luv2fly

Columnist Coulter In Hot Water Over Voting

Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:11 pm

Prison would do the B*tch good if you ask me.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/01/coulter.voting.ap/index.html
You can cut the irony with a knife

DLPMMM

RE: Columnist Coulter In Hot Water Over Voting

Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:40 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Thread starter):

I didn't, but I could suggest some anger management therapists for you. You seem to be in need of one.

beefstew25

Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:57 pm

So you are for voting reform? Me too. You must produce a valid ID at your polling place. Good, we are on the same wavelength....
MLB: Where you are always number one for takeoff.....

TedTAce

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:06 pm

The by line of WPB is priceless. It wasn't a bunch of old folks who accidently voted wrong for Buchanan, it was that dumb bitch Coulter in the wrong fucking precinct. If she is convicted, I'll GLADLY settle for 'mere' community service, and have the press and every interview she has after that open with 'convicted columnist...'

Nothing like a criminal conviction to mess up your credibility huh Ann?
This space intentionally left blank

Falcon84

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:08 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 1):
I didn't, but I could suggest some anger management therapists for you. You seem to be in need of one.

Go hold Ann's boney, reactionary hand, will you, and stop lecturing people on who you think needs anger management.

How is it anger simply saying someone could use some good prison time? And you know what? She is a bitch, too, so get over it.
Work Right, Fly Hard

beefstew25

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:09 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):
The by line of WPB is priceless. It wasn't a bunch of old folks who accidently voted wrong for Buchanan, it was that dumb bitch Coulter in the wrong fucking precinct. If she is convicted, I'll GLADLY settle for 'mere' community service, and have the press and every interview she has after that open with 'convicted columnist...'

So you are for voting reform also, Ted? Nice. No more dead people voting? No more non-citizens voting? Nice. You and I are on the same page.

lowrider

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:17 pm

So no one is willing to consider she simply made a mistake? According to the article, it is only a crime if she voted in the wrong precint intentionally. Where were the poll monitors who are supposed to prevent this sort of thing?
Proud OOTSK member

Falcon84

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:21 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 6):
So no one is willing to consider she simply made a mistake?

She's not cooperating with authorities. That tells me she has something to hide.
Work Right, Fly Hard

itsjustme

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:32 pm

It's been my experience that when a person, in this case Conservative columnist Ann Coulter, is suspected of committing a crime and they "refuse to cooperate in an investigation", chances are pretty good they've got something to hide. You don't think the fact that she's been dodging correspondence from the elections supervisor's office for 9 months looks suspicious?

beefstew25

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:36 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 7):
She's not cooperating with authorities. That tells me she has something to hide.

Palm Beach.....it is going to be a witch hunt....

itsjustme

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:41 pm

Quoting Beefstew25 (Reply 9):
alm Beach.....it is going to be a witch hunt....

Well, in the case of Ms. Coulter, they won't have to look very far.

AsstChiefMark

Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:48 pm

When she registered to vote, she used her realtor's address rather than her own. That's fishy in itself. But then she went on to vote in a different precinct, even after being warned by an election official.

When the news media published a report about it, she claimed the reporters were "all retarded" and accused Palm Beach officials of having sexually transmitted diseases.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

RAPCON

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:01 pm

A $300 fine on a misdemeanor charge in FL. That's what she's running from.
MODS CAN'T STOP ME....THEY CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN ME!!!

itsjustme

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:05 pm

Quoting RAPCON (Reply 12):
A $300 fine on a misdemeanor charge in FL. That's what she's running from.

Perhaps you should actually read the quoted article.

"Knowingly voting in the wrong precinct is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

AsstChiefMark

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:11 pm

Quoting RAPCON (Reply 12):
A $300 fine on a misdemeanor charge in FL

It's a third-degree felony to vote knowingly in the wrong precinct and carries a penalty of up to $5,000 and five years behind bars.

I just looked it up. http://election.dos.state.fl.us/fraud/index.shtml

Mark

[Edited 2006-11-02 06:15:14]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

lowrider

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 8):
You don't think the fact that she's been dodging correspondence from the elections supervisor's office for 9 months looks suspicious?

I think she has spent the bulk of that time promoting her latest book and neglecting the mail. As with so many other things, I think it is important to wait for the rest of the facts before we construct the gallows. What I am suspicious of is those who are in a rush to convict.
Proud OOTSK member

itsjustme

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:53 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 15):
I think she has spent the bulk of that time promoting her latest book and neglecting the mail.

If you are right, and I don't believe you are, then she has made a very very poor choice in priorities. Instead of using that time to promote her book, maybe she should have taken the time to respond to a 9 month long investigation that could land her ass in jail for 5 years.

Lucky42

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:59 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 14):
It's a third-degree felony to vote knowingly in the wrong precinct and carries a penalty of up to $5,000 and five years behind bars.

Boy and I know murderers who get less! Not that I agree with her. We sure do have our priorities backwards don't we.

RichardPrice

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:01 pm

Quoting Lucky42 (Reply 17):
Boy and I know murderers who get less! Not that I agree with her. We sure do have our priorities backwards don't we.

Whats the maximum term on a felony murder charge? Bet its longer than 5 years.

Thats the maximum possible, not the typical term given, theres a huge and significant difference and in no way compares to terms given for murder.

DLPMMM

Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 4):
How is it anger simply saying someone could use some good prison time? And you know what? She is a bitch, too, so get over it.

Goodness, are you haveing a bad day? your going to give yourself ulcers!

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 10):

So much pent up hatred!

I really don't care one way or another about Ms. Coulter, but I find the hatred she evokes on the left to be utterly fascinating.

vikkyvik

Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 15):
I think she has spent the bulk of that time promoting her latest book and neglecting the mail.

Which changes absolutely nothing.

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 19):
I really don't care one way or another about Ms. Coulter, but I find the hatred she evokes on the left to be utterly fascinating.

I don't hate her. I just think she has the wrong idea about, hmmm, everything. Actually, I don't hate any politician/commentator. I just think they have a lot of erroneous ideas.

Quoting Beefstew25 (Reply 2):
So you are for voting reform? Me too. You must produce a valid ID at your polling place. Good, we are on the same wavelength....

Quoting Beefstew25 (Reply 5):
So you are for voting reform also, Ted? Nice. No more dead people voting? No more non-citizens voting? Nice. You and I are on the same page.

confused 

Apparently, she's the one who has refused (knowingly or ignorantly) to fix her mistake. As I've read before, "an error becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it." (who can name the book?)
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

jaysit

Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 10):

rotfl 

You win the diss of the day award!!!!

It sure would be amusing to see Ms Coulter, broom in hand, sweep litter off the highway. For once, she'd be making herself useful.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Gilligan

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:00 am

So much for the fifth amendment. BTW what did Hillary and Bill have to hide, along with Ron and Nancy, and a multitude of other individuals then? Must be some kind of dirty laundry there if they refuse to exchange letters.

I would have thought with the large Cuban population, some of which know little if any english, that you would be able to vote just about anywhere you want to in the state of Florida as long as you had a valid drivers license. This law seems awfully out of date.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

DLPMMM

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 20):
I don't hate her. I just think she has the wrong idea about, hmmm, everything. Actually, I don't hate any politician/commentator. I just think they have a lot of erroneous ideas.

Which is a healthy attitude. I personally don't even know her ideas about anything, I've never read her books, and only seen her a few times on some talking heads programs.

I just don't understand people who cannot discuss political ideas without personal insults and hatred.

MDorBust

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:14 am

Umm..

From the source article:

Quote:
In July, Anderson said, he received a letter from Coulter's attorney, Marcos Daniel Jimenez D'Clouet. The letter said the attorney would only discuss the matter in person or by telephone because, he complained, Anderson had given details to the media. Anderson said the matter had to be discussed in writing.

A bit odd on the part of Mr. Anderson there?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

lowrider

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:15 am

Which changes absolutely nothing

No, but another poster questioned what she had been doing for the past 9 months. I seem to recall she recently had a book come out. Does anyone know if the letters were registered? If not, is there any proof that she actually recieved them?

Apparently, she's the one who has refused (knowingly or ignorantly) to fix her mistake. As I've read before, "an error becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it." (who can name the book?)

That first word is very important. Once again, I think we need to wait for more facts. Evil conservatives can make honest mistakes too. The rush to judgement makes me question the motive behind it.
Proud OOTSK member

itsjustme

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:16 am

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 22):
BTW what did Hillary and Bill have to hide, along with Ron and Nancy, and a multitude of other individuals then? Must be some kind of dirty laundry there if they refuse to exchange letters.

Gee, I could swear this thread was about Ann Coulter facing possible felony charges and prison time. Guess I misread the thread title.

RichardPrice

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:24 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 24):
A bit odd on the part of Mr. Anderson there?

Things said in person or on the phone can be easily disputed, things placed in writing cannot.

AerospaceFan

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:27 am

So, because Ann Coulter wrote political pieces that people disagree with, it's a good thing for her if she went to jail? Why?
What's fair is fair.

RAPCON

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 14):

And she'll get it reduced to a misdemeanor and a couple of hundred $$ as a fine. "Up to" means that the judge can go from $0 to "up to".
MODS CAN'T STOP ME....THEY CAN ONLY HOPE TO CONTAIN ME!!!

allstarflyer

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:38 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):

It was probably coming, sooner or later. Usually, someone who points a finger so piously has something fishy going on with himself/herself. It's a shame, because, while I hold to many conservative positions, I've regarded her as a poor example of behavior for other conservatives to follow.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 11):
When the news media published a report about it, she claimed the reporters were "all retarded" and accused Palm Beach officials of having sexually transmitted diseases.

I wouldn't be surprised to know that, but do you have a link for that?

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 23):
I personally don't even know her ideas about anything, I've never read her books, and only seen her a few times on some talking heads programs.

Ann Coulter is the type of person that is easily identified through a small series of quotations or other examples. In her case, she's readily identified as a militant neo-con extremist. I wonder if/how she spins what the deal is with this concern of voter fraud.

-R
Living the American Dream

RichardPrice

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 28):
So, because Ann Coulter wrote political pieces that people disagree with, it's a good thing for her if she went to jail? Why?

Its because she is deliberately provocative and takes a opposing stance.

For example, here is a quote from her about 4 9/11 widows:

Quote:

These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by grief-arazzis. These self-obsessed women seemed genuinely unaware that 9/11 was an attack on our nation and acted as if the terrorist attacks happened only to them. ... I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much ... the Democrat ratpack gals endorsed John Kerry for president ... cutting campaign commercials... how do we know their husbands weren't planning to divorce these harpies? Now that their shelf life is dwindling, they'd better hurry up and appear in Playboy."

Also, on another subject:

Quote:

When asked by John Hawkins if she regretted a statement she made implying that she wished Timothy McVeigh had bombed The New York Times instead of the Federal building in Oklahoma City, Coulter replied: "Of course I regret it. I should have added, 'after everyone had left the building except the editors and reporters.'

Its no wonder people dislike her to the point where they find her in jail a good thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Coulter

AerospaceFan

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 31):
Its because she is deliberately provocative and takes a opposing stance.

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 31):
Its no wonder people dislike her to the point where they find her in jail a good thing.

What? Just because you disagree with the way people say things, you should think that jail is good for them?

[Edited 2006-11-02 16:45:24]
What's fair is fair.

deltagator

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:45 am

Along the same lines I just found out I voted not so much in the wrong precinct (I did advance voting since I will be in California on election day) but that I was given an electronic ballot with the wrong US Congressman to vote for. I've confirmed I'm in GA11 (Phil Gingrey) and not in GA13 (David Scott) but it is all after the fact. Luckily it wasn't done knowingly or they would be coming to drag me off to Gitmo.

You must produce a valid ID at your polling place.

Come to Georgia where you don't need a valid picture ID to vote. The Dems, and mainly the black caucus, keep stonewalling it and filing lawsuits because they think their poor, underpriveledged constituents can't spend any more money to get a GA License or ID. When told they would be given away for free they then fussed that these same poor people couldn't be pulled away from their low paying, non-living wage jobs to stand in line to get that free ID. Gotta love the logic on that one.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 11):

I'm conservative and even I think she's gone batshit. When will folks stop listening to her? She's one of many ultra-conservative blowhards out there to counter the liberal blowhards that the left needs to quit listening to as well.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

beefstew25

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting Beefstew25 (Reply 5):

Vikkyvik, my point is that if the DA really gives a shit about voting irregularities, he/she should go through the voting rolls and erase the dead people and non-citizens that vote. This smacks of a political mess.

Granted, Coulter is an ideal target, and when you are an ideal target, you must carry yourself and your affairs in perfect order. She obviously has not. $500 fine or something....She has the resources for a kick ass lawyer.

RichardPrice

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 32):
What? Just because you disagree with the way people say things, you should think that jail is good for them?

This woman makes a living out of being spiteful and hateful toward others. Thats her entire life. She takes pleasure in her work, this isnt merely about disagreeing with her.

AerospaceFan

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:51 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 35):
This woman makes a living out of being spiteful and hateful toward others. Thats her entire life. She takes pleasure in her work, this isnt merely about disagreeing with her.

Perhaps. But people shouldn't be jailed for saying what they say, unless it violates the interests of national security. Freedom of thought is essential in Western civilization, and to wish someone great harm because he or she indulges in it -- even for money, so long as it does not violate national security -- is over the top, I would say.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 33):
I'm conservative and even I think she's gone batshit.

I tend to agree that Coulter can go way overboard. Often, what she writes is not really productive.

[Edited 2006-11-02 16:55:41]
What's fair is fair.

beefstew25

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 35):

I agree. Look at it as entertainment. She is the conservative answer to Bill Maher.

Pope

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:53 am

Did the same logic apply when HRC was being investigated with respect to Whitewater?

Your hypocrisy is incredible. You rant about enemy combatant's constitutional rights, yet when an American citizen exercises her constitutional right to remain silent, you immediately judge her guilty.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

RichardPrice

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 36):
Perhaps. But people shouldn't be jailed for saying what they say, unless it violates the interests of national security. Freedom of thought is essential in Western civilization, and to wish someone great harm because he or she indulges in it -- even for money, so long as it does not violate national security -- is over the top, I would say.

She isnt facing jail because of what she says, shes facing jail because of what she did. I am not required to feel sympathy for her situation, thats a choice I make personally - thats whats driving the feeling against her here.

AerospaceFan

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 39):
She isnt facing jail because of what she says, shes facing jail because of what she did. I am not required to feel sympathy for her situation, thats a choice I make personally - thats whats driving the feeling against her here

I do understand. I was criticizing the position of those, like the thread-starter, if the originating message herein is to be credited, who take delight in the prospects of jail for Ms. Coulter.
What's fair is fair.

allstarflyer

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:15 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 36):
But people shouldn't be jailed for saying what they say, unless it violates the interests of national security.

A person could be incarcerated for verbal assault against another person. For example, if Joe Blow says he's going to kill John Doe (and if it's clear he has motive and means to do so), I'm sure law enforcement could have him in cuffs before he has the opportunity.

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 39):
She isnt facing jail because of what she says, shes facing jail because of what she did.

checkmark 

-R
Living the American Dream

AerospaceFan

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 41):
A person could be incarcerated for verbal assault against another person. For example, if Joe Blow says he's going to kill John Doe (and if it's clear he has motive and means to do so), I'm sure law enforcement could have him in cuffs before he has the opportunity.

That appears to be true. Thank you for the clarification.

I would hasten to say, though, that Coulter's writings do not approach any such situation.

[Edited 2006-11-02 17:23:04]
What's fair is fair.

jaysit

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting Beefstew25 (Reply 37):
I agree. Look at it as entertainment. She is the conservative answer to Bill Maher.

Uh, huh. Because Bill Maher too spends his days calling for Timothy McVeigh to bomb the NY Times building and mocks widows, the disabled, the sick and the elderly. But I do know that he boinked Ann Coulter back in the day when she was just a witch-in-training. Surprised his wang didn't drop right off.

Quoting Pope (Reply 38):
You rant about enemy combatant's constitutional rights, yet when an American citizen exercises her constitutional right to remain silent, you immediately judge her guilty.

Unless Ms. Coulter is locked up in a pen, denied an attorney, and her habeas corpus rights suspended, give your BS a rest, OK.

Quoting Pope (Reply 38):

Did the same logic apply when HRC was being investigated with respect to Whitewater?

Helloooo?
Of course it does. HRC got bamboozled into a BS real estate deal by a couple of con artists. That's something HRC can't stand - that her intelligence be called into doubt. Gosh, can you imagine the headlines "New First Lady makes Lady Bird look like a genius."
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Gilligan

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 26):
Guess I misread the thread title

You just buy the first can of beans don't you. Why is Coulter automatically guilty of anything? A look at the others I named might give the same impression, but upon further review......

[Edited 2006-11-02 18:08:12]
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

luv2fly

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:25 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 1):

Maybe you should stop trying to read between the lines and stop trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. You might also want to stop looking directly at the lasers as it is starting to cloud what judgement you have left to use.
You can cut the irony with a knife

beefstew25

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 43):
Uh, huh. Because Bill Maher too spends his days calling for Timothy McVeigh to bomb the NY Times building and mocks widows, the disabled, the sick and the elderly. But I do know that he boinked Ann Coulter back in the day when she was just a witch-in-training. Surprised his wang didn't drop right off.

Being controversial has been financially good for both of them. They are entertainers, nothing more, nothing less.

MDorBust

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 27):
Things said in person or on the phone can be easily disputed, things placed in writing cannot.

It's pretty much standard these days for a prosecuting attorney to record every meeting they have with a suspect or their lawyers. I would be very surprised to find one that doesn't.

Besides, anyone should know these days that just because it's written, doesn't mean it can't be disputed.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Pope

Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:02 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 41):

I don't believe that's true. In your example, I believe that at a minimum Joe Blow would have to take a substantive step toward the completion of that act for criminal liability to attach unless John Doe is specially protected by statute (i.e. threatening the life of the President of the United States) or the threat is terroristic in nature.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

AerospaceFan

Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:03 am

Pope, I'm not an expert on criminal law, so I guess you could be right, as well.  Smile I appreciate your expertise.
What's fair is fair.