing!
I have my own house now, so I’ll be greeting the neighborhood problem childs with candy in the hopes they won’t TP my house. But I’ll be prepared if they get any ideas. Man, I love it.
But our friends across the pond seem to hate Halloween.

Quote:
...in a Halloween discussion group on Mumsnet, a popular mothers’ Web site here. The tips being traded were not about how to make pumpkin soup, but about how to repel would-be trick-or-treaters. “I’ve thought about removing the cover from my doorbell so they electrocute themselves,” one participant wrote.

What gives?
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/31/wo...13a03d87d&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Kieron747

RE: Why Do The Brits Hate Halloween?

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:19 pm

Well, I for one don't mind Halloween at all, and tonight after work shall go to the Northumberland Arms and have some halloween beer.

I think the propblem is that recently it was observed in a poll that many UK residents feel threatened by gangs of youths roaming the streets behaving in an antisocial manner. Halloween is feared to increase such gangs.

For me, the whole evening is a winner, as all of the girls out and about will be dressed up in sexy costumes, and I am off work tomorrow!  Wink

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

cornish

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:25 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Thread starter):
Just curious as I am of the belief that Halloween is our best holiday here in America. I admit Halloween is meaningless and commercial ridden; as is all our other holidays, but at least it’s an equal opportunity holiday. Pretty much everyone can and does celebrate it.

and here it isn't even a holiday - just a normal work or school day. That may have much to do with the fact that so many of us just aren't interested in it particularly. Its fun for small kids, but for everyone else its just really another night of TV, the pub or whatever.

Perhaps if it was a public holiday we might be more enthusiastic  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

cosec59

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:27 pm

I think Ryan summed it up perfectly in another thread

Quote:
Its gone way too far over this side of the pond, when i think of trick or treat i conjure up an image depicted in the film E.T with kids out dressed up and having parties.I guess the american ideal to me.

But, where i am in reality it is an excuse for Robbery, Criminal Damage and Assaults. Even the kids that are more well behaved through the rest of the year seem to see it as an excuse and acceptable behaviour.
To make matters worse the egging has already started 4 or 5 days prior...

No fun here im afraid.

Ryan
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

MYT332

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:32 pm

I'm going dressed as JGPH1A tonight.
One Life, Live it.

QANTASforever

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:35 pm

I think it has something to do with this guy:

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

airbusA346

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:39 pm

Because it is another excuse for people to cause trouble and vandalise things.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

kazzie

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:39 pm

I love it! i was going to go out 2nyte... cant now though!
Bazinga punk.

aerorobnz

Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:55 pm

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 5):
I think it has something to do with this guy:

Victor is a role model for us all. when I'm retired I want to be just like him..

I always put out signs telling anyone that I don't celebrate halloween, and that anyone who knocks will not be made welcome. It's glorified bribery "give me something or else I'll egg your house" as far as I'm concerned, they're all fat little rich kids that don't need to beg for food at all.

It's nothing a highpressure hose full of water can't fix however.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

ryangooner

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:10 pm

Its the busiest night of the year for Police i know that much, only new years eve comes close.

I think its a big night for insurance claims too!!

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

JGPH1A

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:17 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 4):
I'm going dressed as JGPH1A tonight.

Do Asda sell a "cultured, intelligent, sophisticated and stunningly gorgeous" costume then ? Even if they did, you still wouldn't be convincing.

You should go as Kirkie rather - you just need a used syringe sticking out of your arm, and a deep-fried Mars Bar, and you're good to go.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

oly720man

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:18 pm

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 9):
Its the busiest night of the year for Police i know that much

This was last night, in Liverpool

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6101232.stm

"More than 1,000 police officers were on duty in Merseyside on Mischief Night to combat anti-social behaviour."

My wife used to teach at a "special school" in London and after one Halloween one of the kids said that some old geezer didn't give him anything for trick-or treat so he got a couple of bricks through his windows.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

cornish

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:19 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 10):
You should go as Kirkie rather - you just need a used syringe sticking out of your arm, and a deep-fried Mars Bar, and you're good to go.

not to mention spend the evening lying in gutter stinking of alcohol  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

JGPH1A

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:21 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 12):
lying in gutter stinking of alcohol

Kirkie can't afford alcohol. Alex would have to lie in the gutter stinking of drain cleaner.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cornish

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:30 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 13):
Alex would have to lie in the gutter stinking of drain cleaner.

While dressed as Dr Frankenfurter in an attempt to look like you tonight Big grin

legoguy

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:35 pm

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 1):
tonight after work

What!?!?! I thought you would be staying home with your ear to the wall!!!

I fear that some British kid's often go to far with fireworks. Once they get their hands on them...you know that something bad will happen. However if there is a proper fireworks display on, it can be enjoyable. However if staying at home, turn out the lights and pretend you're not home. Avoid the trick or treaters. Save the treats for yourself!
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

MYT332

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:42 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 10):
Do Asda sell a "cultured, intelligent, sophisticated and stunningly gorgeous" costume then ?

No but they do sell bin liners so I Can emulate your attire.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 13):
Kirkie can't afford alcohol. Alex would have to lie in the gutter stinking of drain cleaner.

Is that what me and him will drink tomorrow afternoon then? Urgh.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 14):
While dressed as Dr Frankenfurter in an attempt to look like you tonight

Does this mean I have to go buy some sausages?
One Life, Live it.

JGPH1A

Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:59 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 14):
While dressed as Dr Frankenfurter in an attempt to look like you tonight

That rich, coming from a man who took advantage of the dismantling of the Grimsby herring fleet to finally get enough netting together to make one pair of stockings - enough for 25,000 kg of herring or one of your thighs  Smile

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 16):
Is that what me and him will drink tomorrow afternoon then? Urgh.

Probably. Domestos "Ocean Fresh" with ice, lemon and a cherry.

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 16):

No but they do sell bin liners so I Can emulate your attire

Bin liners ? Mr. Balenciaga will scratch your eyes out !

cornish

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:04 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 17):
Bin liners ? Mr. Balenciaga will scratch your eyes out !

But they are D&G bin liners Big grin

enough for 25,000 kg of herring or one of your thighs

Yes i do indeed have masculine muscular hairy thighs, so stop drooling you old tart, I'm not one of your sailor boyz down the docks  Wink

Probably. Domestos "Ocean Fresh" with ice, lemon and a cherry.

Otherwise known as WKD Blue....

BMIFlyer

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:07 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Thread starter):

Coz it givs the Chavs an excuse to behave even worse than they normally do.  Angry

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

JGPH1A

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:08 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 18):
Yes i do indeed have masculine muscular hairy thighs, so stop drooling you old tart, I'm not one of your sailor boyz down the docks

yuck   vomit  - and you still wear fishnets ? BIG mistake - no wonder the punters are staying away in droves.

But they are D&G bin liners

D&G ? Might as well be bin-liners - cheap, chavvy rubbish.

Otherwise known as WKD Blue....

Oh - they rebranded it ?  Smile

skidmarks

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:15 pm

Ah, JG surfaces for a debate on Halloween and turns it into a slanging match re dress code! Big grin

Halloween sucks, should be banned and anyone taking part should be incarcerated with Cornish and JGPH1A for all eternity! Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

cornish

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:22 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 21):
Halloween sucks, should be banned and anyone taking part should be incarcerated with Cornish and JGPH1A for all eternity!

Oi why do I have to be incarcerated with that old tart as well ?  grumpy 

turns it into a slanging match re dress code!

Dress code is important in some of the classier establishments some of us frequent. We are not talking dress codes of comfy beige cardies and slippers down at your local Darby & Joan club Skidz  Wink

Thom@s

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:24 pm

Halloween sucks

C'mon, you're only saying that because people try to return you to your home every time you go trick or treating.

"Oh, you poor old man, come in and have some Werthers originals while we call someone..."

Thom@s Big grin
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:30 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 19):

Too right.

Horrid hoodlums (spelling).
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

JGPH1A

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:31 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 22):
Oi why do I have to be incarcerated with that old tart as well ?

I was about to ask the exact same thing ! I'm having hideous visions of Baby Oil Night again  yuck 

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 23):
"Oh, you poor old man, come in and have some Werthers originals while we call someone..."

rotfl 

ME AVN FAN

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:46 pm

to the Northumberland Arms

there used to be, quite near to that pub, an Italian restaurant and gelateria which was really good. Is that restaurant still existing ?

Kieron747

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:48 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 26):
there used to be, quite near to that pub, an Italian restaurant and gelateria which was really good. Is that restaurant still existing ?

There is! You are talking to the one on Tottenham Court Road I presume?

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:50 pm

think the propblem is that recently it was observed in a poll that many UK residents feel threatened by gangs of youths roaming the streets behaving in an antisocial manner. Halloween is feared to increase such gangs.

In Zurich, there used to be the so-called "school-sylvester" on the very early morning of 23rd December, which increasingly degenerated into an "antisocial" hooligan event, during which increasing damage was done. It was practically replaced by Halloween which is in the evening and therefore "under social control" by all the people also around during the "early night". So that it is rather an improvement for all.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:52 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 2):
. Its fun for small kids, but

Why not ? Here in ZRH it as far as I can see it primarily is a fun-time for school-children, and a replacement for the "gone" school-sylvester.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:02 pm

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 11):
This was last night, in Liverpool
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6101232.stm
"More than 1,000 police officers were on duty in Merseyside on Mischief Night to combat anti-social behaviour."

Bad. BUT, are you sure that the "anti-social behaviour" would not have occurred at just another time in more or less the same place done by more or less the same people ?

Quoting Kieron747 (Reply 27):
here used to be, quite near to that pub, an Italian restaurant and gelateria which was really good. Is that restaurant still existing ?
There is! You are talking to the one on Tottenham Court Road I presume?

-
Yes indeed. I learnt to know it in autumn (Sep-Dec) 1972, when there were mostly dreadful eating places in London. There however was the (Arab-Iranian) Soraya-Restaurant in Gloucester Road, the (Lebanese) Byblos-Restaurant in HighStreet Kensington, beside a nice number of excellent Indian restaurants (my favourite was a place just in Dean St or Wardour St; still existing and done by a nephew of the old master) all over the place. And I about twice per week went to Goodge Street to enjoy the good icecream there !
-

ryangooner

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:20 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 30):
Bad. BUT, are you sure that the "anti-social behaviour" would not have occurred at just another time in more or less the same place done by more or less the same people ?

Not on this scale, this is in fact nationwide and not just seen in Liverpool, this time of year is a busy time, halloween and firework night being the worst period for anti social behaviour in the UK.

This time of year is an excuse for youths to run riot! (And in some cases it can technically be classed as such!)

Ryan

RAPCON

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:31 pm

Taking into consideration the dilapidated look of some of those depressed mill towns that one can find in England, I would recommend that instead of Halloweed, they ought to adopt that a Detroit tradition: DEVIL'S NIGHT!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Night
MODS CAN'T STOP ME....THEY CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN ME!!!

ME AVN FAN

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:52 pm

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 31):
Not on this scale, this is in fact nationwide and not just seen in Liverpool, this time of year is a busy time, halloween and firework night being the worst period for anti social behaviour in the UK.
--
This time of year is an excuse for youths to run riot! (And in some cases it can technically be classed as such!)

-
OK, let me turn my question around. Don't you think that these riots would have taken place at another date and time, and another pretext, but in the very same framework ? Is Halloween really the reason for the "outbreak" of that trouble ? To be honest, whatever your answer to this is, my conclusion simply is that these riots would have taken place anyway. People in question just were looking out for a nice pretext !
-

ryangooner

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:07 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 33):
OK, let me turn my question around. Don't you think that these riots would have taken place at another date and time, and another pretext, but in the very same framework ? Is Halloween really the reason for the "outbreak" of that trouble ? To be honest, whatever your answer to this is, my conclusion simply is that these riots would have taken place anyway. People in question just were looking out for a nice pretext !

No, these mini riots on this scale do not happen at other times, yes there are the same old anti social behaviour problems that happen all year round but not on this scale, those 1000 officers in Liverpool just didnt turn up for work one day and get tasked with the problem, The Police plan for Halloween every year, there is a clear problem during this period every year.

Halloween is the reason for this outbreak every year, as i said previously kids / youths who dont normally engage in anti social behaviour year round come out on the 31st October and use "Halloween" as an excuse to go on the rampage.

I have taken many a kid home who's parents are disgusted at their behaviour and only sent them out peacefully "trick or treating".
I have also taken kids home who's parents are either drunk at home or down the pub or just dont care, these kids are the ones that do commit anti social behaviour year round but in this period it is an excuse that the behaviour is accepted because the word "trick" is now taken as violence in one way or another.

This is my answer to this, you can draw your own conclusions but i'd like to see where you draw those conclusions from.

Ryan

baroque

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:07 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 22):
Oi why do I have to be incarcerated with that old tart as well ? grumpy

Would you believe that he protests. We will send Chaney round to arrange some water sports.

Has the problem of "doctored" candies gone away? When I spent a Halloween in the US, all the kids were warned not to eat any of the candy gifts - which was rather sad and sort of wrecked a large part of the exercise I thought.

Victor

PlymSpotter

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:35 pm

That poster comes from Devon & Cornwall constabulary, and I'm glad that they are trying to stop it. A couple of yeas ago the "trick or treaters" set fire to our neighbours beech tree hedge, threw eggs and dog muck at every-bodies houses and then tried to set fire to our front door and nearly did the same to our car. The police were here in just a few minutes, and although they couldn't be sure of who had been causing the damage, they pretty much knew it was a group of kids from the local chavvy council estate. They were aged 6 to about 15.

At that younger age they are not responsible enough to be let out on their own, let alone with a bunch of older kids who were probably drunk and of course trouble will occur. Another little Halloween prank a few years ago was firing fireworks at the aircraft on final approach to Plymouth airport, dozens of them. Mindless individuals. Its just an excuse now for them to get pissed, behave like even bigger assholes than they really are, and cause damage. Of course, there are those people who are responsible, the parents who take their children all dressed up around the local neighbourhood so I do feel sorry for them that its being spoiled by the all to often burberry clad jerks who don't even bother with a costume. That just equals begging, and I refuse to accept it.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Pope

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:22 am

If you had to go to something called a "fancy dress" party I'd bet you'd be pissed too.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

AerospaceFan

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:40 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 37):
If you had to go to something called a "fancy dress" party I'd bet you'd be pissed too.

rotfl 

True, that!

Big grin
What's fair is fair.

scbriml

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:50 am

Why do we hate it? It's an American thing that 10-15 years ago meant nothing in the UK.

I've just had a bunch of American brats ringing my doorbell (the disadvantage of living in an American "enclave" overseas). I just ignored them. It was great, they were whining all the way down the path. "But Mommy, why don't they open the door?"

I need to get me one of those posters. yes 

Victor is my idol. grumpy  old git.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

ME AVN FAN

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:04 am

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 34):
come out on the 31st October and use "Halloween" as an excuse to go on the rampage.

well, they would have used another excuse for their mis-doings

FlyKev
Crew

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:18 am

I think it may be because of the amount of "chavs", "yobs" and "hoodies", who generally use the holiday as an excuse to cause more damage, violence etc.

Personally, I don't see what's wrong with it, and nor do my mates. Although i feel I'm too old for trick or treating myself, my younger sister is going, and there will be a pumpkin outside our door to tell people that we have sweets. (This year its mars bars... so I'm hoping for less trick or treater's as i will eat what's left  Wink )

Happy Halloween all.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

AerospaceFan

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:20 am

Wow! I didn't know that the American tradition of Halloween was actually making its way to Ye Olde England.

What's next? July 4th?

Big grin
What's fair is fair.

PlymSpotter

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 42):
What's next? July 4th?

How about NO  Wink

But then again it wouldn't surprise me actually  Yeah sure
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

airbusA346

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 43):

*cough*Bush-Blair*couch*  Wink

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

AerospaceFan

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:40 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 43):
But then again it wouldn't surprise me actually  sarcastic 

It shouldn't surprise you at all, since turnabout is fair play, and according to some on the left, America already has its version of King George.

[Edited 2006-10-31 17:42:36]
What's fair is fair.

ltbewr

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:41 am

Halloween has become even bigger in the States in the last seveal years, especially for adults. For many, it is an excuse to be someone that they are not, and just have an excuse to have fun. Modern day Halloween was from Roman Catholicism adopting from pre-Chrisitian religions their day of honoring their dead. In the last 60-70 years, it has become a very secular holiday.
There is conterversy as to Halloween as it has developed in the UK and the USA for the serious vandalism it encourages with it's related policing costs, as well as conflicts with certain religious beliefs. You also have the risks of perverts of children going out too and in some places, such convicted persons now have to stay in their homes much of Halloween day and check in with their law enforcement agencies and not give out candy. Many communites now have townwide programs for kids to participate in rather than go door to door for candy to reduce the risks from doing that too, including accidents from being hit by cars, etc.
You have active Christians who despise Halloween due to what they believe are 'satanic' and anti-Christian components. Then you have Muslims and people of other faiths who cannot condone, won't and will not support the holiday due to their faith beliefs. This means some public schools have had to end Halloween programs so as not to put any kids out of the normal of their fellow classmates.
Then you have the CFB's (cheap F'n Bast*rtds) who have no sense of humor or too cheap to want to buy and give away candy.

ryangooner

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 40):
Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 34):
come out on the 31st October and use "Halloween" as an excuse to go on the rampage.

well, they would have used another excuse for their mis-doings

So what your saying is if it wasnt for Halloween they would be causing this mayhem in another time and place and for another reason?

So why is it that they all seem to do it on Halloween, maybe in Switzerland you dont get this problem!
But here in the UK believe me this is what Halloween has become, just beacause its Halloween.

I see this year in year out through my line of work so i guess im qualified to comment, All of your comments are just presumptions...

Ryan

BigOrange

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:26 am

Because it's a day of legal extortion by the kids who go round trick or treating. Unlike here in the US, they are not happy with candy, they want money, and nothing less than a pound coin will do i.e. $1.80

Quoting Cornish (Reply 2):
and here it isn't even a holiday - just a normal work or school day.

It's the same here. A holiday here is just a day like Halloween or Mother's Day. A day off is a vacation day.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:50 am

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 47):
So why is it that they all seem to do it on Halloween, maybe in Switzerland you dont get this problem!
But here in the UK believe me this is what Halloween has become, just beacause its Halloween.

-
I simply do NOT believe that they just do what they do because of Halloween. They would do so anyway, simply using another excuse. In Zurich, as mentioned, we had "school sylvester" for the young people, in the early morning. Now, Halloween is in the evening, which is far easier for all. In the years after the School-Sylvester was abolished and before Halloween came up, the trouble simply occurred on a variety of other dates.
-
No, the only way to tackle the matter is to establish precise dates for "British Halloween" and then also establish a full police presence for the term in question. And to mobilize policemen with a good "connection" to young people, police school instructors and thelike, people with some understanding.
-