Falcon84
Topic Author

Ohio State 42, Michigan 39!

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:37 am

Ok, if ANYONE tell me they expected a shoot-out like this, you're either high, or a friggin' liar-or both.  Big grin

The Buckeyes are going to the Desert Jan 8th to play for another National Title! WOOHOO!

And who woulda thunk that two of the top defenses would be shredded for 4 quarters like that? I was just flabbergasted at the points scored.

Kudo's to Chad Henne and Michael Hart, for keeping the Maize and Blue in that game. And, again, Troy Smith comes up huge on the biggest stage of the year-sorry, Boston82 (I think that's his handle), but the Hesiman is headed, deservedly so, to Columbus this week.

Now, still to be settled: who will face the Buckeyes: USC? Florida? Arkansas? Notre Dame? Rutgers? West Virginia? Or.....Michigan?

WAY TO GO BUCKEYES!!!
Work Right, Fly Hard

deltagator

RE: Ohio State 42, Michigan 39!

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:42 am

Yeah yeah yeah...Falcon the "Subway Alumni" has his team in the National Championship. How did your Bowling Green team do this year?

Anyways, just messing with you. Congrats on a good season and to you losing your next game. I really hope they don't give us a rematch of this game. Nobody will give a crap and the calls for a playoff will be even greater. If you can't beat a team you don't deserve to play them again just because some poll says you two are still the best. I'm sure that UM will fall and that the SEC champion (if Florida or Arkansas win out with just one loss) will play for the title against the Crapeyes.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

CO7e7

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:43 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Thread starter):
WAY TO GO BUCKEYES!!!

THAT'S RIGHT BABYYYYYYYYYYYY

OH----IO

http://valuecarpetonline.com/ohio-ar.jpg

MUCK FICHIGAN!!!!!!!!

TPAnx

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:46 am

Hope it's the Gators...but don't think 62-0 romp over East Western South North Carolina will make up for their one loss. Oh well...they play FSU next
weekend.. Smile
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

deltagator

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:50 am

Quoting TPAnx (Reply 3):
Hope it's the Gators...but don't think 62-0 romp over East Western South North Carolina will make up for their one loss.

I hope so too. A national title in our 100th year of football would be great. Maybe our offense has their brains working again after this thrashing of Directional Carolina. We'll need it against OSU.

Let'sjust hope Troy Smith continues to forget how to catch a shotgun snap in the title game. Not what I expect out of the most likely Heisman winner (even in a season of weak contenders.)
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

itsjustme

Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:55 am

What a frickin' frustrating game it was to watch. Anyone care to venture a guess as to why Michigan chose not to go for the 2 point conversion when they scored early in the 4th quarter?

KingAir200

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:00 am

Kudo's to Chad Henne and Michael Hart, for keeping the Maize and Blue in that game.

Yeah, Michael had a great game, running for 142 yards and 3 touchdowns. Chad was ok, playing well aside from a few overthrows.

I was impressed with OSU, rolling up 500+ yards. Troy Smith probably should get the Heisman with that performance.

As for the BCS Championship in Glendale, I am one who feels that Michigan shouldn't be the opponent. They had their shot at OSU, and as close as it was, they couldn't come away with a win. I don't think it matters who OSU plays; the crystal football seems destined to take up residence in Columbus. As for Michigan, it seems that they will land in the Rose Bowl, their third visit in four years.

[Edited 2006-11-19 02:01:49]

CO7e7

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:20 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 5):
Anyone care to venture a guess as to why Michigan chose not to go for the 2 point conversion when they scored early in the 4th quarter?

They knew better!!!

Quoting KingAir200 (Reply 6):
Chad was ok, playing well aside from a few overthrows.

Chad WHAT??????????????????????  Wink

Quoting KingAir200 (Reply 6):
Troy Smith probably should get the Heisman with that performance.

Damn right he will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH----IO

itsjustme

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:25 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 7):
They knew better!!!

Huh? They were successful only 9 minutes later. It made no sense not to go for 2 when they scored the previous time.

Now, does anyone else care to offer a sensible reason why Michigan didn't go for 2 the first time they scored in the 4th quarter?

maiznblu_757

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:38 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 2):
OH----IO

Congrats, you know how to spell...

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 5):
What a frickin' frustrating game it was to watch. Anyone care to venture a guess as to why Michigan chose not to go for the 2 point conversion when they scored early in the 4th quarter?

Smart decision by Carr NOT to go for two there. Anyone who knows football knows that it is a huge risk to go for two anyhow as the chances of getting it are not that good to begin with. When Tressel called timeout, it gave the defense time to get organized, Carr recognized that and decided it was smarter to go for the single.

Nonetheless, great game. Hands down, Ohio State and Michigan are the two best teams in the country. If there is a rematch, it will be another great game. If there isnt a rematch, I hope they can figure out which other 1 loss team is worthy.

ANCFlyer

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:39 am

Hell, gents, it's only college ball, not like watching a real game now is it.  duck 

Just kidding - it was a great game. Right down to the last two minutes really.

Both teams played hard and played great games.  thumbsup 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

allstarflyer

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:43 am

Or.....Michigan?

Rematch!

USC?

Depends on tonight and the ND game - it's either the winner of that or Michigan IMO.

Florida?

I hope not. I couldn't stand Florida under Spurrier, I can't stand their basketball under Donovan - two national titles at Florida in the same year would be reason to  vomit  . Go whoever else in the SEC title game.

Notre Dame?

Maybe - that would be tough, but the rematch from last year's bowl and the media frenzy would be the biggest over this matchup.

Quoting TPAnx (Reply 3):
Oh well...they play FSU next
weekend..

Go FSU!

-R
Living the American Dream

itsjustme

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:46 am

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 9):
Smart decision by Carr NOT to go for two there. Anyone who knows football knows that it is a huge risk to go for two anyhow as the chances of getting it are not that good to begin with.

Well, then I guess the guys doing the play-by-play on ABC Sports don't know football as they had no idea why Carr didn't go for 2 either. They called it "puzzling".
Anyway, moot point. Congrats to OSU and their fans and hopefully Bo and Woody are sharing a beer right now and discussing what they would have done differently.

deltagator

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:05 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 11):
I hope not. I couldn't stand Florida under Spurrier, I can't stand their basketball under Donovan - two national titles at Florida in the same year would be reason to .

Ah poor baby...does somebody not like the better team because their team loses to them? It just burns you up that we can be good in multiple sports doesn't it? We win and that's what matters. Fear the Gator!  silly 

Mir

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:13 am

who will face the Buckeyes: USC? Florida? Arkansas? Notre Dame? Rutgers? West Virginia? Or.....Michigan?

Hopefully Rutgers.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 10):
not like watching a real game now is it.

Says the Packer fan....  Yeah sure  duck 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

CO7e7

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:13 am

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 9):
Congrats, you know how to spell...

and you know how to sounds like a smart@$$

Depends on tonight and the ND game - it's either the winner of that or Michigan IMO.

let me get this right...
If USC beats Cal and ND... they'll play OSU. And if they beat Cal and lose to ND what's gonna happen??

I honestly think this whole BCS thing is confusing..

deltagator

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:23 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 15):
And if they beat Cal and lose to ND what's gonna happen??

Easy...they play Florida as long as the Gators win out.

Boston92

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:26 am

USC? Florida? Arkansas? Notre Dame? Rutgers? West Virginia? Or.....Michigan?

Not Rutgers or WV, they are just too far out, but the rest have a pretty even chance.

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 15):
If USC beats Cal and ND... they'll play OSU. And if they beat Cal and lose to ND what's gonna happen??

If USC beats CAL and UCLA and loses to ND, USC will go to the Rose Bowl no questions asked. Then the OSU vs ??? would be either ND, Florida, or Arkansas (and maybe UM). If Florida beats Arkansas, then it would most likely be Florida, but if Florida loses, ND and Arkansas are basically a 50/50.

sorry, Boston82 (I think that's his handle), but the Hesiman is headed, deservedly so, to Columbus this week.

Sorry Falcon94 (lol). Smith does have the better chance of winning it but with your season over, Brady Quinn is also in the race. He had a great game today (22/28 3 TD's), and with a good game vs. USC, the voters just might get Quinn the trophy. You agree with one thing, we ARE talking about two great NFL bound players that will each have a ring or two in their day. But as to who is better, I don't know, the two have never played H2H.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

Falcon84
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:41 am

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 17):
Smith does have the better chance of winning it but with your season over, Brady Quinn is also in the race.

God, but you're stubborn.

The race is OVER. Brady Quinn beat up on ARMY today. Troy Smith threw for 300 yards and 4 TD'd against Michigan-you know, that team that completely destroyed ND earlier in the year?

Brady doesn't have a chance. None. Zilch. Zero.

Give it up!  Yeah sure

As for DeltaGator's assertion that Troy can't catch a shotgun snap, both those were terrible snaps by a center with a cast on his snapping hand. Those weren't Troy's fault. The INT was (Oh, and Brady threw one today, too, Boston92).

A few questions here for who will play the eventual national champion Buckeyes.  Big grin :

If USC prevails over Cal, and ND beats USC, voters will (and should) have to think long and hard about voting Notre Dame over a Michigan team that beat the living shit out of the Irish.

Also, if Arkansas runs the table, and USC does the same, can voters really vote Arkansas ahead of USC, after USC beat the snot out of Arkansas in Fayateville?

Some interesting scenarios, to say the least.
Work Right, Fly Hard

CO7e7

Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:45 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 18):
Some interesting scenarios, to say the least.

yea but what about Florida?

AirCop

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:01 pm

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 12):
Well, then I guess the guys doing the play-by-play on ABC Sports don't know football as they had no idea why Carr didn't go for 2 either. They called it "puzzling".

I would grade the ESPN/ABC broadcasting crew a C-. Anyone know why Davies or whatever his name is (former ND coach) is broadcasting, that guy is BAD, and as for Brent, he just needs to retire. They just about put me to sleep and that was a great game..Wondering since OSU has made so many trips to Arizona in the last few years, perhaps they should add an Arizona Bowl game automatically to the schedule..
 biggrin 

Boston92

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:03 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 18):
God, but you're stubborn.

The race is OVER.

Most likely, Smith will win, thats fine. All I am saying is that Quinn is still in the race. No votes have been cast, and no one REALLY knows who will win, not even the great Falcon84! Nonetheless, Smith and the rest of the OSU team are a great. BTW, this was Quinns first INT in 228 attempts.
"Why does a slight tax increase cost you $200 and a substantial tax cut save you 30 cents?"

allstarflyer

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 13):
I hope not. I couldn't stand Florida under Spurrier, I can't stand their basketball under Donovan - two national titles at Florida in the same year would be reason to .

Ah poor baby...does somebody not like the better team because their team loses to them? It just burns you up that we can be good in multiple sports doesn't it? We win and that's what matters. Fear the Gator!

I'll admit it, I can't stand Florida because they beat my favorite teams - but it's not only that - Spurrier is a (fill-in your choice description) and Donovan is wannabe who capitalized on a pretty easy road to the Final Four. Besides, I've cheered on FSU and Miami in football - and I think the SEC is a bit overrated as it stands.

Go Big Ten!!

-R
Living the American Dream

Duff44

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:16 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 21):
All I am saying is that Quinn is still in the race.

Dude, I'm an Irish fan... If Quinn wins it, I'll personally throw a fit that Troy Smith didn't.

The Heisman is Troy Smith's, and he deserves it.

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):
Hopefully Rutgers.

Losing @ Cincinnati 27-3, 12:41 to play in the 4th...
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

maiznblu_757

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:29 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 14):
Hopefully Rutgers.

flamed 

USAFHummer

Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:38 pm

Great game by both sides...from a neutral perspective here, very entertaining to watch...honestly, I wouldn't mind a rematch of these two for the nat'l championship, but I think the odds of that happening are pretty slim...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

dragon-wings

Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:45 pm

Rutgers?

Why even consider Rutgers? They only good team they played this year was Louisville. (ranked #3 at the time)
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

Mir

Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:04 pm

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 23):
Losing @ Cincinnati 27-3, 12:41 to play in the 4th...

Well, scratch that one, I guess.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MUWarriors

Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:13 pm

I kinda hope for a rematch, this was a fun game. I doubt it will break that way, but it should, and I hate both of these programs.

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 12):

It was Brent Musburger, so no, he doesn't know anything about football  Wink. It was smart to go for one there, because had OSU kicked a field goal (which they almost did until a couple of stupid penalties) it's a 7 point game. You don't start chasing that extra point until there is 5 minutes or less to go. Also by kicking the one, you ensure that it is a field goal & touchdown+2 for the tie, rather than 2 touchdowns being your only option if you miss the 2 pointer earlier.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:28 pm

Play of the game was Antonio Pittman's 52 yard run in the 3rd quarter. That one stopped the momentum that had swung towards Michigan, and put some life back into the Buckeye offense.

The actual play of the game was the 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty against Michigan, on 3rd and long that turned a 4th down and a field goal try into a automatic First Down and an eventual Smith to Robiskie touchdown pass. And that was a good call, because it was a helmet-to-helmet hit.

The penalty call that made no sense was the interference called on OSU on the last Michigan drive. The DB never touched the receiver; he never interfered with the receiver's vision, and he didn't impede the receiver in any way, shape or form. Dumb call. But in the end, it didn't matter.
Work Right, Fly Hard

maiznblu_757

Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:19 pm

Did anyone notice that the Ohio Lottery Pick Four number for Saturday was...

4239!

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:47 pm

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 30):
Did anyone notice that the Ohio Lottery Pick Four number for Saturday was...

4239!

And a quick check of www.ohiolottery.com does confirm this. Coincidence or Conspiracy?  wink 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Skyway1

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:12 am

What a great game!

Troy Smith

29 of 41
319 yards
4 TD
1 INT

He's reached legend status in Columbus.....and Carr can't wait for him to leave town!
KNUK, KNUK, KNUK woowoowoo

Boston92

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:03 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 26):
Louisville. (ranked #3 at the time)

Which they should not have been.

maiznblu_757

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting Skyway1 (Reply 32):
He's reached legend status in Columbus.....and Carr can't wait for him to leave town!

Wow, I know I heard that at some point on tv yesterday.  Yeah sure

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 31):
And a quick check of www.ohiolottery.com does confirm this. Coincidence or Conspiracy?

Updated: Nov. 19, 2006, 7:46 PM ET
Lucky score: Ohio state lottery draws 4-2-3-9 winnerAssociated Press

CLEVELAND -- Ohio State's 42-39 victory over Michigan also was lucky for players of the Ohio Lottery.

Minutes after Saturday's game was over, the numbers 4-2-3-9 were drawn for the Pick 4 game.

"You know it happens," lottery spokeswoman Marie Kilbane said Sunday.

Lottery spokeswoman Mardele Cohen said 401 $1 bets were made that picked 4-2-3-9 in order and each bet won $5,000. The odds of the numbers turning up in that combination were 10,000 to 1.

Cohen said 913 $1 bets were placed on any combination of the winning numbers and paid $200 apiece.

The lottery paid a total of $2.19 million in winnings. Players had wagered $347,867.50.

Kilbane said it's likely that most of the bets with the winning numbers were placed after the game ended, but she did not know how much money was wagered in that period. The football game finished at 7:13 p.m. and the drawing was at 7:45 p.m.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:36 am

Hey Maiznblu, did you see where Michigan is still #2 in the BCS and in the AP poll? I think they impressed a LOT of people yesterday, under very trying conditions, taking #1 to the brink.

Only downside for you guys is that I read if USC runs the table, they'll eek ahead of Michigan for the championship game-and, after watching that game yesterday, that's fine with me-I don't want OSU to have ANY PART of you guys after yesterday!  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

maiznblu_757

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:42 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 35):
Hey Maiznblu, did you see where Michigan is still #2 in the BCS and in the AP poll? I think they impressed a LOT of people yesterday, under very trying conditions, taking #1 to the brink.

Only downside for you guys is that I read if USC runs the table, they'll eek ahead of Michigan for the championship game-and, after watching that game yesterday, that's fine with me-I don't want OSU to have ANY PART of you guys after yesterday!

Thats a BIG if, I dont see them getting by Notre Dame... and UCLA could easily pull an upset. If USC does make it thru then they deserve to play for the championship. I will say the ONLY thing keeping USC up in the BCS is that win against Arkansas. Its a damn impressive win looking at the picture now.

Falcon84
Topic Author

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:45 am

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 36):
Thats a BIG if, I dont see them getting by Notre Dame... and UCLA could easily pull an upset. If USC does make it thru then they deserve to play for the championship. I will say the ONLY thing keeping USC up in the BCS is that win against Arkansas. Its a damn impressive win looking at the picture now.

If USC falters, I honestly think that'll put Florida in the drivers seat if they win out. But I think USC finds a way to beat UND this week. Arkansas, as good as they've been, can't get in, I think, unless USC loses, and they beat Florida in the SEC title game, which I think will happen.
Work Right, Fly Hard

B4REAL

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:14 pm

As all have said, this was an amazing game. I'm a Buckeye fan, so take that now for my perspective.

It somewhat felt like watching Arena football, somewhat surreal for Big Ten play, even surreal for the spread offense.

But, as for the BCS Title Game, I think we have major controversy brewing.

I think there are three legit contenders for the final BCS #2 spot:

-ND or USC (if USC wins against ND and UCLA)
-SEC Champ (Nudge to Florida in the points)
-Michigan

I hope it is USC or ND, but if the following happens:

-ND wins @ USC, but does not muster enough BCS points for #2
-Arkansas wins SEC championship, but does not muster enough BCS ponits for #2

That leaves Michigan at #2. I bet the BCS would envoke their 'special economic consideration rules' to put Ohio State vs. ND for money reasons and to avoid the rematch. If OSU - UM was earlier in the season, no question, if Texas didn't drop the ball, no question either. Those rules were used a few years ago, but not for the championship game.

Should it actually be OSU - UM again, WOW. I just don't know. I would actually give the Buckeyes an advantage as they've played and won at the Fiesta Bowl in 2002, 2003, and 2005. Even though this game isn't the Fiesta Bowl, it's close enough.

Quoting Skyway1 (Reply 32):

While Troy is legend status, Carr's nemesis is Mr. Tressel. Tressel is now an amazing 5-1 vs. UM - including being 3-0 at the horseshoe. Start thinking of streets and buildings, "Jim Tressel Way", "Tressel Hall", "The Tressel Athletic Center for Excellence"... seriously.

The only ding on Tressel is his record vs. Wisconsin - 1-3. But, he's revived one of college footballs most storied programs and I love it.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

AirCop

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:25 pm

Personally, I can't see Michigan going to Glendale. I would like at least see the other team that will lose to Ohio State, at least be a conference champion, most likely, USC or Florida.

Boston92

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:20 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 39):
most likely, USC or Florida

Simply, if ND beats USC, then it would be Florida, if USC beats ND, then it would be USC. But what if USC and Florida lose? Then it would be a toss up between UM, ND, and Arkansas.