AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Will You Say "Merry Christmas"?

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:14 am

Wal-Mart will be saying "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays" to its customers, according to a recent CNN report.

Please see:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/09/news...panies/walmart_christmas/index.htm

In this internationalized world, and with all the jetsetters that we see on this Website, I wonder whether many people are prone to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" in Christendom anymore.

Thanks for your considered answers.
What's fair is fair.

aerobalance

RE: Will You Say "Merry Christmas"?

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:15 am

I'll probably say both - I'll keep in consideration who I'm telling it to.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:17 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 1):
I'll probably say both - I'll keep in consideration who I'm telling it to.

Good advice.

I've tended toward saying "Happy Holidays" when I know that the person I'm speaking to may not be Christian.
What's fair is fair.

vaporlock

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:19 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):
"Merry Christmas"

Trust me I will be saying "MERRY CHRISTMAS"!! Even though we live in a "internationalized world"....here in Canada it is definately "MERRY CHRISTMAS" for us Canucks!!!

Hey, I don't care who comes to Canada to live...and it doesn't matter where they come from I'm sure as hell not changing my "CUSTOMS". If they don't like it....they can go home....

Just my  twocents 

Phyllis  bouncy 

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 3):
Trust me I will be saying "MERRY CHRISTMAS"!! Even though we live in a "internationalized world"....here in Canada it is definately "MERRY CHRISTMAS" for us Canucks!!!

I guess I am just a bit more accommodating -- or, perhaps, less sure. If I see someone in a sari (a traditional Indian dress) at an Indian restaurant, I'm not likely to say "Merry Christmas". (Note: This doesn't mean that they have to be Christian, but it seems to me that if they are traditionalist, there is some indication that they may not be Christian.) This is with due regard to the possibility that they may be from India, for example, which is not a Christian country.

However, if I see someone who appears to be Indian, but who is wearing Western clothes, I would have no sure way of telling whether he or she is a Christian, so I would probably go with "Merry Christmas" by default.

I would also probably add, "Happy New Year", since that's fairly standard.

I have no problem with Wal-Mart changing back to "Merry Christmas", and in fact I would say that, as a corporate policy, it's a good one.

[Edited 2006-11-10 00:32:44]
What's fair is fair.

yooyoo

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:48 am

Same here.

If another person greets me with their holiday/religeous greeting, whatever that may be, i will smile and accept that greeting and be grateful that somebody wished/blessed (whatever) me something and not be bitter about it. Ridiculous.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Mir

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:56 am

I could spend time debating whether I should say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays", and whether I would offend people with one or the other, but then again, I have more important things to do than worry about minutia.

I think I'll just be happy with whatever comes out of my mouth. If somebody is seriously offended, I'll be happy to correct myself.

Oh, and to the people who get upset over people saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", or vice versa, you really need to get over it. If that's the biggest worry in your life, you are damn lucky.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Braybuddy

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:00 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 4):
I guess I am just a bit more accommodating -- or, perhaps, less sure. If I see someone in a sari (a traditional Indian dress) at an Indian restaurant, I'm not likely to say "Merry Christmas". (Note: This doesn't mean that they have to be Christian, but it seems to me that if they are traditionalist, there is some indication that they may not be Christian.) This is with due regard to the possibility that they may be from India, for example, which is not a Christian country.

Why do people have to spoil Christmas by bringing religion into it?

mdsh00

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:18 am

I'm not Christian and I will say Merry Christmas to people, and will say it back if someone says it to me. There's more important things in this world to get pissed off about than people saying "Merry Christmas."
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

TLG

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:34 am

I am a Christian so obviously I am not offended by "Merry Christmas." In fact, the last couple years I made it a point to say "Merry Christmas" to store employees and other I met and I believe every single time it was said back to me. I don't think as many people are offended by it as we are made to believe. I mean, it IS Christmas, whether a person likes it or not! If someone doesn't want to experience Christmas, they can try doing like the characters in John Grisham's "Skipping Christmas." I'm glad to see Wal-Mart and Macy's making the decision to use "Merry Christmas!"

-TLG

vaporlock

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:40 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 4):
This is with due regard to the possibility that they may be from India, for example, which is not a Christian country. I guess I am just a bit more accommodating

Well, it really doesn't matter to me if they are Christian or not....it is Christmas....and I really don't feel that it should offend anyone if I say 'MERRY CHRISTMAS'...it is a festive time of year in North America....and if they don't like it..well, I guess it's their problem. Good God I hope life isn't getting that complicated that I have to think about things I say to people who dress differently or come from another country....that will be a very sad day.

As mentioned by Mir...I really don't have the time/nor do I care if I offend anyone. I think it's great that "Toronto" is one of the largest multi-cultural cities in the world....but this is Canada and here we celebrate Christmas.....like BrayBuddy said....leave religion out of it!!!  yes 

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 5):
If another person greets me with their holiday/religeous greeting, whatever that may be, i will smile and accept that greeting and be grateful that somebody wished/blessed (whatever) me something and not be bitter about it.

I'm with you.....YooYoo...that's the problem with society today, there are too many people that get "bitter" over stupid things.

Phyllis  bouncy 

baylorairbear

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:42 am

I'll say it. I have religion, but Christmas has never been about celebrating Christ, to me. It's been about getting stuff. I'm at the point thought, that, when I want something, I go out and buy it. If I asked someone else for the things I wanted, I'd never get them, anyway.

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

WhyWhyZed

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 10):

I absolutely agree with both of you. I guess thats why i've respected both of you for quite awhile!  Smile

- Jason DePodesta

A332

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:55 am

I will say "Bah F*ckin' Humbug"... like every Christmas...  Wink

Forget the PC nonsense... forget 'Happy Holidays'... I have always been a fan of "Shove It!"...

Wink
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

andessmf

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:59 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 11):
I'll say it. I have religion, but Christmas has never been about celebrating Christ, to me. It's been about getting stuff. I'm at the point thought, that, when I want something, I go out and buy it. If I asked someone else for the things I wanted, I'd never get them, anyway.

It all depends on what you want to celebrate a Christmas time. Whether you want to make it a religious holiday or not its OK. To me, is a chance to make a special day for whatever, getting a special present, going to see some typical plays, spending time with your family, etc.

And now BABs, arent you old enough now to get your own stuff? Cause if I want something big, I'll get it whenever, or wait for the Xmas bonus to do so.

PlymSpotter

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:59 am

I'm a little lost, but I gather saying Merry Christmas in the US is not all that common? Here in the UK, its entirely normal, along with Happy Christmas, so I guess I shall be saying it a fair bit in the coming months Big grin

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

NeilYYZ

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:02 am

It's Merry Christmas for me, I don't care for that PC Happy Holidays crap, if someone wants to say Happy Kwanza to me that's fine, if that's what they celebrate.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

baylorairbear

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:07 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 14):
And now BABs, arent you old enough now to get your own stuff? Cause if I want something big, I'll get it whenever, or wait for the Xmas bonus to do so.

Absolutely. That's exactly what I do. I have neither the patience, nor the time, to sit around waiting for a new toy.

As you mentioned, holidays, for me, are all about seeing the family. This Christmas is going to be the last time I see my family for a long, long time, so I'm going to make the most of it. Fortunately, my birthday is Dec. 26, so I'll be loading up on things I need for my move, mainly money!

BAB Big grin
I'm just skipping stones...

andessmf

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:12 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 17):
This Christmas is going to be the last time I see my family for a long, long time, so I'm going to make the most of it.

Good, I hope your move does well for you.

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 17):
As you mentioned, holidays, for me, are all about seeing the family.

That is true for most of the world now. The added fun of the holidays for me is that the children really enjoy them, and you can always watch them squirm as they beg and wait for their presents.

Me, I have the pleasure to say that Jr.'s presents will be arriving at my office soon, and I get to enjoy them when he opens them; The new Lego holiday train and the BNSF locomotive.

searpqx

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:15 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 15):
I'm a little lost, but I gather saying Merry Christmas in the US is not all that common?

Its entirely normal. Yes, there were/are some overly PC groups that have urged the use of a generic 'Happy Holidays', etc., but I'd guesstimate that 99.9% of those that celebrate Christmas, say "Merry Christmas". Most of the 'Assault on Christmas' last year was over blown hype by the likes of O'Reily and similar.

And for the record, I'm an agnostic, and I still say Merry Christmas. I have no intention of changing nor am I particularly concerned if the recipient is non-Christian. Any reasonable person understands what is meant by the term and won't take offense. The name of the holiday is Christmas, and while it may have originated when the Christians co-opted earlier mid-winter festivals and pageants, it long ago quit being solely a religious holiday.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

n229nw

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:27 am

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 10):
Good God I hope life isn't getting that complicated that I have to think about things I say to people who dress differently or come from another country....that will be a very sad day.

!?!?!? Why is it a "sad day" when people (God forbid) show consideration for others who are different from them? I'd say it's a happy day for common courtesy and equality.

-------------------

Anyway, I'm Jewish, but I say "Merry Christmas" when speaking to anyone whom I know or believe to be Christian. If they are Jewish I say "Happy Hanukah," etc. If I don't have any idea, I say "happy holidays"--and I can't possibly see how that could offend anyone.

Also, if the intention is friendly, I happily accept being wished a "Merry Christmas" or Eid, or Diwali, or any other holiday. I'm glad people are being friendly and I want to share in their goodwill. Life is too short to be offended.

I will say that if some idiot like Bill O'Reilly deliberately wishes merry Christmas to someone who is not Christian precisely because he believes he has the right to dictate what is the "most important" holiday, then I don't blame them for being offended. But then it isn't being friendly, it is forcing a political point about how you have the right to dominate a country's culture...
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:33 am

I probably won't think and just say "Merry Christmas" to everyone.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Jpax

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:40 am

Absolutely will be doing the same thing.

vaporlock

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:46 am

Quoting N229NW (Reply 20):
Why is it a "sad day" when people (God forbid) show consideration for others who are different from them? I'd say it's a happy day for common courtesy and equality.

It is a "sad day" because I refuse to "walk on broken glass" so to speak, when I wish someone a "Merry Christmas" it is because I wish them good cheer and not because I have had to stop, think, look at what they are wearing or if they look different than I do. If I had to do that to everyone I see or meet then I might as well just forget about saying anything. Why does it have to become so complicated....and don't even get into it about equality..it is about wishing people from all different backgrounds good cheer!

Phyllis  bouncy 

lowrider

Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:58 am

I will say "Merry Christmas" because that is what I am celebrating. If I know the other person is of another religion then I use the relevant holiday.
Proud OOTSK member

Confuscius

Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:00 am

Feliz Navidad
Ain't I a stinker?

NIKV69

Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:01 am

"Merry Christmas" for me.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

F9Animal

Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:22 am

I love Christmas. I enjoy having a tree, and tons of presents under it. I live in a free country, and I should be able to exercise my freedom of beliefs and religion as much as I want. If someone gets offended because I say, "Merry Christmas",,,,,,,,,, then I would tell them to kiss my ass. At least offend them the right way.

Thanks!!!!!!
I Am A Different Animal!!

ShakeZulaNJ

Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:32 am

I don't celebrate Christmas, but out of courtesy to others, I do wish them a merry Christmas, unless I know they are Jewish or some other religion. Otherwise it's Merry Christmas all round.

I think it's high time people just took some goodwill without taking offense. It's not the words that someone is saying, it's the thought that they are being kind and wishing you happiness. But, I guess some people would rather some people not wish them anything at all.
It's not bird strike, it's engine suck...

aa757first

Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:40 am

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, but I do like it when they do things like this.

When I say "merry Christmas", don't worry, it's not a code for "go to hell". It means "I hope you have a nice day on December 25." Since 85% of our country is Christian, we assume others celebrate Christmas. Just like in Israel, someone would probably wish you a happy Passover.

AAndrew

deltagator

Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:55 am

I always say Merry Christmas unless I know the person is Jewish and then I say Happy Hannukuh (sic?) Heck, even if they are Jewish I usually slip in a Merry Christmas and ask them if they will be putting any other colors on the Hannukuh Bush than blue and white. I also make sure to remind them to leave out some bagels and lox for Hannukuh Harry when he stops by on one of the 8 nights. That usually gets my Jewish friends laughing hard.

I refuse to acknowledge the Hallmark Cards made-up holiday of Kwanzaa and the Muslims don't have anything going on around that time so the first two take of business for me.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

photopilot

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:12 pm

Hey, I don't care who comes to Canada to live...and it doesn't matter where they come from I'm sure as hell not changing my "CUSTOMS". If they don't like it....they can go home....

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

yegmaster

Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:55 pm

By the sounds of it "Merry Christmas" is the winner.
And so it should be.
Cheers

TedTAce

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:01 pm

If I see a cross necklace, Merry Christmas; if not; Merry Jew Year!!

Seriously, I'm not big on wishing people happy whatever.. if they wish it to me, I'll return the favor, elsewise I'm just going to STFU.
This space intentionally left blank

767Lover

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:20 pm

I just returned from Manchester (UK). They had already started putting Christmas stuff up in town and in the stores, and I was kind of taken aback that everything said "Merry Christmas." They were even making Christmas (not "holiday," but "Christmas") cards at the printing display at the Museum of Science and Industry.

It didn't offend me at all -- I celebrate Christmas -- but after so many years of PC "generic-ized" holidays in the US, it really made an impression on me.

I told my British relatives about how in the US it is not correct to say Merry Christmas in a public fashion and they couldn't believe it.

[Edited 2006-11-10 05:20:42]

gunsontheroof

Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Quite honestly, I think this is one of the stupidest ongoing public debates in the U.S. I could care less how somebody expresses their desire for me to have an agreeable holiday season, and anyone who takes issue with being wished "happy holidays" instead of "merry christmas" (or vice-versa) should probably get f*cked. You might as well get pissed because someone wished you a nice day instead of a good afternoon.

trvyyz

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:08 pm

Even in India with only 2.4% Christians, I have not seen any problems wishing "Merry Christmas". I don't understand what's so wrong with it with some people over here.
Any way thanks for calling Christmas "Christmas".

deltagator

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:11 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 34):
I just returned from Manchester (UK). They had already started putting Christmas stuff up in town and in the stores

I'm on my way their Saturday night so I suppose that gives me free range to whistle and hum Christmas songs while there and not get yelled at by the wife (she hates it when I sing White Christmas in June.) I know the Brits don't do the Thanksgiving thing but it drives me bonkers when folks start putting up Christmas stuff in late October/early November. That said...Merry Early Christmas!
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

L-188

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:14 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 16):
It's Merry Christmas for me, I don't care for that PC Happy Holidays crap, if someone wants to say Happy Kwanza to me that's fine, if that's what they celebrate.

Agreed, although I will be sticking with "Happy Festuvus!!!"

We will now air our greviences by the Fustuvus Pole!
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

BMIFlyer

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:18 pm

Yes Big grin

But, i'll be spending it alone  cry 

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Halcyon

Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:59 pm

Merry Christmas. I don't become insulted when other tell me Happy High Holidays or Happy whatever when it's whatever time of year in whatever religion. Hmm. That was an excellent overuse of the word "whatever" if I do say so myself!

lucas

Jayce

Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:39 pm

Vaporlock, I agree with everything you've said.

I'll be saying Merry Christmas. This is Canada and we celebrate Christmas. If you move to a country and they celebrate a holiday, then you should accept it and respect it. If you don't like it, then go back home.

I wouldn't be offended in the least if I moved to Israel and people wished me a Happy Chanukah.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

Toulouse

Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:39 pm

Same here.

If another person greets me with their holiday/religeous greeting, whatever that may be, i will smile and accept that greeting and be grateful that somebody wished/blessed (whatever) me something and not be bitter about it.

Very well put.

I mean let's face it, what's is the real difference between saying "Merry Christmas" or "Happy holidays" when the holiday being celebrated is Christmas!

So may you all be the first I respectfully wish a very Merry Christmas this year!

Merry Christmas all!
Long live Aer Lingus!

vc10

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:31 pm

Surely saying "happy holidays" is not acceptable as the word Holiday is derived from Holy Day , so no, no, no, that would never do.  biggrin 

littlevc10

TransIsland

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:41 pm

I really couldn't care less. I'm an atheist and I'm not offended if I hear "Merry Christmas."

To me Christmas and other symbols of Christianity represent custom and tradition of the world I grew up in more than religion. So, when cursing, I - the atheist - often use one biblical character or another...  Wink
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

skidmarks

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:48 pm

Quoting A332 (Reply 13):
I will say "Bah F*ckin' Humbug"... like every Christmas...

Me too, but if I'm forced into being nice or jolly (heaven forbid) I'll say Merry Christmas. Happy Holidays is pure PC twaddle. I also will not use the word (for want of a better description) Xmas. Whoever thought that up needs their arse kicking. I'm not remotely religious but that is just taking the piss. Simply some prat who can't be bothered to spell correctly.

Christmas is Christmas so remember that!! Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

melpax

Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:52 pm

None of this 'Happy Holidays' stuff here in Oz - it's always been Merry Christmas, and guess what, no one's offended. Christmas is the start of the summer holdays here, things are generally quiet business wise until the end of January.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 34):
just returned from Manchester (UK). They had already started putting Christmas stuff up in town and in the stores, and I was kind of taken aback that everything said "Merry Christmas." They were even making Christmas (not "holiday," but "Christmas") cards at the printing display at the Museum of Science and Industry.

Most malls & big department stores here have had decorations up for the past couple of weeks - most of the big stores start selling their Christmas stuff in late September/early October
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:34 pm

Clearly. Christmas is Christmas, so unless I am talking to someone who is Jewish or Muslim, I will say Merry Christmas. I will say Happy Chanukah if they are Jewish. But as far as I'm concerned it's Christmas, not the Festive Season or the Holidays or any other such vapid euphemism.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting TransIsland (Reply 44):
I really couldn't care less. I'm an atheist and I'm not offended if I hear "Merry Christmas."

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 42):
So may you all be the first I respectfully wish a very Merry Christmas this year!

Merry Christmas all!

Merry Christmas to you, as well!

Comments such as the above, and indeed all of the comments in this thread, are refreshing and delightful to read. Thank you to all.
What's fair is fair.

IFEMaster

Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:17 am

Merry Crimbo. Just to be different.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978