IFEMaster
Topic Author

My Dead Cat Came Home...WTF!?

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:47 am

A few weeks ago, I posted this thread about my cat being killed by a coyote, and us finding her remains in the woods behind our house.

Turns out they weren't her remains. Despite the fact that her collar and tag were nearby, and the remains were the same colour fur.

How do I know this?

She came home last night! My wife and I had been out to dinner, and we got home at about 9pm. I had some stuff in the car I needed to unload, so while I had my head buried in the back, I heard a loud and pitiful meow. I recognized it instantly, so did my wife. We looked at each other as if to say "that's impossible, it can't be!", and then we saw two little green eyes appear under the garden gate followed by a very skinny and weak Casio!

Of course, we're over the moon. After the sadness and grieving of losing our favourite cat, she comes home 3 weeks later without a scratch on her. It's completely amazing. We took her to the animal hospital this morning to have her checked out, and she's fine. We think she was locked in somewhere with no way out and nobody to hear her cry. Wherever it was, there was water, because she's not dehydrated. She probably ate some bugs, but she's very skinny and weak. She eats a little every hour or so, and the doctor said it will be a few weeks before she's up to scratch again.

It's funny, I said to my wife about a week ago how great it would be if after all this time she just came home. Of course, I put it all down to wishful thinking and we never discussed it again. In this case, our wish came true.

Anyway, so many of you offered kind words of support, so I thought you'd like to know the happy ending to this story.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

NeilYYZ

RE: My Dead Cat Came Home...WTF!?

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:54 am

That's great news! Always sad losing a pet, it's great that this time your cat wasn't lost, just temporarily relocated.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

ZBBYLW

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:58 am

Hey i dont bielive i replied to your first thread cause, well i did not have an account back then but we have had cats for many years, and i konw how hard it is to loose one tragically, that aside, i am really happy for you guys that Casio came home, enjoy your time with her.
Keep the shinny side up!

Queso

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:59 am

Well, she's down to 8 now!

BMIFlyer

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:20 am

Great news man, hope the kitty gets well soon  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Bobster2

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:31 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Thread starter):
the happy ending

But why did Casio leave her collar and tag near the remains? Perhaps she was planning to send you a ransom note demanding cash, but for some reason you never got the note and she eventually gave up? There's more to this than Casio is telling you. It's a catspiracy.  Smile
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

searpqx

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:39 am

Great news! Very few happy endings like this outside of Hollywood, and its wonderful you got to experience it.

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 5):
There's more to this than Casio is telling you. It's a catspiracy.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Jpax

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:04 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 3):
Well, she's down to 8 now!

I was about to say that!

Great news to hear! Big grin

stlgph

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:26 pm

Time to start a "post-a-picture-of-your-once-presumed-dead-animal-thread"
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

NIKV69

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:45 pm

Great news! Owning an indoor/outdoor cat myself I get worried when he doesn't come back right away. Great ending to your story.

I hearby hijack this thread into posting a pic of your cat! Cats only!

Here lies Beetlejuice.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/905683/beetle.JPG
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

andessmf

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:56 pm

Congratulations! That is great news.

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 9):

I have the same here, but the dog protects her, and she knows it. And lately she has been nothing but a love. And a mouse catcher.  biggrin  Posted a thread as to how the wife reacted when she found it.

UH60FtRucker

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:11 pm

Reminds me of a cartoon I loved when I was a kid, "The Cat Came Back."

Man - I wish my wife's cat would take off. The freakin' hair ball is a waist of flesh.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

kbfispotter

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:34 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 11):
Reminds me of a cartoon I loved when I was a kid, "The Cat Came Back."

I remember the song from when I was much younger, but never knew it was a cartoon. Very funny...

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

TedTAce

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:45 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Thread starter):
our wish came true.

Merry Christmas  Wink
This space intentionally left blank

Lucky42

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:53 pm

Glad to hear it....I was never a cat lover but I am now....I have two..

zippyjet

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:11 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 1):
That's great news! Always sad losing a pet, it's great that this time your cat wasn't lost, just temporarily relocated.

bouncy  bigthumbsup 

I love hearing great news especially cat related!

Not to sound preachy but, I hope Casio now becomes exclusively an indoor kitty!

We all have enough shit on our plate not to have to worry about our pets roaming the great wide open.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

johnboy79

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:21 pm

I hope you didn't burry the remains in an old indian graveyard. If so, you're in a world of trouble.  Wink

Anyway, It's great that you have little Casio back safe and sound. My old roomate had two cats, Peaches and Tequila. I live by myself now and I miss them sooooooo much. I'm not allowed to have pets at my new apartment.  Sad
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

IFEMaster
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:42 am

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, it had us confused. We were 100% certain the remains we found were Casio. They were recent remains, and what with her collar and tag nearby, it wasn't hard to put the two together. The collar is a quick release kind, so if it gets snagged on something, the catch releases and the cat doesn't choke. So I guess Cassie must have got herself in to some kind of mischief that caused her collar to release, and then she bolted and hid out somewhere, probably got locked in a shed or garage or something. Either way, it's SO good to have her home.

As for Casio becoming an exclusively indoor cat, there's no way. She's already going crazy about the fact that we're not letting her outside. So, she will go out with our other 3 cats, but my wife and I will become more diligent in watching where they go, and making sure them come in before we turn the lights out.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

David L

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:55 am

Unbelievable! Great news.  biggrin 

legoguy

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:50 am

Brilliant! Glad to hear Casio lives on.

Just one question... did you bury the remains of ther other cat?
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

JGPH1A

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:52 am

Hmmm - are you sure it's the same cat as you had before ? Maybe it's involved in identity theft, and scragged your cat to take its place.

(X-Files music plays in the background)
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

learpilot

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:13 am

Maybe she ate the other cat after getting her collar knocked off and then killing the other one... http://audiofiles1.jerryseinfeld.nl/JPeterman_cat_fight2.wav

[Edited 2006-11-16 19:15:08]
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

pawsleykat

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:38 am

Good to here your cat came home. My mum's cat Tiggr went missing once for 3 months and we presumed him dead, and then one day, he just appeared in the bag yard. I'm sure you're over the moon about Casio being alive.

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

cumulus

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:09 am

Ever see the film Pet Cemetary? I'm sorry, but put it down or you'll die.....  Wink
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

Bobster2

Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:38 am

I agree with identity theft as the best guess. Casio must have figured the other cat had credit cards or a rich owner. She killed the other cat, took its ID, and left hers at the scene of the crime. Casio has too much street smarts to be an indoor cat. Let her out and just be greatful she doesn't kill you too. You can eventually write a book, similar to what OJ did: "How my cat could have done it".

Smile
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

dl021

Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:06 am

DUde....that's terrific!

Unless there's a pet sematary near your home....then you need to watch out....
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

davestanKSAN

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:36 am

That's crazy and freaking cool. Congrats on getting Casio back  bigthumbsup  All the best to you guys!!!!! Big grin

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!