RobK
Topic Author

Problems Following C: Drive Defragmentation

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:29 pm

Greetings all,

After removing umpteen old music and movie files to free up some disk space on my PC I decided to really push the boat out and do a defrag as well. It took the best part of 12hrs to do it (!) and the idea is that your PC is meant to run oh so much better after it. Well mine doesn't. It's running far worse than what it was beforehand so I'm not happy at all. Is there any way I can un-defrag it back to the way it was???!!

That aside, what I'm wanting help with is the auto-complete feature for url's and file names in folders. Before I defraged they used to auto-complete. I work with a lot of image file names and being able to pull them out straight out of the folder by typing the first few letters of the name was a God send but now my typing doesn't pick them or anything else out. Why has it stopped auto-completing for me? Same applies to the url's. I'm more familiar with the url's as I know this happens when you delete your history/cache/tif's etc but I can't get the auto-complete working at all despite having the function as being "on" in the tools, internet options, content, auto-complete section.

Anyone know what's going on and can offer a solution before I pull what's left of my hair out please??!

Cheers,

R

andessmf

RE: Problems Following C: Drive Defragmentation

Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:41 pm

The history can be wiped out by your cleaning up, so this can affect your auto-complete function.

As to defrag, I don't know what type of system you have, but if it took 12 hrs to complete I would guess that you need to do it a couple more times till everything is really clean. Did the defrag report tell you that there were still fragmented files? And how much % free space do you have? The recommended percentage of disk space available is 25%.

RobK
Topic Author

Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:22 pm

Andes, thanks for your reply.

I have typed in url's since though and they're not being remembered/auto-completed when I type them in again.

I'm running W2K Pro here. I can't remember how much disk space I had before defragging but it wasn't a right lot. It now says I've got 60% free space available.

R

BigOrange

Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:57 am

Try using CCleaner. That allows you to select what you want to delete and what you want to keep.

IFEMaster

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:07 am

Windows Defrag is absolutely atrocious at defragging. I would do the following:

Run a boot time check disk.

Get diskkeeper and use it's set-and-forget feature to keep your drive defragged in the future.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

RobK
Topic Author

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:31 am

Thanks for the replies. The problems I experienced were only shortlived and it soon returned to normal and is running much faster than it did before.

spin 

R

NWDC10

Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:45 am

I always defrag in "Safe Mode" It works better. Robert NWDC10