Falcon84
Topic Author

GOP Puts Lott Back In Leadership

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:41 am

Showing that the Republicans in the Senate didn't learn a thing by ousting Lott for his 1940's-type remarks a few years back, and not learning a thing from the election just passed, they put in old bigot Trent Lott back into Leadership.

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/...15309990002?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Instead of looking for new ideas, they turn to old, stale, bigoted ones. How quaint.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N1120A

RE: GOP Puts Lott Back In Leadership

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:49 am

Looks like the Pascagoula Putz is getting a second chance. I guess it was only a matter of time, because no matter how stupid he can be, Trent Lott does yeoman's work for his party.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

andessmf

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:55 am

For reference, here are the remarks:

"Tremendous political controversy ensued following remarks Lott made on December 5, 2002 at the 100th birthday party of Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina. Thurmond ran for President of the United States in 1948 on the Dixiecrat (or States' Rights) ticket. Lott said:

"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."

SlamClick

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:59 am

"You keep same-ing when you ought to be changing"
- Nancy Sinatra

The GOP status quo cost them my vote, and that of my wife in '06. I do not disagree with a conservative view on most issues but the party does seem to have been hijacked.

I guess I'll have to get used to saying "President Clinton" again. I had gone along thinking that Hilary was the one and only way the Dems could screw themselves out of the Whitehouse in '08. Now the Repubs come along and make a huge move in her favor.

Hey Dubya, I think your "architect" forgot to put in a sewer.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

GuitrThree

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:03 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
Instead of looking for new ideas, they turn to old, stale, bigoted ones. How quaint.

You know, I hate to disagree here... BUT...

If you look at the Republicans NOW -vs- when Lott was in charge, well, who won when? I HATE to say this, but under MY Senator's leadership, Mr. Frist, the Republicans lost their way, spending out the whazoo, no big plan on immigration from the Senate, not making tax cuts permanent, and the corruption scandals of late, it's no wonder why some Republicans are saying, "lets go back 4-6 years ago when we were unstoppable" -vs- what we had the last 4 or so years...

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 3):
"Tremendous political controversy ensued following remarks Lott made on December 5, 2002 at the 100th birthday party of Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina. Thurmond ran for President of the United States in 1948 on the Dixiecrat (or States' Rights) ticket. Lott said:

"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."

And that is NO WAY worse than what Howard Dean said about Republicans filling a room with African Americans ONLY if the wait staff was there...

or Charlie Wrangle, just the other day, "Who the hell wants to live in Mississippi,"

Or Robert "KKK" Byrd being a leader of the KKK.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

texdravid

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:21 am

Showing that the Republicans in the Senate didn't learn a thing by ousting Lott for his 1940's-type remarks a few years back, and not learning a thing from the election just passed, they put in old bigot Trent Lott back into Leadership.

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/...15309990002?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Unfortunately, Falcon is right on this one. Republicans in Congress sure didn't get the message from voters last Tuesday, because bringing back Lott is an absolutely horrible decisions.

Let's count the ways:

1). Greasy pol with no morals, ethics or principles.
2). Spends like a drunken sailor.
3). Does too much back-room maneuvering and arm-wristing in smoke-filled rooms, and again has no bedrock principles.
4). Allows Democrats to pin the crook angle on the Republicans for another election cycle.

I have browsed the right wing blogosphere (where I live other than A.net!!) and everyone is up in arms on this.

Again, a horrible decision and one that the Hill Republicans will live to regret.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

GuitrThree

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 9):
Again, a horrible decision and one that the Hill Republicans will live to regret.

I guess we will see.. but as I said before, Frist wasn't any better, and Lott's opponent this time was, again, MY other Senator, Lamar Alexander, and while he's far from being a Rhino, he's no more conservative than Frist... we would have had more of the same with him..

BTW.. Lamar's signature is on my UT Diploma... love him to death, but I don't think he'd be any better than Frist on this issue...

OU812

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:35 am

The only regret I have is that the republicans gave in to the lib dems & allowed Lott to be ousted . I'm happy to see him back !

But look at this ???  eyebrow 
See what Murtha was doing in 1980 ? And Pelosi wants this guy as a top dem !!!

rotfl 

http://www.aei.org/publications/filter.all,pubID.25140/pub_detail.asp

Choosing Murtha Is No Way to Start the Most Ethical Congress

It is a Jan. 7, 1980, video taken by the FBI during the Abscam sting, and it shows Murtha meeting with agents disguised as Middle Eastern businessmen running an outfit they called Abdul Enterprises and offering cash for political favors, including asylum for one posing as an Arab sheik. They offered $50,000 in cash to Members of Congress for helping them, and a number of Members took the money eagerly. One Senator and six House Members ultimately were convicted of charges including bribery and conspiracy.

Murtha was one of the lawmakers targeted by the FBI. He ultimately was not charged after he cooperated with the FBI and helped implicate some of the other Members. The ethics committee voted along party lines not to bring ethics charges against him--causing the panel's special counsel, E. Barrett Prettyman Jr., to resign in protest. Murtha since has talked proudly about how he resisted the offers of cash for favors, portraying himself as a hero.

OU812

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:42 am

Go & read it for yourself !

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=10426

Special Report
The Full Transcript From January 7, 1980

Published 9/29/2006 12:06:09 AM
Editor's Note: This is a transcript of the full Abscam investigation video of Congressman John Murtha's January 7, 1980 meeting with undercover FBI agents. The agents are posing as representatives of wealthy Arab sheiks willing to pay to obtain asylum in the United States. The times listed below follow the timestamp on the screen.

Warning: This transcript contains adult language.

[Initial entry, 09:04:54-09:06:02: Amoroso preps the video.]

VOICE OFF SCREEN: Go ahead, Tony.

AMOROSO: This is Special Agent Anthony Amoroso, Jr., Federal Bureau of Investigation. Today's date is January 7, 1980. Location: a townhouse, in Washington, D.C. In a short while, I am expecting a meeting between myself, Mel Weinberg, Howard Criden, and U.S. Congressman John Murtha. In front of me is $50,000 in five packets. Each packet contains $10,000 in $100 bills. I am placing this money in the desk drawer directly in front of me. This money will remain in such position until the termination of my meeting, which is to take place later on this morning.

[Beginning, 11:44:00]

[Clockwise around the room: FBI Agent Tony Amoroso undercover as "Tony DeVito," Philadelphia attorney Howard Criden, Congressman John P. Murtha, and Mel Weinberg, the "sting man."]

[11:44:00 - 11:51:27: Conversation about finding developments for his district, cheap hotel recommendations, and mining.]

AMOROSO [11:51:27]: Sounds like this would be a good way of, if we invest of helping you out in a position that we want you to take with us, by saying, "Hey, this is why I'm standing up for these people..."

CRIDEN: Exactly.

AMOROSO: "Is that there's investment"

CRIDEN: That's exactly what we're talking about.

MURTHA: That's exactly what I have to have. In other words, I've gotta have a key to be able. I've been so involved in these things that I -- and I've talked to Howard in some length about this -- you've gotta have a key. And the key is, as long as it's in my district, I don't give a shit what extent we have to go to or what length, and everybody else feels the same way. So we gotta have something in the district...

texdravid

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:53 am

As much as Lott and the GOP want to shoot themselves in the foot, I agree that Murtha and friends are the best enemies to have, as Murtha is a toxic brew of arrogance, unprincipled corruptness, and is the "boy toy" of Nancy Pelosi!

"Abscam" Murtha, what a joke!
Good ole boy Lott, what a joke!

Washington makes me ill.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

PSA53

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:57 am

I've said this before.The close timing of racist comments by both,Trent
Lott and basketball star Shaqille O Neal,had me made come to the conclusion
about the hypocrites in the media.

Race Ideological thinking:
Forgiven=Democrats
Unforgiven=Repubilicans,please resign.

The media are racists.

Even Bill Walton said out of concern during a telecast
in regards to the timing of both Lott and O'neal remarks.
"Either you have a policy or you don't"
Both men are guilty. Why is O' Neal still allowed on the floor?
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

GuitrThree

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:00 am

To you Dems...

in ALL SERIOUSNESS...

who would you have wanted to put in charge of the Minority Party of the Senate??

Trent Lott has shown results (elections), but I understand why he isn't all that popular..

So who?

Lamar Alexander?
John McCain? (He's too busy running for Prez)
Arlen Specter?

Who would be a GOOD GOP leader in the Senate?

MD-90

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:54 am

1). Greasy pol with no morals, ethics or principles.
2). Spends like a drunken sailor.
3). Does too much back-room maneuvering and arm-wristing in smoke-filled rooms, and again has no bedrock principles.
4). Allows Democrats to pin the crook angle on the Republicans for another election cycle.

Um, that's pretty much everyone in Congress except for Ron Paul, R-Texas.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:31 am

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 17):

Arlen Specter.
Work Right, Fly Hard

N1120A

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:50 am

Quoting OU812 (Reply 11):

Quoting OU812 (Reply 12):

Nice work finding unbiased sources there Libturdslayer  sarcastic 

OU812

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:58 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
Nice work finding unbiased sources there Libturdslayer

You actually think the Liberal media is going to report this ? NOT !

N1120A

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:05 am

Quoting OU812 (Reply 21):

I hadn't looked on the Daily Koz today Libturd.

Confuscius

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:12 pm

who would you have wanted to put in charge of the Minority Party of the Senate??

Lincoln Chafee
Olympia Snowe
Susan Collins
Ain't I a stinker?

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:38 pm

So did the conservative media:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,229573,00.html

So, what's your point?

And can you do better for a handle than an old Van Halen Album?
Work Right, Fly Hard

andessmf

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:45 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
Nice work finding unbiased sources there Libturdslayer

Since when is a video, that is easily found for those who care to look for them, biased?

Quoting N1120A (Reply 22):
I hadn't looked on the Daily Koz today

First day you miss it? Or did they also not report it?

I have checked a few sources and found no direct evidence of corruption leveled against Lott.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 3):

Where in the statement is there a racist component? And what are you suppossed to say at a person's 100th birhtday celebration?

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 19):
Arlen Specter.

The way you have behaved politically lately makes me believe that it would not take long for you to later find something horribly wrong later with him. And Falcon, don't disappear from other discussions when your opinions conflict. After all, success in Iraq is a LOSS for Iran.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:46 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 25):

If he screws up, I'll critisize him.

And what are you talking about with the second part?
Work Right, Fly Hard

L-188

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:51 pm

The issues that cost Lott his earlier leadership position where so much horsepucky it was unbelievable.

I for one am glad to see him moving back into the leadership.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

andessmf

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:51 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 26):
If he screws up, I'll critisize him

Making my point exactly, you'll find some reason to dislike him.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 26):
And what are you talking about with the second part?

http://www1.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1435658/

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:57 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 28):

So, if he didn't screw up, I coudln't critisize him? Uh, OK.

And you showed me, really, nothing with the Iran thread. Nothing at all. Get a grip, dude.
Work Right, Fly Hard

andessmf

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:53 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 29):
So, if he didn't screw up, I coudln't critisize him?

Let me see, if he didn't screw up, you couldn't criticize him. I still don't know exactly what you mean. But all I can say is you have done this, and this is from watching you for months.

GOP does it = Bad
Dems do it = Good

Example, as stated above, Iran. A success is Iraq would weaken the mullahs in Iran. You are not happy with the way the mullahs are acting. But at the same time, you are in complete and utter disagreement with what happened in Iraq, even though its success would be an utter defeat for a system (Iran) you vehemently oppose. You are going polar on us, going at 180 degrees, oppossing things which you should normally agree with just because its coming from a party you dont agree with.

It is pretty obvious from some recent threads, specially about the John Murtha one, where a group that you agree with opposes him. Your answer was: "Sounds like GOP sour grapes on here". When you could have had the chance to show that at least you are not a partisan.

OU812

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:41 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 24):

So did the conservative media:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,229573,00.html

So, what's your point?

And can you do better for a handle than an old Van Halen Album?

Good Morning  biggrin 

Oh look , a happy liberal !  sarcastic 

What's my point ? While it was the DNC's main talking point of the election [corruption] . Miss Pelosi is attempting to install a corrupt politician at the top of their party just days after the election . They have Murtha on tape considering taking a bribe !!!

rotfl 

Pure hypocrocy !

Falcon84
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:07 pm

Quoting OU812 (Reply 31):
Oh look , a happy liberal !

I'm a happy PERSON, dude.

Unfortunately, you're entire being is revolving around terms, not people-they're "liberal" or "conservative", not people to you.

Well, I'm a happy person who happens to be on the center-left of the political spectrum. You are a confused person, on the far right, who has to put everyone into nice tidy categories so your mind can comprehend things.
Work Right, Fly Hard

allstarflyer

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:13 am

Instead of looking for new ideas, they turn to old, stale, bigoted ones.

thumbsdown  One step backward, two steps backward. Wait! Wait! I mean, one step forward, two steps backward. Wait, wait, that's not it!! I mean . . .  Wink .

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 13):
Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 17):

Arlen Specter.

Single-bullet Specter?

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 17):

Lincoln Chafee

thumbsdown 

-R
Dick Lugar
Jim DeMint
John Thune
Living the American Dream

UALPHLCS

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:19 am

I see Democrats can forgive, Gerry Studds for boinking an underage page. They can forgive Jack Murtha, or Alcee Hastings. They can forgive Barney Franks.

They can forgive Robert Byrd who did MORE than just make an insensative remark, He actually wore the sheets.

Intersting double standard Falcon84, care to explain how you reconcile your apparent lack of indignation at the Democrats I mentioned, while getting your panties in a wad over Lott?
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

cfalk

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 28):
I see Democrats can forgive, Gerry Studds for boinking an underage page. They can forgive Jack Murtha, or Alcee Hastings. They can forgive Barney Franks.

They can forgive Robert Byrd who did MORE than just make an insensative remark, He actually wore the sheets.

Intersting double standard Falcon84, care to explain how you reconcile your apparent lack of indignation at the Democrats I mentioned, while getting your panties in a wad over Lott?

You just put it all together better than I could.

I look forward to our resident Dems defending the double standard.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Superfly

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:06 am

Picking Trent Lott as there Whip was a dumb idea and this guarantees the GOP minority status for quite sometime to come.
Yes, Trent Lott helped the GOP win in past elections but after his praise of Strom Thurmond’s racist past destroyed most of Trent Lott’s credibility.

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 11):
To you Dems...

in ALL SERIOUSNESS...

Richard Lugar
George Voinovich
Chuck Hagel
Pete Dominici.
Those guys are conservative but respected on both sides of the aisle and have way more class than Trent Lott.
I wish Alan Simpson was still in the Sanate.

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 10):
I've said this before.The close timing of racist comments by both,Trent
Lott and basketball star Shaqille O Neal,had me made come to the conclusion
about the hypocrites in the media.

Are you serious?
You mean to tell us that you take remarks by a dumb over-paid athlete as serious an elected leader?
Shaqille O'Neal can make as many stupid remarks as he wants but it has no bearing on our lives.
Trent Lott is a U.S. Senator and makes decisions that affect all of us. I don't know about you but most Americans would have serious issue with someone with his set of values having that position of power.
You can still win in Mississippi with those set of values but not in the rest of the country. Virginia and Montana voters proved that last week.
Bring back the Concorde

UALPHLCS

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:47 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 30):
his praise of Strom Thurmond’s racist past destroyed most of Trent Lott’s credibility.

How does Robert Byrd maintain his credibility with Democrats (especially the the African American Democrat voting block) when he was a grand wizard in the KKK?

Please explain why Trent Lott's credibilty is DESTROYED by minor comments in comparison to Byrd's ACTIONS, while Byrd's credibility remains intact. Ah, I see Byrd has a (D) while Lott has an (R) and THAT makes all the difference doesn't it?

[Edited 2006-11-16 17:48:14]

N1120A

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 31):
How does Robert Byrd maintain his credibility with Democrats (especially the the African American Democrat voting block) when he was a grand wizard in the KKK?

Actually, he was an Exalted Cyclops  Wink

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 31):
Please explain why Trent Lott's credibilty is DESTROYED by minor comments in comparison to Byrd's ACTIONS, while Byrd's credibility remains intact. Ah, I see Byrd has a (D) while Lott has an (R) and THAT makes all the difference doesn't it?

The difference is that Bob Byrd renounced his racist roots a long time ago, much like the way Hugo Black did long before joining the Supreme Court. Byrd has repeatedly appologized for his short-sighted, misguided past while Trent Lott essentially said we would be better off in the days of segregation less than 4 years ago. Even Strom Thurmond had long renounced his past by then and Lott was still stuck in the past.

andessmf

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):
misguided past while Trent Lott essentially said we would be better off in the days of segregation less than 4 years ago

Like I said, and have received no response, this remark was made during the 100th birthday celebration for Strom, a moment when the remarks will only be praise, regardless of their rightness.

Welcome back!

UALPHLCS

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 32):
Byrd has repeatedly appologized for his short-sighted, misguided past while Trent Lott essentially said we would be better off in the days of segregation less than 4 years ago.

And then Trent Lott apologized for the short-sighted statement.

Hmmmm.

Would it have been better for him to have claimed it was a joke and angrily denounce critics as "stuffed suits" and "doughy" like Kerry did?

I'm just trying to figure out what Democrats do to be forgiven that Republicans need to do.

UH60FtRucker

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:04 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 1):

I think what a lot of you are forgetting is that Senator Lott is a very effective parliamentarian.

Everyone is so focused on attacking/defending him, no one is asking "WHY"

The whole impetus behind this move is simple: Senator Lott will effectively hamstring the Democratic senate for the next two years. His skills, and his knowledge of legislature procedures, will allow the Republicans to put road block, after road block, before for any piece of legislation passing through the senate.

The guy might be a closet racist, but he's no Tom Delay. The problem with Tom Delay was, he never was smart enough to "out-whit" the Democrats, so he did it the only way he knew how: he cheated.

Senator Lott won't make that same mistake. Face it, he's not going to make the same ethical gaffs as Delay, nor will he be stupid enough to make the same racist remarks. He is GOOD at what he does, and the Democrats would be wise to start devising a plan of how they're going to contain him - if only to minimize the damage he could do.

The man is a threat to your political agenda. I wouldn't be so concerned about his racial remarks. And I wouldn't be hoping he makes the same mistakes as Mr Delay. So whining about it, or hoping he trips up, is not gonna solve your problem... you're gonna need an actual plan.

-UH60

PS: See OU812, THAT is how you debate. Name calling and mud sling is for hacks.  Yeah sure

[Edited 2006-11-16 18:08:33]
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

cfalk

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:09 am

Yes, Trent Lott helped the GOP win in past elections but after his praise of Strom Thurmond’s racist past destroyed most of Trent Lott’s credibility.

Strom Thurmond was a racist, but he was also someone who supported a strong and vigorous national defence policy. He was one of the moving forces behind the massive resources put behind technological developments that in the space of a decade produced the finest armed forces in the world in the 50s and 60s, not to mention the by-products that resulted, including jet airliners, space travel, nuclear power stations, the Interstate highway system.

Considering that Lott was speaking in 2002 and the context of what he was talking about, I think it's pretty clear that Lott was speaking in admiration of Thurmond's support of the military and active defence, not of his views on racism.

But of course the left chose to ignore the context and make it look like Lott wanted a return to segregation. We don't mind. It's what the left do. You don't blame the dog for pissing on your tire - that's what dogs do. We need to be extremely careful to avoid anything that might be slightly ambiguous.

Example:

Winston Churchill: "Never has so much been owed by so many to so few."

Leftist translation: "The poor masses are indebted up to their ears to fat cat bankers."

A little exaggurated, but that's the general idea.

But when someone like Kerry has a freudian slip and insults the military (and has a pretty consistant record of demeaning military personnel), that's ok.

OU812

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:07 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 35):
The whole impetus behind this move is simple: Senator Lott will effectively hamstring the Democratic senate for the next two years. His skills, and his knowledge of legislature procedures, will allow the Republicans to put road block, after road block, before for any piece of legislation passing through the senate.

Agreed,
IMHO, it was the beginning of the end for the GOP when the dems were able to oust Lott & ended the party which held my respect . Of coure , I was upset by the fact that the GOP allowed this to happen . Well , they certainly paid for it !

PS: See OU812, THAT is how you debate. Name calling and mud sling is for hacks.

Thanks for the advice . I'll just use reply 55 as a guide line .  sarcastic 

wink 

Superfly

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:17 am

Everyone is so focused on attacking/defending him, no one is asking "WHY"

Thanks for bringing that up. I wont even waste my time with the others defending him because if they still have to ask, they'll never fully understand.
Anyhow, Lott may have all of the legislative skills but so do the others that I listed in my answer to GuitrThree's question.
To me it seemed like not to many of the GOP's best & brightest were interested. So they ended up with picking the lowest hanging fruit.
The only thing we can do at this point is wait & see. Many of the above here were saying that the GOP will keep the Senate. That didn't happen.
Also it was not just "the left" that forced Trent Lott to resign. President Bush and other of Lott's Senate collegues asked him to do the same.

In the next election cycle, I doubt Senator's Coleman, Smith and Collins want to be linked to Trent Lott when they have to face the voters in there state again.

AndesSMF:
Thanks for the welcome.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

andessmf

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 38):
AndesSMF:
Thanks for the welcome.

You're welcome! Good to have a different point of view as well.

I wont even waste my time with the others defending him because if they still have to ask, they'll never fully understand.

My ears are open for your take and why.

cfalk

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:41 am

Here's more proof that the Democrats desire to make Washington less corrupt is just hot air.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...itics/congress/fin_dis/h000324.pdf

This is Alcee Hasting's financial disclosure. He lists his net assets as less than $15,000, but owes millions of dollars!

Now I have hired and managed people and if I find out that they are heavily in debt, I do not let them in sensitive positions. The temptation to get into compromising positions, accepting bribes or engage in other forms of corruption might be too great, and any good manager will refuse to take that risk and either fire the person or put him in a position where he can do no harm.

Add to the fact that this guy has already been convicted as a corrupt judge that sold favorable sentences for up to $150,000 per pop.

Not only do the Democrats welcome him, but now he's going to be heading up committees on terrorism and intelligence, handling top secret material.

Sorry, but this guy is a HUGE security risk. If the Chinese, Arab terrorists, or anyone else shows up with a suitcase full of cash in return for top secret information, he has proved in the past that he can be bought.

And democrats seem to have no problem with that.

Shame.

Superfly

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 39):
My ears are open for your take and why.

Oh boy.
I guess I have to give a crash-course in US history but I dont have the time right now. In the mean time, how about doing some research on both Strom Thurmond and Trent Lott's past. Perhaps that will give you a better understanding as to why President Bush asked him to step down.
Bring back the Concorde

andessmf

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:58 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 41):

I did my reading on Strom last night, and frankly found interesting information about him. At least he treated his first daughter fairly well, and his family never denied her.

As for Trent, I could not find anything that would overtly back up the claims that he was/is a racist.

OU812

Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:33 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 41):
Perhaps that will give you a better understanding as to why President Bush asked him to step down.

What about Richard KKK Byrd ? Why haven't the Dems asked him to step down ???

boggled 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005/06/18/AR2005061801105_pf.html

A Senator's Shame
Byrd, in His New Book, Again Confronts Early Ties to KKK

By Eric Pianin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, June 19, 2005; A01

In the early 1940s, a politically ambitious butcher from West Virginia named Bob Byrd recruited 150 of his friends and associates to form a chapter of the Ku Klux Klan. After Byrd had collected the $10 joining fee and $3 charge for a robe and hood from every applicant, the "Grand Dragon" for the mid-Atlantic states came down to tiny Crab Orchard, W.Va., to officially organize the chapter.

As Byrd recalls now, the Klan official, Joel L. Baskin of Arlington, Va., was so impressed with the young Byrd's organizational skills that he urged him to go into politics. "The country needs young men like you in the leadership of the nation," Baskin said.

cfalk

Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:53 am

Quoting OU812 (Reply 43):
A Senator's Shame

I think we've learned by now that Democrats have no shame.

OU812

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 44):
I think we've learned by now that Democrats have no shame.

Not to mention the Liberal media !

While I was browsing the internet . I happened on a [recent] CBS article regarding Martha . Not one word mentioned Murtha's involvement in Abstact .

Sickening !

vomit 

GuitrThree

Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:35 am

Anyhow, Lott may have all of the legislative skills but so do the others that I listed in my answer to GuitrThree's question.

That's why I love 'ya fly.. you acually answer my (and others) questions with what you honestly think!! You're wrong, of course, but at least you answer.

Where've you been? I can't believe I didn't tell you this... it's too late to fly in, but tonight, (11/16/06), it's 80's night, and the Nashville Predators are giving away a 1987 Town Car to the person best dressed in an 80's outfit... you'd win hands down!!! And besides that, its $2 beer night...

Ohhh... Me and the 'Fly at the hockey game, with you driving an '87 Town Car back to CA... what a picture that would have made...

N1120A

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:16 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 33):
Like I said, and have received no response, this remark was made during the 100th birthday celebration for Strom, a moment when the remarks will only be praise, regardless of their rightness.

So what. He shouldn't have made the remarks in the first place. He should have thanked Mr. Thurmond for his service as a senator and his ability to overcome his past to become a much better human being, not wished that segregationist Strom should have been elected.

I think what a lot of you are forgetting is that Senator Lott is a very effective parliamentarian.

Actually, I included that in a very early response.

UALPHLCS

Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:56 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 47):
He shouldn't have made the remarks in the first place.

Hmmm. Do you feel the same way about Kerry?

cfalk

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 48):
Hmmm. Do you feel the same way about Kerry?

Of course not. Kerry was misinterpreted. Lott meant every word.

signed,

N1120A  Wink