9V
Topic Author

What Is Scientology?

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:14 am

American actors Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes have exchanged wedding vows in a floodlit Italian castle. The wedding was celebrated by a Scientology minister in accordance with the couple's faith and attended by a host of show business stars.

All of the world's press were there.

But what the hell is Scientology?  Confused

L-188

RE: What Is Scientology?

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:18 am

Stan Marsh is the reincarnation of L. Ron Hubbard...

Seriously we would tell you but they would sue us.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Jpax

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:21 am

There is a fantastic episode of South Park that will teach you everything you need to know and more about Scientology!

EDIT: L-188 beat me to it Big grin

[Edited 2006-11-18 22:22:43]

ZakHH

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:29 am

Try to get the South Park episode "Trapped in the Closet" somewhere.
From that episode, you'll learn all you need to know about this idiotic sect.

Oops, I'll certainly get sued now...
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

BR076

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:30 am

watch this vid and you will know all about it :

ú

PlymSpotter

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:33 am

When I was in New York somebody started talking to me and a friend about random stuff and then quickly moved onto trying to get us to go somewhere to watch a video about what I gathered was Scientology. Well we were both there to look at examples of Architecture and Landscape Architecture and I remembered from the guide books that the church of Scientology in NYC was a fairly nice Art-Decco style building, so I agreed and off we went. The video was boring as hell, and it did feel very very much like I was being brainwashed - quire freaky to be honest, so I just took a few pictures of the place and left.

I don't really remember what was on the video, so obviously getting the message across didn't work very well!

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

SmithAir747

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:46 am

Here is a fascinating article in Wikipedia about Scientology:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Symbols of Scientology and their meaning:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbols_of_Scientology

The story of Xenu, the main "villain-god" of Scientology, that explains their weird beliefs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

Most importantly, the story of its founder, sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Ron_Hubbard

It tells all about Scientology: It explains the church's founder, its origins, and especially, its bizarre, science-fiction-alien-based beliefs! In short, trillions of years ago, DC-8-like spaceplanes loaded with billions of people were sent to Earth as punishment by the megalomaniac god Xenu, the people were bound and piled up in a large volcano, and H-Bombs were set off to destroy them. What survives of these unfortunate aliens are the "thetans" (equivalent to the soul). Each one of us humans has a cluster of these ("Body Thetans"). Weird, isn't it? (Especially the engineless DC-8 spaceplanes!)

In a nutshell, Scientology is a belief system that teaches that negative thoughts/entities (called Engrams) in our minds can be extracted from us by an exact methodology (auditing with the E-meter, etc), and Scientology is claimed to be a self-help organisation for helping people be aware of their "spiritual existence" over many lifetimes (a form of reincarnation, albeit a sci-fi-alien kind). It all started from L. Ron Hubbard's bestselling book, Dianetics, but is also based on the huge number of science-fiction novels he wrote.

The church is quite controversial, as was the life of L. Ron Hubbard, its founder. I read, back in the early 1990s, a big cover-story article in Time magazine all about the controversial, hidden truth about Scientology. What is most memorable to me is the cover illustration, a Dianetics-esque erupting volcano from whose base grow a set of octopus-like tentacles.

In fact, my eldest brother (whom I never met, because he disappeared before I was even born or adopted into the family) was taken in by Scientology after his service in the Navy in the Vietnam War. Mom tells me Scientology became his obsession, before he disappeared.

Now, as I live in London, I walk by the Church of Scientology's London headquarters (next to the Faraday building, near Blackfriars rail station) on my way to class every day. (They just opened this new headquarters, after moving from their Tottenham Court Road location, which is now just a branch).
When I walk by their Tottenham Court Road branch, I see their well-dressed people stationed outside on the pavement with their E-meters set up on tables (and stacks of paperback Dianetics books, handing out flyers to passersby and trying to recruit by giving "Free Stress Tests"!

SmithAir747

[Edited 2006-11-18 22:53:21]

[Edited 2006-11-18 22:55:12]

[Edited 2006-11-18 22:57:14]
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

bill142

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:54 am

Quoting BR076 (Reply 4):

Basicly what I thought all along. A complete load of BS.

You never get high up in Scientology unless your able to contribute vast amounts of cash, like Tom Cruise can. They have no fact to back up their beliefs. It's simply a social club for morons like Tom Cruise to express themselves and sound import. Like they actually have a clue. I think the money would have been better spent joining, or buying, a country club.

I have the time of day for any one of any relgion, except for scientologists.

rammstein

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:28 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 5):
t did feel very very much like I was being brainwashed

thumbsup  This is Scientology in a nutshell.
He who wishes to be rich in a day will be hanged in a day. --Leonardo Da Vinci

L-188

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 6):
DC-8-like spaceplanes loaded with billions of people were sent to Earth as punishment by the megalomaniac god Xenu,

And that is why Travolta went with the 707......too many painful memories in a Stretch-8
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

VHVXB

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 7):
You never get high up in Scientology unless your able to contribute vast amounts of cash, like Tom Cruise can

Hey lets not forget James Packer who is another

Dougloid

Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:55 am

They have a history of trashing people they perceive as enemies, although they've tried to downplay this aspect of their cult in recent years. They did have an enemies list and at least one person I knew was on it. The last word I had of one of my junior college friends is that he'd gone deep into it and was seen wandering around the subway groping the walls and saying he was clear and could hallucinate any time he wanted to....
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

mhodgson

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:10 am

In a word I'd describe it as 'bollocks'.

Interestingly, the wedding of this couple is not legally binding due to it being conducted under Scientology rules.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:11 am

Scientology is not recognised as a religion in France - it is classed as a cult, and subject to some kind of control, and (IIRC) they don't get the state funding that other religions get.

Clearly a bunch of loons.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

9V
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 13):
Clearly a bunch of loons

A bit like anet then...?
 Silly

mhodgson

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 14):
A bit like anet then...?

Perhaps - though no one has yet had an Anet wedding.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 14):
A bit like anet then...?

But as the recognised and revered Deity (I take many forms) of a.norak, I grant my blessing unto it's continued existence, as long as the minions continue to worship my wondrous fabulousness.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

MYT332

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:25 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 15):
Perhaps - though no one has yet had an Anet wedding.

LHMark and Nancy.
One Life, Live it.

David L

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:25 am

They have no fact to back up their beliefs.

That doesn't seem to have harmed many other religions.  duck 

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:29 am

Quoting David L (Reply 18):
They have no fact to back up their beliefs.

That doesn't seem to have harmed many other religions.

Welcome to the whacky world of organised religion. Actually, all the crap about Xenu and the aliens is no sillier than some of the other stuff religion would have us believe.

9V
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:30 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 16):
as the recognised and revered Deity (I take many forms) of a.norak, I grant my blessing unto it's continued existence, as long as the minions continue to worship my wondrous fabulousness

Can I have a pint of what you're drinking or a bit of what you're smoking then? When I first read that I thought AerospaceFan had been opening the biscuit tin again. Big grin

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:35 am

Quoting 9V (Reply 20):
Can I have a pint of what you're drinking or a bit of what you're smoking then? When I first read that I thought AerospaceFan had been opening the biscuit tin again.

Shhhh ! Unholy blasphemer. Do not provoke my wrath ! The good people of a.norak are just the kind of gullible idiotsdecent, simple folk to be recruited to my mind-altering cultanointed with the blessed teachings of JGPH1A (aka the Great Pumpkin, aka the Flying Spaghetti Monster, aka Xtrapolapacetl) and fleeced to within an inch of their lives guaranteed eternal bliss in exchange for their cumbersome worldly dross.

Don't ruin it for me, you heathen ! I'll have my faithful feyadeen hunt you down ! For I am a Vengeful False Deity !!  grumpy 

MYT332

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:36 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 21):
JGPH1A (aka the Great Pumpkin, aka the Flying Spaghetti Monster

No seriously, what are you smoking there?
One Life, Live it.

9V
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:38 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 21):
For I am a Vengeful False Deity !!

Ok if that's how you want to put it!

rotfl   rotfl 

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:40 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 22):
No seriously, what are you smoking there?

It is true that certain holy Chinese mung beans grant me access to the Infinite Beyond where I gather strength for my all-powerful omniscience, but these are not for the uninitiated. Only through years of meditation and study will you be ready to attain the Infinite Beyond. And besides, they were all out at Spar, and they won't be in stock till Tuesday.

MYT332

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:44 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 24):
And besides, they were all out at Spar, and they won't be in stock till Tuesday.

Hmm true, they have a buy on get one free. I assume that is your reason for coming oop north next month isn't it. You don't actually have family here!

You're an addict, an addict I say!
One Life, Live it.

PlymSpotter

Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:45 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 24):
It is true that certain holy Chinese mung beans grant me access to the Infinite Beyond where I gather strength for my all-powerful omniscience, but these are not for the uninitiated. Only through years of meditation and study will you be ready to attain the Infinite Beyond. And besides, they were all out at Spar, and they won't be in stock till Tuesday.

So in a nutshell you got stoned and slept with Cornish  duck 

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:06 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 25):
You're an addict, an addict I say!

Addicted to the worship I receive from puny mortals !

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 26):
So in a nutshell you got stoned and slept with Cornish

There isn't a hallucinogenic in the universe powerful enough to get me to do that ! That would require a complete cauterisation of the brain-stem and a gag-reflex bypass.

bill142

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:08 am

Quoting David L (Reply 18):
That doesn't seem to have harmed many other religions.

The vast majority are all theology based religions which may or may not have greater powers. Scientology is the brainchild of a science fiction writer. Go figure.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 26):
So in a nutshell you got stoned and slept with Cornish

Haven't you read his trip report about his night in paradise with buddha?

PlymSpotter

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 28):

Although I have a tough mind that takes a lot to be broken down, I knew that reading the recital of such a shocking story would tear it apart  Wink

DrDeke

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:34 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 13):
Scientology is not recognised as a religion in France - it is classed as a cult, and subject to some kind of control, and (IIRC) they don't get the state funding that other religions get.

It's similar in Germany; Scientology there is an outlawed cult. While this would obviously not be an appropriate classification for them in the USA, I feel no sorrow for a cult like that being outlawed in countries with other legal codes.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

JGPH1A

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:15 am

How do you think Buddha got that goofy smile ? I'm not just a hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional shade of the colour blue, you know.

Lazarus31

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:23 am

Quoting SmithAir747 (Reply 6):
The church is quite controversial, as was the life of L. Ron Hubbard, its founder.

Isn't L. Ron Hubbard that cereal maker???....no wait thats Dick Hubbard, the cereal maker turned Auckland mayor! anyhows i still failed to understand what the hell this so called 'religion' is when i read all the links and stuff.So i turned to this particular website...i must say its rather insightfull. Definitely worth a read for pure comic value

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Laz

[Edited 2006-11-19 02:27:17]

TACAA320

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:17 am

"Scientology is a body of teachings and related techniques developed by American author L. Ron Hubbard over some thirty years beginning in 1952 as a self-help philosophy, an outgrowth of his earlier self-help system, Dianetics. It claims to offer an exact methodology to help humans achieve awareness of their spiritual existence across many lifetimes and, simultaneously, to become more effective in the physical world. The name "Scientology" is also used to refer to the often controversial Church of Scientology, the largest organization promoting the practice of Scientology, which is itself part of a network of affiliated corporations that claim ownership and sole authority to disseminate Dianetics and Scientology."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

bill142

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:00 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 31):

How do you think Buddha got that goofy smile ? I'm not just a hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional shade of the colour blue, you know.

So Cornish managed to work out where to put it?

j_hallgren

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:52 pm

They've just about taken over a good part of downtown Clearwater FL, where I live part-time...they bought a big hotel and then other other buildings and then built a massive headquarters building (maybe two years ago)...they have their own private bus system and you'll often see a large number of people walking around downtown in their "uniforms", which sort of resemble a naval outfit, as light blue with shoulder epulets(?)...

Bunch of wacko people, IMHO...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

ZRH

Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:51 pm

They call it church, but in fact it is a criminal money making machine.

VonRichtofen

Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:25 pm

I think L Ron Hubbard was doing it as a joke. I bet even he didn't believe anybody would believe anything so far fetched...

jwenting

Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 5):
I don't really remember what was on the video, so obviously getting the message across didn't work very well!

that's what brainwashing is all about. You're not supposed to remember what you were told, only that it made sense  Wink
Of course in your case they failed on the second part, obviously not on the first.

I have the time of day for any one of any relgion, except for scientologists.

They only call it a religion for tax reasons and to lull fools into joining.
I wish I were flying

OV735

Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:54 pm

A quick and thoroguh answer:

David L

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:24 pm

The vast majority are all theology based religions which may or may not have greater powers. Scientology is the brainchild of a science fiction writer. Go figure.

I was only questioning the word "fact".  Smile

ltbewr

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:34 am

Scientology is in most people's minds a cult style so called religion. To me it attracts creative people like actors and performers who are looking for any crutch or explaination for their difficulties earlier in or at bad lows in their performing careers and don't see answers in traditional faiths. In my opinion, such 'faiths' also attract people that have some emotional, psychlogical and personal issues, are despiraly looking for answers and somehow get caught up by their hard sell of these cult like faiths of having all the answers for their problems.
If I am correct, Scientology is practically banned in Germany, especially in Bavaria State, although they actively support Roman Catholicism even in Government schools and offices. That may be wrong by a number of international agreements. Despite the questions of Scientology being a faith, in the USA we are almost absolute about allowing any faith belief or practice and no 'official state faith' we learned at our founding from the lessons of State approved faiths in Europe and the problems from that.

SlamClick

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:51 am

So let me see if I have this right.

Scientology is an organization based on absurd and unsupportable beliefs that has the bad manners to charge directly for their "services" and the deviousness to seek unwarranted legal protections.

Shocking!

Why don't they get their man elected President of the USA and make their money the honest way?

Or inculcate crippling guilt into the world's brightest young financial minds?

Or send their young men out into the world with explosives strapped to their bodies to take over the world that way and simultaneously increase the (living) female/male ratio?

Or squat by the roadside doing nothing for a hundred generations claiming that material things don't matter anyway?

Boy, what kooks!
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

LTU932

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:07 am

Quoting 9V (Thread starter):
what the hell is Scientology?

Scientology is bullshit, that's all you need to know.  Wink

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):
And that is why Travolta went with the 707

Well, at least Travolta doesn't use Scientology to make a fool out of himself. While Tom Cruise is a total jackass, JT is still somewhat respectable.

Scientology has in fact caused lots of problems in Germany as well. Teachers, who were Scientologists, got suspended many times for trying to advertise for the religion by showing videos or other advertisements on it to students and officially, the group isn't recognised as a religion or religious community in Germany after a verdict of the Federal Labour Court. I used to pass near the Scientology Hamburg building while taking the tube, but never really bothered to look for it during the ride because for me, Scientology should be permanently banned and erased as a group in Germany and around the world.

bill142

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:51 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 41):

Lets not forget that they are able to buy status. Buy contributing more money to the church you gain a higher status within in. The belief is Scientology is correct and holding a high status within the church means holding a high status in society. It's simply an outlet for actors who flunked out of school and actually have no clue to sound as if they are intelectuals.

Once again Science saves the day an proves that Scientology is BS.

P.S Are there any A.Nutters who are Scientologists?

tu204

Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:03 pm

It is like my sister when she was around 5, I got bored so I taught her to answer my question of "Who am I" the following way: "God, commander, boss, pilot and swimmer." Quite funny actually. But these guys are the same...except for the fact that they are not 5 years old.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

sebolino

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:40 pm

The most incredible with scientology is that it's actually an idiotic science-fiction story, but some people really believe in it, and give their lives to the church.

Just like all dictators know (and politicians by extension), more you lie, the biggest the lies, more will weak people believe you and follow you.

I don't understand why it's not forbidden in the US.

Kieron747

Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:52 pm

Basicly what I thought all along. A complete load of BS.

You never get high up in Scientology unless your able to contribute vast amounts of cash, like Tom Cruise can. They have no fact to back up their beliefs. It's simply a social club for morons like Tom Cruise to express themselves and sound import.

checkmark  After reading the entire thread, I'd say the above comment puts it in a nutshell.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 44):
P.S Are there any A.Nutters who are Scientologists?

Not that I am aware of, although I believe that AerospaceFan may well be the meglomaniac god Xenu..

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

pelican

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting DrDeke (Reply 30):
It's similar in Germany; Scientology there is an outlawed cult.

If I am correct, Scientology is practically banned in Germany

No, it's not. Scientology is legal in Germany although:

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 43):
the group isn't recognised as a religion or religious community in Germany after a verdict of the Federal Labour Court.

That means that they don't have certain benefits (e.g. tax) which state recognised religious groups have. And Scientology is kept under surveillance by the "Verfassungschutz" (kind of intelligence service) in some federal states.

they actively support Roman Catholicism even in Government schools and offices. That may be wrong by a number of international agreements.

"They" also have to support other religious groups like Jews, Lutherans (and several other Christian churches) and I think Muslims, too. But the connection between the state of Bavaria - being by the majority an Roman Catholic state - and Roman Catholicism is somewhat dominant down there.
To sum it up: there is no

'official state faith'

in Germany.

pelican

9V
Topic Author

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:31 am

I'm not impressed with the wedding photo's.  Sad