mdsh00

Laptop Advice?

Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:44 am

So my Toshiba M45 that I bought in May of 2005 has been giving me trouble for the 3rd time (motherboard randomly frying).

I am looking into getting a new laptop and I am trying to decide between a Dell, HP, or Sony (I am NOT going to try my luck again with another Toshiba). My last laptop was a 15.4" widescreen. I want it to at least have a bright screen (needs the glossy scren), good sound and at least a 120GB hard drive with 1GB of RAM, which I want to keep near $1000 in price. I'm also okay with a 14" widescreen.

Has anyone recently bought a new laptop and would recommend it?
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

RichPhitzwell

RE: Laptop Advice?

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:01 am

Buy a mac...ok I had to be the first to get that out there =)

I have always liked IBM. They tend to be very rugged and stable with long battery life.

I have owned a few Sony's and still do. I probably will never buy one again. they tend to suck too much power and nothing is Sony inside a Sony computer.

my 1.2 cents.
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

tz757300

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:13 am

Never go with Dell. I have had so many problems with the Dell's that I've had. It seems every other week, some breaks, frys, gets corrupted, randomly shuts off, etc. Too much to hassle with for an everyday computer. Also, on top of that, the customer support SUCKS. Unless you want to PAY money to get some good service, you are shit outta luck.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

ShyFlyer

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting RichPhitzwell (Reply 1):
Buy a mac...ok I had to be the first to get that out there =)

You forgot the "Signed, Klaus" part.

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 2):
Never go with Dell.

I've never had any trouble with Dells, laptop or desktop. The Dell laptop I bought in 2000 still runs great. Slow, but great.

[Edited 2006-11-24 21:50:31]
I lift things up and put them down.

Klaus

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:56 am

You owe it to yourself to at least have a closer look at a MacBook before you make the decision. It's not too unlikely that you'd discover later that you missed an excellent opportunity otherwise!

If you have any questions, just ask!

QFA380

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 2):
Never go with Dell. I have had so many problems with the Dell's that I've had. It seems every other week, some breaks, frys, gets corrupted, randomly shuts off, etc. Too much to hassle with for an everyday computer. Also, on top of that, the customer support SUCKS. Unless you want to PAY money to get some good service, you are shit outta luck.

Dell's don't suck, I've had my one since 2003 and it has never broken down and always works. Although I think it costed about AU$3000.

trav110

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 5):
Dell's don't suck, I've had my one since 2003 and it has never broken down and always works. Although I think it costed about AU$3000.

I second that, I've got one at home and it's been running quickly and relatively hassle-free for 2 years. We also have a Dell server at work, and never have had a problem save for once when a warning light started flashing. Called tech support, had it sorted out in 20 minutes; it turned out to be a non-issue.

bagpiper

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:20 am

I third the dell stuff.

Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop, bought in septemeber of '01, still runs fine! Yeah, its slow, but not too bad with XP on it for normal day-to-day stuff. I can even run a few games on it still.

bhmbaglock

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:25 am

Here's a couple things to think about:

1. Whatever you buy, spend the extra 10% or so for a business class machine. Normally they're a lot more hardy and it also will typically give you a three year warranty vs. one year (some variation on warranty but this is typical). Another advantage is that you can normally get repairs done locally within 24 hours on these vs shipping them and waiting 1-3 weeks for the consumer models.

2. FWIW, the only brand on your list that didn't have battery problems recently is HP. This is a result of tight controls on their vendors and a battery pack design that includes an extra layer of insulation as a backup in case of problems.

3. Lenovo isn't doing as good a job as IBM did with laptops but they're still one of the best out there and you might want to consider them. I sell HP and they are probably the most serious competition I run into. However, they do tend to be a bit pricey.
Where are all of my respected members going?

AirframeAS

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:28 am

I just got a brand new Dell XPS M1210 and I absolutely LOVE it! I has never given me any problems! Its a very nice, cute laptop!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

phoenixflyer

Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:49 pm

I had a Dell until recently. The computing part of it never had a problem but I had a lot of hardware problems. First it was the latch. It got stuck in the open position. Then about a year later one freed up. My CD drive would open randomly and eventually stopped working unless i held the dive tight to the case. My battery life sucked but Im pretty sure thats my fault bc I would keep it plugged in almost all the time. By the time I got rid of it I could get about 30 minutes on a full charge. But besides all that it worked fine. Any other problem I had was a windows problem. Thats why I now have a Macbook Pro.

RichPhitzwell

Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:22 pm

Dell does have a problem with conference room applications due to ground loop in the audio and ultra low voltage being sent through the monitor out vga causing many issues with projectors and other devices recognizing that a computer is even connected. Dell causes the most problems for corporate AV than any other brand.

That being said, unless you are planning on connecting to a board room AV system (high end system integration), what I said doesn't matter.

bhmbaglock

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:29 pm

Quoting Phoenixflyer (Reply 10):
My battery life sucked but Im pretty sure thats my fault bc I would keep it plugged in almost all the time.

With a proper intelligent charging unit, this is not an issue at all. The new ones from HP are astonishing. They completely eliminate this issue and will charge a completely dead battery to 95% in an hour typically.

TACAA320

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:43 pm

I sent an email to Noel asking him to bring me this December 25th this little toy

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...dE4uTibC6VZ32V3JBwQ1Os8Bl7s/2.?p=0

He already bought it !  Wink
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

corey07850

Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:54 pm

Quoting Mdsh00 (Thread starter):
I want it to at least have a bright screen (needs the glossy scren

As far as I'm aware Dell doens't offer this type of screen, so unless I'm mistaken you can scratch them off your list

David L

Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 7):
I third the dell stuff.

Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop

I "fourth" it. My dad has an Inspiron 8100 and an older 7000. He's about to buy another Dell once Vista comes out. He had a couple of hardware problems but the help centre was excellent. My mum also has a Dell laptop and hasn't had any problems with it.

When I bought my laptop, I would have gone for a Dell if I hadn't been going on holiday a few days later. I opted to buy from a store so I could take it with me.

texasaggie

Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:15 am

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 14):
As far as I'm aware Dell doens't offer this type of screen, so unless I'm mistaken you can scratch them off your list

Dell does offer glossy screens; my brother just got one.

AirframeAS

Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:32 am

Quoting David L (Reply 15):
He's about to buy another Dell once Vista comes out.

My Dell XPS M1210 has the Windows Vista Capability already.

AC773

Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:46 am

Quoting Mdsh00 (Thread starter):
My last laptop was a 15.4" widescreen. I want it to at least have a bright screen (needs the glossy scren), good sound and at least a 120GB hard drive with 1GB of RAM, which I want to keep near $1000 in price. I'm also okay with a 14" widescreen.

For all that jazz under 1000 bucks, I'd have to go with either the Dell Inspiron E1505 (15" widescreen) or E1405 (14" widescreen). They're good for the money, but be sure to get a CompleteCare warranty. That way, if anything goes wrong (even if you threw it off the roof), Dell will send someone out and have it fixed for you. Great stuff, and the warranty's not that expensive.

By the way, I just configured a nice E1505 with everything you want and a 2-year CompleteCare warranty, and the total came to $1074. With a 14" screen, you could undoubtedly cut that well below a grand. Happy shopping!  bigthumbsup 

Or if you want to go the MacBook route, your desired machine would be about $1300
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

roadrunner165

Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:25 pm

I currently have a Dell but plan on replacing it early next year with an Apple.
There was nothing wrong with my Dell and it will continue to be my workhorse when it comes to work and school project, I'm just really tired of Windows and want something different. If You decide to buy a Dell never pay full price! Dell is always (and I mean always!) running deals on their computers. I would suggest you monitor www.deals2buy.com to see what kind of deals Dell is running at the moment.

Adam

vaporlock

Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:58 pm

I have used Dell for many many years and have never had a problem.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 17):

I just bought a new Dell Desktop..E520 and upgraded it...it is also V//V ready.

Phyllis  bouncy 

BA767s

Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:56 pm

http://www.microanvika.com/products/zoom/SON14905.jpg

My New Sony Vaio AR11M, She is beautiful!
Come on, let's fly!

David L

Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:16 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 17):

But he's not in enough of a hurry to buy it right now. He'd rather wait till he can get one that actually comes with Vista.

TACAA320

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:13 pm

Quoting Vaporlock (Reply 20):
it is also V//V ready.

???

Quoting BA767s (Reply 21):
She is beautiful!

Is she or he in English ?
Just pure curiosity.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

corey07850

Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:52 pm

Quoting Texasaggie (Reply 16):

Dell does offer glossy screens; my brother just got one.

Yeah I just walked past the Dell stand in the mall here and saw that nearly all the laptops have them now... I guess this is a new thing for them as in the past they never had them... Pretty sweet though

mika

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 8):
1. Whatever you buy, spend the extra 10% or so for a business class machine. Normally they're a lot more hardy and it also will typically give you a three year warranty vs. one year (some variation on warranty but this is typical). Another advantage is that you can normally get repairs done locally within 24 hours on these vs shipping them and waiting 1-3 weeks for the consumer models

I second this; i just got a HP nx6310 the other month and it is sturdy like a brick! Feels like nothing could break it really. Sure the business models usually are not as esthetically pleasing as their home/entertainment counter parts but they sure feel like a genuine product.

I can recommend HP all the way, i have one stationary PC from them aswell as this laptop and what impresses me the most is their warranty deal. I got some problems with my HP screen last month and after registering the problem on HP's website i got a replacement unit sent to my door in a week! Just replace the unit and send the old one back in the same box, with no hassle or questions asked. THAT is service in my book.

AC773

Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting David L (Reply 22):
But he's not in enough of a hurry to buy it right now. He'd rather wait till he can get one that actually comes with Vista.

Actually, almost every Dell you buy these days is bundled with a free express upgrade. So in a sense, it does come with Vista.

bhmbaglock

Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting Mika (Reply 25):
I second this; i just got a HP nx6310 the other month and it is sturdy like a brick! Feels like nothing could break it really. Sure the business models usually are not as esthetically pleasing as their home/entertainment counter parts but they sure feel like a genuine product.

Funny, in the US the 6310 is the very base of the business class lineup. Not at all bad but only one year base warranty. Still very rugged and popular. They may have it rolled into one with the 6320 in your area as I've seen this sort of thing done in the past.

Quoting Mika (Reply 25):
I can recommend HP all the way, i have one stationary PC from them aswell as this laptop and what impresses me the most is their warranty deal. I got some problems with my HP screen last month and after registering the problem on HP's website i got a replacement unit sent to my door in a week! Just replace the unit and send the old one back in the same box, with no hassle or questions asked. THAT is service in my book.

Odd, normally this would be a next day replacement.

mika

Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 27):
Funny, in the US the 6310 is the very base of the business class lineup. Not at all bad but only one year base warranty. Still very rugged and popular. They may have it rolled into one with the 6320 in your area as I've seen this sort of thing done in the past.

Correct, it's a base model of HP's businness laptops. I got it for about $900 with an intel Celeron M410 /1,46ghz) and yes, it does only come with a one year warranty. No other manufacturer could provide the same conditions to me for that price though.

The nx6125 is interesting; here it comes with an AMD Sempron CPU, fingerprint reader and memory card reader. No other of the nx base models have the fingerprint reader and/or memory card reader as far as i'm concerned..why is that? I saw that particular computer sold out everywhere n(i wanted it over the nx6310 that i ended up getting), it seems very popular, and very cheap considering what you get for the money.

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 27):
Odd, normally this would be a next day replacement

Even better!

AirframeAS

Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:08 am

Quoting David L (Reply 22):

I never told him to buy it. I only stated that my laptop is capable of having the Vista program when it comes out.

Quoting AC773 (Reply 26):
So in a sense, it does come with Vista.

No. I just got my Dell, while the icon on the computer says "Designed for Windows XP; Windows Vista Capable", does not mean that the Vista program is on my computer. Its just formatted to ACCEPT the program.

bhmbaglock

Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:48 am

Quoting Mika (Reply 28):
Correct, it's a base model of HP's businness laptops. I got it for about $900 with an intel Celeron M410 /1,46ghz) and yes, it does only come with a one year warranty. No other manufacturer could provide the same conditions to me for that price though.

Wow, that's several hundred more than here!

Quoting Mika (Reply 28):
The nx6125 is interesting; here it comes with an AMD Sempron CPU, fingerprint reader and memory card reader. No other of the nx base models have the fingerprint reader and/or memory card reader as far as i'm concerned..why is that? I saw that particular computer sold out everywhere n(i wanted it over the nx6310 that i ended up getting), it seems very popular, and very cheap considering what you get for the money.

The nx6125 is being replaced with the 6325 -basically same machine with dual core. You'll probably have an easier time finding this model.

David L

Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:01 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 29):
never told him to buy it. I only stated that my laptop is capable of having the Vista program when it comes out.

Fair enough, I was just clarifying that "Vista ready" doesn't appeal to him as much as "Vista already installed" would.  Smile

Quoting AC773 (Reply 26):
So in a sense, it does come with Vista.

No. I just got my Dell, while the icon on the computer says "Designed for Windows XP; Windows Vista Capable", does not mean that the Vista program is on my computer.

Exactly. He can wait a couple of months. Actually, it looks like one sweet machine - it's a pity I can't justify a new laptop:

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...1205&s=dhs&sbc=ukdhsftdhpnotebook1

Fortunately, he doesn't need it to be particularly "portable" as it seems to blur the line between "laptop" and "desktop".  Smile

AC773

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:27 am

No. I just got my Dell, while the icon on the computer says "Designed for Windows XP; Windows Vista Capable", does not mean that the Vista program is on my computer. Its just formatted to ACCEPT the program.

That's not what I meant. I know PCs have been wearing those Vista stickers for ages, and they're pretty much meaningless.

The point I tried to get across is that if you get a Dell these days, they'll give you a coupon or something for a free upgrade to Vista when it comes out. Configure a Dell yourself, and you'll see what I mean.

AirframeAS

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:39 am

Quoting David L (Reply 31):

Actually, the laptop I have is a Dell XPS M1210, just letting you know...

Quoting AC773 (Reply 32):
I know PCs have been wearing those Vista stickers for ages, and they're pretty much meaningless.

I thought these stickers just came out recently. Im no computer wiz, mind you. And I never got a certificate about getting a free version of Vista. But thats okay...

AC773

Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 33):
And I never got a certificate about getting a free version of Vista. But thats okay...

Either it's a very recent addition to Dell's lineup, or you'd have to ask for it via a custom configuration.

AirframeAS

Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:13 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 34):

Thanks man, it is appreciated  Smile

JAL

Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:36 am

Try the Sony one some newer models have the Blu Ray disc drive.
Work Hard But Play Harder

Klaus

Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:05 pm

You shouldn't just go for a conventional PC without taking a good look at the corresponding Macintosh models.

Any new Mac can do everything a conventional PC can (including running Windows and games), but only a Mac can run MacOS X and Mac software in addition to all that.

You might still arrive at the conclusion that you want a certain Windows-limited PC, but don't just do that by default and possibly regret it later.

If you've got the opportunity, you could check out your nearest Apple store and try out the various Mac models directly; Or you could look at http://www.apple.com/ right away.

You might think that Macs are just hyped up - but some things actually do justify the hype with substance, and at least in most users' opinions the Macintosh computer is one of those things.

Whatever your ultimate choice - know what you're deciding for or against...!

bhmbaglock

Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:12 pm

Quoting AC773 (Reply 32):
The point I tried to get across is that if you get a Dell these days, they'll give you a coupon or something for a free upgrade to Vista when it comes out.

All the major manufacturers are doing this. You basically have to give MS $10 for shipping and they'll send you the update. This is retroactive to about 10/27 IIRC.

RichPhitzwell

Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 37):

I admit Mac is a Superior product overall (Unless low end Imac compared to a higher end PC) and has always had that reputation.... but they have always cost so much more. I would take a mac any day of the week over a PC as a 2.33 ghz processor will probably be about 1.5 times faster on a mac...but is it worth the extra cost? What do you think Klaus? For personal use would twice the cost really justify my dollars? Why?

I'm actually being serious, I struggle with large displays. residential will never be good enough for me, but I cant justify the extra expense for personal use.

Klaus

Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:58 pm

Quoting RichPhitzwell (Reply 39):
I admit Mac is a Superior product overall (Unless low end Imac compared to a higher end PC) and has always had that reputation.... but they have always cost so much more. I would take a mac any day of the week over a PC as a 2.33 ghz processor will probably be about 1.5 times faster on a mac...but is it worth the extra cost? What do you think Klaus? For personal use would twice the cost really justify my dollars? Why?

Macs aren't really that much more expensive - Apple just doesn't compete in the bargain bin,

If you absolutely need to go with the cheapest system around and you're consequently ready to put up with any restrictions, cruelties and loss of working time, a Mac is probably not the best system for you. In that lowest segment you will only find conventional PCs. That is also true for cheap gamer PCs with disproportionally expensive graphics cards. That's also a PC domain.

Macs are quality allround machines, and if you tried to configure comparable machines (hardware and software) as closely as possible, you'd find that the price difference to quality PCs would become much smaller or even reversed.

Even the smallest Mac mini already has a Core Duo CPU, analog and DVI digital video out, analog and digital audio in and out and both WiFi and Bluetooth built in (I currently have exactly such a mini on my desk - it's a really fine machine).

All other Macs (including the smallest MacBooks) already have Core 2 Duo CPUs (64 bit) which are significantly faster than the mere clock speed difference would suggest.

You just don't get a pared-down "bare bones" system from Apple, nor crippled operating systems or useless bundled software - they're all fully capable right out of the box. And they all come with a full version of both the operating system and a bunch of excellent applications, not a heap of crippleware which needs to be purged from the disk as quickly as possible.

You don't really pay anything for the Apple logo - you just buy a quality computer which can execute every software title on the market, regardless whether it's for MacOS X, for Windows, for Linux or for other Systems. Even conventional PCs of halfway comparable quality and feature sets would cost about the same, if not more (exceptions as above).

So unless bargain pricing and cheap 3D gaming are the absolute priority, you'll probably find that you get at least as much for your money as you would elsewhere - if not more.

AC773

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 40):
I currently have exactly such a mini on my desk - it's a really fine machine

So does this mean that you've finally put some money down for an Intel Mac?  biggrin 

On the note of price, I'm in the market for a new desktop machine myself, and I took a good hard look at the 24" iMac yesterday. While impressed by nearly every bit of it, I sauntered over to Newegg.com to see what I could do for the $2200 that my desired iMac would cost.

For $200 less than that, I put together a really nice machine with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ proc, 2 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, a Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card, and an Nvidia 8800 GTS DirectX 10 video card so I can play FSX all maxed out. The icing on the cake was the addition of two 19" Planar LCDs and a Colorvision Spyder to calibrate them.

It's not that Macs don't offer a great product and a great value (they do), it's just that I prefer something a little more tailored to my needs. It's also much more upgradeable than an iMac (I can slap in a nice quad-core proc should I desire one) and because it's a standard PC, I can re-use the 160 GB RAID 1 array from my old computer.

Of course I realize that most people won't have the needs (or PC-building abilities) that I do, but I just thought I'd throw out a little spiel as to why I'm turning down your (Klaus) offer once again.

That said, if Apple has released an ultraportable notebook by the time I chuck my Dell in a year or two, I'll be all over it. Smile

Klaus

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:46 am

Quoting AC773 (Reply 41):
So does this mean that you've finally put some money down for an Intel Mac?

Not for this one; It's a test/demo machine of a customer. My MacBook Pro 17" is being shipped right now...! Big grin  hyper 

Quoting AC773 (Reply 41):
On the note of price, I'm in the market for a new desktop machine myself, and I took a good hard look at the 24" iMac yesterday. While impressed by nearly every bit of it, I sauntered over to Newegg.com to see what I could do for the $2200 that my desired iMac would cost.

Completely different products there. But it highlights the fact that none of the PC manufacturers has a really compelling all-in-one solution right now. Just like Apple doesn't have cheap game-specific machines.

By the way: Very big screens are always substantially more expensive than standard ones. No surprise there.

For most people who actually use their computers for anything other than as a game console, the iMac will probably be the more satisfying solution all in all (and it still runs most games pretty well anyway).