Cadet57
Topic Author

Mac OSX Bootcamp Problem...

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:49 pm

Right so I am trying to run bootcamp on my Macbook pro. I got the drivers cd and the copy of XP. I start the partiton and it stops and says that the index needs to be journaled. What is journaled and how do I make my drive journaled? If it helps I am considering wiping the drive to begin with and start with a fresh install of OSX. Is that possible with the two OSX dvd's that came with my system?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

Klaus

RE: Mac OSX Bootcamp Problem...

Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:31 pm

It's a bit unclear where exactly you are at this point...

But journaling is basically a mechanism which logs changes made to a logical drive so in case of a crash (sudden loss of power or another severe system failure such as a kernel panic - both extremely unlikely) the system won't have to scan thousands or millions of files for structural integrity when it reboots again. Instead, the saved journaling information provides a much quicker reference to which changes had been under way when the crash happened. It's basically a mechanism to save time in case of a crash.

In recent versions of MacOS X, partitions in its own HFS+ format can and should have journaling enabled. The partition format is indicated as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" in that case when you invoke "get info" for a disk.

I haven't used Boot Camp myself so far, but my guess would be that the dynamic resizing of the MacOS partition to accomodate a new Windows partition might not work properly when journaling is not enabled. Is that where you're stuck?

These articles are probably pertinent to your problem:
Boot Camp Assistant Beta: "Your startup disk cannot be partitioned..." alert
Disk Utility 10.5 Help: Using journaling to recover your information