cfalk

Abortion Poll

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:00 pm

Instead of the standard Yes/No answer, How about getting a bit more indepth opinion

1. Do you believe that a woman should be able to have a 1st trimester with few or no restrictions.

2. Do you believe that a woman should be able to have a 2nd trimester with few or no restrictions. (Fetus has working heart, brain and other organs, but is not independently viable)

3. Do you believe that Late Term Abortion (3rd Trimester) should be allowed with few on no restrictions. (Fetus is generally viable - many children are born 2-3 months early and survive with a little care)

My answers:

1: Yes
2: Yes, but with more restrictions.
3: No.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

halls120

RE: Abortion Poll

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Thread starter):
1. Do you believe that a woman should be able to have a 1st trimester with few or no restrictions.

2. Do you believe that a woman should be able to have a 2nd trimester with few or no restrictions. (Fetus has working heart, brain and other organs, but is not independently viable)

3. Do you believe that Late Term Abortion (3rd Trimester) should be allowed with few on no restrictions. (Fetus is generally viable - many children are born 2-3 months early and survive with a little care)

My answers:

1. yes
2. yes
3. no
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AC773

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:16 pm

1. yes
2. yes
3. no
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

Cadet57

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:18 pm

1-Yes
2-Yes
3-No

Its not short.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

CPH-R

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:22 pm

Yes
Yes
No

The debate about late-late abortions has been triggered in Denmark, by a recent documentary that showed a doctor in Spain who was willing to perform an abortion on women who were 8 months pregnant. Iirc it also mentioned that some women, who were not able to get a legal abortion in Denmark due, had started going to the UK where abortions canbe carried out until later in the pregnancy, but damned if I can remember the difference.

allstarflyer

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:22 pm

May I deviate? I believe if men were men, fewer women would want to have an abortion - there would be a man around to support and provide - for the wife as well as the child. Society would be rid of at least half of its problems if men were just men.

-R
Living the American Dream

AsstChiefMark

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:23 pm

yes
yes
no

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Coz

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:28 pm

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 5):
Society would be rid of at least half of its problems if men were just men.

I agree, men should be allowed to have abortions too. It's just not fair.

LTU932

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:37 pm

Yes, especially in the case of rape victims. As a sidefact: in Germany, an abortion during the first trimester is the only allowed abortion. That's what I personally consider the only abortion that should be legal.

Unless the girl/woman could get serious health problems as a result of the pregnancy or even die, absolutely not.

If it is meant as an abortion, absolutely not. However, if the girl/woman is unable to carry the baby to full term at this stage because of a health problem, which also includes a problem with the fetus which requires that it be born early, then yes.

Your questions are quite interesting and complicated to answer. Mostly, I'm all for abortion, especially for rape victims and specifically for little girls who get pregnant. It reminds me of this 9 year old girl known as Rosa, who got raped here in Costa Rica. Costa Rican authorities even wanted to prevent that she return to her home country of Nicaragua, where abortion, although technically illegal, can be performed under special circumstances. Nevertheless, she returned and the case caused quite a controversy, as Church officials declared that the doctors and the family, for having opted for this "therapeutical abortion" as it is called, were to be excommunicated and released an open letter that almost compared abortion to a terrorist bombing.

That abortion was performed in a private clinic, after the state hospitals either refused or made problems with paperwork and authorisations. The health minister of the time declared the already performed abortion as a crime, while the Attorney General legitimised this action as an "act that was performed in the interest of the girl's health". The rapist was apprehended in Turrialba, Cartago Provice, Costa Rica, but has refused to accept the charges. I couldn't find more on the outcome of this rape though.

Sources from where I quoted this information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Nicaragua
http://www.ipas.org/english/press_room/2006/releases/10102006.asp
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2778565.stm

The worst part is that Nicaragua has embarked on restricting abortion even more, although in the case of rapes, child pregnancies are something very common. Abortion is now a campaign issue for tomorrow's presidential elections.

The case of little Rosa is something that convinced me even more of how Abortion is something that should be legal in the first trimester, although I also consider it a "necessary evil". However, when it comes to the issue of abortions in the second and third trimester, I wouldn't want that unless there is a medical reason for it as I outlined in the answers to your questions above.

scamp

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:47 pm

yes, yes, no...at the third trimester you had your chance and you blew it.
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

airbus3801

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:50 pm

Yes
Yes
No, Unless a risk to health you should know by now.

ZBBYLW

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:51 pm

Yes
Yes
No - Unless if it medically benifits the mother. (Sever risks with continuation)
Keep the shinny side up!

OlegShv

Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:58 pm

1. Yes
2. No
3. No

speedbird747BA

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:03 pm

Maybe
No
No

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

AirTranTUS

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:03 pm

1. No
2. No
3. No

Looks like I'm first with this view, but it is where I stand.
I love ASO!

CO7e7

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:15 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 11):
Yes
Yes
No - Unless if it medically benifits the mother. (Sever risks with continuation)

checkmark 

-Zaki

allstarflyer

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:29 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 14):
1. No
2. No
3. No

Looks like I'm first with this view, but it is where I stand.

Women get the shaft in relationships often and when they get pregnant, sometimes they want an abortion. There's a lot of dynamics involved, more than many people are often aware, I'm sure. But, you're not the only one, trust me.

-R
Living the American Dream

fspilot747

Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:46 pm

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Explanation for No. 3: Surely, you've had enough time to work things out and decide if you can go through with birth. I know somebody who was born more than 2 months premature, and turned out to be a 100% normal kid and grew up to be a normal guy with no problems.

Furthermore, many aborted kids could have survived through birth. Beyond that, however, it is a woman's body and the law needs to know its limits. That is a private sphere, and until that baby is separated from its mother, it is still part of its mother.

Key - I don't think there should be a law against it, but I think doctor's should refuse to abort babies at that point, because of the hippocratic oath. At the third trimester, the baby is also a patient, and the doctor has an obligation to act in the best interests of both parties. 1st, the mother, 2nd, the baby. So barring any medical complications, the doctor should (and probably would prefer) to say sorry, you had 6 months to figure this out. I can't abort this baby because he is my patient now and I have to act in its best interests.

Exception: Rape. Psychological effects can be extreme, and if a rape victim wants an abortion in the 3rd trimester, then so be it. We don't know what psychological factors contributed to her thought process. No system is perfect, but a raped woman should have the right to abort her baby if she decides, 1st or 3rd trimester.

The law, however, has no place until that umbilical cord is cut.

GQfluffy

Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:26 pm

Quoting OlegShv (Reply 12):
1. Yes
2. No
3. No

What he said... Big grin
This isn't where I parked my car...

Boeing744

Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:41 pm

Yes
Yes
No... except in extreme circumstances (i.e. to save the mother).

QXatFAT

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:10 pm

1. No
2. No
3. No

Kyle
Don't Tread On Me!

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:01 pm

Yes, absolutely. A woman has the absolute right to decide what happens to her own body.

Yes, for medical reasons (either for the mother's health, or if the foetus is severely impaired)

Yes, for medical reasons (at this stage, the state of the foetus would already be known, so generally it would be for the sake of the mother's health, although it would have to be quite serious. In any case, it would be for the doctor and the mother to decide between them).

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 20):

1. No
2. No
3. No

As a male, don't you think it's a little presumptuous of you to dictate what a woman does with her own body ?
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Duff44

Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:55 pm

1) Yes
2) No
3) No

Exception: all should be allowed in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the mother's health.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

N1120A

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:04 am

My answers:

Same for me, and most people in this world I would venture to say. Third trimester abortion should definately be allowed for medical reasons, but I see no point in carrying a child of rape or incest that far unless you want to have it or have been locked up and unable to access an abortion for 6 months. The restrictions on second term abortion should not be restrictions at all, rather regulation of procedure to keep the woman from being exposed to undue risk.

I believe if men were men, fewer women would want to have an abortion - there would be a man around to support and provide - for the wife as well as the child. Society would be rid of at least half of its problems if men were just men.

What an absolutely sexist thing to say. Being around to "support and provide" doesn't make someone a "man" nor does sitting around changing diapers and baking cookies make someone a "woman".

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 8):
As a sidefact: in Germany, an abortion during the first trimester is the only allowed abortion.

Technically, even that is illegal, but it is not criminal.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:06 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 23):
Technically, even that is illegal, but it is not criminal.

Eh ? If it is illegal, then by definition it must be criminal. Please explain...
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Slovacek747

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:10 am

NO
NO
NO

Slovacek747

N1120A

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:12 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 24):
Eh ? If it is illegal, then by definition it must be criminal. Please explain...

Not exactly. Technically, any form of ending a potential or actual life is illegal in Germany, it just happens that they don't have criminal penalties for performing an early term abortion. It is sort of like places where marijuana is technically illegal but you can't go to jail or be fined for it.

RichardPrice

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:20 am

1. Yes
2. Yes.
3. No - excluding medical reasons.

As an additional question, should a mother be able to have a cosmetic (ie no medical reason at any stage in the pregnancy) abortion without the consent of the father?

IE should the fathers wishes be taken into account?

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:24 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 26):
Not exactly. Technically, any form of ending a potential or actual life is illegal in Germany, it just happens that they don't have criminal penalties for performing an early term abortion. It is sort of like places where marijuana is technically illegal but you can't go to jail or be fined for it.

OK, well, I'll take your word for it. Seems a bit of an odd system to me, though. Normally laws are written to specify what is illegal, and anything not specifically prohibited is normally, by default, legal.

N1120A

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 27):

No, absolutely not. While a father's role in conception as well as raising a child is indispensable, no one should be in control of a person's body but that person.

should a mother be able to have a cosmetic (ie no medical reason at any stage in the pregnancy) abortion

How short sighted is it to make the claim that an abortion is merely "cosmetic". To do so is to insult all the women through out history who have made the choice to end their pregnancy for myriad reasons that aren't medical. The emotional and physical toll a perfectly healthy pregnancy takes on a woman's body is not something to just be dismissed and ignored while calling something cosmetic.

duke

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:28 am

1 - no

2 - no

3 - NO!!!!!

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:30 am

Only by the mother, but it is ultimately her decision alone. The old rule applies - No womb, no opinion.

RichardPrice

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
How short sighted is it to make the claim that an abortion is merely "cosmetic". To do so is to insult all the women through out history who have made the choice to end their pregnancy for myriad reasons that aren't medical. The emotional and physical toll a perfectly healthy pregnancy takes on a woman's body is not something to just be dismissed and ignored while calling something cosmetic.

If the term 'cosmetic' offends you, then thats your problem, but I was using it purely to symbolise an abortion with no medical reason

N1120A

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 32):
If the term 'cosmetic' offends you, then thats your problem, but I was using it purely to symbolise an abortion with no medical reason

It not only offends me, but offends millions of women who make the choice. There is nothing cosmetic about it and to marginalize things that way is downright nasty.

Where is Greasespot when we need her?

TedTAce

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:10 am

How funny a bunch of men talking about a womens issue.

ABSOLUTELY

ABSOLUTELY

ABSOLUTELY, the only stipulation being a 1000% private counciling session of 1 hour.

I believe if men were men

You know, if only it were that easy. Yes that are a lot of cases generated by men being assholes, but it's not the whole story by a long shot. A lot of times you will find men are 100% commited to the relationship, and the idea of being a father, but as a couple, the decision is jointly made that a child doesn't make sense to them and their circumstances. It has happened to me personally that a girlfriend terminated the child without my knowledge of her being pregnant. Accidents do happen even when you try to do the right thing. Also I'm finding that more and more of the population is living paycheck to paycheck where a child is fiscally impossible. Why make the general population pay for the stupidity of a few?
This space intentionally left blank

fxramper

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:11 am

1. no
2. no
3. no

Only in rape, incest, or medical conditions should abortion be available.

I remember being a 13 year old high school freshman at St Johns in Houston, and getting a permission slip signed for my Biology class to watch an actual abortion on video.

It's still haunting to this day to think about what I heard and saw on that video.  Sad

Please be responsible all.

RichardPrice

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:24 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):
It not only offends me, but offends millions of women who make the choice. There is nothing cosmetic about it and to marginalize things that way is downright nasty.

Then they (and you) really need to get off their high horse - if theres no medical reason why they cant have that baby, then its a nonmedical reason and definitely not in the same class as an abortion for medical reasons.

rjpieces

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:25 am

Very interesting responses that seem to mirror how the Supreme Court has refined abortion laws over the years...
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

f.pier

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:37 am

1 - NO
2 - NO
3 - NO

Absolutely no.

We live in 2006 and everybody know how girls become pregnant. If you don't want to become mother/father, use condoms or other methods.
Once you're pregnant you MUST KNOW that you're not talking about a part of the mother body, but you're talking about another person, which has the right to live.

[Edited 2006-11-05 17:38:00]

N1120A

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 36):
then its a nonmedical reason and definitely not in the same class as an abortion for medical reasons.

Every abortion is medical, every pregnancy is medical.

Quoting F.pier (Reply 38):
Once you're pregnant you MUST KNOW that you're not talking about a part of the mother body, but you're talking about another person, which has the right to live.

Prior to the second trimester, you are talking about a goo of stem cells that is part of the mother. During the second trimester, you are talking about something that is lifeless without the mother. Neither one is a person.

scbriml

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:45 am

Quoting F.pier (Reply 38):
We live in 2006 and everybody know how girls become pregnant. If you don't want to become mother/father, use condoms or other methods.

What's your solution for a woman who becomes pregnant as a result of being raped?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

f.pier

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:53 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 39):
you are talking about something that is lifeless without the mother. Neither one is a person.

This is what you think. You have the right to decide when a person is a person and when it's not??

f.pier

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:53 am

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 40):
What's your solution for a woman who becomes pregnant as a result of being raped?

To give birth to the child and give him/her for adoption.

N1120A

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting F.pier (Reply 41):
This is what you think. You have the right to decide when a person is a person and when it's not??

It appears you think exactly that. The difference is, I use science, you use otherwise.

Quoting F.pier (Reply 42):

Yeah, it is that easy  sarcastic 

NeilYYZ

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:55 am

1. No
2. No
3. No

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 22):

Exception: all should be allowed in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the mother's health.

checkmark 
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

f.pier

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 43):
It appears you think exactly that. The difference is, I use science, you use otherwise.

Imagine a woman, pregnant, ready to give birth to a child, 9 months.
The child is a child? Yes
One day before, that child was a child or not? Yes
Two days before? Yes.
270 days before? Yes

The only discontinuity point is the moment when that woman became pregnant.
I'm not a religious fanatic so I agree witl the use of anticonceptional methods, but people must have their responsabilities.

If you don't want the child you give him/her for adoption. Is it hard? And abortion is an easy solution?

The only situation I can agree with abortion is when the fetus is (100% sure) abnormal, but in a very hard way. Not if it has Down syndrome, for example.

[Edited 2006-11-05 18:05:03]

ManuCH
Crew

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:09 am

1 - Yes
2 - Yes
3 - Yes, but only after prior counseling or for medical reasons

Quoting N1120A (Reply 29):
How short sighted is it to make the claim that an abortion is merely "cosmetic".

Maybe "elective" would have been a better wording.

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

piercey

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 22):

IMHO, only way it should happen after first trimester is if one of those things happen. Call me a fence rider, but that's what I believe.
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

scbriml

Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:56 am

Quoting F.pier (Reply 42):

Hmm, nice for the woman. First she's raped, then you suggest she trump that experience by spending the next 9 months carrying the rapist's offspring in her body as a constant reminder?

You liberals crack me up! banghead 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

northstardc4m

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 19):
Yes
Yes
No... except in extreme circumstances (i.e. to save the mother).

checkmark 
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.