Pope
Topic Author

New Orleans - The Violence Continues

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:12 am

Quote:
A gunman wounded five people in a French Quarter bar early Tuesday, the latest violence in a city struggling to rein in crime as it recovers from Hurricane Katrina.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/31/D8L3OQJO0.html

Why are we spending a dime on this city? We should evacuate everyone and let it sink into the marshes from which it emerged.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

airtran737

RE: New Orleans - The Violence Continues

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting Pope (Thread starter):
Why are we spending a dime on this city? We should evacuate everyone and let it sink into the marshes from which it emerged

Well maybe Nola wants to reclaim its crown of Americas Most Violent City back from St. Louis. I agree with you. People called me a bastard when I voiced my hope for another hurricane to come this year and wipe that hell hole off the map and wash all of the debris out to sea that way we would have to pay for more cleanup costs. New Orleans should not be rebuilt. Or if we do rebuild it, call in the Dutch and have them design the levy system. Flame me, i can take it.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Cadet57

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:22 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 1):
I voiced my hope for another hurricane to come this year and wipe that hell hole off the map and wash all of the debris out to sea that way we would have to pay for more cleanup costs. New Orleans should not be rebuilt. Or if we do rebuild it, call in the Dutch and have them design the levy system. Flame me, i can take it.

Yeah.. you are a bastard. What a retarded thing to say. Im sure MSYtristar and Tom In No would have something to say about your stupidity. Furthermore, im sure these folks would have something to say as well: MSY New Year's Meetup! (by Texan Oct 6 2006 in Non Aviation)
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Pope
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
Furthermore, im sure these folks would have something to say as well: MSY New Year's Meetup! (by Texan Oct 6 2006 in Non Aviation)

Why would anyone want to go to a city that has a murder rate that is 10x the national average to spend New Years? If they have something to say, they can either say it here or come visit me in Gainesville where (bar the occassional mass murderer) it's safe.

jcs17

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:36 am

I fully agree with the first two posters and I said it after the post-Katrina outcry ("George Bush hates black people!"). New Orleans was fully romanticized into a charming, peaceful melting pot when in fact it was crime-riddled, corrupt, and a welfare-case in the truest sense of the word. Yeah, lets rebuild the Lower Ninth Ward, great idea. Lets allow the crime-riddled ghettos to come back. If I was in charge of rebuilding New Orleans, I would've said "F that," and proceeded to bid contracts for luxury home subdivisions and golf courses. I would want the commercial services to build up and make NO a desireable place to live. I would never want the ghetto to come back. In my mind, they would be Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi's problem.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

deltagator

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:40 am

I'm going to sit back and get some popcorn for this one.

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):
come visit me in Gainesville where (bar the occassional mass murderer) it's safe.

Ah the good old days, getting fitshaced at the Copper Monkey and the Purple Porpoise. Good times, easy sorority girls, and plenty of booze.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

mspguy

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:50 am

Why would we want it to get wiped out? Let the low life crime breakers stay in that city. I for one don't want them in my city. Look what happened to Houston and the other cities!!!!!!!
If it ain't broke, DON'T touch it!!!!

Pope
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 5):
Purple Porpoise

The Porpoise is now gone and I'm hearing rumors that the Swamp is going to be torn down for condo's.

MDorBust

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 4):
In my mind, they would be Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi's problem.

Yeah, it kinda has become our problem here in Texas. Thankfully, we aren't shy about disposing of criminals here.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

jcs17

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:58 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 8):

Well, we don't have as many in Dallas as in Houston. Truthfully, I could care less about what happens to Houston  Wink
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

MSYtristar

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:03 am

All of you people who think that NOLA should not be rebuilt DO NOT HAVE A FREAKING CLUE.

Guess what? It doesn't really matter what the naysayers think. It really doesn't. The city is coming back,slowly but surely, and the best part of it all, the tax dollars of all the people who loathe New Orleans will be going to its rebuilding. I am having a nice laugh at that. If ya'll don't like the cold hard truth, move to North Korea, you guys would not be missed.

Have a great day, I know I sure am in the glorious, violent-filled, run down City of New Orleans.

Let California fall into the ocean while we're at it. And let Houston get hit by a Cat 5 hurricane...as well as Miami. And let's not rebuild those places. They suck anyway.

MSYtristar

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:15 am

And leave it to Pope to post a topic talking about the violence in New Orleans. I would expect nothing less. As soon as the media posts something negative about the city, he's on it like a duck on a junebug. Some things never change. Pope, do you have anything else better to do? Worry about Gainesville and if the Gators will choke down the stretch. Don't worry about us. Your monetary contributions to our rebuilding are greatly appreciated. The folks in the lower 9 wanted me to pass that on to you.

Pope
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 11):
And leave it to Pope to post a topic talking about the violence in New Orleans.

Why is every other topic in the world open for debate except any criticism of NOLA?

Is the story false? Is it misleading in any way? If not why shouldn't the issue be debated?

LHMark

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:53 am

New York was very violent in the '80s. Maybe it should have been wiped off the map.

LA was very violent in the early '90s. Bye Bye.

Hundreds of thousands of decent people, almost as decent as you, Pope, make their homes in and around the New Orleans area too.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

LFutia

Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 11):
Your monetary contributions to our rebuilding are greatly appreciated. The folks in the lower 9 wanted me to pass that on to you.

I'm sure the lower 9th would be ecstatic to know that we are coming down for 6 days and rebuilding MSY!

Leo
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

TransWorldSTL

Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting Lfutia (Reply 14):
I'm sure the lower 9th would be ecstatic to know that we are coming down for 6 days and rebuilding MSY!

Only if the rebuilding includes new free houses, free furnishings, and pretty much free life, paid for by everyone else.  Wink

And to MSYTristar:

Almost everyday I come on here and see some rediculous detail about New Orleans from you as well... Omg a pawn shop just opened at 123 Fake St.?? Wow! The city's really coming back now!! Don't be a hypocrite.

MSYtristar

Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:12 am

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 15):
Almost everyday I come on here and see some rediculous detail about New Orleans from you as well... Omg a pawn shop just opened at 123 Fake St.?? Wow! The city's really coming back now!! Don't be a hypocrite.

Don't worry, i'll continue to post ridiculous details about New Orleans for your enjoyment, you can count on that.

SlamClick

Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:31 am

One might argue, on environmental grounds that before rebuilding New Orleans we should allow the Mississippi River to find its new mouth which is long overdue. This will probably be via the Atchafalaya River. After that settles down, let New Orleans shrink or grow based on its actual usefulness to the United States and the world and not as a tax-supported theme park which is where it seems to be headed.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

davestanKSAN

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
Yeah.. you are a bastard. What a retarded thing to say. Im sure MSYtristar and Tom In No would have something to say about your stupidity. Furthermore, im sure these folks would have something to say as well: MSY New Year's Meetup! (by Texan Oct 6 2006 in Non Aviation)

checkmark  exactly. Well said Justin.

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):
Why would anyone want to go to a city that has a murder rate that is 10x the national average to spend New Years?

Hmm......maybe to help out our fellow brothers and sisters in NOLA who've lost everything? So the majority of law abiding citizens who lost their homes don't deserve help because there is a high murder rate in their city? Good logic there.

Let's look at New Orleans' and what is in that great city for you people who want to wipe it (an American city btw) off the map.

http://www.frenchquarter.com/

Some attractions:
http://www.neworleansonline.com/newo...leans/attractions/attractions.html

Faubourg Tremé........America's Oldest Black Neighborhood
http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/history/treme.html

The Jazz Funeral
http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/history/jazzfuneral.html

Diverse history and culture of New Orleans
http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/history/people.html

history museums:
The National World War II Museum
The Presbytere
Louisiana Museum of African American History
American Italian Museum
Amistad Research Center
Tulane's Special Collections
The 1850 House
The Cabildo
Old U.S. Mint
Tulane Museum of Natural History
Preservation Resource Center
Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve
Jackson Barracks
The New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park
New Orleans Pharmacy Museum
Fire Department Museum
Historic New Orleans Collection
Fort Pike

Please read:
http://www.madere.com/history.html

I could go on and on. To prove how easy this info was to obtain, these are from a simple Google search. The information about New Orleans is out there. You just have to open your mind and see how much New Orleans means to America and its history.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 17):
After that settles down, let New Orleans shrink or grow based on its actual usefulness to the United States and the world and not as a tax-supported theme park which is where it seems to be headed.

True. But for New Orleans to succeed, it needs to have proper support from all Americans.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

vikkyvik

Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:39 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):
If they have something to say, they can either say it here or come visit me in Gainesville where (bar the occassional mass murderer) it's safe.

Better yet, we'll just send all the criminals from NOLA to Gainesville. Then, you can tell them all exactly why their home shouldn't be rebuilt. And you'll see a rise in Gainesville's crime too! How exciting....
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Pope
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 19):
Better yet, we'll just send all the criminals from NOLA to Gainesville. Then, you can tell them all exactly why their home shouldn't be rebuilt. And you'll see a rise in Gainesville's crime too! How exciting....

Our county and city commissions seem to be on the same page with you. They do everything possible to encourage criminals to settle in our town. Thank god we have a great police and sheriff's department.

But the issue isn't Gainesville, it's NOLA with its 10x the national average murder rate. Are the police incompetent? What's the mayor doing?

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 18):
Hmm......maybe to help out our fellow brothers and sisters in NOLA who've lost everything? So the majority of law abiding citizens who lost their homes don't deserve help because there is a high murder rate in their city? Good logic there.

So under your logic the only way to help these people is to go there? Nice try but that makes no sense. I'll be happy to compare the amounts of money I've personally donated to the Katrina relief efforts against anyone on this forum, to say nothing about what I've gotten my company to contribute. I'm pretty sure that there aren't too many of you bleeding hearts that could hold a candle to what I've done in this regard. But my problem isn't helping people, it's spending larger and larger sums on rebuilding a city that is a literal cestpool.

MSYtristar

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 20):
it's spending larger and larger sums on rebuilding a city that is a literal cestpool.

That's the problem right there. You have a flawed perception of what the city is. It is not a "literal cestpool". Parts of it were after Katrina. Not anymore.

Quoting Pope (Reply 20):
But the issue isn't Gainesville, it's NOLA with its 10x the national average murder rate. Are the police incompetent? What's the mayor doing

From my standpoint, crime is not a deterring factor in my decision to live in the city, work in the city, or have fun in the city. I'm not going to be paranoid about something that has been going on here for decades, and that I really have no control over. I don't know what the problem is in regards to crime, but I do know that it is a huge problem in many cities. New Orleans is just always in the spotlight since the stupid hurricane hit, so of course the media will jump all over any chance to portray the city as violence plagued.

The shootings in the French Quarter have been random. Unfortunate, but random. Most people here understand this. From someone living outside of the city, I'm sure it is perceived much differently, and that's unfortunate.

The mayor generally acts like a moron (I didn't vote for him, but majority rules, so I'm willing to accept that), and the poilce force is still down several hundred people from what they had before the storm. It is a work in progress. This place is sturggling to get on its feet. But good things are happening, and it seems like I am the only one willing to talk about those things here.

I've seen enough drama and negativity here in the past 14 months to last a lifetime...I choose to look on the bright side and hope for a better furture....and like I've said dozens of time, I plan on staying here until I can no longer, and I find it insulting to have someone tell me that New Oreans should not be saved and that everypne living there should get out. That's not the way it works in America.

I'm proud to be a New Orleanian.

Pope
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 21):
I'm proud to be a New Orleanian.

Fantastic. If you love the city then by all means be proud of it.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 21):
and I find it insulting to have someone tell me that New Oreans should not be saved and that everypne living there should get out.

I find it insulting that my hard earned tax dollars are spent on what appears to be a bottomless pit. The difference is that what I say doesn't affect you financially at all. What you advocate impacts my pocketbook.

NOLA is at or below sea level. Science tells us that it is sinking. Statistics tell us that a Katrina or stronger storm will hit NOLA's again. Therefore, all we are doing is spending billions of dollars to repair something that is simply going to be destroyed once again.

Let's do the math. At last count I read that NOLA's has a population of about 180,000. Given that the government is looking at spending $150B, could a lot more be done by giving each of those 180,000 $250,000 in tax-free relocation grants (far more money than the majority of NOLA's residents would ever accumulate in their lifetimes or what most have lost in terms of tangible assets) and have the government save the remaining $105B?

Mother nature has dictated NOLA's fate, we shouldn't try to fight it.

If people like you want to stay in NOLA's that's your right, but please don't ask me to pay for it - nor tell me I can't complain when I see money poured down the drain.

LFutia

Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):
I find it insulting that my hard earned tax dollars are spent on what appears to be a bottomless pit. The difference is that what I say doesn't affect you financially at all. What you advocate impacts my pocketbook.

your hard earned tax dollars are going towards a war thats not needed aka Iraq. so stfu and come join us on January 1st to January 7th and rebuild NO with us.

Leo

Pope
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:06 am

Quoting Lfutia (Reply 23):
your hard earned tax dollars are going towards a war thats not needed aka Iraq. so stfu and come join us on January 1st to January 7th and rebuild NO with us.

Brilliant argument. Any response that includes "STFU" demonstrates the tremendous rhetorical skill of the author. So what does a Service Writer do?

LFutia

Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:09 am

Don't worry about my job. I have a good job and gets paid good money per hour. I have the ability to be able to take a week out of working and going down with a bunch of a.netters and to go re-build. Honestly maybe you should come down for a day and see what people from Louisana go through after Katrina.

Leo

MSYtristar

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:12 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):
Mother nature has dictated NOLA's fate, we shouldn't try to fight it.

If people like you want to stay in NOLA's that's your right, but please don't ask me to pay for it - nor tell me I can't complain when I see money poured down the drain.

I'm not asking you to pay for it, but it's happening, with or without your support. And no, you shouldn't complain, since your money is not being spent friviously.It's going to a good cause, my friend. It's a shame that you can't see that. Is your quality of life adversly affected by the tax dollars being spent on Gulf Coast rebuilding? I doubt it. If the city didn't have a chance of being properly protected from the elements, then nothing would be done. But it can be saved. Wetland restoration is a key to it, as is a true levee protection system. But it can't be done without the support of the nation. I personally think the city is vital to the country, you may think otherwise.

davestanKSAN

Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:28 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 20):
So under your logic the only way to help these people is to go there? Nice try but that makes no sense. I'll be happy to compare the amounts of money I've personally donated to the Katrina relief efforts against anyone on this forum, to say nothing about what I've gotten my company to contribute. I'm pretty sure that there aren't too many of you bleeding hearts that could hold a candle to what I've done in this regard. But my problem isn't helping people, it's spending larger and larger sums on rebuilding a city that is a literal cestpool.

Let me get this straight......you and your company have donated a large sum (from the way you portray it) to help people in the Katrina relief efforts, yet you're saying spending money on New Orleans is a waste. Do you know exactly where your money went? What if some of it went to help rebuild the Superdome? Or communities in New Orleans? What if that money went to people who are still living in New Orleans today? And by ignoring the problems New Orleans faces you think that the "lliteral cespool" of a city will get better?

Let's look again what you said.
You ask:

Quoting Pope (Reply 3):
Why would anyone want to go to a city that has a murder rate that is 10x the national average to spend New Years?

And you say.......

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):
nor tell me I can't complain when I see money poured down the drain.

So why not go there for youself and see how your hard earned money is being spent? If you're so upset about your money being wasted, why not go to New Orleans and take actions into your own hands and help rebuild the city.

Or shall we all buy bulldozers and wipe New Orleans off the map? While we're at it let's destroy these citys as well!!

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 13):
New York was very violent in the '80s. Maybe it should have been wiped off the map.

LA was very violent in the early '90s. Bye Bye.

Hundreds of thousands of decent people, almost as decent as you, Pope, make their homes in and around the New Orleans area too.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

halls120

Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting Pope (Thread starter):
Quote:A gunman wounded five people in a French Quarter bar early Tuesday, the latest violence in a city struggling to rein in crime as it recovers from Hurricane Katrina.
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/31/D8L3OQJO0.html

Why are we spending a dime on this city? We should evacuate everyone and let it sink into the marshes from which it emerged.

Unless there is a cataclysmic change in the nature of the Mississippi River, all our efforts to protect/save New Orleans will eventually be wasted.

Quoting Jcs17 (Reply 4):
. If I was in charge of rebuilding New Orleans, I would've said "F that," and proceeded to bid contracts for luxury home subdivisions and golf courses.

I disagree. Those same expensive subdivisions and goldf courses are going to suffer the same fate as the rest of the city.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 10):
Guess what? It doesn't really matter what the naysayers think. It really doesn't. The city is coming back,slowly but surely, and the best part of it all, the tax dollars of all the people who loathe New Orleans will be going to its rebuilding. I am having a nice laugh at that. If ya'll don't like the cold hard truth, move to North Korea, you guys would not be missed.

And in the end, rebuilding New Orleans will have all the effect of building sand castles at the beach.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 10):
Let California fall into the ocean while we're at it. And let Houston get hit by a Cat 5 hurricane...as well as Miami. And let's not rebuild those places. They suck anyway.

If part of California did in fact "fall into the ocean," there would be nothing to rebuild.

One might argue, on environmental grounds that before rebuilding New Orleans we should allow the Mississippi River to find its new mouth which is long overdue. This will probably be via the Atchafalaya River.

Here's the most likely scenario. During flood season, a southbound large tow loses its steering while traveling south towards Baton Rouge. It crashes into the Old River Control Structure, which was built to divert a certain percentage of water from the Mississippi to the Atchafalaya. However, once this structure is breached, a huge cascade of water will flow south to the Gulf, thereby altering the course of the Mississippi forever. Of course, Morgan City will be toast, but that's the impact of man trying to outsmart nature.

Here is some additional reading on the subject. http://www.tulane.edu/~bfleury/envirobio/enviroweb/FloodControl.htm
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

MSYtristar

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:14 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 28):
Unless there is a cataclysmic change in the nature of the Mississippi River, all our efforts to protect/save New Orleans will eventually be wasted.

Who knows what will happen 100/200 years down the road? I can't predict the future. I've read reports on both sides...some saying New Orleans is doomed, some saying that it is not sinking as much as thought and that it may not become an "island" after all. But there are things that can be done now to ensure the continued viablity of the area for the time being. As I mentioned, restoring the wetlands is a huge piece of the puzzle. The problem is many people have the "they are probably scrwed down the road anyway, why fix it now" attitiude.

If part of California did in fact "fall into the ocean," there would be nothing to rebuild

Obviously I worded that incorrectly, but you get the idea. If N.O is left to rot, then the same should happen to L.A or SFO when a big earthquake hits. Don't rebuild them since they are sitting on or near active fault lines. The risk is just too great. In fact i'll spearhead the campaign.

N1120A

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:11 pm

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 1):
Or if we do rebuild it, call in the Dutch and have them design the levy system.

The word is levee (a levy is a charge, usually used in the context of a tax). The Dutch and the English should design the thing, but that is up to the federal government pal

One might argue, on environmental grounds that before rebuilding New Orleans we should allow the Mississippi River to find its new mouth which is long overdue. This will probably be via the Atchafalaya River.

The reason the Mississippi would find its "new mouth" along the Atchafalaya is because of man made issues. Take a look at the entire paper Halls120 posted.

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 18):
Let's look at New Orleans' and what is in that great city for you people who want to wipe it (an American city btw) off the map.

Well, you seem to be forgetting that Pope-moud Ahmadinedjad has a hatred of New Orleans that seems as deep seeded as the one Fred Phelps has for gay people.

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):
NOLA is at or below sea level.

And Amsterdam is lower.

Here's the most likely scenario. During flood season, a southbound large tow loses its steering while traveling south towards Baton Rouge. It crashes into the Old River Control Structure, which was built to divert a certain percentage of water from the Mississippi to the Atchafalaya. However, once this structure is breached, a huge cascade of water will flow south to the Gulf, thereby altering the course of the Mississippi forever. Of course, Morgan City will be toast, but that's the impact of man trying to outsmart nature.

You need to read the whole paper you claim makes the case to not rebuild this great city that you claim to have lived in but seem to hate as much as Pope does. The ORCS keeps the Mississippi going along the course it is supposed to take, not the one that the not so bright exploits of Henry Shreve and the State of Louisiana in the second quarter of the 19th Century has created. If you really wanted to think about "nature's course" you would fill the Old River back up.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Pope
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:19 pm

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 27):
Let me get this straight......you and your company have donated a large sum (from the way you portray it) to help people in the Katrina relief efforts, yet you're saying spending money on New Orleans is a waste. Do you know exactly where your money went?

I divided my personal giving between the American Red Cross and Catholic Charities. I doubt either one paid for the rebuilding of the Superdome. My company made its entire donation to the American Red Cross.

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 27):
Or shall we all buy bulldozers and wipe New Orleans off the map?

OK.

If part of California did in fact "fall into the ocean," there would be nothing to rebuild.

I would agree that if part of California fell into the Ocean we shouldn't spend $150 billion rebuilding the parts that are still at risk.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):
Well, you seem to be forgetting that Pope-moud Ahmadinedjad has a hatred of New Orleans that seems as deep seeded as the one Fred Phelps has for gay people.

Why do you have to resort to personal attacks? I have no hatred of NOLAs. As I've said in other posts, I've been there a bunch of times and always had a good time. But that doesn't change the fact that I consider spending a $150B on rebuilding a city that is only going to face the same fate it is dealing with now, an indefensible waste of money.

N1120A

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:34 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 31):
I have no hatred of NOLAs

That is bull and you know it. You have shown time and time again your deep seeded issues with the city. You have nothing nice to say other than feigning a backhanded response like "I had a good time".

Quoting Pope (Reply 31):
But that doesn't change the fact that I consider spending a $150B on rebuilding a city that is only going to face the same fate it is dealing with now, an indefensible waste of money.

The city wont have the same fate if things are done the right way. London and Amsterdam should have even worse problems than New Orleans but don't because they have well engineered and well built defenses as opposed to the piss poor ones the Army Corps passes off here. The indefensible waste of money has been the federal projects up till now that have essentially ignored the problem.

Quoting Pope (Reply 31):
Why do you have to resort to personal attacks?

Personal attacks? You are the one saying the city should be wiped of the map out of one side of your mouth and criticizing others for saying similar thing out of the other side.

halls120

Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:38 pm

You need to read the whole paper you claim makes the case to not rebuild this great city that you claim to have lived in but seem to hate as much as Pope does. The ORCS keeps the Mississippi going along the course it is supposed to take, not the one that the not so bright exploits of Henry Shreve and the State of Louisiana in the second quarter of the 19th Century has created. If you really wanted to think about "nature's course" you would fill the Old River back up.

The city "I have claimed to live in?' Listen, pal, don't accuse me of making false statements unless you have the goods to back it up. I was stationed in New Orleans from 1977 to 1981. My daughter was born at the now closed Jo Ellen Smith Memorial Hospital on the West Bank. Why do you resort to personal attacks so readily? Is it because you can't argue the facts?

"The ORCS keeps the Mississippi going along the course it is supposed to take"

Incorrect, as usual. "To build up all of southern Louisiana, the Mississippi has had to move around. Every couple of millennia it takes a major turn, abandons it's old channel, and finds a new one. The last time this happened was at the site where Donaldsonville now sits. Bayou Lafourche used to be the Mississippi. The next time this will happen will be at Old River." See http://users.stlcc.edu/jangert/oldriver/oldriver.html for the balance of the srticle.

Quoting Pope (Reply 31):
Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):Well, you seem to be forgetting that Pope-moud Ahmadinedjad has a hatred of New Orleans that seems as deep seeded as the one Fred Phelps has for gay people.Why do you have to resort to personal attacks? I have no hatred of NOLAs.

When he can't argue the issues, N1120A invariably resorts to personal attacks. You and and I are evil personified because we don't agree with N1120A's position on saving New Orleans.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):
Quoting Pope (Reply 31):But that doesn't change the fact that I consider spending a $150B on rebuilding a city that is only going to face the same fate it is dealing with now, an indefensible waste of money.The city wont have the same fate if things are done the right way. London and Amsterdam should have even worse problems than New Orleans but don't because they have well engineered and well built defenses as opposed to the piss poor ones the Army Corps passes off here.

London isn't remotely the same case as New Orleans. The land in and surrounding London isn't sinking.

Here is a description of New Orleans:

Quote:
Look at a map of the state of Louisiana and you can see it is shaped something like a boot. Over the course of many millennia the bottom half of that boot has been created by the Mississippi. Southern Louisiana is built entirely of river sediment carried by water from as far away as the Rocky Mountains. As the Jefferson River gushes down a Montana mountainside it picks up little bits of that mountain and carts them off to the Missouri River. As the Wabash flows through prime Indiana farm land it picks up some of that land and carries it to the Ohio River. The process is cumulative until finally, the Mississippi, loaded with two million tons per day of washed away mountain and farm field, reaches sea level and slows down enough to unburden its load in southern Louisiana.

Here is a description of London:

Quote:
The Thames was once a much broader shallower river than it is today. It has been extensively embanked, and many of its London tributaries now flow underground. The Fleet River is a good example of this. The Thames is a tidal river, and London is vulnerable to flooding by storm surges. The threat has increased over time due to a slow but continuous rise in high water level, caused by both the slow 'tilting' of Britain (up in the north and down in the south) caused by post-glacial rebound and the gradual rise in sea levels due to climate change. The Thames Barrier was constructed across the Thames at Woolwich in the 1970s to deal with this threat, but in early 2005 it was suggested that a ten mile long barrier further downstream might be required to deal with the flood risk in the future.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Pope
Topic Author

Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:23 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):
That is bull and you know it. You have shown time and time again your deep seeded issues with the city. You have nothing nice to say other than feigning a backhanded response like "I had a good time".

You can look at the world through rose colored glasses if you like but even before Katrina, NOLA was a hole - albeit a hole with great food, good drink and entertaining for a weekend or a Sugar Bowl.

Other than some nice parts of the Garden district most of the city was dangerous and dirty. You could walk one or two blocks off of Burbon street and be in places as dangerous and rundown as a third world country - and that was before Katrina hit.

It's not my opinion that the NOLA murder rate is 10x the national average. That's a fact.

It's not my opinion that the city is sinking. That's a fact.

You can try to make this about me, but the facts speak for themselves.

MSYtristar

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:23 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 34):
Other than some nice parts of the Garden district most of the city was dangerous and dirty. You could walk one or two blocks off of Burbon street and be in places as dangerous and rundown as a third world country - and that was before Katrina hit.

That is a typical percetion of the city, but it is not entirely true. There were just as many decent blue collar neighborhoods in the city as there were "3rd world country" neighborhoods. I am not arguing that the city was a valhalla, but certainly, it wasn't (and isn't) no where near as bad as you claim it to be. Trust me, I've been in them all.

Quoting Pope (Reply 34):
It's not my opinion that the NOLA murder rate is 10x the national average. That's a fact

Then why post it on here, if it's already readily available for all to see if they choose? Do you work for a competing convention bureau in the hopes that everything you post will prevent future events from coming to town? Probably not, although you obviously enjoy stating all the things that are wrong with New Orleans in the hope that (and this is my opinion here) maybe, just maybe, others will join your "let's not give them another dime to rebuild" cause, since it is a crime infested place with no future.

Quoting Pope (Reply 34):
It's not my opinion that the city is sinking. That's a fact.

Yep, and it's also a fact that things can be done to make the city as protected as possible. But that would cost $$$, so it wouldn't be a good thing, right?

Quoting Pope (Reply 34):
You can try to make this about me, but the facts speak for themselves

This is about you (even though I see nothing resembling personal attacks) since you seem to have some sort of sick pleasure in letting the a.net comunity know of every single thing that is wrong in New Orleans. It's like you have some personal vendetta against the city, one which I cannot fully understand, but am coming to terms with. And the best part about all of this is that you don't even live here. Visits don't count.

So please, at least for awhile, you should consider stop searching the internet with a fine tooth comb every morning in the hopes that you see a headline that reads "and another person was shot in New Orleans." It's just a waste of time, really.

beefstew25

Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:59 am

You can rebuild NOLA all you want. Just don't use my money. That is why people buy insurance.
MLB: Where you are always number one for takeoff.....

SlamClick

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:15 am

The reason the Mississippi would find its "new mouth" along the Atchafalaya is because of man made issues. Take a look at the entire paper Halls120 posted.

Absolutely backwards.

It is the natural course of things for flatland river deltas to silt up one mouth because of decreasing speed of the flow allowing solids to precipitate out, then find a new one. You can see it in every such river delta in the world: the Amazon, the Mekong, the Yangtze, the Ganges and so on. The reason the Big Muddy has not opened a new mouth (probably the Atchafalaya) is "man made issues" and not the other way around.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

N1120A

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:50 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 33):
Why do you resort to personal attacks so

I wasn't. I didn't say you were lying, I just said that you made the claim.

Incorrect, as usual.

Incorrect? I was using the article YOU posted. Are you going to say that is incorrect now?

Quoting Pope (Reply 34):
Other than some nice parts of the Garden district most of the city was dangerous and dirty.

Oh really? Is the University-Uptown area dirty and dangerous? Is the French Quarter generally dangerous? Do you live here to determine that?

Quoting Pope (Reply 34):
You could walk one or two blocks off of Burbon street and be in places as dangerous and rundown as a third world country - and that was before Katrina hit.

One or two blocks off Bourbon (nice spelling Pope-moud) huh? Lets see. Two blocks uptown from Bourbon is Poydras Street, which is a safe, business district street and the gateway to the ultra-swank Warehouse District. Two blocks the otherway and you are in the Faubourg Marigny, in a very safe, very gay neighborhood that is a bit like a small version of West Hollywood. Two blocks toward the river and you are hitting Jackson Square, the Louisiana Supreme Court (you going to say that isn't safe?), and countless art galleries. Two blocks away from the river and you are still in the Vieux Carre on Burgundy, which yields some of the more expensive rental housing in the city.
Care to reexamine your evaluation?

Quoting Pope (Reply 34):
It's not my opinion that the NOLA murder rate is 10x the national average. That's a fact.

And the poverty rate?

Quoting Pope (Reply 34):
NOLA was a hole

Opinion. My opinion is that all of Florida with the exception of Miami is a hole, that doesn't mean I post a new thread on it every week.

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 37):
The reason the Big Muddy has not opened a new mouth (probably the Atchafalaya) is "man made issues" and not the other way around.

Again, read that article. The main reasons for the increased discharge into the A. are the creation of the Old River by Shreve and the removal of a 30 mile long log jam.

halls120

Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:55 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 38):
Why do you resort to personal attacks so

I wasn't. I didn't say you were lying, I just said that you made the claim.

Your clear insinuation was that I only claim to have lived in New Orleans, not that I have.

Incorrect, as usual.

Incorrect? I was using the article YOU posted. Are you going to say that is incorrect now?

No, I'm going to say that you obviously didn't read the material I posted earlier. Here is an excerpt from the Tulane article:

Quote:
As time progressed, it became increasingly apparent that the Mississippi was diverting more and more of its flow down the Atchafalaya River. In the 1950's, engineers observed that the Mississippi would soon cease to inhabit its current channel as the mainstream, and instead migrate to the Atchafalaya River Basin. The path by which the Mississippi would migrate was a small stretch of water, named the "Old River", that connected the Mississippi to the Red River.

The above quote is completely consistent with "To build up all of southern Louisiana, the Mississippi has had to move around. Every couple of millennia it takes a major turn, abandons it's old channel, and finds a new one. The last time this happened was at the site where Donaldsonville now sits. Bayou Lafourche used to be the Mississippi. The next time this will happen will be at Old River" and demonstrates that your statement "The ORCS keeps the Mississippi going along the course it is supposed to take" is incorrect.

The OCRS keeps the Mississippi going along the course that HUMANS want it to take. Not the course that it would normally follow absent man's interference.

Get it now?

beefstew25

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:43 pm

My opinion is that all of Florida with the exception of Miami is a hole, that doesn't mean I post a new thread on it every week.

Reverse that. All of Florida is nice except Miami.

Pope
Topic Author

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:45 pm

Opinion. My opinion is that all of Florida with the exception of Miami is a hole, that doesn't mean I post a new thread on it every week.

I think the vast majority of Floridians would argue exactly the opposite. Miami is the hole and (most - but not all) of the rest of Florida is where the real beauty is. In fact, if you've ever been to the City of Miami proper, I don't believe you'd even be making that statement.

MSYtristar

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:28 am

Quoting Beefstew25 (Reply 40):
All of Florida is nice except Miami.

To be honest, what's nice about Crestview, Chipley, Madison, Lake City, and so on, and so forth?

beefstew25

Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 42):
To be honest, what's nice about Crestview, Chipley, Madison, Lake City, and so on, and so forth?

Uh, the crime rate is normal in those towns. There are parts of Miami that look like a third world country....

halls120

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting Beefstew25 (Reply 43):

Uh, the crime rate is normal in those towns. There are parts of Miami that look like a third world country....

Close your eyes in most of Miami and just stand and listen. You'd swear you weren't even in the US.

Pope
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:07 am

Lake City and the surrounding areas are beautiful. But that's just a red herring. None of those places have a murder rate that is 10x the national average like NOLA's.

MSYtristar

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 45):
None of those places have a murder rate that is 10x the national average like NOLA's.

Couldn't come up with something more original this time? You are slipping!

MSYtristar

Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 45):
Lake City and the surrounding areas are beautiful

Beautiful? Not quite sure i'd call it beautiful. Podunk is more like it. Maybe "generic".

Pope
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:14 am

http://kramgasse.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/lake_city.jpg

MSYtristar

Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:33 am

Are you sure that last picture isn't the downtown of Brookhaven,MS? It's pretty similar, actually.

The river scene looks nice enough...