Springbok747
Topic Author

Bloody Hell, The Ad Failed

Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:46 am

Quote:
THE controversial "Where the bloody hell are you" campaign has failed to boost tourist visits to Australia, a backpacker industry conference was told.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,23483,20734249-27977,00.html

Bloody oath!  Wink
אני תומך בישראל

QANTASforever

RE: Bloody Hell, The Ad Failed

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:21 pm

I could have told you this would have happened the minute it came on the air.

It was short-sighted, jingoistic and made us out to be a complete pack of simpletons.

If we want to increase tourism to Australia we have to offer something new, i.e.: we need to start showing foreigners what Australia is *really* like, sans Crocodile Dundee. By parading around these tired, offensive, and pathetic stereotypes then we're reinforcing to people in other countries that Australia has nothing new to offer (at least nothing they couldn't already get from watching Discovery Channel).

Further proof this federal government is crap. Roll on 2007.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

oli80

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:34 pm

Hot chicks in bikinis would do it for me!  Wink

PlymSpotter

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:58 pm

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 2):
Hot chicks in bikinis would do it for me!

That's what the last ad had, but it still didn't seem to have the desired affect. I didn't mind it, but there was certainly something lacking, it seemed to flit about a lot.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

willo

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:32 pm

The travel press in the UK have attributed most of the fall off in "budget" travellers to Australia (from the UK at least), to the huge hike in fuel surcharges on long haul flights.

ltbewr

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:58 pm

One problem is that the term 'bloody' is a rude term in many parts of the British English world (not in the USA/Canada) and may have turned people off to those commercials.
One has to wonder if Australia really want the 'backpackers' anyway as opposed to more upscale travelers, who will stay in the better hotels vs. hostels, eat at fine resturants vs. cheap eat places and more likely rent cars, take boat tours and so on. In other words, that they want bigger spenders than the Backpackers.
Then there is the high price to go there from Europe and the Americas. The return airfare price to go to Australia is at least $1200 from LAX, and I assume that it is more than that from the UK to there. That may keep out many backpacker class travelers.

MYT332

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:13 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 1):
and made us out to be a complete pack of simpletons.

Aren't you though?

reinforcing to people in other countries that Australia has nothing new to offer (at least nothing they couldn't already get from watching Discovery Channel).

There isn't bloody much there though is there! Beer, beaches and animals that tend to kill you not to mention it's a bloody long way to go just for that! I'll stick to Europe with our rich cultural past thank you.  Wink
One Life, Live it.

oli80

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 5):
The return airfare price to go to Australia is at least $1200 from LAX, and I assume that it is more than that from the UK to there

I think the air fare is a little more, but not much.

Whilst price is obviously a big issue, I think the other issue is travel time. I, for example, am reluctant to take more than around 10 day holidays at a time as I feel it eats too much into my annual leave. If I do take a 10 day holiday, I don't want to spend several days travelling to and from my destination and several days adjusting to the time difference.

The other major consideration for me, is that Ski trips aside, I like to relax on holiday, and more importantly, I like to feel refreshed when I get back to work. Travelling for 20h+ and then dealing with severe jet lag as well as being back in the office is not my idea of being refreshed.

I also think that you have to ask yourself what Australia has to offer to a tourist that Europe doesn't have. Sure, if you're moving to Australia it is a different story (personal space, prices, sport etc), but to go out there for 10 days/2 weeks.

You have the cities, which are just that, cities, like any other in the world. Beaches, we have those too. Museums, yup, have those. Diverse culture, have that too.

Now don't get the idea that I don't like Australia, because that is just not true. I would love to spend several years living there. I'm just trying to offer some possible answers as to why tourism is lacking in your part of the world.

Oh yes, you also have New Zealand next door, and from what I've seen on the TV, it seems to have natural beauty that most places can only dream about. Next time I'm heading down under, it will more likely be to New Zealand than Australia.

[Edited 2006-11-15 15:17:40]

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:26 pm

I liked it personally.

I reckon a 30 second slow-mo full screen high-def video of Wunala and Nalanji dreaming flying past would do it for me.

Add a hot bikini-clad Aussie (who you know puts out and drinks like a fish) and i think you would do well.

Id be in the queue put it that way. Big grin
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

sv2008

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:53 am

I want to go to Austrailia in the next year to go diving, the main problem is not so much cost but the 22hr flight in economy.

Tickets can be bought for about £650 (typically £850 though).

Mir

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:48 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 5):
One problem is that the term 'bloody' is a rude term in many parts of the British English world (not in the USA/Canada)

Well, the word "hell" is a rude term in many parts of the USA and Canada, so I wouldn't say that they forgot about us.  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

QANTASforever

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:59 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 6):
Aren't you though?

I'd tell you where you could stick it, but we're far more cultured than you English hooligans.

Can I just ask though - why do you do this to Australia? Would you do it to the Chinese, America, or Japan? What about India, or South Africa or Canada? Do we have some special category that allows you to completely ridicule everything about us? Are your people that ugly that you would do that?

So much for "culture".

There isn't bloody much there though is there! Beer, beaches and animals that tend to kill you not to mention it's a bloody long way to go just for that! I'll stick to Europe with our rich cultural past thank you.

Of course, that's the Australia we show you - we keep the good stuff for ourselves because you English do love a good boozy rampage. We confine you to the Rocks in Sydney, give you a pint of guiness and get you singing - you reconfirm in our minds how disgusting your "nation" is, and we get to enjoy the finer things away from your radioactive sunburn and warm beer.

The fact is - you had an 800 year head start on us, and look where we are. We have nothing to feel ashamed of. In fact, I pity you.

QFF

Banco

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:28 pm

I could have told you this would have happened the minute it came on the air.

There are a lot more things to take into account than a single ad campaign. Fuel surcharges have made a bit dent in Australian tourism over the last year as well.

If we want to increase tourism to Australia we have to offer something new, i.e.: we need to start showing foreigners what Australia is *really* like, sans Crocodile Dundee. By parading around these tired, offensive, and pathetic stereotypes then we're reinforcing to people in other countries that Australia has nothing new to offer (at least nothing they couldn't already get from watching Discovery Channel).

That depends on the market. For the mature markets, yes, Australia needs to widen the level of appeal beyond the stereotype, but for the newer markets, such as in Asia, Australia has to get people to visit in the first place, before they can start to educate them about what Australia really has to offer beyond the traditional Reef, Rock and Ropera House type visit. You can point out the beauties of the south west coast around Bunker Bay to (for example) the British market, but try that with Malaysia and it just won't work at this stage.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Shinkai

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:39 pm

i want to go to australia, see.. but i only have a choice of QF and UA, see.. if only they had allowed you-know-who-airline to fly between the US and Australia.. it might have been much cheaper for me to fly to Australia, see..

cheeky 
please relax, enjoy your flight... Good Luck!!

kiwiinoz

Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:49 pm

I think if Australia tried to diversify and promote itself as a destination rich in culture, heritage, arts etc the poms and Europeans would piss themselves laughing.

Those, "value adds": are simply that in a tourism sense. Australia is a place to visit to enjoy the laid back, easy going Aussie approach, with hot sausages and hot men/women on beaches, (something lacking in England at least). The focus still needs to be on these stereotypes, but maybe a sprinkling of variety can be worked in.

Having said that, I also felt the ad would fail. I think the idea was right, but the delivery was wrong. In particular, Asian markets have had a hard time connecting with this.

VHVXB

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:28 pm

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 13):
it might have been much cheaper for me to fly to Australia, see..

who said it would have been cheaper? You don'thave to fly direct to get to Australia.

Banco

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:30 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 14):
I think if Australia tried to diversify and promote itself as a destination rich in culture, heritage, arts etc the poms and Europeans would piss themselves laughing.

No, I don't agree with that. The thing is, for first time visitors, the stereotypical Australia is what draws them in, but for the British (and the British are by far the largest long haul market), they tend not to visit a single time, they come back. So what lures them in the second, third and fourth times? First time they come, it's often VFR or lifetime-style holidays, but when they come back (and they do) they're looking for something a bit different. So having done the usual hotspots, they head out to other cities, or into the Bush, or do driving holidays between say, Brisbane and Sydney - none of which would be on the agenda for a first time visit.

That's why the classic laid-back Aussie approach works in those newer markets; before you can get them to experience the "real" Australia, you have to get them to visit in the first place. It's no different to us in the UK promoting the country as Palace, Parliament and Beefeaters. It's not the real Britain, but it is the reason first-time visitors come here.

Springbok747
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:36 pm

Quoting Shinkai (Reply 13):
if only they had allowed you-know-who-airline to fly between the US and Australia..

Hmmm that airline would have been more expensive than QF or UA.

In any case, you can always fly other routes, you don't have to fly direct.
אני תומך בישראל

QANTASforever

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:24 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 14):

Excuse me? It's not like I'm suggesting we invent something and fraudulently present it as fact to the British market. We have extraordinary cultural exploits to offer travellers, and we have a unique and fascinating history stretching back tens of thousands of years. If we confound expectations, then we'll draw people in.

If Dubai had simply always marketed itself as a little oil-rich, boozeless desert enclave by the sea, it would never have become what it has. It rebranded itself and is reaping the benefits. We need to do this also.

Quoting Banco (Reply 16):
No, I don't agree with that.

Thank you!

QFF

kiwiinoz

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 18):
Excuse me? It's not like I'm suggesting we invent something and fraudulently present it as fact to the British market. We have extraordinary cultural exploits to offer travellers, and we have a unique and fascinating history stretching back tens of thousands of years. If we confound expectations, then we'll draw people in.

What I'm saying is that to promote Australia as a cultural destination to Europeans will result in them being about as dissapointed as Aussie srfers would be if the NZ tourism board was to try and attract them to Shirley beach in Christchurch. Sure, it's a beach, and it's got surf, but really doesn't compare to what they have at home.

Dubai did re-invent itself as a destination. It wasn't just a case of re-branding or changing an advertising strategy.

QANTASforever

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:33 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 19):
What I'm saying is that to promote Australia as a cultural destination to Europeans will result in them being about as dissapointed as Aussie srfers would be if the NZ tourism board was to try and attract them to Shirley beach in Christchurch.

No, thats not an appropriate analogy.

For Australia to brand itself as a cultural destination would not be to make something up or to fraudulently over-emphasise something, it would be an accurate representation. We have an extremely rich literary, artistic, and academic history. The fact you can't see that proves to me that we should highlight this to the people of the world. The artistic exploits of Europe are no better than ours, they are simply different. To argue otherwise is to buy into the domineering crap the occident has been spewing out for centuries. Rise above it, my antipodean cousin.

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 19):
It wasn't just a case of re-branding or changing an advertising strategy.

I know that. In Australia's case, it would be a case of changing the branding to reflect reality. We're being short changed by the way we're being advertised. I think we should try harder.

QFF

Banco

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:54 am

If Dubai had simply always marketed itself as a little oil-rich, boozeless desert enclave by the sea, it would never have become what it has

Er. Except that Dubai is a boozeless desert enclave by the sea. And not especially oil rich, either. They went down the tourism route because they actually didn't have that much choice. It's impressive, but they've built a market that wasn't previously there.

The difference between somewhere like Dubai, where they've built on very little, and Australia is that Australia has

extraordinary cultural exploits to offer travellers, and [...] a unique and fascinating history stretching back tens of thousands of years.

The Middle East generally has this in spades. Dubai itself? Not really.

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 20):
The fact you can't see that proves to me that we should highlight this to the people of the world.

Yes, you should, but going back to the original point of the thread, first you have to get them there. And if that means exploiting the stereotype, then I don't think that's a bad thing. Marketing is only ever distantly related to reality.

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 21):
Except that Dubai is a boozeless desert enclave by the sea

Boozeless ? Hardly. Booze a-plenty, when I was there in April. Buckets of it. No indigenous culture to speak of, no inherent "Arab-ness" except round the old souks, and that's just a tourist trap now. Otherwise, just new buildings, busy highways, shiny new cars, and malls. It could be anywhere, really.

I'll stick to Europe with our rich cultural past thank you

Yersss, like you'd know a Miro from a hole in the ground, you cultural desert you !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Banco

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 22):
Boozeless ? Hardly. Booze a-plenty, when I was there in April. Buckets of it. No indigenous culture to speak of, no inherent "Arab-ness" except round the old souks, and that's just a tourist trap now. Otherwise, just new buildings, busy highways, shiny new cars, and malls. It could be anywhere, really.

In the hotels, yes, I'll grant you that. The rest I concur entirely.

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:18 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 23):
In the hotels, yes, I'll grant you that. The rest I concur entirely

Not just hotels, we went to bars at the Creek, restaurants - even on our evening in the desert with the Bedouin (hookah pipes and all !) there was enough vodka and tonic to float Cornish !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Banco

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 24):
Not just hotels, we went to bars at the Creek, restaurants

Really? It's changed a bit since I was last there then. At that time I couldn't get a drink anywhere away from the hotels.

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 24):
there was enough vodka and tonic to float Cornish

He's mainly gas. It's not as unlikely as it might seem.

QANTASforever

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 21):
And if that means exploiting the stereotype, then I don't think that's a bad thing.

My feeling is that the stereotype doesn't work anymore. It probably did in the 1980s when Japanese and British tourism to Australia was HUGE, but people are tired of it. A theme park will eventually lose visitors if it doesn't get any new rides and sticks to dated branding. We need to update the entire image to reflect the fact that *we* have updated ourselves continuously as a country.

I'm aware that there are other factors here that can confound the result (fuel surcharges), but my "truthi" feeling about all this is that our false international image has a lot to do with it.

Boozeless ? Hardly. Booze a-plenty, when I was there in April. Buckets of it.

Well, I was talking about how things were YEARS ago before Dubai took off.

I hardly think you'd have been able to buy a case of beer from the local 7/11 in the '70s.

QFF

Springbok747
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:46 am

and that's just a tourist trap now.

Hmm..sounds a lot like Singapore..an overpriced tourist trap.
אני תומך בישראל

Banco

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:57 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 26):
It probably did in the 1980s when Japanese and British tourism to Australia was HUGE, but people are tired of it.

British tourism to Australia is way above 1980s levels.

And yes, to some degree you're right. But that's what I mean about the mature and the new markets. The new markets need that kind of basic approach, the mature ones not so much. But I would hesitate to put any blame on a marketing campaign for a perceived shortfall in tourism; there are far too many other issues in play. In the UK, the "Where the bloody hell are you?" ads got press coverage, something I don't remember an Australian campaign getting before.

Terrorism threats, fuel surcharges, the World Cup. All these things impact spend, especially for such a far flung destination. A marketing campaign? Mmm. I have my doubts. It's a good stick for the politicians to beat the tourism authority over the head with, but I'm not sure it's much more than that.

QANTASforever

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:36 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 28):
especially for such a far flung destination.

Yeah, you guys in Europe are at the ends of the earth. It's so incovenient. If only the earth was a sphere - it would equalise things a little.

Quoting Banco (Reply 28):
It's a good stick for the politicians to beat the tourism authority over the head with, but I'm not sure it's much more than that.

Don't count on it, the feral government was heavily involved with this one. Says a lot about them.

QFF

Banco

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:46 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 29):
Yeah, you guys in Europe are at the ends of the earth. It's so incovenient. If only the earth was a sphere - it would equalise things a little.

If you think for a moment, rather than just bridling, you would see what I mean. If someone is going to Australia, then they are explicitly going to Australia. They aren't transiting in the way that they are if they travel over Europe or south-east Asia. What that means is that Australia can't pick up business from those who are going on elsewhere in the same way that much of the rest of the world can, because it's remote from so many places. You use Europe as the example: Well, it's easy to think of an itinerary for an Australian taking in France, Germany and the UK, spending a few days in each and then going on, say, to the US. In reverse, you only really have New Zealand, and perhaps Fiji. Australia is the end destination in the vast majority of cases.

VHVXB

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:21 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 29):
Don't count on it, the feral government was heavily involved with this one. Says a lot about them.

QFF

Indeed Fran Bailey and the Infamous Lara Bingle were galivanting all over Europe and Asia promoting this advert.

QANTASforever

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:40 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 30):
If you think for a moment, rather than just bridling, you would see what I mean.

Oh for goodness sake. It was a joke. I was exploiting a slip of the tongue on your part. Although, considering your reaction - have you ever read the words of Syed Farid Alatas?

QFF

Banco

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:46 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 32):
Oh for goodness sake. It was a joke.

It was? Ok, then you got me. My apologies.

And no I haven't. Will it make me smile?

melpax

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:56 pm

They should have a look at promoting the major sporting events overseas more heavily - you've got the cricket, footy (especially the AFL grand final), Formula 1 grand prix & the Melbourne Cup amoung others - Cup week is ideal for o/s visitors as it's pretty much a week long party here in MEL. You've got racing on Saturday, The cup on Tuesday, Oaks Day on Thursday - the traditional 'ladies day', sarcasticlly called blokes day here due to the sheer amount of eye candy in attendance and the Emirates stakes on Saturday. It's more than the racing, people spend huge amounts on outfits for the week. This year though, they have started to promote it overseas.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

Banco

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:01 pm

Quoting Melpax (Reply 34):
They should have a look at promoting the major sporting events overseas more heavily

They do. Believe me, they do.

QANTASforever

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:32 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 35):
They do. Believe me, they do.

Ahem, yes. And it's the way they do it that often makes my blood boil. Remember the last ashes commericals?

QFF

VHVXB

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:34 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 36):
Ahem, yes. And it's the way they do it that often makes my blood boil. Remember the last ashes commericals?

you mean this one?
http://www.nextgenmedia.com/nine/promo/ashes_061113_vid_300.asx

Banco

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:36 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 36):
Remember the last ashes commericals?

Yes, but this is a personal matter. They never bothered me, just made me smile. Same with the stuff going on at the moment.

QANTASforever

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:49 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 37):
http://www.nextgenmedia.com/nine/promo/ashes_061113_vid_300.asx

No. I do not mean that one.

Quoting Banco (Reply 38):
They never bothered me, just made me smile

Of course they didn't bother you - you're English! Why on earth would you object to being portrayed as dominant enslavers?

QFF

NAV20

Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:30 pm

Looks like our wonderful government thinkers propose to 'reinforce failure':-

"GOOD-natured Ashes rivalry between Shane Warne and former England spinner Phil Tufnell is the centrepiece of a new government campaign to lure cricket-loving tourists to Australia.

"The internet-advertising push builds on the controversial $180 million "Where the bloody hell are you?" campaign that attracted the ire of authorities in Britain, Singapore and Canada.

"In one ad Warne taunts Tufnell, saying he has prepared for Tufnell's visit to Australia for the Ashes series.

"I have even booked you into a nice little restaurant so you can eat your words. I have saved you a slice of humble pie. Somewhere to drown your sorrows, and I have organised some sympathetic shoulders for you to cry on," Warne says.

"Tufnell replies:"You shouldn't be bloody worried about where the bloody hell I am, you should be worrying about how the bloody hell you are going to win those Ashes back."

"The new advertisement is the first in a partnership between Cricket Australia and Tourism Australia to market the country to the cricket-going public.

"It is designed to attract people to Australia for the Ashes cricket series, even though most Test match tickets have been sold, and to stay on to explore the country."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20773666-1702,00.html

Will they NEVER (bloody) learn?

[Edited 2006-11-17 14:35:32]
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.." - Leonardo da Vinci

Banco

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 39):
Of course they didn't bother you - you're English! Why on earth would you object to being portrayed as dominant enslavers?

LOL. Sorry, I actually thought you were referring to the last set of Australian ads when England were there four years ago.

JGPH1A

Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:51 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 39):
Why on earth would you object to being portrayed as dominant enslavers?

Object ? Banco pays good money for that kind of "personal service"  Smile (Handcuffs extra)

QANTASforever

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 42):
Object ? Banco pays good money for that kind of "personal service" (Handcuffs extra)

I always suspected that the historic precedent had a broader context.

QFF

JGPH1A

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:34 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 43):
I always suspected that the historic precedent had a broader context.

I blame the public school system, myself  Wink

QANTASforever

Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:01 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 44):
I blame the public school system, myself

I guess it explains the royal family.

QFF

JGPH1A

Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:13 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 45):
I guess it explains the royal family

True. Although the fact that they're all practically German goes some way to explaining it too  Smile

QFA380

Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:19 pm

Ok, this question is a little out of the blue, but does anyone think that Lara Bingle is an overpaid model who got famous for something that didn't even work? And a bitch?