sw733

Spamalot Or The Producers?

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:29 am

Well, my girlfirend and I are taking a January adventure to New York City, and want to catch a Broadway play...we've narrowed it down to two, Spamalot and The Producers.

Has anyone seen either or both of these, and if so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

IAH777

RE: Spamalot Or The Producers?

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:35 am

No brainer: Spamalot. Python trumps whatever the hell The Producers is.  biggrin 

yooyoo

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:37 am

I have not seen either one of them, not as a play that is, but, I have seen The Producers as a movie.

If i had a choice, Spamalot would be my choice.  smile 
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

VSlover

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:40 am

depends what you like.

the producers is hilarious indeed...but if you like the whole monty python thing, that might be more your cup of tea.

satx

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:18 am

I saw the producers on Broadway in NY and again here in SAT. Both times I was blown away.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

futureuapilot

Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:25 am

I would check out Spamalot, I've listed to the sound track and really enjoy it. It's some great stuff...

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

reins485

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:59 pm

I have seen both shows on Broadway, including the Producers with Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane. Both shows play off of other shows on Broadway, so there is not any advantage either way and the both have won several Tony's. Star factor is that I believe that Hank Azaria, the Simpsons, is back in Spamalot. If I had to pick one, I would say Spamalot but there is no way you can go wrong.
Alex

stlgph

Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:31 pm

I saw both Spamalot and The Producers on their respective opening nights and laughed hysterically. I would say get tickets to Spamalot for one main reason being that some "friends in the know" tell me that The Producers might be posting a closing notice for Dec. 31. Of course, theater lovers, don't get your panties up in a whirl if this turns out not to be true, for it is rumored that The Producers will hang on as long as possible so that Young Frankenstein can come into the St. James in the fall of 2007.

Also, a second reason...The Producers the show is available almost as is on video. The only difference being that you are watching it at home and not with an audience of a few thousand.

Spamalot is such a hit that it is about ten years off from ever being offered on DVD or PBS.

I would also suggest that you do not wait long to get tickets to see Spamalot. The show runs at about 95% capacity meaning it sells out entirely about 7 out of its 8 weekly shows with the Tuesday evening or Wednesday matinee shows having less attendance.

Of course where you are going wrong from the get go is going to New York and limiting yourself from the get go to only seeing one show.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Longhornmaniac

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:05 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 7):

I saw Spamalot at the Fabulous Fox Theater in St. Louis last Sunday. It was ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS. The Fox is the most beautiful theater I've ever been in, as well. Wow! We got really lucky, I saw a billboard coming into town from the airport (I was going to visit SLU), and said, what the heck. We called in, and I guess a season ticket holder had just let his seats go, because we got 8th row center orchestra. Amazing!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Kieron747

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:46 am

SW773.

I am going to see Spamalot in London on the 28th November. I'll let you know what I think, but even before I've seen it, I would say Spamalot.

Python rules no matter what.

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

sw733

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:35 am

Thanks, everyone! I think it will be Spamalot.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 7):
Of course where you are going wrong from the get go is going to New York and limiting yourself from the get go to only seeing one show.

I know, I know, but we only have a long weekend and there is a lot we want to do - she has never been to NY before, and I haven't explored the city in several years.

stlgph

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:44 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 8):

You were probably in my seats. I was out of town and traded them in for the Nov. 7th performance.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport