Shinkai
Topic Author

The Ultimate Lexus Thread!

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:34 am

the ES, IS, GS, LS have all received the L-finess treatment and now they look like a handsome family!

brother lexus

sister lexus

mother lexus

father lexus

when will RX and SC have a makeover too?

hot elder sister lexus

grandpa lexus

and methinks Lexus will do good with a sports-tuning arm!
please relax, enjoy your flight... Good Luck!!

dalb777

RE: The Ultimate Lexus Thread!

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:23 am

Dont forget about the LX and GX:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/RYCAMAC/LexusLX.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f137/RYCAMAC/LexusGX.jpg

The LX will probably get a makeover when Toyota updates the Land Cruiser and Sequoia.

Also,Lexus is apparently releasing the JX sometime next year, which will be another SUV. Don't see anything on the Lexus website about that, but I found it here on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_JX
Geaux Tigers! Geaux Hornets! Geaux Saints! WHO DAT!!!

flight152

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:32 am

Sports tuning? Lexus? Let's be serious here, even the 'sporty' Lexii (and I use the word sporty loosly) have the sporting quotient of a Volvo, which is to say very small.

That SC looks like a block of tofu.

vivek0072

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:34 am

I don't thik the RX needs a make over, it is pretty good looking anyway.
Edmunds had an article about the 2009 Lexus RX. Should say it looks a bit like the Mazda CX - 7.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=116536

Quoting Dalb777 (Reply 1):
The LX will probably get a makeover when Toyota updates the Land Cruiser and Sequoia.

Also,Lexus is apparently releasing the JX sometime next year, which will be another SUV.

More about the next Land Cruiser/ LX here

http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto.../spy-photos-new-toyota-landcruiser
That life's most failures were people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up. - Edison.

IAH777

Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:39 am

My wife loves her '05 ES330 and is already talking about her next one - the LS. Dream on hooker. Better start turning tricks behind Burger King.

We got an RX as a loaner a couple of months ago and it was nice, though about US$10K overpriced, IMO. Sticker was US$41K, but I didn't see where it was any more spectacular than our ES. I'd wanted an RX prior to the loaner, but am now looking for something more reasonable.

deltaownsall

Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:37 am

Quoting Flight152 (Reply 2):
Sports tuning? Lexus? Let's be serious here, even the 'sporty' Lexii (and I use the word sporty loosly) have the sporting quotient of a Volvo, which is to say very small.

Ouch...

I realize you were just making a punchline but...I drive an '06 IS 350 and (ironically) I raced a buddy of mine who drives an '06 volvo s60 r (fastest volvo on the market i believe, at least at the time). Needless to say, I had my way pretty easily. 5.3 sec 0-60 is certainly respectable, and with the impending IS500 project (possibly named "IS-F") Lexus should finally have an M/AMG competitor. It's expected to have the new Lexus V8 from the LS460, although tuned up a bit to ~420 hp and possibly with a small increase in displacement to 5 liters. Cant wait to see the new performance line...

As for the L-Finesse look, I love the new LS...a million times better and more stylish than the old one. As for the SC430, the interior is probably my favorite of any Lexus, but I think overall the coupe is in need of an update.

AC773

Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting DeltaOwnsAll (Reply 5):
I had my way pretty easily

with

a buddy of mine

Cant wait to see the new

bably

duck 
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

deltaownsall

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:05 am

woohoo .

AC773

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:07 am

Quoting DeltaOwnsAll (Reply 7):
woohoo .

I agree, that was much more fun than refrigerator magnets.  mischievous 
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

mdsh00

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:28 am

Quoting Shinkai (Thread starter):
sister lexus

Odd, that building in the background looks like my father's workplace (Toyota HQ in California).
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

Shinkai
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:04 pm

about the LS.. if having 8 gears is so good and makes the car so smooth, then why don't every car in the world have 8 gears? why do most cars have 5 and 6? is it some sort of agreement?

deltaownsall

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:19 am

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 10):
about the LS.. if having 8 gears is so good and makes the car so smooth, then why don't every car in the world have 8 gears? why do most cars have 5 and 6? is it some sort of agreement?

On that note, why doesnt every car in the world have navigation? or heated/power seats?

Shinkai
Topic Author

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:16 am

those are accessories which are not necessary!

but having more gears is economical, no?

jag i used to drive my father's ES 330 but it has some sort of transmissions problem, no? everytime i slow down and increase speed again, the entire car jerks!

[Edited 2006-11-13 03:20:19]

JAGflyer

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 13):
jag i used to drive my father's ES 330 but it has some sort of transmissions problem, no? everytime i slow down and increase speed again, the entire car jerks!

No, but there is a slight computer problem where it takes a second or two for the car to start moving when you push the accelerator. A few people have said its normal and the computer will adjust to your driving style after time.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

Springbok747

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:52 pm

Lexus sucks..Lexuses are nothing more than overpriced Toyotas  duck 
אני תומך בישראל

deltaownsall

Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:33 pm

those are accessories which are not necessary!

To be fair, we are talking luxury cars here...

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 15):
Lexus sucks..Lexuses are nothing more than overpriced Toyotas

Ow~

Seriously though, I really wish theyd take more care in delineating exterior features between the two brands.

Charger

Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:32 am

Thank God I'm not the only one who see's that.

Shinkai
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:13 am

Rolls Royce is an overpriced BMW, Bentley is an overpriced Phaeton, Maybach is an overpriced Mercedes Benz, Bugatti is an overpriced VW, Jaguar and Aston Martin is an overpriced ford...

but fine, there is one thing i agree.. and that is

Quoting DeltaOwnsAll (Reply 16):
Seriously though, I really wish theyd take more care in delineating exterior features between the two brands

flymia

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:20 am

Some what agree. I dont think Lexus is horrible I am just not a big fan. I just dont see anything special, maybe its my age but if I had the money for an lexus I rather buy something a little bit more exciting.

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 18):
Rolls Royce is an overpriced BMW, Bentley is an overpriced Phaeton, Maybach is an overpriced Mercedes Benz, Bugatti is an overpriced VW, Jaguar and Aston Martin is an overpriced ford...

Are you serious? When does a VW Phaeton share much with a Bentley besides for the W12 engine. I never seen a Rolls Royce that looked like a BMW. No VW's that look like Bugatti's or have the performance. What you said does not make much sense. Thats like saying a G500 is an overpriced Jeep.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

deltaownsall

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:29 pm

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 19):
Some what agree. I dont think Lexus is horrible I am just not a big fan. I just dont see anything special, maybe its my age but if I had the money for an lexus I rather buy something a little bit more exciting.

Justifiable opinion  checkmark 

Quoting Charger (Reply 17):
Thank God I'm not the only one who see's that.

Ignorance?

Shinkai
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:21 pm

for the GS/ES/IS yes, but the most expensive Toyata (Crown Royal Saloon) is not anywhere near the LS isnt it.. LS is in a class of its own! with 8 gears, it pwns all other cars!

AirPacific747

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:56 pm

but having more gears is economical, no?

In a world of competition, a lot of car manufacturers are competing on price. Most people don't care that much about whether it is 5,6,7 or 8 gears enough to actually pay extra for more gears.

Lexus sucks..Lexuses are nothing more than overpriced Toyotas duck

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 19):

I just don't think there's much style over Lexus. They probably drive well but they don't really appeal to me at all.

[Edited 2006-11-14 12:00:45]

Shinkai
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:04 pm

amazing! here is lexus being attacked and not one of the 30 000 anetters are here to defend it! are there really no hard core lexus fans around?

AirPacific747

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:16 pm

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 23):
! are there really no hard core lexus fans around?

There used to be one which I had a major discussion with but sadly he deleted himself a few months ago. He was a really nice guy afterall.

I think that a lot of Europeans feel that they have their own luxury brands in Europe so there is no need for a foreign luxury brand. That's why Lexus isn't as popular in Europe as it is in the US

Charger

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting DeltaOwnsAll (Reply 20):
Ignorance?

Maybe you should think before replying. My wife actually owns a Lexus and it is absolutely nothing more than an overpriced Toyota. There is hardly anything special about it. So much so that she told me when we are ready to replace it next year she would rather have the Toyota Camry.
So maybe it is you that is Ignorant SIR!!!

And I didn't know that according to you, agreeing with someone else's post was considered ignorant.

[Edited 2006-11-14 16:06:39]

LOT767-300ER

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 21):
for the GS/ES/IS yes, but the most expensive Toyata (Crown Royal Saloon) is not anywhere near the LS isnt it.. LS is in a class of its own! with 8 gears, it pwns all other cars!

Toyata?

The LS pwns all other cars when you have to parallel park automatically in San Francisco. Thats about all that it owns.

Hardcore Lexus fans? Buahaha...Thats like saying "Hardcore Buick fans"

I dont know how the fuel economy of the new IS series is, I hope its better than the IS200/300 versions which had the fuel economy of a Ford Expedition.

On another note, any Mercury looks more exciting than a Lexus ES series...what a horrible looking car.

deltaownsall

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting Charger (Reply 25):
And I didn't know that according to you, agreeing with someone else's post was considered ignorant.

confused 

Springbok appeared to have a sense of humor about what he was throwing into the fray...and of course, agreeing with an opinion is more or less the same thing as stating it yourself.

Anyways, this is turning into a damn college thread or something...the biases are overwhelming. Everyone im sure has had different experiences with lexus/any other car company and has different ideas of each. I just dont get the overpriced toyota one though lol, are we saying that cars like the LS460 should be priced evenly with a Toyota Avalon?! It feels like people are just fishing for something that will piss off anyone that actually appreciates/owns Lexuses, but if anyone does indeed agree with that statement, I think itd be great to hear the justification Big grin Or any justification for the apparent interest in the outright stripping of the Lexus brand and ~50% price reduction...

LOT767-300ER

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting DeltaOwnsAll (Reply 27):
Anyways, this is turning into a damn college thread or something...the biases are overwhelming. Everyone im sure has had different experiences with lexus/any other car company and has different ideas of each. I just dont get the overpriced toyota one though lol, are we saying that cars like the LS460 should be priced evenly with a Toyota Avalon?! It feels like people are just fishing for something that will piss off anyone that actually appreciates/owns Lexuses, but if anyone does indeed agree with that statement, I think itd be great to hear the justification Or any justification for the apparent interest in the outright stripping of the Lexus brand and ~50% price reduction...

I think that many people here can agree that Lexus cars are overpriced for what they are.

I cant say that for BMW or maybe even Audi.

Same goes for someone who pays $10k more to drive an Acura TSX...thats nice dude but all you have is a Euro Spec Accord. Let me rebadge your sticker and we will slap on $10k more and put little Eddie Bauer stitchings on your seats.

AirPacific747

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:27 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 26):
On another note, any Mercury looks more exciting than a Lexus ES series...what a horrible looking car.

The world is no longer... thats the SECOND time we agree today!!  Wow!

waterpolodan

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:26 am

The ES is one of othe ugliest entry-level luxury cars I've seen, and it apparently drives like a camry, which is to say- lightyears away from sporty. The IS may have numbers that make it seem competitive, but if you have driven the latest IS back to back with a new 3 series BMW, you will realize that it just lacks the feel and excitment of a proper sports sedan. The LS is surely a great luxury ride with some interesting technology, but in general I have to say that if I were going out to buy one of the upmarket japanese brands, I would choose Infiniti, which I just did, in fact- replaced the 350Z with a G35 sedan. The new M45 is a much better looking car than the GS, IMO, and there is no contest between the G35 and the IS350 in terms of looks as well as driving character.

Charger

Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:07 am

the biases are overwhelming.

I can't speak for everyone on here but I do own a Lexus ES. My wife drives it every day. So how do you call someone who actually owns a Lexus biased?
What exactly do you drive that gives you the idea that you can dismiss others knowledgeable opinions?

I just dont get the overpriced toyota one though lol,

Why don't you go look at a Toyota Camry XLE MSRP $27,440 and then go look at a Lexus ES350 MSRP $34885. It is the same car. It has the same engine, same transmission, same leather interior. The only difference is a slightly different grille and taillights. The Lexus also has a power passenger seat and a slightly better stereo. Is that worth an extra $7000 before taxes to you? It's not to me.

LS460 should be priced evenly with a Toyota Avalon?!

It feels like people are just fishing for something that will piss off anyone that actually appreciates/owns Lexuses

As I stated before I do own one, and I do feel it is an overpriced glorified Toyota. Again what do you drive that gives you the idea that you can dismiss other's knowledgeable opinions.

outright stripping of the Lexus brand

Stripping it of what? If you think that Lexus is in the same catagory as BMW, Mercedes or Audi, I think your mistaken.

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 30):
The ES is one of othe ugliest entry-level luxury cars I've seen, and it apparently drives like a camry

That's because it is nothing more than a rebadged Camry.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 26):
The LS pwns all other cars when you have to parallel park automatically

Ah Yes, the new LS parallel parks itself now. The ultimate car for the person who is to lazy to turn the wheel or to dumb to know how to. Big grin

Birdwatching

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:18 am

It's beyond me how people can be enthusiasts of a car that blatantly imitates Mercedes to make the owners feel like they own a luxury car when they don't. Is it so hard to come up with a unique design?

How much more obvious can it get?

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

AirPacific747

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:19 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 32):
How much more obvious can it get?

Exactly!!! That's what I have been saying for such a long time! Thanks for helping me out!! It's a ripoff of Mercedes-Benz!

AirPacific747

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:22 am

Another example:

http://www.autobellausa.com/images/cars/mercedes_e55.jpg

deltaownsall

Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting Charger (Reply 31):
As I stated before I do own one, and I do feel it is an overpriced glorified Toyota. Again what do you drive that gives you the idea that you can dismiss other's knowledgeable opinions.

I simply have a differing opinion. I happen to feel that Lexus is not an overpriced Toyota...Im arguing the other side of your coin. What I drive (an is350) makes no difference...but I do love my car. The truth about Lexus vs. the german companies in my opinion? I would take a 335i coupe over my car anyday, the same goes for an audi s4. However, the 335 would run at least $5k more than my car, and the s4 considerably more still. These three cars are all quite comparable, and the Lexus is easily the most affordable. Lacking style and even feel are two arguments against Lexus that I can certainly understand, but I have yet to comprehend the overpriced argument...

And as a disclaimer, I thought I had already mentioned this but I guess I didnt...I really dont like the ES class (although the current one is a solid upgrade). So on that note I guess I agree with quite a few people, lol.

Chi-town

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:19 am

MERCEDES BENZ ALL THE WAY!!!!

AirPacific747

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting Chi-town (Reply 36):
MERCEDES BENZ ALL THE WAY!!!!

YAY!!!! Big grin Big grin Big grin

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

AirPacific747

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:51 am

And just to show how awesome mercedes is:

deltaownsall

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:11 am

lol what the hell?

and that comparison between the old gs-series and the e-class is just outrageous. For starters...the old model gs was out for years before the current e-class debuted! Are you making a statement on the color gray? holy hell... And the s-class compared to the LS? ill be the first to say that the ls is a considerably more boring and less stylish car than the old s-class (which i loved), and i see very little if any resemblance at all... oh well, this thread has been hijacked to oblivion anyways, might as well put it out of its misery before some domestic vs. import argument gets raging.

AirPacific747

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:52 am

Quoting DeltaOwnsAll (Reply 39):
and that comparison between the old gs-series and the e-class is just outrageous. For starters...the old model gs was out for years before the current e-class debuted!

Well for before starters:

Does this model ring a bell?
http://www.thhe.dk/biler/Mercedes_E-Class-1024.jpg

Quoting DeltaOwnsAll (Reply 39):
and i see very little if any resemblance at all... oh well, this thread has been hijacked to oblivion anyways, might as well put it out of its misery before some domestic vs. import argument gets raging.

Then you must be blind.

Birdwatching

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:55 am

I don't know what the whole enthusiasm is all about. It's an immitation, for crying out loud! It's like being in the fan club of Panaphonic TVs or owning an iPad.

Buying a Lexus to pretend that you own a Merc when you can't afford a real one, that's so... uh, I can't even find a word.

Cue the Lexus cheerleaders.

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

AirPacific747

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:58 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 41):
Buying a Lexus to pretend that you own a Merc when you can't afford a real one, that's so... uh, I can't even find a word.

Cue the Lexus cheerleaders.

bigthumbsup  I'd add you to my RU list again if I could  Smile

deltaownsall

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:35 am

blind? jesus, i was responding to the picture you posted earlier. I cant see into the future for chrissake. alas, its always good fun to take things (waaay) out of context, as has been done countless times at this point.

as for people that own lexus not being able to afford merc, lol~~~

jcs17

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:04 pm

I have a '95 Lexus SC300 with 110,000 miles. It still drives like it's brand new, but recently, the a/c has crapped out and the radio is having difficulty. I don't exactly need the a/c now, but the radio trouble is really ticking me off. I'm actually rather annoyed, I love the reliability of Japanese cars, but the damn a/c and the radio needing to be fixed at 110k? I'd expect that out of an American shitbox (which is pretty much all brands of American cars), but not a Japanese car.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Shinkai
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:46 pm

you know, on the first day i signed up to a.net, i started a thread on Civil aviation asking "How is Singapore Airlines an industry leader" when they weren't even the first to introduce products like PTVs, Full Flat bed in business class etc etc..

the kind of answers i got from the over 100 replies is that SIA "copied" the other airlines and IMPROVED IT and are able to make consistent profits, hence making them a leader..

sounds like what lexus is doing isn't it? lexus perhaps isn't the first to introduce auto parallel parking or this or that, but the fact that they are able to take it and make it their own and improve it, makes them a leader!

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 41):

if one can afford a lexus, one sure as hell have the money to buy a merc!!

but then again, i love lexus and merc almost equally so i'm not gonna take sides.. in fact i love the A8, S350, 740Li and LS 600h so much that i don't know which one to choose when i have the money to buy either one of them in a few years  Smile

anyway Lexus now have their own L-finess looks so it won't be copying anyone, in terms of looks, for now..

but you gotta admit the new S class looks like a frog! and when the LS was driving past the streets the other day, everyone turned their heads to look at it and went "WOW ITS SO BEAUTIFUL!"

i love the looks of the new CL500 too i wish to see one in person..

AirPacific747

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:44 pm

Quoting DeltaOwnsAll (Reply 43):

You don't need to look into the future. Just look at the old E-class then the Lexus. It doesn't take much time to realise that Lexus stole the design from Mercedes.

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 45):

sounds like what lexus is doing isn't it? lexus perhaps isn't the first to introduce auto parallel parking or this or that, but the fact that they are able to take it and make it their own and improve it, makes them a leader!

No that makes them a follower.

str8fromthe808

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:35 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 33):
Exactly!!! That's what I have been saying for such a long time! Thanks for helping me out!! It's a ripoff of Mercedes-Benz!

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 32):
It's beyond me how people can be enthusiasts of a car that blatantly imitates Mercedes to make the owners feel like they own a luxury car when they don't. Is it so hard to come up with a unique design?

well that's been well documented and yes, it is obvious. i don't think anyone really drools over a lex the way they would an mb or an audi etc...i think makes such as those sell on more emotional points wheras lexus captures a more practical buyer, one who seeks reliability, quality, etc...i personally don't like lexus/toyota cars as they seem very clinical to me but, their build quality is excellent and for most drivers who don't care / know much about cars, that seems attractive...

Quoting Charger (Reply 31):
Why don't you go look at a Toyota Camry XLE MSRP $27,440 and then go look at a Lexus ES350 MSRP $34885. It is the same car. It has the same engine, same transmission, same leather interior. The only difference is a slightly different grille and taillights. The Lexus also has a power passenger seat and a slightly better stereo. Is that worth an extra $7000 before taxes to you? It's not to me.

well and you get the lexus name, for thousands less than an equivalent C class, 3 series etc. lexus wins on the economies of scale that having a shared platform provides, the compromises are that the vehicle is fwd, etc etc, however, the sheetmetal is unique, the interiors are significantly upgraded on the lex, and the dealer service, treatment, warranties, etc, are all superior, so is that worth it? for 90k people a year, yes.

i mean, i have an e46 330i SP, PP, 6spd, with an e90 335i SP,PP, 6spd on order Big grin  Big grin, would i buy an is350, hell no. to me the way the bimmer just feels is worth the 6k difference...but for some people, like my younger brother, it's not, and he took the is350...and i must say even before receiving my car i already know that his interior is of better quality, the stereo is better, and the car itself is more refined etc etc...i think for the avg person, that comes off as more impressive, but for the enthusiast...well you know the answer...
it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness...chinese proverb

Queso

Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 45):
you know, on the first day i signed up to a.net, i started a thread on Civil aviation asking "How is Singapore Airlines an industry leader" when they weren't even the first to introduce products like PTVs, Full Flat bed in business class etc etc..

the kind of answers i got from the over 100 replies is that SIA "copied" the other airlines and IMPROVED IT and are able to make consistent profits, hence making them a leader..

sounds like what lexus is doing isn't it?

Sounds like what some people do with their accounts on A.net, too.

Shinkai
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:13 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 48):
Sounds like what some people do with their accounts on A.net, too.

tell me about it!