Blackbird07
Topic Author

Getting Back Together With The Ex...?

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:13 am

This is sort of an advice thread I guess, just a bit of reaching out to my new-found community for a few brain jogs...To those who have noticed I've been on hiatus for a bit since first joining, trying to fix a few things in my personal life and busy with work and such. But with the personal life, that's where the below comes in...

Anyway, for the first time I actually want to get back together with an Ex. We dated about a year and a half before things, well, didn't get bad, they just got stagnant. And taking the easy road out, we split instead of trying to make things better and more exciting. Just being together in any form or fashion whether shopping or talking or what have you got old, I guess. Or it seemed to. Perhaps we were both lazy? Not sure. But we ended it in July.

I've gone out with a few men here in the city since that for dinner or a Broadway show, but I found myself missing the bloke in question more and more. And I've never gotten back together with someone. Once its over its over...So I thought. That was my mentality. But I've honestly been quite miserable since we split.

So I guess I'm just reaching out to anyone who has given eachother a second chance, and has it really worked? Are you still together? Did it end just as badly for a second time? I don't want to be setting myself up for heartache again, but I've spent alot of time with him over Thanksgiving holiday to see how things sit on a friendship level, and it just felt so good to be back and not arguing or pointing fingers. I don't think I have Holiday fever and want someone for the impending Christmas lovey dovey season, I think I actually just want to go back and try to make it work...But I suppose I'm afraid.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward..."

L410Turbolet

RE: Getting Back Together With The Ex...?

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting Blackbird07 (Thread starter):
So I guess I'm just reaching out to anyone who has given eachother a second chance, and has it really worked?

No.  no 

Are you still together?

No.  no 

Did it end just as badly for a second time?

Yes.  yes 

I don't want to be setting myself up for heartache again

Then move on, because you're just asking for it.

JakeOrion

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:32 am

First, here you go:

http://www.handbag.com/relationships/couples/secondtimearound/

My opinion:

Don't do it. I've known many people do this and 99% of them said it actually never works out. Your feeling insecure and going through "I really miss him/her." stage. It takes time to heal. When I read this:

We dated about a year and a half before things, well, didn't get bad, they just got stagnant.

that normally sends a clear signal to me that the romance is gone. Unless you both try to keep the romance in the relationship, it will end in disaster. To me, it sounds like neither of you tried to keep the romance up, therefore, IMHO, its over. Either way, best wishes and good luck.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

IFEMaster

Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:45 am

No, you shouldn't get back with your ex.

Hey, how about an a.net mini-meet at my place?

Signed,

All the guys on a.net who added you to their RU lists. They added you because you're hot.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Boeing Nut

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:12 am

Do what's in your heart, but here's some more evidence that it's probably not a good idea....

Pam and Kid Rock divorcing

Best of luck to you.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

Blackbird07
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:25 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 3):
Signed,

All the guys on a.net who added you to their RU lists. They added you because you're hot.

Har har.  banghead 
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward..."

BMIFlyer

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:26 am

Heather, I'm not good with advice on issues like this, hell I had to ask for my own advice on here about something similar, quite a long time back.

I'd say "No", because well, I don't see how a 2nd time round can be any better than the first. I mean, why split in the first place in that case?

In the end, it's your choice what you do  Smile

Signed,

All the guys on a.net who added you to their RU lists. They added you because you're hot

Yeah sure
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

EasternSon

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:27 am

There's an expression I once learned the hard way:

"You can't put spoiled milk back in the fridge..."

See what I'm saying?
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

trvyyz

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:36 am

You know the guy and if you feel that there is still something in it. Go for it.

There is no general rule on these topics. All you have is statistics and things do work out for those lucky people who don't form a part of the majority.

All the best!!!

trekster

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:39 am

DONT

I tried that myself, and boy it turned out to be the wrong thing to do, and now will be a while till i can fully trust someone again.
Where does the time go???

SlamClick

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:42 am

has it really worked?

Hard to say, we've only been back together 21 years. Hell, anything could happen.

Are you still together?

Yes.

Wife and I, married 14 years, split up. She remarried. I very nearly did. She divorced, I had to step in to help her with issues relating to our kids. We ended up back together. Second marriage is now (to our mutual astonishment) longer by half than the first one.

It was not always easy. Frankly you do carry baggage from the first into the second. You try not to, you intellectually get it that you can't do that, but you do. On the other hand, some things were easier than making the needed adjustments into a new relationship with someone else.

What made it work was the abiding friendship that we both treasured, and which had survived the divorce, and our realistic view that we were probably the best choice for each other. Without those things I think it would have been extremely painful and difficult.

Good luck either way.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

A332

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:46 am

Not generally a good idea... typically the only thing you will find rewarding is the sexual encounters... but the relationship will still have the same concerns it had when it was called off... I speak from experience.

In fact, I still see an ex occassionally for the 'goods'... but that is it. I can never see the two of us together again.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

andessmf

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:50 am

OK, let me see if I can put my thoughts into good words of explanation.

Your profile says you are 25 or less. I am now 35 and can tell you that you are at an age where you might not be completely sure that this guy is long-term material and vice-versa. I don't know how much experience you have had to know whether you can literally deal with this guy for a long time.

At 25, I was fortunate to have experience that my now wife was what I wanted, and I could deal with her quirks and personality for a long time. I removed all romantic thoughts from my head and tried to see if I could handle the responsibilities.

A marriage (10 years next May) is like a business, you need constant work to keep it all together. You also have to learn to compromise and not worry too much about the little things. Romance is very nice, but it doesn't necessarily help out for a long term.

One other important, and often embarrassing, issue to discuss is the sexual part. Are you comfortable with him? Is the the best you ever had? Are there some things that bother about that now? Those pesky little sexual issues now could become something that is bigger in the future.

As you have noticed, I have not told you what to do, I merely gave you an abbreviated suggestion list to help you determine what you want.

GQfluffy

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:50 am

So I guess I'm just reaching out to anyone who has given eachother a second chance, and has it really worked?

In the two times I've gotten back together with exes, no...

Are you still together?

Again...no

Did it end just as badly for a second time?

Actually, No.

LoL, first girl I got back together with, I was still in high school, so this may be a bit more filled with drama then it should be, but here goes... She was away and university; I was still in my last year in high school. We got into a huge fight over the phone, to this day I don't remember what started it, but I am more then sure it was over something extremely childish. She wanted to break up, I didn't want to, so we went on a month or two of a very rocky relationship, and then we finally had it out and everything got better again, for maybe a year or so, with both of us just being together for two reasons (companionship from time to time, and sex...not for love).

With the second girl, I met her online, actually moved across the country to go to school with her (she lives in North Carolina). This was probably stupid...this I know. I was down there about 6 months when my father got shipped overseas to Bahrain. We decided it was best I move back to Montana to be with my mom and sister. We kept it together for almost a year of one-week plane trips, and long phone calls. I go down there the summer of 2004 to spend a couple of weeks with her, and got treated like shat, and got dumped on the curbs of RDU. Fun Fun. I was heart broken, and it took me 2...almost 3 months to get back on my feet emotionally. A few months later we started talking again, and I was stupid enough to think maybe there was still something still there. Flew down there in May of 2005, and while we had fun...in more ways then one Big grin....I came to realize that it was over for a reason...and when I flew out of RDU this time...I was sad...but...content with everything we had talked about and with how we had left things. I still talk to this girl from time to time on messenger, and remain friends with her.

Ok...I guess the point of those two paragraphs is this- You may still have feelings for them, I know I think about my exes all the time. Your memories make you who you are, you will always remember those you love, or have once loved, but as someone once told me...Your exes are exes for a reason...and that reason probably hasn't gone away. If you feel you need him right now in your life, I guess go for it. Shylo here hopes it works for you...cuz it hasn't for him...
This isn't where I parked my car...

YWG

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:54 am

Just being together in any form or fashion whether shopping or talking or what have you got old, I guess. Or it seemed to. Perhaps we were both lazy? Not sure.

It sounds like what you needed was a break and some time apart to realize how much you both meant to one another. From what you've said, it sounds like you love the guy. When you can help but wonder what they're doing or who they're seeing you know it's time to give it a second shot. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? It's worth a try, and think about it, you'll be second guessing yourself for a while with "what if" and "had we...".
Go for it, tell him your feelings. I bet he'll feel the same way.

I'm semi-guilty here. She got my respect a while ago for having the guts to join a male infested internet community.

Best of luck,
Blair
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

trekster

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:56 am

Kinda the same for me. I was blindly in love.

I got dumped by txt, no explanation. And still i went back for more. Went out again for a little bit. Then split, and he never called. THEN i find out after we were to meet again to talk and see what would happen next due to the fact him saying he still had feelings for me, i find out the whole relationship was a lie. Dont do it, or u may get stung VERY badly
Where does the time go???

Blackbird07
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:13 am

For those wondering, he does know my feelings, and he's excited about the prospect of trying again. There are no silly promises of forever, or it being better than ever. Just expectations that if we were to do this again, it would be taken slow and we are to TRY.

I feel responsible in part for getting "bored" of him. I know that happens in every relationship and you have to work through it. I instead, at the first inkling, seemingly tossed him aside like a child bored with a toy. That's NOT how I saw it back THEN, but looking back, that's how he saw it and I know how much that hurts. It was a horrid thing on my part. There were mistakes he made too, but I admit I was wrong, and I've admitted to him the same.

When we were together, everything fit as if it were made for he or I. We rarely argued. When we did, it was over something dorky and stupid. I wanted the Star Wars framed print from Bed Bath & Beyond, he wanted the Jaws print. We bought both and I'll be damned if that damn shark didn't grow on me.

Anyway, I don't want to drone on, but each of you speaks from experience or heart and it definitely will make me reflect a bit before taking a step, one way or another. Thanks  

[Edited 2006-11-27 23:15:01]

madairdrie

Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:25 am

I would ignore most of the advice given above, because you cannot compare 2 relationships. So for all those who say it did not work for me - it means nothing about your relationship with this guy. Often it doesnt work getting back with someone but sometimes it does.

Glad to see you are talking it through with him which is the only way to make a relationship work - conversation, and to deal with everything together openly and honestly.

Life is an adventure and sometimes on that adventure we need to take a leap of faith if we are going to move on, and with all leaps we might fall and get hurt (if we do we dust ourselves down and get on with life) or else we make the jump and have a better life. The only other option is to stay staionary and that never works.

I would suggest also the fact you are asking the question probably means you want to go and have a go - so I would go with your feelings

Even if you end up going with him, noone knows what lies in the future and it might not work out in a few months or even a few years. But then it might be the best relationship and you might live happily ever after - there is only one way to find out and that is: - go for it girl!

Kenneth

PS Let us know what you decide!

[Edited 2006-11-27 23:28:58]

Boeing Nut

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting Blackbird07 (Reply 16):

After reading your last post Blackbird, I think I now have to agree with Madairdrie. This sounds like it's just more than a mutual interest, or just wanting to do the "horizontal mombo" again. I now say you guys should try ... but be very open and talk. (which you should do anyways...) Take it slow and voice concerns, but at the same time try to keep the flame lit - so to speak.

I wish I had more advice for you, but you know this situation better that any of us. Best wishes.

B-nut
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

halls120

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:08 am

Not just no. H*ll no! Perhaps you have a fleeting chance at success since the previous go round didn't end badly, but unless one or both of you have gone thru a significant transformation, the end result is likely going to be the same.

Yes, Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward married, broke up, remarried and have lived happily since. I suspect that is the exception, not the rule.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

MiCorazonAzul

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:13 am

not even gonna bother reading the whole explanation or details in the opening thread.......simple answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clear enough?
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

miamiair

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:18 am

You drive bl looking foreward, through the windshield. You do not drive by looking in the rearview mirror.

Slam has got to be the exception to the rule, in my experience, you just crash and burn.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

David L

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:31 am

Nooooo... Choose me!

Signed,
The few straight, male A.netters.

Seriously, I don't see why it should be ruled out, as long as you keep your eyes open (metaphorically, anyway).

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 10):

Wow! Good one  Smile but two anniversaries to remember/forget  Sad .

kmh1956

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 12):
A marriage (10 years next May) is like a business, you need constant work to keep it all together. You also have to learn to compromise and not worry too much about the little things. Romance is very nice, but it doesn't necessarily help out for a long term.

One other important, and often embarrassing, issue to discuss is the sexual part. Are you comfortable with him? Is the the best you ever had? Are there some things that bother about that now? Those pesky little sexual issues now could become something that is bigger in the future.

Some of the best and most sensible advice I've ever seen.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

dragogoalie

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:38 am

Everyone is being overly negative  Smile

If it feels right, do it. It works for some. But since you're asking here, my advice would be no. Asking here means you have some sort of doubt. And unless you know with 100% certainty that you want to get back together with him and you have a feeling that it WILL work out (though a healthy perspective is always good), don't do it.

"follow your heart" is always a good advice, and I think it fits into this situation perfectly  Smile
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

Mir

Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:47 am

Signed,

It's funny because it's true.  rotfl 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:06 am

Why would you want to get back with an Ex... when you have Lee (aka: BMIFlyer). All his ex's say he's hung like a horse. (But I don't know if that's true. You see, he's British, and I don't think "hung" and "British" are two terms that go together.  no  Wink )

When I was in college, I was a wild child. I never stuck with the same woman for very long. I enjoyed the chase far more than the relationship, and I never saw the appeal of getting serious with someone.

I met Kristin - my future wife - and we started dating, and it went on longer than I expected. She wanted it to become more serious, and I didn't. So we broke up. I started seeing a couple new girls... but the "fun" was no longer there.

I realized what I had given up.

So I won her back, she came and lived with me in Army flight school, I proposed a year into our relationship, and we married a few weeks before I deployed. She's the best thing to ever happen to me. I was out of control, and she brought order and meaning to my life. And any girl who marries a man who she knows will be deploying a lot in the next 15yrs... well she can't be that bad.  Smile

The point is... I say go for it. If I didn't realize that I made a mistake and never won my wife back... well I don't want to think where I'd be. She's been my motivation to live during some pretty hairy situations here in Iraq. Go for it.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

andessmf

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:20 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 26):

I see you were 'busy' in the last few days. Hopefully you used your time well. Riiiight??

That's an interesting story you have, somewhat similar to mine.

I actually started a casual relationship with another woman in late 95. I suddenly found myself with the girl in bed and me thinking about someone else. It was very unfair to the woman, but I couldn't lie to myself that way.

The relationship with my now wife started about that time, it had been casual with rights for a while. After being with someone else, I told her I could not think about anyone else but her.

A year passed with nothing more serious happening. She then dropped the bombshell of moving across country. I did not really try to stop it, figuring she would come back.

Literally, my world stopped the moment the airplane left the ground. If I hadn't gone to Washington D.C. two weeks later to propose (on her b-day), we would have never gotten together. And those were two miserable weeks of me waiting, and fighting, for the relationship to continue.

But it is true that a good relationship will bring order to a man's life, and so many things we accomplished together I could not have done alone.

BTW, I did not completely humiliate myself thru this process. I also put my foot down and told her what I wanted from her. That way we both started with mutual respect.

(BTW, I proposed in D.C., but she said NO. We had never really been in an official relationship, even though we had known each other for a long time. But I had to respond, and followed thru, that since I had already proposed once, she was NEXT to propose. She did that a few days after returning to SMF. Of course, after she 'proposed', it was a push from her to me to get the ring to make it official. The date of that was January 16, 1997, in the back of my office. Why in my office? That's another story)

Blackbird07
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:23 pm

Thanks for all the stories, whether cautionary or heartwarming  Smile I appreciate you all sharing them with me.

I just feel so stupid for letting him go and watching how much it broke his heart. And he's 32, so he's been around a bit longer than I, and has been through his share of relationships. It just tore me apart to see how much I mattered to him, even though I tried to play the cool unemotional Aquarius I sometimes end up being. He fought so hard to keep us together when I was trying to break us apart because of "boredom".

I had always felt like the most special girl in the world when he had some silly gesture of affection to pull from his sleeve.

(Yes, my advice to all you guys on here, girls love dorky little surprises  Smile )

My heart says yes, do it. My analytical mind is cautious. The two often fight bloody battles with eachother, yet this isn't so violent. Just cautious. I guess because my mind wants to protect my heart, because love can certainly be like flying VFR at night through a super-cell...

UH60FtRucker

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting Blackbird07 (Reply 28):
because love can certainly be like flying VFR at night through a super-cell...

wtf?  crazy 

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

andessmf

Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:56 pm

I just feel so stupid for letting him go and watching how much it broke his heart.

Matters not. What does YOUR heart and mind say?

He fought so hard to keep us together when I was trying to break us apart because of "boredom".

Now, if you can get bored now, what happens 10 to 20 years in the future? He also has a responsibility, BTW, of making certain you don't get bored.

girls love dorky little surprises

Indeed!

I guess because my mind wants to protect my heart

Try to use only your mind to make the decision. Be very cold hearted about it.

But if life has taught me anything, is that you can learn to appreciate things better once you:

1. Fight for them
2. Earn them

speedbird747BA

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:19 pm

Heather, really, this is just begging for trouble if you think youre in it for love or what ever. this guy sounds like he can be a great friend for a long time, or a meteocre boyfriend for a short while. Dont mistake a great love for a great friendship.

All the best,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

Blackbird07
Topic Author

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:42 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 29):
wtf?

-UH60

Basically...Blind and stupid :p

MUWarriors

Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:21 pm

There is no magic bullet here. Both my attempts have ended either poorly, or hideously, depending on which time, and both times my friends knew (as did I, I suppose) going in it was a bad idea, but I have friends who are married after breaking up. So I think the key is to ask friends who were close to you throughout the first time what they think. They have a different, less emotionally attached view than you do. Remember, as a rule of thumb we remember the good much more than the bad when it comes to our own lives. Also, take the time to ask yourself if you can honestly say you won't get bored again. If you can't say you won't get bored, chances are you will, and it really isn't worth your or his emotional investment. In the end, do what you think is right, but take time to think it through, and talk to others. The only unaltering rule I would have on this is don't make your decision while drunk at a wedding reception. That I can guarantee will end badly.

BMIFlyer

Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 26):
Why would you want to get back with an Ex... when you have Lee (aka: BMIFlyer). All his ex's say he's hung like a horse. (But I don't know if that's true. You see, he's British, and I don't think "hung" and "British" are two terms that go together.

Thanks for the erm, comments.  Wink

Certainly cheered me up for today Big grin

Heather is rather cute tho  angel 

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Mir

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 29):

wtf?

Chopper pilots......  Yeah sure

Wink

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

CHRISBA777ER

Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting David L (Reply 22):
Nooooo... Choose me!

Signed,
The few straight, male A.netters.

LOL!!!
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???