AerospaceFan
Topic Author

British Rocker Says UK Troops Should Stop "Crying"

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:49 am

The leader of a best-selling rock group has publicly said that British troops should stop complaining after being injured in action, according to a recent news story. Noel Gallagher of the British band, Oasis, also criticized Prime Minister Blair for leading the country into Iraq.

It sounds to me that Mr. Gallagher has plenty of invective to spare.

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061121...pentertainmentbritain_061121132054

[Edited 2006-11-22 01:51:42]
What's fair is fair.

bushpilot

RE: British Rocker Says UK Troops Should Stop "Crying"

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:03 am

Just another out of touch, washed up musician, with his own issues that need to be dealt with spouting off on something he probably doesnt understand. Upon reading the article it is obvious he is just spouting off to gain publicity for the release of the greatest hits album from Oasis. He took the shotgun approach on offending people. Idiots like this it is best to smile, nod and generally ignore.

VonRichtofen

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:07 am

I remember at the height of Oasis' popularity they were on Muchmusic (Canada's version of MTV) and Noel was constantly whining like a little bitch about wanting to go home. Maybe he was a afraid of snow...

Kris

srbmod

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:10 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):
British Rocker Says UK Troops Should Stop "Crying"

Just by the title alone, I knew it had to be Noel.....

And I pretty much agree with everything he said. He truly is (as the NME dubbed him) "The Wisest Man In Rock".

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:21 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 1):
Upon reading the article it is obvious he is just spouting off to gain publicity for the release of the greatest hits album from Oasis.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 2):
I remember at the height of Oasis' popularity they were on Muchmusic (Canada's version of MTV) and Noel was constantly whining like a little bitch about wanting to go home. Maybe he was a afraid of snow...

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 3):
He truly is (as the NME dubbed him) "The Wisest Man In Rock".

Thanks for your comments, guys.

Up to today, I truly had never heard of Noel Gallagher, although I do think I'd heard of Oasis. He obviously is a man of strong opinions.

I agree that much of these opinions is quite possibly tied to the creation of publicity of their new album.
What's fair is fair.

Klaus

Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:04 pm

He's trying to defend a hard-earned reputation as one of the most repulsive individuals in contemporary music. But even that gets old eventually...!  crazy 

BMIFlyer

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:56 pm

He is a complete tit, as far as i'm concerned.

I read his intrview in a newspaper yesterday - he said "If soldiers don't like to get shot, then why do they join the army"  Angry

He has absolutely no idea how it feels to be shot (or shot at), maybe he should give military service a go....

Besides, I joined up for a reason, to serve my country. If I'm killed in action, at least I would die proud.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

legoguy

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:11 pm

Apparently he did not say all these things. He is vigorously denying most of the comments, although he did say that if you join the army, expect to get shot at.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:18 pm

To be fair - he is right - simple as that. The papers will whip it up so that he is accused of being unpatriotic and ungrateful, when in fact he is talking sense for the most part.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

777236ER

RE: British Rocker Says UK Troops Should Stop "Cry

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:17 pm

Blur were better.
Your bone's got a little machine

MYT332

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:01 pm

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 1):
Just another out of touch, washed up musician,

Actually, Oasis aren't washed up at all and have another album coming out soon? You heard Masterplan lately?

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 6):
read his intrview in a newspaper yesterday - he said "If soldiers don't like to get shot, then why do they join the army"

He's right though isn't he? In his defence what he said has been twisted as it has come out today. Liam is the tit if you ask me, Noel is the better of the bunch and fairly down to earth.

He has absolutely no idea how it feels to be shot (or shot at), maybe he should give military service a go....

Well I think he can imagine it and that is why he isn't in the army but is making millions from being the talented musician he is?

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 9):
Blur were better.

Pah, 'Roll with it' should have been number 1 and you know it.
One Life, Live it.

speedbird747BA

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:37 pm

Besides, I joined up for a reason, to serve my country. If I'm killed in action, at least I would die proud.

Pur-lease! you joined up for all the muscular women wearing boots, carrying guns, all sweaty and stuff.

Cheer,
Kyle

[Edited 2006-11-22 13:40:21]
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

Banco

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:42 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 10):

Ugh. Both songs were dire, and way below their best stuff. At least Blur weren't gratuitous in the way they nicked everyone else's stuff.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

BMIFlyer

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:43 pm

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 11):
Pur-lease! you joined up for all the muscular women wearing boots, carrying guns, all sweaty and stuff.

Yeah, right  grumpy 

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Thomson735

Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:58 am

He is a total w***** always has been , i remember when that dude ash-trayed his face in Germany i think when he gobbed off at a rather large bloke, i realised then he was a cock

But i kinda see one of his points, troops cant moan, they are in the army, if they are led in to a battle then thats it they signed up wasn't forced on them so deal with it,

I dont want to be shot at and bombed, so i didn't join the army, all i can say is thank god we have these very brave men that are willing to protect us

Regards

Banco

Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:47 am

Quoting Thomson735 (Reply 14):
He is a total w***** always has been , i remember when that dude ash-trayed his face in Germany i think when he gobbed off at a rather large bloke, i realised then he was a cock

That was Liam rather than Noel, wasn't it? You do often wonder what Liam is for....

srbmod

Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:57 am

Blur were better.

At the time of the (in)famous Blur v. Oasis rivalry, I thought Blur was better. In retrospect, Oasis is better. (What's The Story) Morning Glory still holds up 11 years later while The Great Escape sounds dated. The only other "Britpop" acts of that era whose albums still hold up today (At least in my opinion) are Moseley Shoals by Ocean Color Scene and Stanley Road by Paul Weller. These albums were more straight forward rock than pop (Like albums from Blur, Elastica, Pulp, Menwe@r, and so on) and rock always stands the test of time.

777236ER

Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 16):
The only other "Britpop" acts of that era whose albums still hold up today (At least in my opinion) are Moseley Shoals by Ocean Color Scene and Stanley Road by Paul Weller. These albums were more straight forward rock than pop (Like albums from Blur, Elastica, Pulp, Menwe@r, and so on) and rock always stands the test of time.

In fairness, the Britpop thing wasn't that great, either at the time or in retrospect. It was no where near as great as the indie/alternative scene in the late 80s and early 90s.

That being said, Different Class was a good album.

bushpilot

Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 16):
The only other "Britpop" acts of that era whose albums still hold up today (At least in my opinion)

I would counter with a little band called Radiohead, and the gem they put out in '95, the Bends.

Actually, Oasis aren't washed up at all and have another album coming out soon? You heard Masterplan lately?

Fair enough, I am not really paying much attention to the current music scene. But when you start releasing greatest hits albums, the next step is playing state fairs. I do enjoy thier stuff from 10 years ago, but I still stand my point that this is nothing more than him doing a little self-promotion for the upcoming release.

vikkyvik

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:10 am

Liam is the tit if you ask me, Noel is the better of the bunch and fairly down to earth.

Quoting Banco (Reply 15):

That was Liam rather than Noel, wasn't it? You do often wonder what Liam is for....

Most of the ridiculously stupid stuff you hear about Oasis was due to Liam, not Noel. Liam was/is a lazy bastard, while Noel actually tried to keep the band going. Opinionated? Yes.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

srbmod

Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 18):

I would counter with a little band called Radiohead, and the gem they put out in '95, the Bends.

I don't consider them to be a Britpop band. Radiohead was basically pigeon-holed into the Britpop genre because they just happened to be there during the formative years of the main wave of the movement (Much like The Jam got pigeon-holed early on as a punk band). Their music didn't really fit in with the genre at all.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:55 pm

It occurs to me that with the state of American popular music the way it is now, we may be due for another "British invasion". With the exception of country music, much of what I hear in pop -- even the "edgy" kind -- seems to me recycled, tired, and boring. In some ways, that includes trance, as well.

British music has always had a great influence on the pop scene here in "the Colonies".
What's fair is fair.

linco22

Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 19):
Opinionated? Yes

Indeed this all is. He is right, in an off the cuff way. Which is the way he meant it. Are you offended by what he said? Well if you are, I think you're taking it personally when you shouldn't.

I used to hate Oasis, basically because my older brother listened to it CONSTANTLY when he lived at home. But I love them now, my favourite band by far. The are incredibly honest. I've watched hundreds of interviews, seen them live twice, and listen to their music nearly everyday. Live, they are up there with the best. IN MY OPINION. Their attitudes got them where they are today. Yes there are twats sometimes, but them so is everyone. Even me  Wink

GDB

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:19 am

And Noel would know all about this wouldn't he? Where did he read this, some tabloid?

Having said this, he is often witty and a good interviwer, unlike his much further down the evolutionary scale brother.

1994 seems longer than 12 years ago, Oasis were a much needed blast when they appeared, a friend at work saw them on 'The Word', reckoned they'd be worth seeing since they were playing the small 'Old Trought' venue in Windsor.
(Sadly closed the following year, great place to see bands, often quite successful ones).

So got tickets from a nearby record shop.
Just as well, the place was heaving, and Oasis were literally a blast.
One of the best gigs I've ever been to
Another friend, who ignored our 'get a ticket' advice couldn't get in, along with 100's of others.
Fantastic show, in a venue that at most, held about 200 people, up there seeing the unknown (to me), Stone Roses at Brunel University in 1989.
Next saw them in the June, at another now closed venue, the Marquee in Central London.
Bumped into Liam before they went on, had a chat.

Then two months later, at the Forum in North London.
Near to Christmas, at the Palais nightclub in Hammersmith, West London, the best Oasis gig I went to.

The first album was great, almost up there with 'Never Mind The Bollocks'.

Saw them at the seminal Earls Court show in 1995, within a few days of each other, at Brighton and Bornemouth at the end of the year.
Those early singles, usually had 3 other tracks that were often as good as the single, you thought either Noel was a new great songwriter, or he's putting all his good stuff too soon.
Turned out to be the latter.

Unlike the general public, who brought 'What's The Story' in the millions, I was lukewarm on it.
It needed those tracks that had been recent B sides.
Saw the classic Knebworth show in 1996, not a great Oasis performance though, The Prodigy blew them off the stage.

Then that awful, cocaine addled, overblown, unfocussed 3rd album, and the Earls Court show that year, 1997, was not a patch on 2 years before.
As an album, the 3rd one was a good E.P.

Lost interest after that, saw them as part of Reading 2000, put did not hang about.
Certainly not brought any of their albums.

[Edited 2006-11-28 19:23:09]

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:27 am

What is it about celebrities that gives them "omniscience" concerning current events?

Perhaps nothing. And yet their words do resound in the public sphere, simply because they are well-known.

It is, possibly, best to take their comments in that light.
What's fair is fair.

fumanchewd

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:07 am

Oasis? Weren't they that 90s band who ripped off the Beatles? No talent.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

srbmod

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:29 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 23):
So got tickets from a nearby record shop.
Just as well, the place was heaving, and Oasis were literally a blast.
One of the best gigs I've ever been to
Another friend, who ignored our 'get a ticket' advice couldn't get in, along with 100's of others.
Fantastic show, in a venue that at most, held about 200 people, up there seeing the unknown (to me), Stone Roses at Brunel University in 1989.
Next saw them in the June, at another now closed venue, the Marquee in Central London.
Bumped into Liam before they went on, had a chat.

I missed my first chance to catch them here in Atlanta back in early 1995. They played at the Masquerade, a venue that holds several hundred. My friends were going, so I decided at the last minute to go. The show was sold out, and one of my other friends sold his extra ticket, not knowing the show was sold out. He later told me that had it know it earlier, he would have saved it for me. This concert was legendary; folks were literally swinging from the rafters it was so rocking of a show. It took five years for me to finally see them in concert (At Music Midtown in May of 2000. I called in sick to work just to see them), as two of the three times they were supposed to play here prior, they canceled the show because Noel and Liam were warring yet again. The one time they did play, I knew I couldn't get that night off.

777236ER

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:36 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 24):
What is it about celebrities that gives them "omniscience" concerning current events?

People like you giving them the publicity they want?

vikkyvik

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:47 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 24):

Absolutely nothing. They have opinions, same as everyone else. Theirs are just more often aired in front of a microphone. You don't have to listen.

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 25):
Weren't they that 90s band who ripped off the Beatles?

And were quite open and honest in admitting it  Smile
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

cedarjet

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:21 am

Blur were better.

Tough call cos Oasis were unquestionably the better band, Blur were middle class art school bourgeous playing at being Mockneys. But I have to say, Oasis put up their weakest single in this battle and probably, hurts to say, did not deserve better than the no 2 position they got. And as Damon Albarn said, "We won the battle but lost the war."

Actually, Oasis aren't washed up at all

This is broadly true.

He's right though isn't he? In his defence what he said has been twisted as it has come out today. Liam is the tit if you ask me, Noel is the better of the bunch and fairly down to earth.

Also true. Noel is unquestionably a wise soul and I can't disagree with him on this one, it irritiates me beyond belief when the right wing press whip up these crocodile tears for those fallen on in their voluntary service to the world oil protection service - I hate the implication that we are supposed to sympathise with a group of men who are at best a problem in the path back to peace, and at worst are the main aggressors in the Iraq war. Back on the comedy road, I should add that Liam does occasionally come out with some remarkable streams of consiousness, notably saying the (living) Beatles who had whined that Oasis were ripping them off "should eat more pies", or wandering around the stage at Wembley Stadium (also live on national telly) between encores, completely arseholed, telling the (72,000 + TV at home) crowd how Patsy had left him with nothing but a teabag, and "This place is a shithole. I ate playing shitholes." Or, my personal favourite, seeing him interviewed on MTV America and being so ethnically Manc / shitfaced / belligerent, that they added subtitles.

Quoting GDB (Reply 23):
Unlike the general public, who brought 'What's The Story' in the millions, I was lukewarm on it.

Not true, What's The Story is unquestionably the definitive album of the 90s, trouncing Nevermind, Parklife, Spice (ho ho), you name it. Not only the biggest rock album of the era, it also was the post-club soundtrack for the entire 90s E / Ibiza generation. It's a perfect album - from Hello to Champagne Supernova via Wonderwall. Come ON, what are you thinking? IT'S PERFECT.

Quoting GDB (Reply 23):
Then that awful, cocaine addled, overblown, unfocussed 3rd album

Hahahahahaha. Fuck. D'OH!!!! God, Be Here Now is the worst album of all time. I could sooner listen to the New Kids On The Block christmas album (if there is one; probably there is) than that steaming pile of turd. For one thing, it's SO GODDAM LONG!! A CD can hold 74 minutes of music, because 74 minutes, dear friends, is the length of Karajan's Beethoven 9th symphony, and the top guy at Sony when the format was design-frozen was a fan. Be Here Now, while exactly as long, is at the opposite end of the spectrum of quality, dynamic range, clarity of thought or artistic expression. MR GALLAGER, STEP AWAY FROM THE DRUGS!!

Quoting GDB (Reply 23):
the Earls Court show that year, 1997, was not a patch on 2 years before.

Yes, this must be the Be Here Now tour, where they emerged onstage from a phonebooth, as per the crappy album cover? I remember a review which said Liam emerged looking like your sheepish mate pissing in someone's front garden.

Quoting GDB (Reply 23):
Lost interest after that, saw them as part of Reading 2000, put did not hang about.

I was at that too, I really liked the show actually, they were flogging the grammatically-wonky Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants, which had a few good tunes. Nothing I'd have in the house, but some cool stuff live and the album included Fucking In The Bushes which was a great intro-tape, finally mastering the art of getting the show underway, and overcoming the telephone booth fiasco. I knew Alan White before he was in Oasis - he was in a band on Island called Starclub and working in a drum shop in Golden Square when Noel fired Tony (the drummer on Definitely Maybe and before), Noel asked around for recommendations and both Alan McGee and Noel's Modfather, Weller, knew Alan cos his brother Steve White has been Weller's drummer since Live Aid in 85, so Alan got home from the pub one night to his Mum's where he was living, she said "someone called Noel phoned and he wants you to be in his band called Oasis" - who were about to release Some Might Say. It was too late to phone so he had to wait til morning. He met Noel in Crouch End and Noel gave him the single of Some Might Say and said learn it by Wedneday, we're doing Top Of The Pops. Anyway on the same bill at Reading was Primal Scream, and I know their drummer quite well, so it was quite funny to see the bands back to back. Darren is an amazing drummer but Primal Scream bore the living shit out of me, they're Be Here Now from beginning to end. Horrible!

Quoting GDB (Reply 23):
Certainly not brought any of their albums.

Me either but I'm glad they're still around.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:35 pm

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 28):
Absolutely nothing. They have opinions, same as everyone else. Theirs are just more often aired in front of a microphone. You don't have to listen.

Technically, they don't have to air their opinions, either.
What's fair is fair.

linco22

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:55 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 25):
No talent

Thats your opinion and I think they do. Its why they have survivied this long isn't it? Of course they sound like the beatles, thats their sound. Whats the problem?

Who is your favourite band?

DABZF

RE: British Rocker Says UK Troops Should Stop "Cry

Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:38 pm

For me he is correct saying that people shouldn't join the army if they don't like to be shot at. In UK you have a choice of joining the army or not.

Other than that he's a complete as*!
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

Banco

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:28 pm

Quoting Linco22 (Reply 31):
Of course they sound like the beatles, thats their sound.

It's a little bit too close for my liking. It's one thing being influenced, it's another to start lifting wholesale riffs off their favourite band. Though actually, Noel Gallagher goes through phases of being introduced to different bands and then those finding their way into the new stuff. Around the turn of the millennium, he suddenly got into the Who - even playing with them at the Teenage Cancer Trust Albert Hall gig. Sure enough, Lyla appeared as his "Oasis do the Who" track, followed by making prospective bassists do the My Generation solo as part of their audition (The Guardian memorably described that as borrowing a Ferrari to do the weekly shopping Big grin ), and then nicking the Who's drummer, Zak Starkey. Who they've stolen back, incidentally - and have just offered a full place in the band.

Still, I quite like Oasis, though I must admit to being bitterly disappointed with their live performance at Finsbury Park a few years back. I'd been looking forward to seeing them, and I thought they were rather poor. Might have been an off day.

[Edited 2006-11-29 11:29:55]

Tom12

Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:19 pm

Blur were better.

Hell Yeh!

Who is NG to tell ayone to stop crying? ... When he is in Iraq getting shot at on a daily basis or defusing road side bombs he can pass coment.

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

linco22

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting Tom12 (Reply 34):
When he is in Iraq getting shot at on a daily basis or defusing road side bombs he can pass coment

Better tell that to everyone who has no association with the armed forces then....

Banco, I don't think they are that close. I actually don't really like that many beatles songs. Can't really argue with their live performances although i've only seen them twice in the space of 3 years. I've heard various stories, but then again which band always has a good day. Live performances are very subjective to whos watching them because they must capture the mood there and then.

vikkyvik

Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:43 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 30):
Technically, they don't have to air their opinions, either.

Technically, you don't have to air yours, either.

Quoting Banco (Reply 33):
It's a little bit too close for my liking. It's one thing being influenced, it's another to start lifting wholesale riffs off their favourite band.

He even stated something to the effect of "why write your own riffs when someone's already written it better?"

Couple more wonderful Noel quotes:

"With every song that I write, I compare it to the Beatles. The thing is, they only got there before me. If I'd been born at the same time as John Lennon, I'd have been up there. "

"All I ever wanted to do was make a record. Here's what you do: you pick up your guitar, you rip a few people's tunes off, you swap them round a bit, get your brother in the band, punch his head in every now and again, and it sells. I'm a lucky bastard. I'm probably the single most lucky man in the world -- apart from our Liam."

GDB

Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:32 am

Well Cedarjet, I'd not call fighting the vile Taliban 'oil protection', rather 'finishing the job that should have been done before'.
Was securing Peace from the likes of Slobbo in former Yugoslavia, securing the citizens of Sierra Leone from blood thristy gangsterism, holding the line in the thankless task of Northern Ireland for nearly 30 years, liberating 1800 UK citizens from a blood dripping Argentine Junta, countless other deployments, as 'oil protection' either.

Please spare us the George Galloway type stuff (a quote from him-'the fall of the USSR was the most devastating event of my life').

Servicepeople do not choose where to go, I'd suggest that since 1945, when only 1968 had no operational deployments somewhere, has not shown a reluctance to expose themselves to danger.
In fact, are these tabloid stories that Noel alluded to actually true?

As for 'What's The Story', well I compared it to the body of work already released up to then, including those b sides I mentioned.
To me, cracks were showing, very much lyrically, the 'lifting' of others tunes started to become a bit too apparent there as well.
But the public did not agree!

You do know that Damon Albarn was brought up in East London and Essex, went to state schools, the often befuddled Oasis said they were not, were they just insecure? Some kind of inverted regional snobbery from a group as surburban to Manchester as Blur were to London?
Blur I think, created a much richer, wider, body of work, they could do lyrics as well.
I've seen Blur many times too, right up to 2003, they never did a poor gig.
But yes, 'The Great Escape' was not their best album, I'd rate 'Blur' from 1997, as better than anything Oasis have done since 'Definately Maybe'.
The best of the albums from 1995, from me, were 'Different Class' by Pulp, and 'It's Great when you're straight..yeah', from Black Grape.

I think the scene is better now than then, fewer obvious bandwagon hoppers to Oasis as in 1995/6.
In the past few weeks, I've seen 'The Brian Jonestown Massacre' at the Astoria, 'Primal Scream' in Hammersmith-they were mighty, the spectacular 'Flaming Lips' in Hammersmith, that's just in the last fortnight.
'Dirty Pretty Things', 'The View', 'The Futureheads' 'The Charlatans', 'The Rifles' and 'Kasabian' all coming up in the next few weeks.

Banco

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:30 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 37):
'The Charlatans',

Still a fine live act

Quoting GDB (Reply 37):
'Kasabian'

Found them live to be studenty bollocksy noodling and faffing. Like listening to a pissed Ray Manzarek, or a third-form lot practicing in their garage. Really not impressed at all.

Quoting Linco22 (Reply 35):
Banco, I don't think they are that close.

Oh they are! It's not a question of sounding exactly alike, because that finishes in court, it's a question of having specific riffs and chord progressions that seem remarkably similar to those on Beatles tracks. You can find various comparisons if you just do a quick search on Google.