Cadet57
Topic Author

Why Is Underage Drinking Tolerated?

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:50 am

This is something that has been on my mind for awhile now, and Id like to know what everyone elses view on it is. As a college student im around things like alcohol alot. Im not a drinker at all and at 19 I shouldn't be. But why is it that kids in high school and younger college students find it "cool" and socially acceptable to go out and get pissed up for the sake of getting, well pissed up. I think it is just stupid.

Most of my friends share the same view as me and dont drink at all. It is not that I think alcohol is wrong. Im just going by how I was raised. Alcohol is an adults beverage and thats it. In my family drinking is considered a beer or two on a friday night by my dad. Or if we are at a family get together my mom will have wine. Same with the rest of my family. But now it seems that to kids its ok to drink just to. And that to me isnt right. Also most are just dumb because then they do stupid crap like drive while pissed up.

So what's your take?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

tz757300

RE: Why Is Underage Drinking Tolerated?

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:00 am

Well being a senior in high school I can tell you I'm very out of the drinking norm. I have no desire to drink just to get drunk and pass out. Sure it can be fun, but not with a ton of irresponsible teens that don't know when how much is enough. I have many friends go to the hospital due to alcohol poisoning. That is a situation I do NOT want to be in.

I think that underage drinking shouldn't be tolerated, but I do feel having the celebratory champagne at New Years or for a special occasion isn't bad at all, but the drinking to drink is pretty bogus. Even after you turn 21 (or the legal age anywhere), drinking should be responsible. But, I must say, I'm not over 21, so my judgment may be a little bit skewed.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

vikkyvik

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:01 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Thread starter):
But why is it that kids in high school and younger college students find it "cool" and socially acceptable to go out and get pissed up for the sake of getting, well pissed up. I think it is just stupid.

I can only speak for myself. I started drinking when I was 16 or 17. Originally tried it just out of sheer curiousity, but found that I enjoyed it immensely, as did my friends.

Moral of the story is that I drank because I enjoyed it a lot. Some of my best memories are from drunken nights. Sounds funny when you say it that way....

My parents are also extremely light drinkers, and they have absolutely no conception of how much some folks drink.

I don't drink anymore, because it actually turned into a problem for me, but I know that's my own experience, and does not necessarily apply to everyone else. I think that underage drinking is pretty much something that's unavoidable; but I'm all for stiff penalties for drunk driving and such (I was lucky enough that I never got caught when I used to drink and drive, as stupid as it was).

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

NeilYYZ

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:04 am

Here's my point of view.

I'm 21 now, well over the legal age of 19 in Canada, however, I started drinking at around 14 or 15, not too much. I didn't do it to get piss drunk, but because it was a small way of being deviant, it felt risky, it made us feel like we were risk takers, and we knew that if we were caught it was no big deal, we drank, but we stayed clear of drugs, because we knew that those consequences were much tighter.

I personally don't think it should be tolerated, and if the police catch you, everyone gets some sort of fine, I figured that this is what would happen to me if I was ever caught. If I had kids I would never encourage them to do it, but I'd make it known to them, that if they did, be safe about it, don't walk home ripped, but rather stay at a friends house. My parents were never in favor of it, but realized that most of the kids my age did it, they never bought it for me, but as long as I was safe, and didn't do it around them there was rarely a problem.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

PlymSpotter

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:05 am

I don't have an issue with underage drinking, so long as it's in moderation. The way I have been brought up, along with everybody else in my family, is that from a fairly young age I was allowed to have some wine with meals, etc... building up to being able to have pretty much whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it by the time I was about 17. The idea in doing this was so that when I passed the legal drinking age, alcohol wouldn't be such a novelty, and that I wouldn't feel the need to go out and get drunk all of a sudden, I think its worked too because I haven't.

I agree with you that it's unacceptable for kids of 13 to be rolling drunk, out on the streets hanging around with their mates who are equally pissed because they just cannot handle it and have no responsibility, let alone a clue what's going on after they have had a few. They then they inevitably go on to cause trouble; pointless vandalism, getting into drunken brawls and the like. But, as much as it is their fault for consuming alcohol, I think its equally the fault of the shop owners who flaunt the rules and sell alcohol to underage teens, as well the adults who buy it for them whilst the kids wait outside the shop, knowing what will happen. Moderation and responsibility is key as far as I'm concerned.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

planecrazy2

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:10 am

It is sad that kids just drink to get drunk. If that is your purpose for drinking you shouldn't. I started drinking when I was 15 or so and still do. I drink at home with a meal and just relax. Drinking is a part of our culture and I refuse to let some drunk out of their mind punk kids take that away from me. It makes me angry that at 18 I am not considered old enough to drink. Underage drinking should be tolerated for those who are actually responsible enough to handle it.

-Zach
United Airlines - Worldwide Service

N231YE

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:05 pm

I find it disturbing that student pilots, yes pilots of airplanes, can go out and get drunk the night before a flight, or even drink a few hours before flying. I am a college student, and I see it/hear about it like hell (some 80% of college students drink). I do not drink myself, nor have I or ever will.

Being drunk is a disgrace to me, and I believe drunkenness is not professional pilot material. Just a warning to student pilots (or any pilots) that drink; if the FAA finds out (through random testing), they will have a great time tearing up your certificate, and if you're employed, kiss your days as a pilot for hire goodbye.

PureKiwi

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:14 pm

Im 14 and I can see where everyone is coming from, I drink about once a month and my family actualy let me drink to the point where I couldn't stand up. Most people will see this as a bad thing but it has actualy taught me how to control my alchohol and I probably wont end up with posioning or anything when im older. If these people followed the laws they will just be getting as bad as they are now later on in there life with more at risk e.g family, job, money

bill142

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:20 pm

Kids see it as a way to rebel against their parents. There is also, peer pressuer and social stigmas of if your not getting drunk your not cool.

A346Dude

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:36 pm

Why Is Underage Drinking Tolerated?

Because the bar is set ridiculously high.

21... are you serious? You're telling me a person can be old enough to have driven, for half a decade, to have voted a couple of times, to have engaged in armed combat in a foreign country - but not old enough to understand the consequences of drinking to excess?  Yeah sure
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

walter747

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:43 pm

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 9):

21... are you serious? You're telling me a person can be old enough to have driven, for half a decade, to have voted a couple of times, to have engaged in armed combat in a foreign country - but not old enough to understand the consequences of drinking to excess?

if kids were brought up on how to control alcohol intake then there wouldn't be this problem. if it was lowered people would find out quicler that drinking heavily only makes you sick.
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:46 pm

No. Its not. If you have seen the kids ive seen no age would be good enough for them. I understand cultural differences due to how kids are raised. But enough is enough. I go to class or visit my old hs and you got burnt out 15-18 year olds who are going to go to a community college for a week, say f it then im going to see them f up my order at McDonalds soon after. This needs to end.

We're Nuts

Im not a drinker at all and at 19 I shouldn't be.

kids in high school and younger college students find it "cool"

I think it is just stupid.

Alcohol is an adults beverage and thats it.

drinking is considered a beer or two on a friday night by my dad.

most are just dumb

Dear moderators: No.

trav110

As a senior in high school, I see nothing wrong with drinking underage. My parents have no problem with me going out and drinking at parties or downtown, and they'll let my friends come over and drink provided they're safe (they'll take my friends keys). They know I'm responsible, and I won't drive drunk. I've got plenty of great memories while drunk, and it's just something I enjoy doing. While there are people who act foolishly, I'm not one of them. I see no point behind the 21 drinking age at all.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 11):
I go to class or visit my old hs and you got burnt out 15-18 year olds who are going to go to a community college for a week, say f it then im going to see them f up my order at McDonalds soon after. This needs to end.

That's a ridiculous generalization  Yeah sure I've got a 3.6 GPA, and I've been accepted into every college I've applied. I've worked at fast-food before, and I find that most people who aren't among the sharpest human beings are as such because of the way they were rasied. Their parents never went to school after they graduated, and they probably won't either.

[Edited 2006-11-15 04:50:22]

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:49 pm

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 12):

whatever

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:57 pm

Quoting Trav110 (Reply 13):
That's a ridiculous generalization

Wanna bet. Come to my city and I'll prove my point.

I've worked at fast-food before,

So have I. But face is that im bettering myself so I dont turn into some wastecase. And kudos to you and your "3.6 gpa" and acceptance to all the schools you applied to...

TedTAce

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:09 pm

get pissed up for the sake of getting, well pissed up.

Well here is the disconect.

Two points.

The first is it depends on where this is comming from. If you are talking about your stereotypical 'let's get drunk and screw' deal it's just blatant irresponsiblilty. There can be several factors involved not the least of which is being away from over controlling parents for the first time.

The second is you can get pissed drunk AND be responsible about it. Just because you see your drunkart peers drinking and driving and having un-protected sex doesn't mean that you have to do it like that. One of the best drinking experiences I have had was a 'fall down party' a friend of mine hosted. Drop your keys in a hat at the door; drink until you fall down; then wake up sober the next day and get your keys and go home.

That being said wether or not you choose to EVER drink is your call. But don't be so quick to judge other's actions unless you are attacking their irresponsible behaviour and not the catalyst thereof. Drinking is a respnsibility no MATTER what age you are. Some people can handle it, others can't.
This space intentionally left blank

planecrazy2

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:12 pm

Yeah, the same adults who get drunk and kill people behind the wheel. sarcastic  Why don't we just ban liquor all together again? Where do you draw the line? Why do you think that 21 is the age where you become responsible enough to drink? Are American citizens who pay taxes, vote and fight in wars not responsible enough?

S12PPL

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:12 pm

I find it really sad you feel the need to lecture us on how horrible under age drinking is. I'm sorry, but I have no problem with someone 17 or 18 drinking. I think at 14 it's WAY too young to be getting drunk regularly. I'd let my 14 year old try a beer to see if he likes it. I'd also make it clear that should I catch him/her drinking that young, they wouldn't see the light of day outside of going to school until they turned 18. I started drinking when I was 16. I didn't get drunk every night, or every weekend. In fact, before I turned 20 I never got so damn drunk I was puking.

Before you start lecture everyone about how horrible under age drinking is, think about how wrong it is to do so. If you want to have this lecture with your own kids, fine. But to impose that belief on all of us isn't cool. I'd get pissed if I caught my 16 year old drunk, but not as pissed if it was my 18 year old. My dad was cool with me when I was 20 and got plowed at a Thanksgiving party. He told me how much he didn't agree with that decision, but never punished me.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

APFPilot1985

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:13 pm

Most of my friends share the same view as me and dont drink at all.

I bet you guys are a blast to hang out with.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:16 pm

Quoting Planecrazy2 (Reply 17):

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 18):

You are missing my point  sarcastic  Im not lecturing anyone. And I dont care if you do drink or not. The point I was trying to make was why do kids think its ok to get drunk just for the hell of it. If you want to its your bussiness. I just dont see a point, which is why I stay away from it.

Gsoshutout55

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:17 pm

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 19):

Any bets as to the last time Cadet57 got laid? I'll start with never.

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:22 pm

What makes you say that? Because we dont drink? Want to know why I dont? I think it tastes like shit. So instead of being like most teenagers my friends and I dont go and drink, we go to parties and have a good time, but do it not drunk...

Quoting GSOShutout55 (Reply 21):

Wow. You are a comedian!

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:23 pm

As a senior in high school, I see nothing wrong with drinking underage. My parents have no problem with me going out and drinking at parties or downtown, and they'll let my friends come over and drink provided they're safe (they'll take my friends keys).

So you have no problem with breaking the law then, because that's exactly what you've just stated. Maybe the law is stupid. Maybe the drinking age should be lowered or abolished altogether like in some countries in Europe. I can see and understand both sides of that argument. In speech class this past week, we had two people both give speeches on each side of the argument, and both made valid points. But that certainly doesn't make it okay to break the law because you don't agree with it.

Personally, I don't drink for three reasons: A) It's illegal. B) I don't enjoy alcohol all that much anyway. C) I see what it does to people both while drinking and immediately following (being sick and driving drunk).

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 8):
Kids see it as a way to rebel against their parents.

Reason numero uno right there.

Well, you can at least take some pride or assurance in knowing there is at least one other 19 year old college student who shares your views on drinking, be it underage or legal age.
Welcome to RU List.

[Edited 2006-11-15 05:26:37]
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

planecrazy2

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:26 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 20):
why do kids think its ok to get drunk just for the hell of it.

Because they haven't reached the maturity level to know it's wrong. Setting 21 as the "maturity level" for everyone is inaccurate.

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:32 pm

Quoting Planecrazy2 (Reply 24):
Setting 21 as the "maturity level" for everyone is inaccurate.

Then what do you propose? If teenagers arent mature enough and 21 isnt accurate. What does it need to be? Im not flaming you here, I really want to know what you have to say.

A346Dude

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:34 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 23):
But that certainly doesn't make it okay to break the law because you don't agree with it.

"Okay" is a subjective word. About all we can say is that it is illegal to break the law. If one is willing to face the consequences of breaking the law, IMO that person is justified in doing so.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

TedTAce

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:35 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 20):
why do kids think its ok to get drunk just for the hell of it.

I don't get why the question doesn't answer itself...for the hell of it
This space intentionally left blank

planecrazy2

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:40 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 25):
Then what do you propose? If teenagers arent mature enough and 21 isnt accurate.

I believe the age should be set at 18 when you become a legal adult and are fully responsible for your own actions. I also believe that this is just as inaccurate as 21 is but is much more realistic in terms of the amount of people who will follow the law. As I said I do not believe in declaring people mature at a certain age but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:42 pm

Quoting Planecrazy2 (Reply 28):
As I said I do not believe in declaring people mature at a certain age but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Agreed. But you do agree with my point as well that the majority of those teens that would be legal to drink probably should not be.

N1120A

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:44 pm

21... are you serious? You're telling me a person can be old enough to have driven, for half a decade, to have voted a couple of times, to have engaged in armed combat in a foreign country - but not old enough to understand the consequences of drinking to excess?

Complete agreement. The age of majority is 18 and that should also be the drinking age.

Anyway, I don't drink, never have, but I have no problem with people drinking alcohol. Going beyond the fact that 21 is an arbitrary and idiotic age given what the age of majority is, underage drinking in the bounds of their own home under parental supervision and approval is almost always legal and should be. One of my best friends is Italian, with a father from Treviso and a mother from Palermo. His parents let him sip beer and wine as a child and allowed him to drink wine with dinner in his mid-teens, as long as he wasn't going anywhere afterward. The upshot is that he rarely drinks, never drinks to excess and has a master's degree in mechanical engineering. While my mother is a non-drinker like me, my father enjoys a little wine, beer or tequila now and then and I was never brought up thinking alcohol was a "bad" thing and could have had some any time I wanted under parental supervision, I just didn't want to. The point is, if you make something an extreme taboo, you end up with the kind of binge drinking that really does hurt people.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

planecrazy2

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:47 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 29):
But you do agree with my point as well that the majority of those teens that would be legal to drink probably should not be.

Yes I agree with you, but the key word is majority. Most are not mature enough, but there are some that are. I fully respect your opinion and your decision is yours to make, welcome to my RU list.

-Zach

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 26):
"Okay" is a subjective word. About all we can say is that it is illegal to break the law. If one is willing to face the consequences of breaking the law, IMO that person is justified in doing so.

Well, I was using "okay" in that sense. However, I can't say I agree with the second part of your post. I can't say that I could look a parent in the eye and say "John over there was justified in drinking underage then driving and killing your kid because he'll be serving a prison sentence for it, and he's accepted that."

Quoting Planecrazy2 (Reply 24):
Because they haven't reached the maturity level to know it's wrong. Setting 21 as the "maturity level" for everyone is inaccurate.

I'm sorry. If you at 14 years old don't know the difference between right and wrong when it comes to making the decision of "should I drink?", well, you shouldn't be allowed out in public unsupervised. End of discussion.

Quoting Planecrazy2 (Reply 28):
Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 25):
Then what do you propose? If teenagers arent mature enough and 21 isnt accurate.

I believe the age should be set at 18 when you become a legal adult and are fully responsible for your own actions. I also believe that this is just as inaccurate as 21 is but is much more realistic in terms of the amount of people who will follow the law. As I said I do not believe in declaring people mature at a certain age but you have to draw the line somewhere.

I wouldn't be upset if the drinking age was lowered to 18. I'd probably even vote for it, even though I personally don't drink.
However, for those who seriously want the drinking age lowered, how many times have you written to your Congressman or Senators asking them to do so? All it would cost you is a few minutes time, a piece of paper, and a 39 cent stamp. I bet there are enough people who would support such a movement. The alcohol companies would surely support it. Just about everyone in the 18 to 21 age group would support this measurement.

mirrodie

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:25 pm

Quoting GSOShutout55 (Reply 21):

funny posts.

This is something that has been on my mind for awhile now, and Id like to know what everyone elses view on it is....were you actually sober when you posted this?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

A346Dude

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:31 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 32):
Well, I was using "okay" in that sense. However, I can't say I agree with the second part of your post. I can't say that I could look a parent in the eye and say "John over there was justified in drinking underage then driving and killing your kid because he'll be serving a prison sentence for it, and he's accepted that."

Haha, good point, but you are taking my argument to the extreme.

I would question rather John really had accepted the consequences of his breaking the law, his jail time being just one component (his extreme emotional distress and feeling of guilt being another, perhaps far more meaningful, consequence). In any case, I'm getting off topic here.  Smile

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:39 pm

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 34):
Haha, good point, but you are taking my argument to the extreme.

Yes, I know I took your argument to the extreme, mainly to because sometimes you have to that to get to people to acknowledge and respond to the point. You get props for not doing the knee-jerk reaction of bitching and screaming and moaning about it.  Smile

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 34):
I would question rather John really had accepted the consequences of his breaking the law, his jail time being just one component (his extreme emotional distress and feeling of guilt being another, perhaps far more meaningful, consequence). In any case, I'm getting off topic here.

I will admit, I didn't think of it this way. Thanks for providing a new angle and more importantly doing it in a civil manner.  wink 

looneytoon

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:14 pm

i am drunk right now!!!! I totally want this girl who is in ROTC!!
LooneyToon

cba

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:19 pm

Many legal adults in the US cannot drink.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 11):
No. Its not. If you have seen the kids ive seen no age would be good enough for them.

This is true of older adults as well, however. Alcoholics are alcoholics. Just because some people abuse alcohol doesn't mean that there should be interventions (especially by the government) to prevent it. If you want to damage your own liver, go for it. Just don't get behind the wheel and kill someone else.

Cadet57
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:41 pm

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 33):
...were you actually sober when you posted this?

Wow, the maturity level coming from a MODERATOR is astounding. This is brilliant!  sarcastic 

Twistedwhisper

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:44 pm

Alcohol is an adults beverage and thats it

So? Sex is an adult activity, that doesn't stop a number of 12, 13 and 14 year old girls to get knocked up. And I actually consider teenage pregancy a bigger issue than I do underage drinking.

The problem is not REALLY underage drinking, nor is it underage sex.
The problem is: Where the hell are the parents? Maybe it wouldn't hurt to show a bit interest in what your kids are doing.
Read between the lines.

vikkyvik

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:57 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 15):
Wanna bet. Come to my city and I'll prove my point.

Which brings up a point I forgot to mention in my first post. How the hell do you avoid drinking in western MA??? There's nothing else to do!

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 23):
So you have no problem with breaking the law then, because that's exactly what you've just stated.

Well, I also drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit. I guess I'm a habitual criminal.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 30):
Complete agreement. The age of majority is 18 and that should also be the drinking age.

For what it's worth, I also agree with that.

If alcohol were legal at a younger age, then families would be forced to deal with it earlier, instead of being able to mostly avoid the issue, and letting kids work it out for themselves when they go off to college. I'm not saying that all families do that, but I have a feeling that a lot do. Families in Europe seem to have no problem introducing their kids to alcohol at an earlier age; and while I don't know the relative rates of alcohol-related arrests, deaths, injuries, etc., I'd imagine that the earlier you're familiar with it, the better.

I'm extremely glad that I started drinking BEFORE I went off to college, because I can imagine that I might have gotten in some trouble had I not known what to expect.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ltbewr

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:24 pm

First of all, there is 2 levels of under aged drinking in the USA - 1) 18 and under; and 2) under 21. I will agree that due to parental involvement, religious beliefs, health, observance of problems of peers or just never getting into it, there are may under 21's who don't drink at all, or are light drinkers.

Much of 'toleration' of 18 & under (High School age) under aged alcohol consumption is due to the parents. The parents consumed alcohol when they were 18 or under themselves, they fear their kids being unpopular, they realize they are going to start drinking sometime and they really cannot stop it anyway.
As to under aged of those outside of High School yet under 21, at age 18 you are legally an adult in all other matters, and you considered an adult in that you can get killed for your country. In Colleges, the peer pressure, the stress to be accepted, the stress of being a student, the lack of parental observance, bored on a Saturday night, that parties are attractive, all encourage drinking even if under 21. The USA drinking age was standardized in the mid-1980's at 21 and with extra penalties for under 21's in other adult responsibilities (like having a driver's license) as too many were involved in drunk driving accidents in the under 21 age group.

L410Turbolet

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:26 pm

Im not a drinker at all and at 19 I shouldn't be.

Oh come on. If you can legally vote (and be elected?), smoke, become a father (mother) of 6, drive a car, get a gun and under certain circumstances end up in the military shooting other people then why shouldn't you be able to get a few beers with friends without feeling like a criminal?

JakeOrion

Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:52 pm

Cadet57, I applaud your stance on your underage drinking issue, kudos!

With that said, I was a victim of alcohol myself, and let me explain.

When I was 18 (still in high school), I was dating a 17 year old chick. We had fun together, etc until one night we went to a party she was invited to. She had me come along since it would actually be my first "real" party. Remember, I was pretty much a mama's boy at that point, so all this stuff was relatively new to me.

Well, it was a frat party. You know, beer, sex, the whole 9 yards. I was curious, but I wasn't stupid either. FORTUNATELY, some of my buddies were also invited, so I chilled with them, asked questions (which they thought was funny, but at the same time, they understand) and just had a really good time. Well, my girl came up to me and handed me a Rum & Coke, but said it was just a Coke. When I tasted it, I knew alcohol was in it, but I figured I was in a safe environment and just had at it.

Before I knew it, I woke up the next morning next to my buck naked g/f. First thing I thought was damnit, we had sex. But the strange part was I was still fully clothed, the fly wasn't even unzipped, nothing. Well, I woke her up, took her home, and that was the end of it.

Five days later I answered a knock at my door, its the police. They said I am under arrest for "raping" a minor. Problem was, I could not deny if I actually had raped her or not because I did not remember the night at all. (Turns out her father was a lawyer, go figure.)

To make this story short, my buddies testified she had set me up and we did not do anything beyond kissing, not even oral. The case was dismissed and no charges were pressed.

This was a very hard lesson learned.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

L410Turbolet

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:01 am

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 43):
This was a very hard lesson learned.

Never date a b*tch whose daddy is a lawyer?

linco22

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:05 am

Sorry i'm late in adding this. Before I start i'll make it clear i'm 24 years old. I would say that drinking is so accessible to anyone. When I was 17/18 I knew I only needed to ask someone of a legal age to buy me drink. But I didnt stay out late at weekend getting hammered. It wasn't my thing. Though I do drink now and I do suffer!!!

So how do you cope with it? Well you can't really. Fines and such like don't put young people off anymore. Parents don't have the control anymore. Even when I was 16/17 I knew where I stood with my parents and it wasn't a problem. But now its different. Policing isn't strong enough to work and the justice system doesn't want to know.

JBirdAV8r

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:34 am

Well, here's a little bit of personal testimony for what it's worth.

I'm 22 years old. I've had two drinks in my entire life; both were after I turned 21. I do not feel that drinking is "wrong" and I do not look down on people who go out and have a few drinks with friends. I don't have a problem with people who get "buzzed" every once in awhile. I do, however, have a problem with alcoholics...the ones that run up and down the hallway stark naked every night, puking on the floors and walls and having indiscriminate sex with anyone that comes into sight on a regular basis.

Why don't I partake?

I'm a risk averse person. I'm happy with the way things are NOW. I don't like "The Great Unknown" of what might happen should I get involved with alcohol. I don't regret my choice as it is 100% voluntary. I don't make a point of it to everyone else--they drink, I don't. It's their business, I don't care.

I've seen what alcoholism can do to a family. The people in my own family are very light drinkers, fortunately, but I've seen several examples around me of what alcoholism can do. It's ugly, folks. It turns people into horrible things. That's just not a risk I'm willing to take for a "buzz." I don't know how to predict what I'm going to be like if I were ever drunk, so I'm not even going to explore it.

Some of you have said that us non-drinkers must be a lot of fun at parties. Well, maybe I wouldn't belong in your fraternity houses (aren't you supposed to be "service organizations" anyway?) but I have a few nice, amicable, "funny" and "nice" qualities that come out even when I'm not drunk. My girlfriend doesn't drink either, which makes the choice even easier. Actually, we don't do lots of things that "modern" couples do--again because we are risk averse people. We like what we have, we're happy, we're satisfied. And that's the way it should be!

I know it will be taken as such, but I hope my post is not viewed as "holier-than-thou" preaching from a right-wing evangelical nutcase. I'm none of those things. It's just a perspective from someone with generally moderate views who is a non-drinker and non-promiscuous.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

S12PPL

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:20 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 38):
Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 33):
...were you actually sober when you posted this?

Wow, the maturity level coming from a MODERATOR is astounding. This is brilliant!

hissyfit   hissyfit   hissyfit 
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Cadet57
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 40):
How the hell do you avoid drinking in western MA???

You do have a point...

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 40):
There's nothing else to do!

Which is why Im moving to Boston  Wink

Quoting JakeOrion (Reply 43):

That... Sucks dude.

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 46):

Very well said dude.

falstaff

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:49 am

It is tolerated because most people drank when they were in their teens. I did it, my parents did it and my grand parents did it. Many people look at it as part of being a teen. I for one would rather see teens having fun drinking beer at a party than snorting lines of snow and crystal.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503