foppishbum

The Fun Of Driving? What?

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:23 am

So...I feel that the modern auto-makers are really taking away the fun of driving! For example, the new Lexus LS430 can self parallel park, the Mercedes S550's cruise control and actually stop the car by itself, and many cars nowadays have tiptronic gear box...which is automatic but also have a...well...semi-manual mode. Now if you have a Mercedes S550, you only have to steer and basically just sit back and even watch TV on dashboard! What fun is it to drive if you don't have absolute control to your car? To me, a small Honda Civic Coupe manual beats everything!! Agree? Disagree? Anybody?  silly 

foppishbum
Taiwanese-American :D

AirTranTUS

RE: The Fun Of Driving? What?

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:42 am

Quoting Foppishbum (Thread starter):
To me, a small Honda Civic Coupe manual beats everything!!

Well duh!

Of course a self parallel park feature could be useful in a large vehicle.
I love ASO!

aerobalance

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:45 am

Fun of driving to me is to go as fast as possible with minimal input from myself - less stress, less sweat, leaves energy for me to live my life.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

aerorobnz

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:22 am

The Hot Hatch is fantastic for driving quickly in all sorts of road conditions. I wouldn't mind a go in an Evo IX FQ360 either...

Failing that the exotics seem to still make nice driving cars.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

A346Dude

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:04 am

I tend to agree, but there is a large market for people who just want to get from A to B as easily and stress-free as possible.

But for me, there is indeed something to be said for having total control of a car - it's just a lot more fun.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

YWG

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:29 am

To me, a small Honda Civic Coupe manual beats everything!! Agree?

Well you know, about 90% of my friends would agree with you on that one, but for some reason I just like driving an automatic transmission (and I can drive both). Don't get me wrong, driving can be hell of a lot of fun, but on those days when you wake up so zoned and tired you want nothing more to just get where you're going and not have to worry about shifting and what not even if it has become second nature.
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

speedbird747BA

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:30 am

Oh, me, but I just do love driving. you get out on an open road at night, with twists bends, hairpins and straights where you can open it up. turn up the music, hit the brights, jam in the accelorator and your off, trying to make every curve perfect, always trying to do better than your last one. you race along twisting turning, tires squealing, engine whining!!! you flatten back into your seat as you come off a downhill hairpin , jamming the gas pedal to the floor, heart racing, adrenaline pumping!!!!!!!!

Oh man. Im excited, i think ill go and take a drive.

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

AirTranTUS

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting YWG (Reply 5):
Well you know, about 90% of my friends would agree with you on that one, but for some reason I just like driving an automatic transmission (and I can drive both). Don't get me wrong, driving can be hell of a lot of fun, but on those days when you wake up so zoned and tired you want nothing more to just get where you're going and not have to worry about shifting and what not even if it has become second nature.

The last time I had to drive an automatic, my left foot almost gave me the finger and walked away. It was quite bored. But what you say about being tired and shifting is true. It is really bad in a vehicle with a heavy clutch.
I love ASO!

foppishbum

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:52 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 1):
Of course a self parallel park feature could be useful in a large vehicle.

I guess that's why some wealthy people owns one big luxury car and then a small sport coupe.  silly 

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 2):
Fun of driving to me is to go as fast as possible with minimal input from myself - less stress, less sweat, leaves energy for me to live my life.

That's true too. Driving in rush hour in a manual is not fun at all... Sad

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 6):

Be SAFE! Big grin Enjoy!!

foppishbum

senliture

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:28 pm

Not everyone enjoy driving as much as we do I assume, and the most important thing is, the car has the gadgets, but you can not using them

oldman55

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:31 pm

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 6):
Oh, me, but I just do love driving. you get out on an open road at night, with twists bends, hairpins and straights where you can open it up. turn up the music, hit the brights, jam in the accelorator and your off, trying to make every curve perfect, always trying to do better than your last one. you race along twisting turning, tires squealing, engine whining!!! you flatten back into your seat as you come off a downhill hairpin , jamming the gas pedal to the floor, heart racing, adrenaline pumping!!!!!!!!

Don't forget man your in Florida so good luck finding anything other than straight and flat  Wink
too bad most of us get too soon old and too late smart

halls120

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:37 pm

Driving fun? My 270HP 6-speed Acura TL, XM radio, and an open road.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

foppishbum

Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:39 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 11):
My 270HP 6-speed Acura TL, XM radio, and an open road.

Ah...that sounds fun! Big grin My uncle has a BMW M6 at home so whenever I go back to Los Angeles, I would ask him if I can take his car for a spin. Big grin 500-hp V10 in my hands. Though after I got into an accident cus somebody T-boned me at an intersection (he ran the red), my uncle is pretty reserved about lending me his car.  cry 

Does TL drive well? I'm still debating what kinda car to get after I graduate from college. I was thinking hybrid cus of gas but in my previous thread, lots of people suggest just getting a diesel. Oh well, still two years to go, I have time to think!  Smile

In you guys's opipn, what's the funnest car to drive? I would think a Mini Cooper S...cute and fast.  silly 

foppishbum

halls120

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Quoting Foppishbum (Reply 12):
Does TL drive well? I'm still debating what kinda car to get after I graduate from college. I was thinking hybrid cus of gas but in my previous thread, lots of people suggest just getting a diesel. Oh well, still two years to go, I have time to think!

Other than a bit of torque steer, attributable to the 270hp sitting on front wheel drive, it is the best handling car I've ever owned.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

speedbird747BA

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:24 pm

Quoting Oldman55 (Reply 10):
Don't forget man your in Florida so good luck finding anything other than straight and flat

Not up north of ATL, oh man thats a drivers heaven. Also, FL road engineers are retarded, they couldnt make a straight road to save their lives.

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

Thom@s

Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:03 am

How much fun can you get out of driving one of these...?  grumpy 

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

foppishbum

Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 15):
How much fun can you get out of driving one of these...?

Hahahah...well, I'm not sure how much fun would that be but I'm sure it'll be better than driving a fully automated self parallel parked huge @ss sedan.  silly 

foppishbum

jorge1812

Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:03 am

All I can say is that I'm glad to live in Germany where it's possible to drive as fast as the Car can on some Autobahn (Highways)....driving 220km/h or 137 mi/h or faster is such a nice feeling. But be aware that it shouldn't be done if it isn't safe.

Georg

glydrflyr

Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting Foppishbum (Reply 12):
what's the funnest car to drive?

Porsche Carrera GT, but the price tag is a bit much, and the insurance premium makes sure you won't have any money left to buy (premium) gas!

I've only driven one a few miles (less than 30) but it was a memorable blast. Almost made give up my dream of owning another Porsche 356.  cool 
if ya gotta crash, hit something soft and cheap!

foppishbum

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:36 pm

Quoting Glydrflyr (Reply 18):
Porsche Carrera GT

Just looking at the window sticker made me faint...that thing is absolutely not affordable by a cheap person like me  silly 

How 'bout this? A nice affordable car that's fun to drive? Let's not include the millionaires in this conversation... silly 

P.S. to those millionaires, please donate me a 2007 Honda Civic Si Coupe. I'm in dire need of a car.  tongue 

foppishbum

NorthstarBoy

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:05 pm

Having lived in LA, i can attest, having a car with a manny tranny is no fun in traffic, always got to keep the foot on the clutch.

but, on my trips between so cal and Colorado, i'd find abandoned highways and let my led foot come out and play, my car rides great at 100 miles an hour!

My one question though, how do they teach a car to parallel park?

Anyway, long live the Mustang!
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

N1120A

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:26 pm

Being a native Southern Californian, I refuse to drive anything but a manual transmission. Not only is it more fun, more reliable and more efficient, I have found that it actually gets me out of trouble at times when I need a quick burst in stop and go conditions. Further, if one drives properly, they wont have to do much shifting while in traffic.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

57AZ

Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:45 pm

You think parallel parking a car is hard? Try doing a "blind alley" backup move with a 45' motorcoach and stopping within18 inches of the mark! That's one of the basic moves that you're required to demonstrate in the Commerical Driver's License test. The real catcher is that you can only use your mirrors-no assistance at all.

As for fun driving, I get my fun driving 17 ton electric streetcars. No mechanical transmission to deal with and immediate pick up as soon as I pull the motor controller into the first point. Only catch is that I have to be attentive to all the other idiots on the road. One of the first things a motorman learns is that any vehicle that is not a police unit, ambulance, fire engine or bus is to be treated as an idiot until proven otherwise. The other thing to remember is to sound the gong approaching intersections and crosswalks-a streetcar coasting is deadly silent.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

WildcatYXU

Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:00 pm

To me, a small Honda Civic Coupe manual beats everything!! Agree?

I respectfully disagree. To have a real fun you have to have RWD. Narrow road road with a lot of curves, powerslide, yummy!
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

RayChuang

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:10 pm

I drive a 1998 Honda Civic HX CVT coupe and because its has a very good suspension (and I put in a decent set of Yokohama TRZ tyres) the car handles very well indeed. Thanks to the really smooth CVT automatic, I can outrun a lot of bigger cars up to 50 mph (80 km/h).  bigthumbsup 

ltbewr

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:25 pm

To me the declining fun of driving isn't so much about the much more technically better and much safer cars we have now, but the far too crowded roads, with too many distracted and bad drivers, especially in the suburbs.

foppishbum

Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 23):
To have a real fun you have to have RWD

I said Honda Civic manual because I'm a cheap college student. Even the Acura RSX is too much $$ for me.  crying 

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 25):
To me the declining fun of driving isn't so much about the much more technically better and much safer cars we have now, but the far too crowded roads, with too many distracted and bad drivers, especially in the suburbs.

Agreed.

foppishbum

Jpax

Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:36 am

Car that will eat ricers + Night + Techno + Friends = Fun Driving.

S12PPL

Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:54 am

I could drive either. I would enjoy a sports car with a manual transmission. I would also enjoy something like that Lexus that could park for me. I would have an impossible time NOT touching the steering wheel, though. I was reading about it, and it will do all the parking, until you move the steering wheel. All you have to do is ride the breaks. Kind of like when a plane is towed to the gate, I suppose. Whoever is in the left seat just rides the breaks. No steering, no throttle control. Just...enjoy the ride...
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

aerorobnz

Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:56 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 23):
I respectfully disagree. To have a real fun you have to have RWD. Narrow road road with a lot of curves

I respectfully disagree. The whole point of my Clio Sport is to drive insanely on narrow roads with curves and bumps in the road. It will drive the pants off many much larger and more powerful cars on everyday roads and is happy on 3 wheels around corners. The Clio is the most fun I've had while driving including BMW 3/5 series.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Molykote

Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:03 pm

What fun is it to drive if you don't have absolute control to your car? To me, a small Honda Civic Coupe manual beats everything!! Agree? Disagree? Anybody?

I can't agree more....

I have an MX-5 Miata with every option except the following:
- automatic transmission
- ABS
- limited slip differential

I have a set of Potenza S-03s installed and Bridgestone broke my heart when they discontinued this tire. Obviously the car lacks some power its singular purpose makes it among the purest enthusiast cars I've driven. The car has grip limits on par with many more expensive machines (and will bite you if you screw the pooch setting up for a corner) but the limits of the car are low enough that it's an invaluable learning tool. I'm not inexperienced on road or track but am always willing to learn.

On the other hand.... I also have a Lexus ES300.

The Lexus (and sister Camry) is boring and a relative pig. As much as I want to dislike this car I can't. Although it's totally different than the Miata it's just as good at of a design execution (understated, plush, quiet, and reliable) - did I mention boring? I wanted a BMW but I have a 30 mile highway commute that doesn't justify spending money such a car. I also spent my years from middle school through college and the present day observing what my parents spend on BMW maintenance - count me out (at least for now).

To answer your question:
I agree with you on the whole...... but I'm glad I drive home in a comfortable Lexus after a 12 hour night shift rather than a more elemental "fun" car. Five years ago when I was designing/making formula car parts and assumed I'd be driving an autocross beast to and from work (no interior, etc). Although I can't imagine wanting all of the other gadgets you mention on a car I am amazed at how my opinion has changed. old 
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

halls120

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 21):
Being a native Southern Californian, I refuse to drive anything but a manual transmission. Not only is it more fun, more reliable and more efficient, I have found that it actually gets me out of trouble at times when I need a quick burst in stop and go conditions. Further, if one drives properly, they wont have to do much shifting while in traffic.

checkmark  I will be very unhappy once automakers stop offering the MT. I took that option on my Acura TL, and haven't regretted it at all. Even in lousy DC commuting traffic.

RayChuang

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:13 am

What is interesting is that unless it's a specialized sports car or a cheap, low-cost car, you're going to see less and less manual transmissions in automobiles.

I cite the following reasons:

1) Conventional automatics have gotten quite good recently, especially with transmissions that sport five or more gears. With a five-speed automatic, you not only get far smoother shifts but also better fuel efficiency because of the higher ratio of the higher gears.

2) Dual-clutch sequential manuals with optional automatic operation are now very good, and they can now handle more powerful engines. If you've driven the Volkswagen GTI with the DSG box the car accelerates a lot faster than a GTI with a regular six-speed manual transmission.

3) CVT automatic with metal belts are now very good, with the ability to handle high-powered engines. Thanks to improved computer controls, they also minimize the "slipping clutch effect" that was the bane of older CVT's. If you've driven the 2007 Nissan Altima or Nissan Maxima with the JATCO CVT you know what I mean.  Smile

bongo

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:54 am

Maybe you can buy a Ford Model T.... nothing about tech and you´ll enjoy the pleasure of driving  Smile
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!