centrair

Zune Vs. IPod

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:16 pm

So Microsoft has relased its so-called "iPod Killer"...Zune (who thought up this name).

I have been reading reviews all morning and so far....

CNN...ripped it apart and Miles O'Brien actually said "Why don't they get som good designers who can make a stylish product". The Co-anchor pulled out a new iPod Shuffle and they just praised it.

CNN Money actually said that the WiFi option is useless at this point and you still have to know the person you are going to share with. (you have to ask them first to share songs.)

Reuters...reported that first sales are slow. Virgin Megastore in NYC sold virtually none. Bestbuy sold a few.

USA Today..."Its no iPod".

Engadget..."Microsoft launches the Zune, world keeps on turnin"...ouch.

Microsoft says this is just the beginning and that they will release a whole family of products.

Just a little compare.
iPod

• Works with iTunes (Mac and PC)
    device works with Mac and PC
  • iTunes provides music, audiobooks, TV shows, Movies, Music videos, podcasts, games
  • Support photos, calanders, addressbook, clock, stopwatch
  • Supports MP3 and m4a formats
    only iPods can work directly with iTunes.
  • Comes in multiple sizes and styles (Shuffle, Nano, iPod)

Zune

• Works with Zune Marketplace (PC only)
  • Device works only with PCs
  • Has built in radio (if you still listen to one anymore)
  • Has built in WiFi for sharing music with other Zune users.
  • Only songs downloaded from Zune Marketplace can be shared.
  • Shared songs can be listened to 3 times.
  • One must read the file details before it can be shared. Some groups and companies did not want the music shared and will not allow it.
  • Zune Marketplace has limited music, no video, no podcasts...zunecasts?, no audiobooks, no album art
  • Supports wma files and MP3s
  • Does not support any files downloaded through previous MS agreements with Napster and played in Media Player. That is, any song purchased through other services cannot be played on a Zune or in Zune Marketplace.
  • Battery length same as iPod
  • Size similar to iPod but weighs more
  • Pictures shown in horizontal mode. When in Horizontal mode the commands for the controlers also change (right becomes up etc).
  • Menus system allows a person to scroll through songs lists quickly with a large letter popping up to let you know where you are.
  • can set a desktop picture. (menu works above desktop picture)
  • larger screen than iPod
  • First of what Microsoft says will be a family of new products.

These are all things noted from sites
So...what are your opinions, will you buy a Zune? Is Zune an iPod Killer?
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

unoflygirl

RE: Zune Vs. IPod

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:18 pm

I bet people will still use iPods. The fact that the iPod works on both operating systems might be more desirable for people. Plus, iPod is a cooler name than Zune! :-P
"I'm not anxious to die...just anxious to matter"

Bobster2

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:26 pm

Zune. From the folks who brought you Microsoft Bob.

Blech.

"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

TedTAce

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:32 pm

Centrair, you omitted some facts, you might want to check: http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/device.htm

I'm buying a Zune Next Tuesday.
This space intentionally left blank

AC773

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:34 pm

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 2):
From the folks who brought you Microsoft Bob.

...And Windows ME! Oh the joy.

How about a screenshot!  bigthumbsup 

Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

Klaus

Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:42 pm

Another major difference:

• iPod uses a scroll wheel to quickly and precisley navigate even extensive lists.

• Zune merely pretends to have a scroll wheel as well - but it is only a cheap four-way button, not a scroll wheel as one might think at first glance.

Makes a world of difference in practice.

And here's the kicker:

AppleInsider | Zune incompatible with Windows Vista

Quote:
Though seemingly implausible, the screenshot below tells the story (while raising some questions at the same time).

"This operating system is currently not supported by Zune," reads an error message when trying to install Zune software on the latest versions of Microsoft's own Windows Vista operating system.

In an official Zune support document, Microsoft, which will begin selling Vista to business customers in two weeks, confirms that the system "is not supported at this time."

They really know how to make people trust in their general competence...!  crazy 

TedTAce

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:20 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):
Makes a world of difference in practice.

Probably

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):
They really know how to make people trust in their general competence...!

Ummmm no..

Your illustration omits the possibility(probability) that the device is natively supported by Vista and the code you are using as an example was written explicitly for pre-vista OS's. YET another possibility is that it's just a bad pre-install environment check for that installer. I'll go dimes to dollars that if you can get the software in place witthout the installer it will work. Hell even Pirch98 runs on my Vista box w/out any problems.

And lest you forget...
A) Vista is not going to end users before Janurary 30th LEGALLY. Almost 3 months is a LONG time to correct the issue
B) I know of no corporate IT department that supports ANY MP3 device on corporate boxes.

Aeroflot777

Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:58 pm

I'm definitely going to get a Zune, but I'm going to wait for teh future generations. As with all products, the 1st generation is DEFINITELY going to have many flaws. No doubt about it.
Generally, I oppose Ipods because I don't like being part of the hype. I don't like when everyone has the same things on the street. That's why I have a Creative Zen and am very, very happy with it. By the time the future Zune generations come out, it will be time for me to get a replacement.

Aeroflot777

centrair

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:05 pm

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 3):
you omitted some facts,

Yes I guess I did. Not intentionally though. I didn't realize it supports ACC formats. Otherwise I am not sure what I omitted.
Many of the statements are simplified.

Add to Zune

• Zune supports jpg pictures
  • supports wma, mp3 and acc formats including .mov
  • English only
  • WiFi range up to 30 feet (meaning after you talk to the person you are going to share with, you can then walk 30 feet away and get the song.)
  • Zune software can automatically import your existing files, including your music and video from iTunes® and Windows Media® (however on the Microsoft Zune Software support page:The Zune software will not play DRM-protected content from other music stores such as the MSN Music Store.)
  • Zune works with Xbox™ 360! Access media right in the Xbox dashboard, or listen to music while playing games.

some bits from zune website

Add to iPod

• supports multiple language out of the box. All iPods can be updated regardless of language...meaning less money in development.
  • does not support wma format or wmv format

Now that I have said this... the Zune website is everything Microsoft. They are trying to be cool but can't seem to shed the corporate image. The photos on the website give it that "human touch" that is on every Microsoft packaging. But sorry even the iPod website doesn't do that. It sells the product without the "human touch" images. The website is so dark it doesn't get my attention what so ever.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):
And here's the kicker:

here is another one

Quoting http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927876/en-us?sd=zune:

2. If the Zune device does not appear in Device Manager, follow these steps:
a. Connect the Zune device to another port on the computer, such as a USB port on the back of the computer. Do not use a USB hub.
b. If this action does not resolve the issue, connect the Zune device to another computer or to an Xbox 360 console to determine whether the Zune device is detected in a different setup.
If the Zune device appears in Device Manager, register ZuneSP.dll. To do this, follow these steps:
Note A .dll file is a set of functions that can be executed or data that can be used by a Windows application. In this case, ZuneSP.dll provides the service in Windows Media Device Manager (WMDM) for Zune devices.
a. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 "C:Program FilesZunezunesp.dll", and then click OK. You receive the following message:
DllRegisterServer in C:Program FilesZunezunesp.dll succeeded.

b. Click OK.

iPod on windows...if you have a problem...Reset, Retry, Restart, Reinstall, Restore.

Even on their own platform they can't make it slick and easy.

centrair

Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:08 pm

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 7):
because I don't like being part of the hype. I don't like when everyone has the same things on the street.

But in your home you have windows just like tons of people right?

If this statement were true then you would have a mac or even linux to be really different.

Aeroflot777

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:28 pm

Quoting Centrair (Reply 9):
But in your home you have windows just like tons of people right?

No, these are DRASTICALLY different topics. As far as computers go, there are only 2 major operating systems. (Linux, not many people are acquainted with it).

The MP3 world is full of many various producers, not only Apple, and the new player in the market, Microsoft. A Creative Zen fit my needs perfectly, not many people have it around here as opposed to Ipods, which on a regular bus during rush hour I see at least 5 of. That's a fact, there are simply more Ipod users in the population than any other type of player. That's precisely what I hate.

With computers you don't have a choice, either Windows or Apple. And frankly when it comes to operating systems I like both. But it's not a hype, it's simply a choice between two systems used worldwide.

Aeroflot777

NeilYYZ

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:36 pm

I looked at the Zune, but I'm sticking with the iPod, I've had three of them so far, and each one is great! I'm not going to get anything new when the iPod serves my purposes perfectly!
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

garnetpalmetto

Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:06 pm

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 10):
A Creative Zen fit my needs perfectly, not many people have it around here as opposed to Ipods, which on a regular bus during rush hour I see at least 5 of. That's a fact, there are simply more Ipod users in the population than any other type of player. That's precisely what I hate.

Absolutely - I'm another Creative Zen user (Creative Zen V here) and I absolutely love the thing. Intuitive design, good support from a variety of media providers, and the software is fairly easy to use. My only complaint, in retrospect, is I should have gotten a bigger storage capacity (it's mainly a Flash player for the gym/bus anyway, so I can deal with its 1GB capacity for now...if not I'll get a Creative Zen Vision: M at some point down the road). Anyway to list out its features:

• Works with Real Rhapsody and Napster.
  • Limited Mac support (requires user to reformat from time to time and to download firmware on a PC)
  • Zen V Plus features built-in radio. Wooo. I skipped this feature
  • Support photos, calanders, addressbook, clock. Can be synched with Outlook
  • Zen V Plus also features video.
  • Zen in general comes in multiple sizes, styles, and colors (Nano, Micro, MicroPhoto, Vision, Nano Plus, V, V Plus, Vision: M, Vision W)
  • Supports WMA, MP3, and WAV
  • V Fits between Shuffle and Nano niches, capacity-wise (V comes in 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB)
  • V's size also fits between Nano and Shuffle - 2.7" H x 1.7" W (wider than both by 0.1" on the part of the Nano) x 0.6" D (thicker than both), weighs 1.5 oz (0.09 ounces more than a Nano)
  • V supports album art and a desktop picture

All in all, I'm happy with it and I know of a few first-generation Shuffle users giving thought to switching over to Creative for their next MP3 player.

[Edited 2006-11-15 09:07:01]
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

Klaus

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:21 pm

Generally, I oppose Ipods because I don't like being part of the hype.

Just make sure you've actually compared the products in question - being nonconformist by principle is completely acceptable; Just know what you're doing before you make your decision.

Sometimes it's just hype, but every once in a while, there is actually some substance behind it. The majority isn't always wrong, you know...!

Pope

Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:32 pm

Here's what I don't get. MS kicked Apple's but in the PC market by making it's OS compatible over a very wide range of hardware. It's a proven strategy that's worked well. Therefore, why didn't they do the same with the MP3 software/zune store? IMO a better strategy would have been to allow users of all sorts of players to buy music from the zune store.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Klaus

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:09 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 14):
Here's what I don't get. MS kicked Apple's but in the PC market by making it's OS compatible over a very wide range of hardware. It's a proven strategy that's worked well.

Not exactly, actually. MS was more or less pushed into the corporate market by IBM and only later became viable on its own as supplier for the clone manufacturers. Without the corporate contracts, DOS and Windows would have died an early and largely unnoticed death - or would not even have seen the light of day in the first place.

Unfortunately for MS, however, there is no IBM today, and I have my doubts if corporate acquisition will really make the difference in the music player market...!

So it's actually down to user's choice, and the generally damning reviews (no other way to put it) so far don't bode too well for the Zune...

Quoting Pope (Reply 14):
Therefore, why didn't they do the same with the MP3 software/zune store? IMO a better strategy would have been to allow users of all sorts of players to buy music from the zune store.

They had already tried and failed on exactly that route: The infamous "plays for sure" concept was exactly that attempt.

But as we know now, MS doesn't just leave its hardware manufacturers in the dust and becomes their biggest competitor (in the anything but iPod niche), it's also all the users who get screwed because none of the "plays for sure" titles will play on the Zune - and that's for sure...!

Add to that the fact that the Zune has by far the most restrictive DRM of the whole bunch (maybe except the defunct Sony attempt - notice anything?); MS was apparently so desperate to get their hands on music content that the music industry had them by the short and curlies - what the industry wants, the industry gets from MS, also unlike Apple.

The fact that wirelessly "squirted"  Yeah sure titles simply die after three playbacks or three days (whichever comes first) is just one indication of this fact.

Yeah, if one is a die-hard MS fan (are there any?), one might put up with all the limitations and the nonsense. But other than that? I haven't found any reasons for believing that the Zune was destined for anything but the bargain bins in a few months - and the landfill after that.

Second generation? I doubt it.

jush

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:16 pm

I'm definitely going to get a Zune, but I'm going to wait for teh future generations. As with all products, the 1st generation is DEFINITELY going to have many flaws. No doubt about it.
Generally, I oppose Ipods because I don't like being part of the hype. I don't like when everyone has the same things on the street. That's why I have a Creative Zen and am very, very happy with it. By the time the future Zune generations come out, it will be time for me to get a replacement.

Yeah great you buy the worse product just because you wanna be different.
you are a hero mate. Go on and buy yourself some hippe cloth just to be different.
No scroll wheel.... Then it's nothing like a normal mp3player you can get for 20 bucks.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

AirPacific747

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:19 pm

Very true! that's also why I use a Sony NW-A1000

And I am very happy with it as well!

halls120

Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:44 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 11):
I looked at the Zune, but I'm sticking with the iPod, I've had three of them so far, and each one is great! I'm not going to get anything new when the iPod serves my purposes perfectly!

Same here. When I got my Ipod nano a year ago and loaded it on my Dell PC, the ease of operating Itunes on a PC convinced me to take the full plunge and go Mac.

I couldn't imagine going back to Microsoft, and Zune in particular.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

LHMark

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:09 pm

Well the New York Times wasn't particularly nice to the Zune. Neither was Wired.

The draconian DRM is what makes it irrelevant. It'll be off the shelves Zune enough.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

waterpolodan

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:05 am

Quoting Jush (Reply 16):
you are a hero mate. Go on and buy yourself some hippe cloth just to be different.
No scroll wheel.... Then it's nothing like a normal mp3player you can get for 20 bucks.

He likes a different type of mp3 player, why the hell does that make you feel the need to insult him? Grow up.

Sorry guys, I try to avoid all the name calling and child's play that goes on in this forum, but that was just ridiculous and needed a word to be said.

Anyway, does anyone here have a Zen Vision M? I just bought one on Ebay today for a good price ($220) and I'm excited to get it next week, I was considering an Ipod video but I read comparisons and the Vision M has a better screen, longer battery life during video playback, and cool features like a radio tuner that made me decide in its favor, plus thanks to its relative lack of popularity it's possible to get them for less than an Ipod Video.

aa757first

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:47 am

Simply put, I'm buying a Zune just because it's not an iPod.

iPods are incredibly overrated and almost everyone I know that has a mini has had horrible battery life problems.

I asked for a Zune for Christmas and can't wait to get it so I can be iPod free.

AAndrew

Aeroflot777

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:05 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 13):
Sometimes it's just hype, but every once in a while, there is actually some substance behind it. The majority isn't always wrong, you know...!

I'm definitely not denying that Ipods are a great product! I think they are suburb, and that is why they are so popular, no doubt about it!

Quoting Jush (Reply 16):

Dude, get a life. Just cause it doesn't have a scroll wheel doesn't make it a worse product! That's exactly why I said I don't want the 1st generation. They are obviously going to have flaws. It's more than a regular MP3 player for 20 bucks, and they features will only improve. So as the product improves they will definitely get my business.

Aeroflot777

waterpolodan

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:33 pm

Piggybacking on my question about whether anyone else has a Zen Vision M, does anyone know an easy, preferably free way to get dvd movies onto my hard drive and then on to the vision m? I'd like to check some out from my dorm's desk and load them up for airplane flights and the like...

TedTAce

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:12 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 19):
Well the New York Times wasn't particularly nice to the Zune.

This one un-did it for me. Something about not being able to use it to transport files??? That's  redflag 

I'll be getting one of these instead:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Archo...ilver,__25286576/search=ARCHOS+504

Klaus

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 20):
I was considering an Ipod video but I read comparisons and the Vision M has a better screen, longer battery life during video playback, and cool features like a radio tuner that made me decide in its favor, plus thanks to its relative lack of popularity it's possible to get them for less than an Ipod Video.

Which one would that be? It would still be almost the same price as the 30GB iPod.

The iPod has just recently been upgraded - the comparisons you read were probably with the previous models which have just been replaced.

Both the screen and the battery capacity were substantially improved over the previous iPods.

An FM tuner is separate for the iPod (it comes as a Radio Remote to be plugged in externally), so if it's really essential for you, it will add to the cost. But at least I have not really missed it so far.

One thing that makes a major difference in practice is the user interface. And in this respect I found the Vision M relatively cumbersome compared to the iPod.

It can all be a matter of taste up to a point, but I'd strongly advise against buying a player without actually using it in direct comparison to the alternatives.

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 22):
iPods are incredibly overrated

Don't follow the hype - just compare what's available. If something else really suits you better after actually making the comparison, go for it!

and almost everyone I know that has a mini has had horrible battery life problems.

All rechargeable batteries age with use and over time, pretty much regardless of the device they're built into.

Many iPod minis will have degraded their battery capacity to a certain point by now (some more, some less, depending on usage patterns). Fortunately iPod batteries are available from several suppliers, including updated ones with increased capacity.

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 23):
Just cause it doesn't have a scroll wheel doesn't make it a worse product!

No, but it's a major factor in the quality of the user interface.

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 25):
This one un-did it for me. Something about not being able to use it to transport files??? That's  redflag 
I'll be getting one of these instead:

Just be sure to have made the comparison before buying it. (iPods can of course be used as external flash- or harddrives among other things.)

waterpolodan

Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 26):
Which one would that be? It would still be almost the same price as the 30GB iPod.

Well, the new price for a 30GB ipod is 250, and it's hard to find them anywhere for less than that because they're so popular, and I managed to get the Zen for 220 plus 10 dollars shipping... 20 bucks isn't much of a savings, but all the reviews I read have made me excited for the different features. Also, after my nano died so quickly and painfully, I'm just looking to give a company other than Apple a shot...

Quoting Klaus (Reply 26):
The iPod has just recently been upgraded - the comparisons you read were probably with the previous models which have just been replaced.

You are right about that, stupid me... I didn't realize the video Ipod was updated along with the nano and the mini, all the reviews I read were comparing the Vision M to the 5th generation Ipod while the latest is the 6th generation. Apparently the new Ipod has 6 hours of video playback, definitely better than the Zen... I'm still excited to try it out when it arrives in a few days, and if it really isn't as good as I hope it is, I'll just resell it and get myself a 30GB Ipod.

Anyone know about my DVD question?

garnetpalmetto

Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:30 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 27):
Anyone know about my DVD question?

Sorry, Dan - you might want to try looking through Creative's Discussion forums - http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs?region=CLI or searching through their Knowledge Base
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

IFEMaster

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:33 am

I'm buying a Zune just because it's not an iPod.

I hope you can still say that when it becomes obvious to you that the Zune's DRM restrictions and 1st gen problems make the iPod look like solid gold compared to the Zune.

iPods are incredibly overrated

So overrated that they sold 58 million of them. Please, try them all out before saying which ones are overrated. Anything else is incredibly short sighted.

I have a 60GB Video iPod. After trying various offerings from Sony and Creative, and actually owning a Zen for a little while, I switched to the iPod. WAY superior interface, battery life is awesome, sounds fantastic, interfaces with my car, is a breeze to manage with iTunes etc. I don't see anything on the market that can come close to touching iPod's brilliance.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

LTU932

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 5):
Zune incompatible with Windows Vista

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Absolutely priceless! Big grin How the hell can't they make one of their newest products compatible with their newest Windblows version? I predict a load of service packs for Zune will come.

Knowing Microsoft, their first releases are always comparable to an Alpha version, so if I were you, I'd be even more cautious with Microshaft products.

Personally, I'll probably go for an iPod, but only once I start flying more frequently again.

runway777

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:36 am

ipod is the most amazing thing ever. lol.
i go nowhere with out my ipod video
"kalli, be the best pilot you can be, who happens to be a girl" -Joe White

OlegShv

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:38 am

I'm very happy with my 4GB Nano which I got about a year ago. It works great and I'm very satisfied with the size of the thing and the sound quality. Since I have a Powerbook G4, and my next desktop computer will be a Mac, I guess I will stick with whatever mp3 player Apple will have then (in case something nasty happens with my Nano).

I think it's good that MS decided to compete in this market because Apple will have to come up with better products to retain its marketshare. Go Apple!  duck 

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 27):
Also, after my nano died so quickly and painfully

What happened to it?

daedaeg

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting Garnetpalmetto (Reply 12):
Absolutely - I'm another Creative Zen user (Creative Zen V here) and I absolutely love the thing. Intuitive design, good support from a variety of media providers, and the software is fairly easy to use. My only complaint, in retrospect, is I should have gotten a bigger storage capacity (it's mainly a Flash player for the gym/bus anyway, so I can deal with its 1GB capacity for now...if not I'll get a Creative Zen Vision: M at some point down the road). Anyway to list out its features:

Another Zen guy here. I didn't want to buy into the IPOD hype either. But the main reason I bought it was because it was a lot cheaper than the IPOD. Most of the price of the IPOD is in the name.IMO
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

waterpolodan

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting OlegShv (Reply 32):
What happened to it?

Well, first the screen went bad, so that I could only read the song titles ect. if I tilted it at a very specific angle. The backlight would still come on, but the text on the screen was barely perceptible. This didn't bother me so much, as I only really used it for working out and running and I'd just make playlists on itunes. Then, it just stopped turning on. I tried resetting it, I tried charging it... when I leave it on the charger, it makes a strange buzzing sound and gets very, very hot but it doesn't ever actually turn on nor does my computer ever detect it. I've tried using different USB cables and charging it with a wall plug adapter, but it still won't turn on. I should have taken it in to get warranty service, but I don't have a car here at school and I'm not even sure that there is an Apple store in new orleans that is open. Anyway, time to move on to a video/audio player anyway, but it'd be nice to get the nano working eventually just for exercise.

IFEMaster

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 34):
it'd be nice to get the nano working eventually just for exercise

Send it to these guys. A friend had his nano repaired by them, and he said their service was outstanding.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Bobster2

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:16 am

It occurred to me that people will find their Zunes loaded with spam from the WiFi. So I googled "zune wifi spam" and discovered I'm not exactly the first to think of this, more like the millionth. Watch out! The Zune spam is gonna getcha.  Smile
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

YWG

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:26 am

My friend is an apple enthusiast and had told me a few key "selling point".
-Apparently, Zune only takes purchased music.
-The purchased music expires or something to that affect after a given time period.
-It's a brick!!

On another note, the day Zune was released....Microsofts stock DROPPED about .5%

Cheers
YWG
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

TedTAce

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:36 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 37):
Apparently, Zune only takes purchased music.

ABSOLUTE  redflag 

Quoting YWG (Reply 37):
The purchased music expires or something to that affect after a given time period.

plain  redflag 

Zune will take and play anything you load to it through it's software.

The only things that expire are files sent from one Zune to another.

I'm torn.

John Dvorak slammed the Zune (but only because of the 'preview agreement') and I had one in my hands today while it was playing the FF7 preview.... it was effing AWESOME!!

Oh PS.

MS has stated that Vista released on Jan 30th will natively support the Zune.

Only thing I have to 'get over' now is the lack of ability to use it as an external HDD.

AC773

Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:13 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 38):
Only thing I have to 'get over' now is the lack of ability to use it as an external HDD.

I obviously don't know you, so I can only offer my own experience and opinion:

I have an iPod, and I never use it as an external drive. All of my stuff can be handled with thumb drives, e-mail, and optical storage. However I have experimented with the iPod as an HDD just for kicks, and if I really needed that functionality, I'd buy a dedicated drive in a heartbeat. Not only can said drive be had for about 80 bucks; it's far less hassle than dragging around your iPod and there's just no contest when it comes to capacity.

I know Klaus will get on my back about the 'hassle' bit, so allow me to elaborate. Having your music and files on one device can be handy, but it also has enormous potential to be a bitch. I mean, do you really want to carry your iPod into work? Do you want Windows to bring up your HDD folder every time you plug it in? Can you deal with having 30 GB for everything? And after all, for the price of an 80GB iPod, you can buy a 30 gig and have enough money left for a separate 80 gig notebook-size external drive.

These are questions only you can answer, but they're definitely something to think about. Undoubtedly the iPod HDD functionality is handy and functional for many people, but I would never consider using it with any regularity.

Kind of a long post for a short quote, but hey, I'm bored and my laptop doesn't have Photoshop on it. Big grin
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

YWG

Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:37 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 38):
Zune will take and play anything you load to it through it's software.

Sorry about that, I was 'briefed' before it came out, so obviously he had his facts mixed up.
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

Klaus

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:02 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 39):
I know Klaus will get on my back about the 'hassle' bit

I just don't see the problem with it.

Of course real-life circumstances will vary, but for many purposes an iPod can in fact be a rather practical tool.

Of course my nano will show up automatically as a drive on the desktop as well as in iTunes when I connect it to my Mac. I don't see the problem with that. If I don't use the flash drive feature, it stays silent. If I do, it's there (one minor side feature of that is the notes feature which allows to place text files on the iPod to be looked up while under way).

Simple as that. I can't see the problem with that.

If you need a bigger or a faster drive, get one (same if you're prohibited to bring the iPod in but inexplicably allowed to bring a bigger harddisk). If the iPod suffices, you simply have one item less to lug around.

It's just another practical feature, but nobody actually forces you to use it.

I don't see any "hassle" with it.

Klaus

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:12 pm

I just came across an analytical piece which - although clearly opinionated - does provide some perspective on and insight into the market dynamics at this particular juncture:

The Secret Failures of Microsoft

Asturias

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:06 pm

Zune:

No Games
No Alarm Clock
No Stopwatch
No World clock
No Volume limiter
No Equalizer
No Calendar
No Address book
No Notes module
No PlaysForSure support
Can't be used as an external Hard Drive
Can't be used with Windows Media Player

Perhaps in future generations these things will be adressed... perhaps not.

cheers

Asturias
Tonight we fly

OlegShv

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 34):
I should have taken it in to get warranty service, but I don't have a car here at school and I'm not even sure that there is an Apple store in new orleans that is open.

Sorry to hear your story. Really, you should have called Apple and asked them about how to send your nano for repairs or replacement. Apple has one of the best customer services.

TheRedBaron

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:04 pm

I have a 1 gen Ipod
a 3 gen Ipod, 2 Minis, 1 nano and 1 Video...

Zune? yeap when hell frezes over and drops dead ....

Simply pit the Ipod has NO competition....

can someone explain what the heck is going on in this pic?
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.