LH526
Crew
Topic Author

Witnessed A Person Dying

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:31 am

Did you ever witnessed a person dying?

On tuesday I arrived in my architecture faculty building, and found the usual spot, where students and professors tend to meet, have a late and talk, totally deserted. Only thing I saw was a couple of Doctors struggling to bring a man (who I recognised as our janitor) back to live, giving him mouth to mouth and heart massage. Nadine, a friend allready told me that "something happened, possible stroke" ... so I braced myself on what I was about to see on my way to class. The students mood was rather dull as you would expect, class was over and I walked across the building to see my other Prof. Imagine our faculty building as a big 6 storey house with a large inner court that stretches over 3 levels. Down there was the coffee bar and that was where he was lying, so everytime you passed the courtyard, I heard a constant "shlang ..... beeeeeep" from the Defibrilator.
I went out of my last class only to find five exhausted MDs sitting on the stairs and a white blanket on the dead mans body .... a view I doubt I will ever forget.

Today the spot is filled with students again, the body lied exactly where every body cued up for a coffee ... strange feeling for everyone! A candle and white lilies where set up for him on that spot. May he rest in peace!

You see deaths and killing everyday, we all have played ego shooter games, but being hit by death so closely is so weird, usually people die in bed or during accidents, he just had a stroke and lied there for over 1 hour with the doctors literaly fighting for his life.

I'm not to deep an emotional character, but it hit me what I saw!!

Mario
LH526
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

NeilYYZ

RE: Witnessed A Person Dying

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:45 am

I've seen four people die, three as a lifeguard (no I was not at fault) and then one two years ago when I was working, I was cutting the grass on the boulevard at an apartment building at a busy intersection and a man jay walked across the street and was struck, very sad.

I'm not emotional either, and I must say, that what bothered me most was the gentleman who was walking across the street, the people that died while I was lifeguarding I found out later were not in great health, however, the man walking across the street was just so sudden and unexpected. I dealt with them all though, once you accept that people are going to die, and as long as you do all that you can to help them (if you're in a position to do so), then you can come to peace with it eventually.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Sabena332

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:46 am

Quoting LH526 (Thread starter):

Yes, during I made my civil service in a hospital. I witnessed a reanimation of some old guy, unfortunately it wasn't successful.

You see deaths and killing everyday, we all have played ego shooter games, but being hit by death so closely is so weird

I know what you mean, it is definitely something different when you're directly affected by it than seeing some death people on TV or in a PC game.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

MDorBust

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:46 am

If it ever stops hitting you, it's time to start seeing a counselor.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Springbok747

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:48 am

Yes. In an accident in 2001. Even though I wasn't involved in it, my cousin is a paramedic and when the accident happened he instinctively rushed in to help. There wasn't much anybody could do, he was a bike rider hit by a truck...the poor guy died there even before the ambulance could arrive. I didn't actually see him die, but he died there...so yeah technically I can say I saw him die.
אני תומך בישראל

Jpax

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:54 am

My ten year old brother. Cancer can rot in hell. Then going to the funerals of other children we met during his treatment. Seeing 8-10 year olds in caskets wears you down... it is just not fair. Not fair at all. Then seeing all those kids on the oncology floor and knowing many of them wont be around at the same time next year...  crying 

ANCFlyer

Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:57 am

Too many . . . .

Some I knew, some I didn't.

First person I saw die . . . my cousin, in 1975, when the motorcycle he was riding crashed into the back of my Mother's car and burst into flames.

After that, probably too many to recall accurately.

In Desert Storm, one of our troop picked up an UEX . . . unexploded ordnance. It detonated.

In 1981 in Germany, a tank crewman was crushed between the fronts of two tanks. He was standing in the wrong place to move two tanks together. One tank didn't stop in time.

In my previous line of work, the US Army, death while not pleasant, was not unexpected.

In my current line of work, it happens, usually vehicle accidents. Sometimes you get there on time, sometimes you think you got there on time.

One thing I haven't witnessed yet . . . the death of a child. Not sure how that would affect me.

And I've run across plenty of death after the fact. Accidents, suicides, etc. Got a call to a location along the TAPS (Trans Alaska Pipeline) couple years ago. Thirty Five year old woman, dead, at milepost 56. She and her husband and 10 year old son had been out canoeing. The were carrying the canoe back to their car - about a mile - when she collapsed. It was an hour to get to the scene. Alyeska Pipeline Security had beaten me there - they have a Pump Station 2 miles away. She was dead long before Alyeska Securty showed up.

I was visiting my first wife at her office at the Personnel Center at Ft. Knox back in 1985. As we were talking, a few feet away one of her troops suddenly collapsed. She expired right on the floor in plain view of everyone, even those of us that had Combat Life-Saver qualifications. The paramedics arrived within minutes, but she was definitely gone. Had expelled herself, and and absolutely no sign of breathing and cardio function. The CPR had been useless. The Paramedics tried, but as I said, she was definitely gone. Young girl too. Later determined to be an unidentified heart problem.

but it hit me what I saw!!

Please, don't take this wrong, but after a while - if you have to deal with this sort of thing "routinely" it'll not bother you as much. Of course, you will always wonder about the person. About their life, their family, their goals and ambitions. Then, you'll move on.

My sympathies LH526 . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Aeroflot777

I was about 14, like 2 hours outside Moscow in our country home. As usual all friends get together toward the evenings and spend their time together. We go to the riverbank, sit for a few hours talking, there are about 20 of us. All of a sudden we hear 2 cars zoom by us heading toward the next village on the road which is like 5 minutes away. About an hour later, we decide to go down the road to pick up some friends who live quite a ways away. Then all of us see the two damn cars from earlier come out of the corner behind us and start speeding. Thankfully all of us just jump to the side of the street, and get out of the way. However, ahead of us, another separate group was walking. It was about 11pm, but it was quite light because of the summer months. After the cars zoomed by us, we notice that they are failing to stop in front of the group in front. Most of the people there see the car and get away, but don't have enough time to tell their two friends who are backward-facing towards teh car squatting down on the street.
Then, right in front of our eyes, the car decelerates just a little, and WHAM runs over the two ladies on the street, then fly out a little. The car stops, a man gets out, looks at then and yells. "Don't worry those bitches will survive!"
And he drives away. Unfortunately, the two women were lifeless. One woman's skull was cracked open with blood oozing out, the other was disfigured nearby.
One of the most terrifying moments of my life.
Because the villages are so spread out, and have to hot water or electricity, there was a lot of chaos when the sky became dark. News untraveled pretty quickly over to our village (population 30). Grandmothers, mothers ran out, crying, yelling. The next vilage is a good 20 km away, and has the same population. Ambulance came about 45 minutes later. I couldn't stay, the scene was simply too horrendous.

Their burial was about a week later, RIP. They were the owners of the house right in front of our, which to this day a few years later, just stands dark. Pretty eerie thinking about it in my head every time I go to bed there in the dark.

Eeekk. Shivers going down my spine just remembering all this...

Aeroflot777

P.S. Those damn bastards were thankfully caught, and thrown into jail for a few years!

Springbok747

Quoting Jpax (Reply 7):
My ten year old brother. Cancer can rot in hell.

Ouch..sorry to hear that mate.
אני תומך בישראל

Aeroflot777

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:04 am

Quoting Jpax (Reply 7):
My ten year old brother. Cancer can rot in hell. Then going to the funerals of other children we met during his treatment. Seeing 8-10 year olds in caskets wears you down... it is just not fair. Not fair at all. Then seeing all those kids on the oncology floor and knowing many of them wont be around at the same time next year... crying

Damn dude! I'm very sorry to hear that man... Truly devastating!

Sad Aeroflot777

fbgdavidson

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:06 am

My wife was involved in a serious car accident just over a year ago and spent a number of weeks in Neuroscience ICU. We spent around 12hrs per day in hospital and heard a number of people of dying during our time there, it was quite disturbing...something I won't forget in a while  Sad
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Pope

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:08 am

I held my father's hand as he died from cancer.

It was the second most moving experience of my life next to the birth of my daughter.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

turbonytro

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:33 am

Death is a tough deal. Statistics show that 10 out of 10 people eventually die. Hard thing to witness though.

Duff44

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:35 am

I've never actually witnessed a death, but have come close on four different occasions:

- I saw a man having a seizure (I'm assuming) on a Boston street one day walking home from class. He was completely unresponsive, but was breathing when the paramedics arrived.

- My father was in the ICU after a triple bypass, and had an allergic reaction to a medication they were giving him while I was in his room.

- A co-worker stopped breathing from an acute asthma attack (or something similar to it.. I never heard the full explanation) and needed to be rushed to the hospital.

- Another co-worker had a heart attack right outside my cube, and they need to de-fib him multiple times to get a pulse.

I don't know what happened to the seizure victim, but the latter three all survived.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

JAGflyer

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:36 am

I know how hard it must have been. I witnessed an accident where a car got hit while pulling out of a parking lot by an oncoming car. The car was not damaged so I thought everything (the man and his wife) would be ok, the guy would walk away and just have minor bruises. I left the store to go home and check something and came back an hour later to which I saw the car door had been opened and there were green sheets draped over the open car/door. I knew what that meant. 10 minutes later a CORONER hearse showed up. The man had probably had a heart attack from the accident. No blood, just a heart attack which ended the guy's life fast.

[Edited 2006-11-16 03:47:15]
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

Mir

Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:39 am

Quoting Jpax (Reply 7):
My ten year old brother. Cancer can rot in hell. Then going to the funerals of other children we met during his treatment. Seeing 8-10 year olds in caskets wears you down... it is just not fair. Not fair at all. Then seeing all those kids on the oncology floor and knowing many of them wont be around at the same time next year...

That gives me chills just to read it. My condolences to you.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Halcyon

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:05 pm

Well, an undisclosed amount simply because I'm an EMT. While a lot of people questioned whether or not I could handle it at such a young age, I proved I could and am not worse off for it.

I did a thread a while ago about jobs and gave some descriptions of it, as did everyone else of their jobs. Right now in college I am not employed as one, but I'll be working over Xmas break on night shift (yay fun, I'm gonna freeze up there in MT).

Sadly, my last patient died and I never knew her name. We got her to ER ad she just went downhill fast. There was nothing we could do, and we finally gave up at 30/? .

I felt sorry for that lady particularly because she died away from everyone she knew (apparently from the Seattle area) and I never knew her name. It was also the first time I've ever let a patient go who was still trying to live, but there was nothing we could really do. Intubation was a mess, her mediastinal area was all torn up internally...we would have used all sorts of blood and still lost.

Anyway, I was kind of sad that my last patient before college died while in the charge of my crew and the anesthesiologist, but when the Doctor French my Med Dir got there he told us we made the right choice. However, we gave her a good chance and she tried hard.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):
One thing I haven't witnessed yet . . . the death of a child. Not sure how that would affect me.

I've never had a child in my charge when this has happened, thank the Lord...quite close in a car wreck before I left, but not quite. Really made me pissed at the mom for not making the kid buckle. Also, I must admit that I feel sick every time we get a call for a baby...it's been fine every time so far, but one of these days I'll be less lucky.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 8):
Please, don't take this wrong, but after a while - if you have to deal with this sort of thing "routinely" it'll not bother you as much. Of course, you will always wonder about the person. About their life, their family, their goals and ambitions. Then, you'll move on.

This is very true. The thing about it, for me, as a person who tries to help people, is that it makes me realize how important life is. I now feel more love for my girlfriend than I ever could have before this time. To a lesser extent I worry about people more, but if I thought about it it would eat me up, so I don't.

Death is a tragic thing, but you realize that it's natural. Once you've seen a bunch it becomes a process, and as long as YOU don't feel that you're at fault for the death it is fairly easily handled. Death no longer "bothers" me per se. It makes me think more and appreciate life more.

However, all of this is based on deaths of strangers. If a friend died I could handle it, but if someone in my family died, I'd...well, I'm not arrogant enough to think that I would not be brought to my knees. However, even then I'd be able to adjust better to what had happened.

Personally, one reason I'm able to handle it (cliché and religion haters need not read) is due to my religion. I believe in an afterlife and believe that life is a journey. To me, life is the seed from which the flower sprouts, but, death is for me not always bad, as it can be when the flower finally blooms and unfurls into the sun, so to speak. (cliché over).

Life is a beautiful thing, and death is a part of it. Coming to grips with death will give you a better appreciation of life and help you to love it more.

Lastly, I really think that course in EMS should be offered as part of school curricula at more schools, as it gives you an understanding of the beast and helps you cope with it.

Well, my post is over!

Lucas

PS-For all of my fellow A.netters who have experienced grief, I wish you a fast recovery and mush love ahead of you in your life.

tz757300

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:22 pm

This may not be so extreme to everyone, but I the only death I've ever witnessed was brief. My great-grandmother was ailing away at the hospital and I knew that she didn't have the longest time to live. I was just with her one night, just holding her hand and telling her everything is going to be alright, when it happened. Just passed away right there, hand in hand. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with, but I'm glad she died with family around with her at the time. Its really devastating just to think about it, but I'm glad it was as painless as it could have been, just lying there and just slowly drifting to sleep.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

UH60FtRucker

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:39 pm

I've seen both bad guys and good guys die. Friends and enemies.

What amazes me is how gracious a lot of them become in their final moments. There is no anger. There is no pettiness or no"Hey Aharon, tell my brother Joe that I still hate him." - Instead there is calm desperation to get one's affairs "in order." They want their wife to know he will always love her. They want their parents to know they weren't afraid, or their brother to know they're sorry they didn't spend enough time together.

I think the most heart breaking was when a good friend of mine said, "Tell my son that I am so sorry that I am going to miss his soccer games. Tell him he's my hero and to watch over his sister and mother. Tell him I am sorry he had to become a man so early in his life." I carried his casket onto the back of the C-17.

I will always be awed by how gracious people can be, even though they know they're slipping away. Amazing.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

AsstChiefMark

Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:58 pm

A 7-year-old boy died in my arms. His mom's boyfriend beat the shit out of him because he peed his pants.

I've seen hundreds of people die. I've been able to cope. But this situation is different. The death of this boy has haunted me for the past three years. I'm afraid.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

tz757300

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:12 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 21):
His mom's boyfriend beat the shit out of him because he peed his pants.

That has got to be one of the worst things I've read in a very long time. Did the boyfriend ever go to jail?
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

AsstChiefMark

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:16 pm

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 22):
Did the boyfriend ever go to jail?

Yep.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

mdsh00

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:19 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 5):

I don't think so. Medical professionals, law enforcement, and the military have to deal with it all the time. After a while, it hits you less

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 21):
A 7-year-old boy died in my arms. His mom's boyfriend beat the shit out of him because he peed his pants.

Awful. Asshole things like that make you feel really sad for humanity.

As for me, I didn't witness it face to face but in high school I volunteered in the hospital and saw a man code. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful. I know I will be seeing a lot of people die in my future profession though.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

beefstew25

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:24 pm

In high school I witnessed a fellow student drive his motorcycle into the gym wall. He was going about 70 MPH or so (so said the cops). Brutal.
MLB: Where you are always number one for takeoff.....

SlamClick

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:25 pm

Just three months out of high school. Stood by helplessly as a girl, a friend from HS with whom I'd spent most of the day, died of massive head injuries from a really stupid single-car accident. I don't ever again want a night like that one. Not one year has passed from that day to this when I haven't remembered it when the date rolled around.

Since then, I've maybe seen a couple dozen, mostly in plane crashes and in combat. Sometimes I've gone over to help, sometimes not. One of the last I didn't approach the crash because of downed powerlines between me and the burning airplane. A county sheriff prevented anyone from trying to help the burning pilot - and rightly so. More would have died if anyone had been allowed to approach the plane. It is bad and if you are a decent, sane person it should never get easy.

My ex neighbor is a trauma nurse and a flight nurse on the local ambulance helicopter. I have nothing but awe and admiration for what she does. She is stronger than I am by far.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

alaskaqantas

Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:55 pm

Quoting Turbonytro (Reply 14):
Death is a tough deal. Statistics show that 10 out of 10 people eventually die. Hard thing to witness though.

true

when I was 12 (currently 15) I witnessed a lady jumping from the 5th floor of our local mall in ANC, the 4th Avenue mall, the centre part of it is cut off and she ran and jumped from the food court at the top and I was stitting on the edge of the 2nd floor looking at the christmas decorations when she went flying pass me and landed right below. This shook me quite a bit, it was the first suisidal person I had ever seen in real life kill themselves. Security ran down to try and revive her, but all I can remeber is how she looked like jello as they were trying to get her back alive. luckly the bottom floor of the mall is pretty lifless so no one else was hurt.

My grandfather just passed away about a week and a half ago, we found out that he had 12 hours to live on halloween night, but being up in ANC we couldn't get out tell the next morning. he held in for about 26 huors and when we got to LAX we were crossing fromt he domestic terminal to the international terminal and we got the call that he had passed away while we had been flying from SEA-LAX.
we got down there and the first day we went and saw him at the funeral parlor in his remu coffin. He didn't look anything like I rememerbed him. He was pale and didn't look like the granddad that I remembered seeing a few months ago. then on Sunday they braught the coffin to my nanas house and my dad and his siblings opened it and he was there over night until the next morning when we had the funeral service. I got to read somthing there, which was nice.

this last weekend we went out by lake taupo and put his ashes just off of a road he had build in his younger days and we spread his ashes under an old remu tree. He was a logger and it was what he would have wanted... I still don't like the idea of bringing the body to the house, I mean all the body is at that point is a shell.. I would rather remember the memories of him while he was alive and had his wits about him.
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

Lucky42

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:03 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 20):
Tell my son that I am so sorry that I am going to miss his soccer games. Tell him he's my hero and to watch over his sister and mother. Tell him I am sorry he had to become a man so early in his life." I carried his casket onto the back of the C-17.

This statement makes me wonder if going into Iraq was ever worth the enormous loss of life.

beefstew25

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:15 pm

Quoting Lucky42 (Reply 28):

This statement makes me wonder if going into Iraq was ever worth the enormous loss of life.

Except we have a volunteer army. Way to interject politics.
MLB: Where you are always number one for takeoff.....

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:15 pm

Two instances:
1) Seeing my grandma in her last week at the nursing home (wasn't there when she passed away; was back home in Georgia finishing my last week of my senior year in high school)
2) Driving down I-75 in Ohio coming back Cedar Point last August. We passed an accident where the trailer of a semi-truck had ran over a small car. The fire fighters were cranking up the Jaws-of-Life as we drove past (Less than a couple minutes later, we heard on the radio the expressway going southbound had been shut down. We made it past just in time). They were cutting the driver out of his/her seat. However, we heard later on the news that evening that the person died on the way to the hospital. Ironically, IIRC, the other passenger in the car was treated and released, but I wouldn't swear to that.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

APFPilot1985

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:43 pm

Just 2 weeks ago for the first time actually, my grandfather had a massive heart attack and went down at his clubhouse, EMS was able to revive him once they arrived but he was comatose and never came out of it. We decided to take him off the ventilator and i was holding his hand when he did eventually pass. Without a doubt the hardest thing i have ever done.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

Continental

Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:52 pm

Working in an emergency department, I see it from time to time.

Jetsgo

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:21 pm

I myself have never seen someone die, but I did witness one close encounter. One night while at work, two people started fighting outside. A few of us ran out there and broke it up. One party left, the other stayed and came inside to eat. About 15 minutes later, the other party returns. This time, he is armed with a crowbar. He comes inside, finds the other party, and comes up from behind and wacks two of them across the head. Needless to say, those two were completely out. Of course this stopped the entire shift. So we had about 4 associates and several customers attending the wounded. Meanwhile, six of our larger males and a few brave/dumb customers, armed with some unique burger making equipment chased the man outside and tackled him down. Police arrived within minutes and the guy was off to jail. I later read in the news he was charged with something along the lines of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill and/or attempted murder.

Anyway, I do know someone very special who I would like to mention to you guys. She is my mother. She is a hospice nurse. And for those of you who know what a hospice nurse is, you will know she is a true angel. How anyone can do this work is beyond me.

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

fr8mech

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:23 pm

A problem we have is that we don't expect people to die when competent professionals are attending them. TV, movies, etc. show us the heroic EMT/physician/paramedic/good samaritan performing CPR or shocking a patient and then... a cough... the eyes flutter... a deep breath... and everyone is high fiving everyone else with the patient joining.

I've performed CPR 6 times, 2 times with a shockable rythym. One survived to tell about it, after about a week in the hospital. The only reason he survived was because he was young, fundamentally healthy and someone was instantly available to perform competent CPR. It helped that we were 1 block over getting sliders at the White Castle after a fire.

Learn CPR. Learn it well.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

j_hallgren

Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:58 pm

Yes...my Mom...9:38pm on 6/1/02...right across the table from me...collapsed in the chair and that was it...paramedics tried, but I kinda knew it was hopeless...she was 84...but still full of life...still hurts SO bad, as she was last of my family...  Sad
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

flyingbabydoc

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:46 pm

Too many, unfortunately. Many a time I had to be the one to call and stop the resuscitation process. Others during surgery, mostly trauma. And then my oncology patients.

It does. I remember the first time, I was a med student still and "lurking" around in the trauma unit. There was a resuscitation in progress for a patient who had multiple GSW to the chest. After a while, it was clear that nothing could be done and he expired. It was a funny feeling, seeing that body there, knowing that a few moments before he was alive and now there would be no reaction, ever again. But then you get used to it after a while.

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 3):

I respectfully disagree. After many deaths, you begin to realize that it is an inevitability in life and actually a part of the natural process. You realize that you can try everything you possibly imagine, but sometimes it is not enough. Then you start to accept it. Otherwise, we all (docs) would go crazy...

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):

It is a horrible thing, particularly the young ones because of trauma (Car accidents, and so on). It still bothers me a lot, thank God they happen so seldom. But one I tell you: they are seldom afraid, usually children are much braver in facing death (the ones that already grasp the concept) than the adults. But hard to accept - that is why my particular field is oncology - I will fight for this children as long as I can.

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

cumulus

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:01 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 19):

He died as a result of the beating? If this is the case I hope the boyfriend is in a 6ft prison cell with the guards "turning a blind eye" when he gets the same.
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

RichardPrice

Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:15 pm

Quoting Jpax (Reply 5):

My ten year old brother. Cancer can rot in hell. Then going to the funerals of other children we met during his treatment. Seeing 8-10 year olds in caskets wears you down... it is just not fair. Not fair at all. Then seeing all those kids on the oncology floor and knowing many of them wont be around at the same time next year...

I feel for you.

My mother has Chronic Lymphatic Leukaemia with a Bilateral 13Q deletion, which essentailly noone has seen before so the treatment is currently a case of hit and miss.

She has her checkups, treatment and consultations at Bristol Childrens Hospital, because leukaemia is statistically a childhood illness and they have the best doctors for the illness in the UK.

It breaks both her and my hearts when we go down there because she has to wait in the ward with the children, who are all in varying stages of the same illness and you just know that some of them wont be there on the next visit.

So you have my sympathies.

Thomson735

Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:36 pm

I dont think you can ever not be touched by death in some way or another

My mother used to be Doctor and one day a small 7 year old boy came in, he had been underwater in a swimmingpool for some time he was purple and blue, they tried for a while to save him but it was no good, and eventually they realised the boy was gone.

It affected all of the Hosptial staff working on him that day, even though some of them, my mother included had been in the profession for 25 years or more

Regards

LTU932

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:02 am

I have never seen anyone die, but I know people who have died. The death that affected me the most was that of my maternal great grandmother. The last time I saw her, she was in the final stage of dementia, with her mind being that of a baby and not being able to function at all. It was a horrible sight, seeing her this helpless. Nowadays I wonder, if she, despite her mental capacity at that time, wished to die. I think I couldn't have been able to see her die when she did and I'm fortunate that I've never seen anyone die, especially because death is something that frightens me a lot.

KPDX

Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:57 am

Very sad guys, of course death is part of life.  Sad I have witnessed two deaths.

Back in 2000, RIGHT in front of my house, a motorcyclist and car collided head on going fast, the motorcyclist's body was almost in my front yard!  Sad

July 16 of this year, I watched a Hawker Hunter stall and crash (no ejection) at the Oregon Airshow, I had just got done talking with the pilot because he was gonna takeoff and go home. He was very nice, and talked about how much he loves flying!  Sad

KPDX  Smile
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

EasternSon

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 18):
"Tell my son that I am so sorry that I am going to miss his soccer games. Tell him he's my hero and to watch over his sister and mother. Tell him I am sorry he had to become a man so early in his life."

I'm actually teary-eyed.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

jamesbuk

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:42 am

Not long ago, maybe 3 months when i was on holiday in Malta near a dock it was about 2 in the morning and i was up alone and was on the balcony, I head someone shouting "Helllllloooo" like as if they were drunk and went out on the balcony and was shouting, anyway this was going for 10 mins, then a coast gaurd boat turnt up, was searching for half an hour. The next morning i was told this guy had drowned.

rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

IFEMaster

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:46 am

Twice.

When I was 11, my dad suffered a massive heart attack. I watched him die in the ambulance. 4 minutes later, they got him back.

When I was 19, I was in church, and the preacher finished his sermon, and then literally dropped dead in front of everybody. There was a doctor in the church, and he started to resuscitate, but it was no good. By the time the ambulance arrived, it was too late. The scary thing, he had preached on living for the moment as you never know when God would call you home. Turns out God called him home right after delivering that message.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

shamrock350

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:17 am

Last winter it was a very cold and frosty morning with some light snowfall the night before the roads were very dangerous and at 7.00am the busses were packed! I and a few friends were standing at the very front of the bus near the driver. My school is on a slope so usually the busses go down the hill at quite a speed and even with the bad weather and ice on the roads we still went down the hill at speed. Suddenly out of the fog a car appeared it had stopped in the road and the driver slammed on the brakes but due to the ice we just slid down the road and hit the car, sending it into someone’s front garden sadly an old lady was leaving her house at the time and she was pinned in between the smashed car and her house. We were all taken off the bus and walked to school. We were later told that the lady had died from her injuries and the road would be closed for the rest of the day. At lunch I walked up near the police tape and saw the ambulance take her away.

bagpiper

Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:40 am

I witnessed one while driving down to Florida on I-75 in Georgia. A car crossed the grassy median, hit a 18-wheeler head on, and got crushed underneath it. We actually saw the body being ejected out of the car after it got crushed by the truck.

One other time, driving home from running some errands, a car was over the side of the road. The EMTs were there, with a teen girl on a stretcher. We saw them puting the white sheet over her. Just then the mother drove up, too, in hysterics.

Obviously I did not witness this one, but:

I knew the FA on that delta MD-80 flight where there was an uncontained engine failure, and the fan blade sliced through the cabin. The FA was able to communicate a few words back and forth to the woman who was hit by the fan. That was a while ago, and being quite young then I don't remember how the FA was doing after that flight. She moved soon afterwards, though.

[Edited 2006-11-16 19:43:11]

Jpax

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:05 am

Thank you to everyone for your kind words, I appreciate it. I am so sorry for your losses as well, but I am sure you are all probably sick of hearing 'sorry', too.

November 11 was his seven month anniversary. I don't know where time has gone...  Sad

MD11Engineer

Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:27 am

Some years ago I had a man die under my hands. It was a very hot summer day and I was out with my at this time family and some friends of my ex at a lake west of Berlin in the middle of rural Brandenburg.
We were about to go home when a very overweight man standing close to us suddenly complained about pain in his chest and being sick. He turned pale and suddenly collapsed. His wife panicked, but a few of us around tried CPR, I was doing the cardiac massage, while a friend of my ex was taking care of the wife, who was getting into our way, trying to hug her husband. But because he was so fat we couldn't get any air into his lungs, at least not without a laryngoscope and tracheal tubes. Even the life guards only had an oxygen bottle with a face mask in their station at the lake (In Germany only doctors or especially trained paramedics are allowed to insert tubes, it is not considered basic first aid).
They called an emergency doctor, but since the lake was in a quite remote location in the middle of a forest it took 20 minutes for the ambulance with properly equipped paramedics and a doctor to reach the scene. When the doctor arrived, he just had a look and shook his head, upon which we moved the man on a stretcher and carried him into the life guard's hut.

I think this man's death came due to very much overweight (it needed four strong man to carry the stretcher), a very hot day and the consumption of plenty of beer. I don't know if he was a smoker as well.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi