stlgph

Are You With Sirius Or XM?

Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:57 am

Might not matter too much longer. Analysts are predicting a merger of the two within the next 18 months.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_4734662

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds or if such a merger proposal would be blocked by anti-trust concerns.

It probably is very true that about 50 % of the expenditures by either company is money spent trying to outdo the other.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

srbmod

RE: Are You With Sirius Or XM?

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:30 am

I've been hearing Sirius-XM merger rumors for months. The US Airways-Delta merger is more likely to happen than a Sirius-XM merger. The biggest stumbling block to the merger is that when the FCC granted Sirius and XM their SDARS licenses, one of the conditions that were put on both companies was that if they were to merge, they have to give up one of the licenses.

The DOJ is very hesitant to monopolies in satellite companies. A good example to use is the blocked merger between DirecTV and EchoStar (Owner of Dish Network). It was blocked because it would have led to a monopoly in the satellite TV market (Echostar and DirecTV had over the years, bought up smaller companies in the industry).

The big question is "Who would buy the SDARS license that will have to be sold?" I wouldn't be surprised if News Corp. or CBS Corp. (or even a joint venture of the two companies) were to pick it up.

AirTranTUS

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:36 am

I have neither but have seriously thought about getting XM. Some restaurants in campus play XM and it seems great. After looking at the channel comparisons, XM is the better choice for me.
I love ASO!

deltagator

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:40 am

I have XM since it came with our Honda Odyssey and Accord. A friend of mine has XM in his Honda but Sirius in his wife's Dodge Caravan. He'll be switching to Sirius when they move the NASCAR channel over there next year. I'm happy with XM though I wish I could get SEC sports on there versus the crappy ass PAC-10 and Big-10 channels.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ArmitageShanks

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:50 am

I and the 3 others in my family have XM. We love it.

I highly doubt they'll be a merger. I've heard interviews with big wigs at XM and they say they're not even thinking about doing that.

Pope

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:12 am

Isn't the equipment incompatible?
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

Queso

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:23 am

I have XM. My brother gave it to me last Christmas and added me to the plan he already had for a seemingly paltry sum. I really enjoy it and it would take me a long time to get used to not having it if I ever found myself without it (like on a trip to BHM or something).

miamiair

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 6):
(like on a trip to BHM or something).

The rental we he got had Sirius. I wouldn't kmow how the radio was in BHM...
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

KROC

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:37 am

I have had Sirius for a year now and I love it. Shortly I'll add another one onto my current subscription as well.

Go3Team

Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:41 am

XM here as well. Someone on one side of the aisle, seems to neither confirm or deny the rumors of a merger, but plays it up like it is going to happen. One would think it is to get their stock price up as it keeps floundering around the $3-4 area. The other company has fallen a lot since its high, but is still more than 3 times the amount of the other company.
Yay Pudding!

ArmitageShanks

Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:37 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 5):
Isn't the equipment incompatible?

Yes, but one of the requirements imposed by the government is that both companies "take steps" to make compatable systems.

Duff44

Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:48 am

I've had Sirius since December '05, and I love it. NFL, Howard Stern, NASCAR coming in '07, and a bunch of different rock stations. What's not to love? Big grin

As for a merger... Howard Stern talks about it occasionally, but seems to think it won't happen for the previously mentioned regulatory reasons.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

srbmod

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:19 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 10):
Yes, but one of the requirements imposed by the government is that both companies "take steps" to make compatable systems.

Right now, it's still in baby steps, as nothing firm has been announced in regards of actual units. There is a company, Interoperable Technologies, LLC, that is working with both companies to develop receivers that can receive both companies' programing. The monthly subscription would be $26 (at least that's how much it was rumored be about 5 months ago when the info first came out).

Visteon makes a car stereo headunit that can receive either Sirius or XM without having to buy a Sirius or XM headunit in addition.

JeffSFO

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:43 am

Quoting STLGph (Thread starter):
Are You With Sirius Or XM?

Both. XM digital music channels come with a premium DirecTV subscription so I get it by default. Signed up for Sirius a month ago and listen to it online.

halls120

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:38 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 2):
I have neither but have seriously thought about getting XM. Some restaurants in campus play XM and it seems great. After looking at the channel comparisons, XM is the better choice for me.

I have XM, as it came on my Acura. Love it.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

NeilYYZ

Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:45 am

I've been with Sirius for about a year now, couldn't be happier, although I just broke my receiver the other day so I guess I'll have to shell out for the new Sportster model which looks great!
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

jfk69

Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:22 am

4 Subscriptions to XM since 2004. Best damn thing. I had sirius for 7 months before I got the XM....had some good channels but the reception sucked. I recommend XM to all my friends.