texdravid

John Edwards Gets Busted On Walmart

Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:19 pm

Our ambulance chaser in chief, John Edwards, got caught being a huge hypocrite yesterday with regards to Walmart.

http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs....rticle?AID=/20061116/APF/611162631

The "Breck girl" is a sham and a loser, and is prima facie evidence of the disconnect between what a politician says and what they do in their private life.

Hey Edwards, life is NOT contorting yourself like a baby and putting on a show to win a sleazy settlement against obstetricians in North Carolina. By the way, breck girl, how much of those millions you "won" for your clients did you pocket?

He is an absolutely repulsive figure.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

halls120

RE: John Edwards Gets Busted On Walmart

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:43 am

Quoting Texdravid (Thread starter):
Our ambulance chaser in chief, John Edwards, got caught being a huge hypocrite yesterday with regards to Walmart.

http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs....rticle?AID=/20061116/APF/611162631

The "Breck girl" is a sham and a loser, and is prima facie evidence of the disconnect between what a politician says and what they do in their private life.

Hey Edwards, life is NOT contorting yourself like a baby and putting on a show to win a sleazy settlement against obstetricians in North Carolina. By the way, breck girl, how much of those millions you "won" for your clients did you pocket?

His explanation for the "mistake" is laughable.

Quote:
"My wife, Elizabeth, wanted to get a Playstation3 for my young children. She mentioned it in front of one of my staff people. That staff person mentioned it in front of a volunteer who said he would make an effort to get one. He was making an effort to go get one for himself," Edwards said.

"Elizabeth and I knew nothing about this. He feels terrible about this. He made a mistake and he knows he should not have used my name," Edwards said.

Taking the above at face value, I find it laughable that the Edwards' are now saying it was a "mistake." Why would Mrs. Edwards talk about the PS 3 in front of the staff person unless she expected him/her to get one? And the paid staff member who mentioned it to a volunteer wasn't smart enough to 1) tell the volunteer not to use Edwards' name in the attempt, and 2) if he expected to use the name for influence, didn't tell the volunteer NOT to go to Wal Mart.

Sleazy politics as usual.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Slovacek747

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:47 am

haha democrats are an absolute joke. Good one edwards

Slovacek747

MattRB

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:51 am

So some over-achieving staffer overheard that the Edwards' kids wanted a PS3 and took it upon themselves to round up a volunteer to go fetch one?

Big deal. Slow news day?
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

Pope

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:54 am

Quoting MattRB (Reply 3):
So some over-achieving staffer overheard that the Edwards' kids wanted a PS3 and took it upon themselves to round up a volunteer to go fetch one?

She didn't "go fetch one", she used the man's name in order to avoid waiting in line like the rest of the people.

Just one more example of the "do as I say, not as I do" hypocrisy of the liberal elitist.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

bagpiper

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:05 am

Quote:

"The retailer issued a written statement Thursday accusing Edwards of not wanting to wait his turn. 'While the rest of America's working families are waiting patiently in line, Sen. Edwards wants to cut to the front,' the Wal-Mart statement said."

haha good one walmart! I'm glad they aren't supporting this "I'm better than everybody else" attitude so many politicians seem to have.

So I guess Edwards does not want to shop at walmart because of the low wages, bad working conditions, etc?

In all honesty, if walmart really is not staff-friendly, or doesn't pay their workers enough, or whatever some people get their panties in a wad over, if it was really true, then nobody would be working at walmart! Obviously the benefits are enough for the people who staff the stores, and just the fact that the workers are working there on their own accord should be proof enough that walmart is a perfectly good store! If the pay isn't good enough, then, well, the workers would quit. Besides, I highly doubt that the greeter or cashier pay check had the origional intention of being able to support a family. Its a good post-retirement job, or a good summer job for kids.

Also, boycotting walmart, it seems to me, will just lower their profits and make them drop a lot of workers in order to stay in buisness, or cut their wages more. So, then they will get blamed for cutting jobs and wages?

Besides, I bet the general public will shop where the prices are the lowest, and not worry about all this politics.

But no need to listen to me - I'm just a 16 year old kid who doesn't know much.

[Edited 2006-11-17 17:11:44]

FlyingTexan

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:06 am

"Elizabeth and I knew nothing about this. He feels terrible about this. He made a mistake and he knows he should not have used my name," Edwards said.

Earlier Thursday, Edwards had said in a statement e-mailed by spokeswoman Kim Rubey: "We instructed no one to contact Wal-Mart on our behalf."

Edwards said the volunteer was "a young kid" unaware of what he called flawed Wal-Mart policies. He called the Wal-Mart statement an effort to divert attention from its own problems.

Quoting MattRB (Reply 3):
Big deal. Slow news day?

Yea, slow news day.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

jaysit

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:32 am

Hey Edwards, life is NOT contorting yourself like a baby and putting on a show to win a sleazy settlement against obstetricians in North Carolina.

But life IS about contorting oneself like a baby and putting one's hatred on display on A.net like you do. Guess its yet another prozac moment down in Tumbleweed county, Texas.

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):
Just one more example of the "do as I say, not as I do" hypocrisy of the liberal elitist.

Great. Now the "do as I say, not as I do" anti-abortion Republicans like Bob Barr, John Fund and countless other moral values stalwarts who've aborted their unwanted and embarassing proto-offspring can show those PS3 hounding liberal elitists who the REAL hypocrites are!!!
Atheism is Myth Understood.

stlgph

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:46 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 1):

Quoting Slovacek747 (Reply 2):

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):

Hot air hot air and hot air. Then again who could expect anything less from you people?

People from staffers to personal assistants to whomever name drop all the time and quite often without that person even knowing in order to get their job done and please their employer.

A few weeks ago a few folks from Senator Jim Talent's camp (Republican - Missouri) kept calling and calling the agency I was working at to get a boatload of tickets for the St. Louis Cardinals Stadium Pep Rally long after they had sold out. Seven different people called about eleven different times and the language and tone they were using....so full of "love they neighbor" values, let me tell you. Gosh, them Republicans are an absolute joke I tell ya!
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

texdravid

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 7):
But life IS about contorting oneself like a baby and putting one's hatred on display on A.net like you do. Guess its yet another prozac moment down in Tumbleweed county, Texas.

Ah, the majestic, compassionate legal mind of A.net returns. I guess that to a seasoned counselor like you insulting John Edwards for his dubious qualities and his comical hypocrisy here is like insulting one's mother. But have no fear, you will always come far out in front on the issue of "hatred" on these boards. After all, it is part of your job, while mine is one of compassion and helping those who are sick. You litigate, I operate. You sue, I cure.
Guess its yet another whiff from the "sage" of D.C.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 7):
Great. Now the "do as I say, not as I do" anti-abortion Republicans like Bob Barr, John Fund and countless other moral values stalwarts who've aborted their unwanted and embarassing proto-offspring can show those PS3 hounding liberal elitists who the REAL hypocrites are!!!

Again, sorry I have to correct your facts. I have been pounding the Republicans mercilessly on hypocrisy with regards to personal behavior. I have called them on it way before these recent elections.

Again, sorry I have to correct your assertions, but I share no love with the religious/evangelical/theocratic wing of the Republican party. I believe they have hijacked the party and the party will continue to lose until they are shunned. I have, unfortunately, once again shown how ridiculous your casual comments about me are.

Thanks for your input and do try again.

bagpiper

Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 8):
Seven different people called about eleven different times and the language and tone they were using....so full of "love they neighbor" values, let me tell you. Gosh, them Republicans are an absolute joke I tell ya!

Well, yes, that was wrong in my opinion. I am a republican, too. But, you know what? Everybody here makes mistakes. I'm not trying to make excuses for the republicans; like I said, what they did was wrong. (but it seems like the liberals get a lot of excuses.)

jaysit

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:00 am

Whatever the chain of events, this is a source of embarassment for John Edwards (remind me who he is again?). Political beings who create such situations for themselves have only themselves to blame for not ensuring that their staffers employ common sense.

That having been said, these things happen all the time. Zealous staffers who are trying to get in the good books of their political bosses will often do ridiculous things. And I doubt if Mrs. Edwards, who is an honest gem of a person would resort to such tactics to get this contraption. Certainly, John Edwards who as a top notch attorney has dealt with conflict issues would not have given the green signal for this to proceed, locked as he is in a battle against Walmart. As an attorney, the first issue you address in any case is a conflicts issue. It's ingrained in you, and Edwards as a very successful attorney would have exercised this in almost a Pavlovian manner. Or he certainly should have.

jaysit

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:19 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 9):
After all, it is part of your job, while mine is one of compassion and helping those who are sick. You litigate, I operate. You sue, I cure.

LOL. LOL. LOL.

On, now I've heard everything.

You're a regular Florence Nightingale. I'm sure Ms. Nightingale wore her hatred on her sleeve too.

And I'm sure like Ms Nightingale all you get paid for your efforts are the undying love and prayers of your patients. You know, like all those BMW driving, McMansion living Indian American doctors.

Besides, hon, I don't know if some hot and sexy lawyer chick dumped you and left you in a puddle of tears and a perennial hatred of attorneys, but not all of us spend our lives chasing after incompetent doctors (or dump doctors after a hot and heavy romance). My job, for instance, entails litigating against drug companies who resort to antitrust tactics and patent evergreening to keep the prices of their drugs sky high, and chaperoning drug companies through the regulatory and legal red tape of federal agencies like the FDA and the EMA to get their products approved.

So, see, we work with you, rather than against you. Life is far more complex than you make it out to be.

texdravid

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 12):
And I'm sure like Ms Nightingale all you get paid for your efforts are the undying love and prayers of your patients. You know, like all those BMW driving, McMansion living Indian American doctors.

Sorry, again, but all I get for my practice is either no pay (35-40%), OR Medicare (40%). Only a few actually have insurance. So, please refrain from confusing my intellectually and clinically challenging, yet monetarily unrewarded practice with the guys you have a crush on, like Dr. 90210 or the ilk.

Besides, hon, I don't know if some hot and sexy lawyer chick dumped you and left you in a puddle of tears and a perennial hatred of attorneys

Once again, please refrain from using examples of your personal liasons with me. I dislike lawyers because they are either sleazy snake oil salesman like John Edwards, or enablers and apologists for them. Judging by your high praise for Edwards and his wife, I take it you are the latter. I, on the other hand, disavow myself from any unscrupulous, unprofessional activity by any person. I am still waiting on your condemnation of Edwards.

Thank you.

texdravid

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:45 am

So, see, we work with you, rather than against you. Life is far more complex than you make it out to be.

Well, I wish you would work with me on this site. I believe, beneath it all, we agree on a lot of things, like (I think) low taxes, the free markets, and a love of personal freedom. In other words, government out of our pocketbooks and bedrooms.

We could build a grand coalition of the socially liberal and economically conservative people in this country. I invite you to try with open arms.

aloges

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:47 am

Besides, hon, I don't know if some hot and sexy lawyer chick dumped you and left you in a puddle of tears and a perennial hatred of attorneys

Hmmm... I like that style! Even though I study med.

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 14):
Well, I wish you would work with me on this site.

Texdravid, you post "stories" like the above, bash "those damn libruls" in just about every thread I've seen your posts in, do so with absolutely vile aggression and you expect people to work with you?
This story would also have been a non-issue had it been on a Republican, you know that - maybe it'd be worth "working with you" if you provided something people could work on for a change.

[Edited 2006-11-17 18:54:16]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

VSlover

Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:53 am

i honestly dont get what the problem is here. so his noteriety was used to gain a playstation...so what?

if i wanted to, i could call in a favor and get a playstation...thats life. if you dont use the advantages provided to you, well you are the fool.

and those that complain, well thats a shame....go out and meet people and maybe one day you too can skip the line.

halls120

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 8):
People from staffers to personal assistants to whomever name drop all the time and quite often without that person even knowing in order to get their job done and please their employer.

But in this case, chain of events began with former senator's wife talking about how they were looking for a PS3 with a staffer, and the staffer talking about getting a PS3 with the volunteer.

Unless the staffer's job description includes acting as a personal shopper for the former senator and his family, I'd say this person was working outside their scope of employment.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 11):
That having been said, these things happen all the time. Zealous staffers who are trying to get in the good books of their political bosses will often do ridiculous things.

And it is wrong, no matter how many times it takes place.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 11):
And I doubt if Mrs. Edwards, who is an honest gem of a person would resort to such tactics to get this contraption.

If she didn't realize that expressing her wishes would result in a command, while she might be a "gem" of a person, she is pretty naive.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

texdravid

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 15):
Texdravid, you post "stories" like the above, bash "those damn libruls" in just about every thread I've seen your posts in, do so with absolutely vile aggression and you expect people to work with you?
This story would also have been a non-issue had it been on a Republican, you know that - maybe it'd be worth "working with you" if you provided something people could work on for a change.

Aloges, you act as if you were a saint on these boards, and quite frankly, you're not. Fine, if you and Jaysit don't want to accept my olive branch, that's fine. It's not the first time I have extended one, might I add.

It is, however, the umpteenth time it has been rejected. Shows more about you than me.

aloges

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 18):
Aloges, you act as if you were a saint on these boards

WHAT?!? I've hardly "acted" at all during the last weeks, and now I'm a self-proclaimed saint? That's a good one!  Silly

If my feeble attempts to discuss and to mediate are arrogance in your eyes, then so be it. As for your "olive branch" theory - how can a thread opener like yours be anything but the beginning of a flame war? Allow me to quote:

How's that an olive branch? I'd really like an explanation for that as my sainty-saint mind is a wee bit too little twisted to find it myself.  duck 

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 18):
quite frankly, you're not (a saint)

I know that - hey, something we agree on!  Wink

Pope

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:51 am

My job, for instance, entails litigating against drug companies who resort to antitrust tactics and patent evergreening to keep the prices of their drugs sky high, and chaperoning drug companies through the regulatory and legal red tape of federal agencies like the FDA and the EMA to get their products approved.

Ah yes. Jay would like us to believe that he spends hours in his office at Heller Ehrman working to keep prescription drug prices low for the average joe.

http://www.hellerehrman.com/en/attorneys/bios/Sitlani_Jay.html

But what does HE's website say about their FDA practice? http://www.hellerehrman.com/en/practices/pr_fda_main.html

Quote:
Heller Ehrman has one of the largest and most comprehensive life sciences practices in the United States. For more than 40 years, we have played a pivotal role in the growth and development of innovative life sciences companies. We provide strategically focused legal and regulatory advice to pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, and food companies on a broad variety of issues arising under the complex laws and regulations administered by the FDA. Our work involves counseling in matters of regulatory compliance and enforcement, as well as representation and advocacy in administrative, judicial, and legislative proceedings. We also work extensively with the private and public financing communities on leading life sciences deals, including representation of major funds investing in the life sciences...

Our clients include large publicly traded pharmaceutical companies, private development stage drug, biotechnology, and medical device companies, and mid-size and specialty therapeutics companies, as well as venture capital companies focusing on the Life Sciences sector.

Thanks for looking out for us Jay! We can all sleep better at night.

We're Nuts

Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting VSLover (Reply 16):
i honestly dont get what the problem is here. so his noteriety was used to gain a playstation...so what?

if i wanted to, i could call in a favor and get a playstation...thats life. if you dont use the advantages provided to you, well you are the fool.

and those that complain, well thats a shame....go out and meet people and maybe one day you too can skip the line.

Most levelheaded post yet. Bush became president and he got to land on a rolling carrier deck - pretty cool, huh? But utterly pointless except to fulfill one of his desires. With power comes privilige and some people know how to work it better than others.
Dear moderators: No.

Pope

Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:34 am

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 21):
Most levelheaded post yet. Bush became president and he got to land on a rolling carrier deck - pretty cool, huh? But utterly pointless except to fulfill one of his desires. With power comes privilige and some people know how to work it better than others.

Yet it misses the point completely. The issue isn't people pulling strings to get stuff. The issue is that Edwards is on the record criticize Wal-Mart and demonizing their very existence. Yet it seems that when he needs a string pulled, he's not opposed to buying stuff from them.

Heck if I was POTUS, we'd be renaming the space shuttle NASA 1. The presidential aircraft would be a F117A and we'd go fishing off of a Los Angeles Class Attack Sub (would the be Sub1?)

halls120

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):
we'd go fishing off of a Los Angeles Class Attack Sub (would the be Sub1?)

Be hard to fish off of a sub. And the Los Angeles class are so yesterday. Might as well requisition a old boomer, so you could have more room.  Wink

aloges

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:10 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 23):
Be hard to fish off of a sub. And the Los Angeles class are so yesterday. Might as well requisition a old boomer, so you could have more room.

Could've tried the Halibut SSGN-587...  Wink

AirCop

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:10 am

At the end of the day, the whole story seems to be much about nothing.

Pope

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:12 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 23):
Be hard to fish off of a sub. And the Los Angeles class are so yesterday. Might as well requisition a old boomer, so you could have more room

Hey, I'm a man of the people. As you can see, I'm willing to fly on a 30 year old space shuttle. A fast attack sub is more than enough for me. No need to be greedy.  Wink

stlgph

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 10):

Exactly. Around here in St. Louis I see and hear people who are obviously "Republican" name drop all the time. I'm sure "Democrats" in other cities do the same thing.

Hell, I do the same thing. 95% of my freelance work comes from knowing "people that I know."

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 17):
But in this case, chain of events began with former senator's wife talking about how they were looking for a PS3 with a staffer, and the staffer talking about getting a PS3 with the volunteer.

Unless the staffer's job description includes acting as a personal shopper for the former senator and his family, I'd say this person was working outside their scope of employment.

So the hell what? A lot of times I get hired to be a "talking head" ... all I have to do is show up, read my lines, and go home, but since I know editing and camera equipment, a lot of the times I'm working on that stuff...and sound too...way outside the scope of what I am supposed to be doing or hired to do. Since you list your occupation as lawyer, I'm sure you've never gone or had a member "of your stuff" go out and get lunch, right?

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):
The issue is that Edwards is on the record criticize Wal-Mart and demonizing their very existence. Yet it seems that when he needs a string pulled, he's not opposed to buying stuff from them.

Wherever did it say he said "go buy this from Wal Mart"?

But it doesn't even matter because no matter what, people always patronize places they speak out against in disgust.

For example, I was out at a restaurant here in St. Louis last night for dinner. Patron next to me was throwing a shit fit because "she is in here all the time and never pays beyond well prices for the premium vodkas here" (nevermind she ultimately payed her bill with an American Express Black card). But anyway, she was throwing the hissy fit, then called the owner herself and praised to him about how she is in there all the time, one of her best customers, and was being charged incorrectly. Then nevermind that when her friend joined her she recommended they just get some drinks here and eat elsewhere because "the food sucks." So much for being a great customer.

As said earlier, slow news day. But if some of you want to continue making a big deal out of this, please, let me get you a knife to continue scraping the bottom of the barrel.

halls120

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:25 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 27):
Since you list your occupation as lawyer, I'm sure you've never gone or had a member "of your staff" go out and get lunch, right?

Not for me. Ever.

And when we are hosting a meeting where food is being provided, we have it catered and we pay people who are the business of catering provide the food.

stlgph

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 28):

Ah, yes, yes, of course. I'll make sure Westy puts this in his notes.

MaverickM11

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:38 am

This story seems silly, but I bet you could make a fairly solid argument that the favorite Democrat whipping-boy Walmart has done more for the Democrat base than the Democrats and unions have ever done.
E pur si muove -Galileo

FlyingTexan

Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:47 am

Are you people brain dead? Can you even read and comprehend? The linked article says:

Quoting article:

Earlier Thursday, Edwards had said in a statement e-mailed by spokeswoman Kim Rubey: "We instructed no one to contact Wal-Mart on our behalf."

Edwards said the volunteer was "a young kid" unaware of what he called flawed Wal-Mart policies. He called the Wal-Mart statement an effort to divert attention from its own problems.

?

And bragging about one's charity. Sheesh.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

stlgph

Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting FlyingTexan (Reply 31):
Are you people brain dead? Can you even read and comprehend?

you think it's coincidence the better colleges are in the blue states?

jaysit

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:31 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 20):
Thanks for looking out for us Jay! We can all sleep better at night.

I hope so. Generic zolpidem tartrate is on its way.

P.S. As a favor for you, if the medical establishment ever discovers a drug for bitterness and ignorance, I'll make sure you're on the primary cohort for clinical trials.

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 13):
Judging by your high praise for Edwards and his wife, I take it you are the latter. I, on the other hand, disavow myself from any unscrupulous, unprofessional activity by any person. I am still waiting on your condemnation of Edwards.

I actually do think that Mrs. Edwards is a fantastic person. Of course, she hasn't practiced as a lawyer for years so maybe that has something to do with her grace and demeanor. As for John Edwards, I bet he's made a ton of money suing the medical establishment, and many of his calls while perfectly legal in the strict sense of the term, aren't what I would call entirely even-handed given that the practice of medicine is often an art subject to unavoidable human error. However, for every big class action lawsuit of dubious merit he's been associated with, there are many with merit. And that is the crux of the problem here. There are so many valid cases out there that the legal establishment is wary of radically altering the laws. Plus, there is massive public pressure to keep enforcement actions going. Just look at the Vioxx cases. Most, if not all, are completely without merit, but the general public (and AARP) often get a kick out of kicking pharma companies. While some deserve it, Merck certainly didn't in this instance. But I digress.

I don't have much of an opinion on Edwards, other than the fact that I like his wife, or more likely her public persona. However, irrespective of how sleazy Edwards may or may not be, this Walmart instance you cite is pretty lame. I've seen how Congressional staffers and lobbyist types behave - they are absolute toadies and kiss-asses who will kick anyone aside and sell their mothers to keep their bosses happy. And I think that in this instance that's what happened.

jaysit

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:42 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 30):
This story seems silly, but I bet you could make a fairly solid argument that the favorite Democrat whipping-boy Walmart has done more for the Democrat base than the Democrats and unions have ever done.

I think Walmart's done more for the Republican base then Republicans and the Christian right's done as well. After all, cheap goods, health care privileges in many instances and jobs (albeit low paying ones in soulless hell-holes) don't benefit Dems alone.

Yeah, Walmart's ugly and gross and a blot on the landscape, but so are endless seas of townhomes metastazing across the suburban horizon.

The only hope for main street in small town America today is to yuppify itself with kitschy candle stores, coffee houses and inns, and hope that the schtick sells for visitors out to find a lost piece of Americana.

itsjustme

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:44 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 9):
After all, it is part of your job, while mine is one of compassion and helping those who are sick. You litigate, I operate. You sue, I cure.

What a load of crap. It's egotistical physicians like yourself who give the profession a bad name.
So tell me, oh great God of healing and curing, when your toilet backs up, who do you call? And when your car breaks down, who do you call? And when someone is breaking into your home, who do you call? Another arrogant physician like yourself? No. So, get off your high horse you snob. You put your pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else. You're 'holier than thou' self gloss is pathetic.

MattRB

Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:49 am

So, just out of curiousity, where did Mrs. Edwards or Senator Edwards ask the staffer to get them a PS3?

All the article states is that they were talking with staffers about getting one for their kids.

Seems the volunteer went and did this all on their own without any direction from the Edwards'.

But, hey, why bother to deal with the facts when it can be spun into an attack to make someone look hypocritical, right?

Nice to see Wal-Mart taking advantage of it as well.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

texdravid

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:01 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 35):
What a load of crap. It's egotistical physicians like yourself who give the profession a bad name.
So tell me, oh great God of healing and curing, when your toilet backs up, who do you call? And when your car breaks down, who do you call? And when someone is breaking into your home, who do you call? Another arrogant physician like yourself? No. So, get off your high horse you snob. You put your pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else. You're 'holier than thou' self gloss is pathetic.

Thanks for the note, police officer.

You wrote the exact same thing a few months ago. Did you just copy it or you can't come up with something new this time.

Believe it or not, I'm NOT an egotist. You wouldnt' recognize what I do from what I drive, how I speak to other people, where I live, or my tastes in music, sports, etc. I was responding to another poster who insinuated I was simply a BMW driving Indian American Physician and earning obscene amounts of money.

See, that's what you don't get....doctors aren't get rich these days and never will. I will grant you that up until the mid 90's they did and some were obscene, but I started my practice in 2003. Those old docs were greedy and arrogant and stuck up. I am nothing like the kind.

If I come across that way on the internet, then you have my deepest apologies. If you hate me just because I'm a physician and you have some deep seated anger towards me or my politics, then it is you, sir, that has the problem. I can't seem to recall how I ever wrote to you directly or addressed you in any way on these boards.

Thus, I can reasonably conclude that your diatribe is simply a rhetorical flourish designed to assuage your low self-esteem or ego.

Good day.

halls120

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:24 am

Because the store his influenced was being leveraged against is the store the former senator likes to attack for being unfair.

Quoting STLGph (Reply 29):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 28):Ah, yes, yes, of course. I'll make sure Westy puts this in his notes.

Please do. my conscience is clear on this one.

Pope

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:31 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 33):
I hope so. Generic zolpidem tartrate is on its way.

Jay are you telling me that your firm undertook the issue of getting generic zolpidem tartrate as a pro bono matter? Come on now, you did it because that's what you were hired to do.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 33):
if the medical establishment ever discovers a drug for bitterness and ignorance, I'll make sure you're on the primary cohort for clinical trials.

Now that's just not nice. Say what you want about me, but I'm probably one of the least bitter people you'll ever know. I'm a live and let live sort of person.

andessmf

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:35 am

I could go and find countless posts where BOTH sides do this.

This story would also have been a non-issue had it been on a Republican, you know that

Doubt it. Remind me again, has Foley been charged with a criminal offense yet?

Why is it even somewhat popular to bash Walmart anyways? I have shopped there, but found that other places offer me better quality and very similar prices. But for whoever wants to shop there, go right ahead.

Pope

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:52 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 40):
Doubt it. Remind me again, has Foley been charged with a criminal offense yet?

I wouldn't be bark up that tree. The State of Florida opened a criminal investigation today on Foley.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...dLoc=PolNewsHome_C2_politicsNews-3

itsjustme

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:52 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 37):
You wrote the exact same thing a few months ago. Did you just copy it or you can't come up with something new this time.

I guess that just shows that your inflated opinion of yourself and how I feel about people with ego's the size of the national debt are consistent. You start a thread about John Edwards and then see the need to insert this: "You litigate, I operate. You sue, I cure." Your profession has absolutely nothing to do with your thread yet you felt the need to remind all of us that you are a physician.
There's no need to blow your own horn Tex. Your profession is admirable. I respect health care professionals just as I respect the guy who takes my order at the local fast food joint. I am sure you worked hard to get to where you're at today but there's no need to use any excuse available to remind us what you do for a living.

andessmf

Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:59 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 41):
I wouldn't be bark up that tree. The State of Florida opened a criminal investigation today on Foley.

Ah, crap, wrong example. But the point still stands. Republicans would have been crucified for stuff like this.

texdravid

Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:24 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 42):
Your profession has absolutely nothing to do with your thread yet you felt the need to remind all of us that you are a physician

Hmmm. Just bringing up my profession brings up so much angst and anger. Again, your writing is classic window-dressing for more deep seated anger towards either my profession, my politics, or both.

Look, I don't need to insult your profession to make any points. If I disagree with you I would bring up points a-f, for example, before launching into any anti-policeman diatribes.

halls120

Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:11 am

Why is it even somewhat popular to bash Walmart anyways?

In part, it's because they come into small towns and build extremely ugly, big box stores that change the character of the city/town they build in. Then if their first store is determined to be too small, they abandon it and build a "superstore" a mile away, leaving a blighted empty box store.

You don't see people protesting Target, because they at least try and build attractive facilities.

In their defense, their prices are low. And while people might bitch about them, it doesn't stop most people from shopping there.

Except me. I refuse to shop in a store that has a "smiley face" as one of its mascots.  Wink

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 44):
Hmmm. Just bringing up my profession brings up so much angst and anger. Again, your writing is classic window-dressing for more deep seated anger towards either my profession, my politics, or both.

Hey, it could be worse. you could be a lawyer!  biggrin 

bushpilot

Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting Slovacek747 (Reply 2):
democrats are an absolute joke

Yeah that is mature.

Quoting Pope (Reply 4):

yeah because conservatives are never hypocritical...Foley...nevermind.

yeah surely they were. It was some kid, thinking he would win the eye of someone he looks up to. He took it a bit far. This whole thing is being blown way out of proportion.

Quoting Pope (Reply 22):
The issue isn't people pulling strings to get stuff. The issue is that Edwards is on the record criticize Wal-Mart and demonizing their very existence.

So if the kid went to Target or Best Buy this is a non-issue in your eyes? What I see here is a chance to bash a democrat who isnt even currently in office for the sake of bashing him.

stlgph

Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:09 pm

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 46):
Yeah that is mature.

do you expect any thing more out of him? remember, he touted himself once as being "one of the most open minded people" he knows.

make sure you read his profile.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 43):

Ah, crap, wrong example. But the point still stands. Republicans would have been crucified for stuff like this.

Come on, you're smarter than this. Go back to the original link and see where the newspaper is from where the link was taken from.

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 46):
Quoting Pope (Reply 4):

yeah because conservatives are never hypocritical...Foley...nevermind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwTMdTqtVmw

cue the first 30 seconds, please.

aloges

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:08 pm

I could go and find countless posts where BOTH sides do this.

Certainly, and it doesn't make the extremes of either side look any better.

andessmf

Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:50 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 47):
Come on, you're smarter than this.

There are some days that I myself wonder...