TNNH
Topic Author

Borat Sagdiyev From Kazakhstan

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:06 pm

My wife is dead.

Wahwah Weewah!

who has seen this movie? My sister... #4 prostitite in all of Kazakhstan. I love Bilo but he is sex crazy. Previous I was gypsy catcher. Now I go for sexytime exploision

TNNH

Aeroflot777

RE: Borat Sagdiyev From Kazakhstan

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:37 pm

Isn't it coming out tomorrow?

Aeroflot777

VHVXB

Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:59 pm

Wahwah Weewah
This Interview with Letterman is hilarious

tz757300

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:09 pm

Her vag**a start to hang loose like sleeve of wizard, hahaha
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

Continental

Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:20 pm

I went to go see the special screening here in Minneapolis but the damn theater filled up before we could get in! I guess I'm gonna have to wait until Saturday. I'm a huge Borat fan!

khi747

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:57 pm

Borat has to be one of the craziest,most innovative and funniest acts of all time.I am in Brussels right now i will go see the movie on Monday.Cant wait!

runway23

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:00 pm

I was gonna go and see it today, unfortunately the fact that I am sick limits me from going there.

So will see it later on next week.

kaddyuk

Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting Runway23 (Reply 6):
I was gonna go and see it today, unfortunately the fact that I am sick limits me from going there.

Sympathy Seeker...!
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

JAGflyer

Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:48 am

I'm hopefully going to see the movie on the weekend. I should bring a change of boxers as I probably will piss myself laughing! Big grin
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

9V

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:00 am

As a regular cinema goer I will give you my unbiased view.  

It was a 10 minute sketch dragged out for 89 minutes. It was a load of rubbish. Yes, there were some very funny stand-out moments like the naked wrestling in the hotel, the etiquette dinner party where he shits in a bag and they threaten to get him arrested, the old racist guy at the rodeo and the neighbour with the mini ipod. But it's just basically anti-american and the whole plot revolves around Borat going to LA to meet his dream woman (Pamela Anderson). The best line in the film is (regarding Pamela) "I want to give her a romantic explosion across her stomach!"

Give it a miss!

[Edited 2006-11-03 17:04:48]

scbriml

Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:40 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 9):
But it's just basically anti-american

He's just anti-whoever he happens to be dissing this week.

He is very good at exposing peoples weaknesses and prejudices. yes 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

mhodgson

Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:54 am

I quite enjoyed it - but then my sense of humour is pretty puerile!!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

JAGflyer

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:25 pm

I just saw the Borat movie. Worth every penny but somehow it seemed to be missing something. The wrestling scene had me in tears. The "Pamella" wedding was 2nd best.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

captaingomes

Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:05 pm

Quoting 9V (Reply 9):
It was a 10 minute sketch dragged out for 89 minutes

I haven't seen it yet, but this is what worries me. Borat is using mostly material that we've seen before, but putting it in a movie designed for American consumption. I really want to watch it, but I'm worried it might be somewhat disappointing.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

cy319

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:10 am

I have just watched it.  Smile Hilarious!!!
Although American comedies hardly make me laugh...this one exceeded every of my expectations!!!! I was laughing out loud all the time.
The only thing that let me down was the unexpected and not 'very happy' end of the movie. Usually in comedies of this type, you can guess the end from the first 5' of the movie.
wanna be travel buddies ,sex buddies .. or both ?

sovietjet

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:02 am

Quoting Captaingomes (Reply 13):
I haven't seen it yet, but this is what worries me. Borat is using mostly material that we've seen before, but putting it in a movie designed for American consumption. I really want to watch it, but I'm worried it might be somewhat disappointing.

Lol dude you're putting way too much thought into this. It's just a movie, not a decision of a lifetime.

captaingomes

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:04 am

Quoting Sovietjet (Reply 15):
Lol dude you're putting way too much thought into this. It's just a movie, not a decision of a lifetime.

It's two hours of my time  Wink I'm a big Borat fan, I just don't want to be disappointed!  Smile
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

ScottishLaddie

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 9):
there were some very funny stand-out moments like the naked wrestling in the hotel

rotfl   rotfl  That scene just about killed me, completely hilarious.

jimyvr

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:51 am

The Movie hit #1 in the box office.

gross estimate $26.75million from 837 theatres
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

FlyVirgin744

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:37 pm

Quoting 9V (Reply 9):
it's just basically anti-american

Although I haven't seen the movie yet, I have seen all of the Borat skits from Da Ali G Show on HBO. I wouldn't classify it so much anti-American because he's showing problems that still exist in America. But in doing so many cases it also shows things that are right.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

kiwiinoz

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:02 pm

Quoting FlyVirgin744 (Reply 19):
Although I haven't seen the movie yet, I have seen all of the Borat skits from Da Ali G Show on HBO. I wouldn't classify it so much anti-American because he's showing problems that still exist in America. But in doing so many cases it also shows things that are right.

It's not anti-American. It satirises the segment of America that has a misguided, media influenced perception of the rest of the world, and is poking fun at some of these self-absorbed ethno-centrics. There are plenty of other shows/movies that do this, (eg South park, Team America - World Police).

AerospaceFan

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:32 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 20):
It's not anti-American. It satirises the segment of America that has a misguided, media influenced perception of the rest of the world, and is poking fun at some of these self-absorbed ethno-centrics. There are plenty of other shows/movies that do this, (eg South park, Team America - World Police).

Who decides what's "misguided"? Why is it okay to make fun of certain Americans, for example, and not -- for example -- ethnic people, for their mannerisms or beliefs?
What's fair is fair.

VHVXB

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:39 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 21):
Who decides what's "misguided"? Why is it okay to make fun of certain Americans, for example, and not -- for example -- ethnic people, for their mannerisms or beliefs?

well then who do you want to see being made fun of?

kiwiinoz

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 21):
Why is it okay to make fun of certain Americans, for example, and not -- for example -- ethnic people, for their mannerisms or beliefs?

Because making fun of a group based on ethnic traits or behaviour is inappropriate, (most of the time). Self-absorbtion and ethnocentricity is not anything to do with being American, it's merely a trait that exists quite strongly in America, (and many other countries for that matter)

AerospaceFan

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:44 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 22):
well then who do you want to see being made fun of?

How about no group at all?

Some people are so fond of telling us how humanity must "evolve". They would be among the first to revile jokes about ethnic differences or stereotypes. But if it's about certain kinds of Americans, that's somehow okay. Why is that?

Why is tolerance only one-way, where conservatives are supposed to tolerate things that liberals want them to tolerate, and yet some liberals feel free to bash anyone they want?

Think of evangelicals, for example, or people who believe in traditional values. And, from one account I read, this Sacha Baron Cohen, the actor playing "Borat", seems to thinks it's just fine to make fun of Southerners as "dumb hicks". He has his character act in such a way to make some of these folk look like complete idiots. Why not make fun of urban blacks, too? Or is that politically incorrect?

I would respect liberals a lot more if they practiced more of what they preached. If it's wrong to make fun of black cultural groups, it's also wrong to make fun of white cultural groups.

[Edited 2006-11-06 07:48:49]
What's fair is fair.

columba

Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:30 pm

It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

AerospaceFan

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:06 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 23):
Because making fun of a group based on ethnic traits or behaviour is inappropriate, (most of the time).

Thank you for your response.

However, why aren't the behaviors of the broad cultural group that resides in the South considered off limits, I wonder?
What's fair is fair.

MYT332

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:15 pm

Quoting 9V (Reply 9):
It was a 10 minute sketch dragged out for 89 minutes.

You know, I'll have to agree with this. I wouldn't call it rubbish, it certainly does give you a few laughs but the plot of travelling across America to find Pamela Anderson was a bit weak if you ask me.

Quoting Captaingomes (Reply 16):
I just don't want to be disappointed!

I've been a fan for years but sadly, I was a bit disappointed by it! I'd still say go see it, it's worth your time but I just think it could have been better.
One Life, Live it.

yooyoo

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Quoting Jimyvr (Reply 18):
gross estimate $26.75million from 837 theatres

Apparently it was to open in over 2000 theatres but somebody at the head office (Fox?) cut it back to the 837 level. You do the math.

Some heads are gonna role !!  smile 
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

AerospaceFan

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:35 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 28):
Apparently it was to open in over 2000 theatres but somebody at the head office (Fox?) cut it back to the 837 level. You do the math.

It may seem nice to make fun of Americans, but I won't exactly be waiting with bated breath to see a film making fun of people from other countries, such as Mexico. True, Kazahkstan is implicitly made fun of, but the film, from all accounts, is focused more on the foibles of America.

How about, next time, we make a film making fun of the French? Or Mexicans?

Sacre bleu!

I don't think it'll happen, folks. Because there are too many people who -- rightfully -- would protest against this kind of exploitation. Of course, Americans, on the other hand, take these things in stride. Which is why some groups in our country are such an easy target, and others are not.

I refuse to see this Borat film in theaters, no matter how popular it is.
What's fair is fair.

yooyoo

Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:49 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 29):

Waiting for the DVD release?  Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

AerospaceFan

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:10 pm

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 30):
Waiting for the DVD release?  Wink

Yup -- gonna buy a few and immediately trash 'em just so they're off the market.

Big grin
What's fair is fair.

Lazarus31

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:37 pm

for all da people who are fans of borat all i can say is....'I LIKE!!!! DO YOU LIKE???'

and for all you people who are takin this thread too seriously all i can say is.....'MAYBE YOU NEEDA TRAVEL TO THE CAPITOL AND WACTHA WOMAN MAKe TOILET......Waa waa wee waa. HI FIVE!!!'

point is, it Borat rocks....and hopefully i'll be watching the movie soon! 'HAVA SEXY TIME'

Laz

Blackbird07

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:49 pm

I went to see it Friday night/Sat morning, at midnight...In the IMAX on 68th Street in Lincoln Square. They had SO many people, they put it in the IMAX. *THAT* was funny. Every 18 - 30 year old in Manhattan was there, I swear.

The movie, in parts, had me in tears. Other parts made me go "Oh dear god!" Other parts made me go "WTF?"?

It was worth the $12.00 and ridiculous line waiting to file into the IMAX.

I love the guys show, but I think it's best in short bursts and not dragged out for 1.5 hours.

Consider having a few beers before you go, it might make the WTF? parts more funny.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward..."

satx

Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:57 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 24):
Some people are so fond of telling us how humanity must "evolve". They would be among the first to revile jokes about ethnic differences or stereotypes. But if it's about certain kinds of Americans, that's somehow okay. Why is that?

I can't explain why "they" are doing something until you explain who "they" are.

Why is tolerance only one-way, where conservatives are supposed to tolerate things that liberals want them to tolerate, and yet some liberals feel free to bash anyone they want?

Oh, so "they" are liberals? Well, as a liberal I get bashed day and night. Here on A.net, on the national news, and in the local news. Ever heard of Fox News? That's little more than a 24-hour liberal bashing channel to my eyes. Oh, but you want us to feel sorry for you? Give me a break.

Think of evangelicals, for example, or people who believe in traditional values. And, from one account I read, this Sacha Baron Cohen, the actor playing "Borat", seems to thinks it's just fine to make fun of Southerners as "dumb hicks". He has his character act in such a way to make some of these folk look like complete idiots. Why not make fun of urban blacks, too? Or is that politically incorrect?

Yeah, that's politically incorrect. A person can't help being born a certain color, but you can sure as hell avoid growing up to be a dumb hick if you just work at it.

I would respect liberals a lot more if they practiced more of what they preached.

What on earth makes you think we don't feel the exact same way?

If it's wrong to make fun of black cultural groups, it's also wrong to make fun of white cultural groups.

I'm white, but as an adult I can see how white guys are the politically correct target of the era. I used to feel threatened as you apparently do when I was a teenager, but I've since managed to outgrow it. Hopefully you'll be able to as well.

It may seem nice to make fun of Americans, but I won't exactly be waiting with bated breath to see a film making fun of people from other countries, such as Mexico. True, Kazahkstan is implicitly made fun of, but the film, from all accounts, is focused more on the foibles of America.

See, now you're just feeding into my fear that conservatives simply can't handle a little introspection now and again, even in the form of comedy.

How about, next time, we make a film making fun of the French? Or Mexicans?

Yeah, nobody's ever included a jab at the French or Mexicans in any movie before. Whatever.

I don't think it'll happen, folks. Because there are too many people who -- rightfully -- would protest against this kind of exploitation. Of course, Americans, on the other hand, take these things in stride. Which is why some groups in our country are such an easy target, and others are not.

You don't seem to be taking it in stride, but that apparently isn't stopping you from taking credit for others.

Need I say more?

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 31):
Yup -- gonna buy a few and immediately trash 'em just so they're off the market.

Just like we 'bought' Iraq and then trashed it when they stopped playing by our rules?

[Edited 2006-11-06 16:11:50]
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

Air380

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:20 am

Don't you love the similar topics? "Great literature from your country or language"  Silly

Kay

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:23 am

I saw the movie on November 2nd, and I didn't see it at all as anti-American...  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused

it was a blatant, outrageously funny description of Kazakhstan, something beyond my comprehension, but one of the funniest movies I have seen since a decade..

I can't understand how one can just staple the name of a country on his satire, ridiculing that whole nation and the people in it just for fun, but it was a blast!!!! Big grin

Kay

satx

Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Kay (Reply 36):
I saw the movie on November 2nd, and I didn't see it at all as anti-American

Oh you must have missed the memo. Anything that is not pro-American is now considered anti-American. Live and learn.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

scbriml

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:24 am

I would respect liberals a lot more if they practiced more of what they preached. If it's wrong to make fun of black cultural groups, it's also wrong to make fun of white cultural groups.

But the whole point of SBC's humour, through all his characters, is to twist the prejudices 180 degrees. His favourite expression as Ali G (an allegedly black person) is "You is only saying that 'cos I is black!" His white victims clearly cannot cope with being accused of being racist towards a black person who is anything but! Ditto with all his anti-semetic humour, he's Jewish.

The astonishing thing is how many other people he can get to agree to his outrageous "views". He's very clever at picking up peoples prejudices and giving them a tweak:

To a stiff upper lip type at Henley Regatta - "In my country we have saying, show me woman with brain and I show you horse with wings!" brings a response along the lines of "Ha ha old chap, know what you mean, but can't say that sort of thing here any more."

How would you expect a panel of feminists to react when he says "Things improving in my country. Now women can ride inside of bus!"? It's irrelevant that they're white American feminists, he's just winding them up.

Ditto telling anti-hunt protesters that "in Kazakhstan we hunt bears" produced the inevitable reaction, which he then mollifies by saying "It doesn't happen any more." before adding the killer blow "There are no bears left!"

If you don't think he's funny, you may need to see a doctor. wink 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

FlyVirgin744

Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:49 pm

this Sacha Baron Cohen, the actor playing "Borat", seems to thinks it's just fine to make fun of Southerners as "dumb hicks".

He is not just making fun of Southerners. There are many things that show how comforting the average southerners are, only a few skits does he show the racist/prejudice ones. And those people are definitely misguided.

How about, next time, we make a film making fun of the French?

Actually Cohen did make fun of the French in his last movie "Talladega Nights" when he played a gay French Nascar driver.
Sometimes I go about in pity for myself and all the while a great wind carries me across the sky.

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:11 pm

Good for you. Now if you'd only shut your trap about the film which you have no first hand knowledge of, then we'd be in business.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

HPLASOps

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:45 pm

Hmm.....it seems like those who are bashing the film are the ones who haven't seen it yet - and those who did see it are the ones who love it. Isn't that a little peculiar?

I saw the 2nd showing of Friday morning at my brother's theater. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, best moviefilm of the year.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

KAUSpilot

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:52 pm

Here's how I felt walking out of the theater:

What we just saw was one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in this rambling, incoherent film was the dialouge even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this audience is now dumber for having listened to it. I award borat no points, and may God have mercy on his soul.

HPLASOps

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:02 pm

Quoting KAUSpilot (Reply 42):
What we just saw was one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in this rambling, incoherent film was the dialouge even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this audience is now dumber for having listened to it. I award borat no points, and may God have mercy on his soul.

Is that you penguin? I'm gonna get you penguin! BTW, I'll take "My wife is a dirty, dirty tramp" for 10 points. He called the shit poo.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:16 pm

ok
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

dazeflight

Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:46 pm

What we just saw was one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever seen. At no point in this rambling, incoherent film was the dialouge even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this audience is now dumber for having listened to it.

You didn't get it. I'm sorry for you. If you had got it, it might have even enlighted you a little.

[...]a rational thought[...]may God have mercy on his soul.

I can feel a contradiction here  Smile

ciao
Daniel

CactusA319

Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:38 am

But somehow you think "Billy Madison" is funnier? Wow.

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 26):
However, why aren't the behaviors of the broad cultural group that resides in the South considered off limits, I wonder?

FYI - He does poke fun at other groups in the movie, not just southerners. Why not watch the movie before bashing it? Or maybe become more familiar with Cohen's work before assuming that he's a damn liberal and all he does is make fun of white conservatives.

Cessnapimp

Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:08 pm

I think this is a complete "hit or miss" movie, which I think depend entirely on the mood you're in when you walk in that theatre. Walk in with your arms crossed and tense, you won't like it. I couldn;'t of been in a better mood when I saw it and I cried the whole time... "my moustache still smells of your testies".

Some serious moments tough, that guy telling him to shave his moustache and the whole spiel on the "others".

Throwing money at the cockroaches... another good one.

KAUSpilot

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:20 pm

Quoting CactusA319 (Reply 46):
But somehow you think "Billy Madison" is funnier? Wow.

I actually thought it was pretty funny. I also felt like I dropped about a dozen IQ points by the time the credits rolled.

[Edited 2006-11-13 04:20:27]

walter747

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:41 pm

Borat = Best Moive Ever.

The Fist.
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind