jamincan

Any A.net Whitewater Kayakers?

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:44 am

I saw this video on google video, and thought I'd see how many folks here are whitewater enthuisiasts.

Anyway, you don't need to be a whitewater kayaker to appreciate this video. This video is from Phil's Hole on the Ottawa River, a rather powerful hydraulic that recirculates on itself, making it difficult for the kayaker to escape it. This guy lost his paddle, and miraculously somehow manages to mostly stay upright for the length of the video. I know I'd have made a mess in my pants in his position!

Just to show that kayaking is a bit more than floundering in a wave, here's another video of a kayaker on Bus Eater, also on the Ottawa River. This wave can grow to 7-8m high (that's 23'-26') at the highest water levels. Anyway, watch this guy conquer the wave.

MCIGuy

RE: Any A.net Whitewater Kayakers?

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:02 pm

Right here!

Holy shat! He didn't just stay upright, I think I saw a few carts in there! All in a playboat! Think I'll stick to my nice, fat creek boat.  Wink
Airliners.net Moderator Team

AC777LR

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:24 pm

Right here too, I go to Ottawa to the Ottawa river, good times, lol
Member since April 2000

jamincan

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:31 pm

Quoting MCIGuy (Reply 1):
Holy shat! He didn't just stay upright, I think I saw a few carts in there! All in a playboat! Think I'll stick to my nice, fat creek boat.  

Well, I wasn't sure how much of it was on purpose, and how much of it was him just going for the ride, but I think you're right, it does look like he pulled a few tricks in there.

Quoting AC777LR (Reply 2):
Right here too, I go to Ottawa to the Ottawa river, good times, lol

Are you from the Ottawa area then? Or do you just make the long trek from elsewhere in the province?