D L X
Topic Author

UMich Should Be #2: No Reasonable Arguments Left

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:54 am

USC goes down AGAIN!!! Are you freakin' kidding me? Two losses to unranked teams? Can you say overrated?

I can.

It will be OSU-Michigan II - The REMATCH.

http://www1.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1445776/

[Edited 2006-12-03 01:54:55]

deltagator

RE: UMich Should Be #2: No Reasonable Arguments Left

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:56 am

Quoting D L X (Thread starter):
It will be OSU-Michigan II - The REMATCH

BORING. You had your chance. If Florida wins they should play against OSU. You can try again next year.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

D L X
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:58 am

Florida's not as good a team. Sorry, bub. They're good, but not as good.

If Florida somehow jumps Michigan in the polls, it will be because HUMAN pollsters didn't want to see a rematch, not because they didn't think Michigan was the second best team in the country. According to Slive, the National Championship Game is to set up the two best teams in the country, period. If Michigan doesn't go to Glendale, the BCS is officially a hack.

deltagator

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:02 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 2):
it will be because HUMAN pollsters didn't want to see a rematch, not because they didn't think Michigan was the second best team in the country.

So what? Florida has one loss and so does Michigan. Florida is just as good as UM is and should have the shot instead of letting UM go at it again. Head to head we'd beat UM in my opinion but unfortunately we'll never know now that USC has lost.

Quoting D L X (Reply 2):
If Michigan doesn't go to Glendale, the BCS is officially a hack.

BS! If UM goes then the BCS is a hack. UM had their chance and lost it. Giving them a rematch is bogus and will just further the calls for a playoff system. It would be the least watched and least cared about football championship of all time.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

halls120

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:03 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 1):
Quoting D L X (Thread starter):It will be OSU-Michigan II - The REMATCH
BORING. You had your chance. If Florida wins they should play against OSU. You can try again next year.

Even though my prediction in Boston92's prediction game is OSU over Michigan, I reall don't relish watching what will likely be a boring and predictable game.

Quoting D L X (Reply 2):
If Michigan doesn't go to Glendale, the BCS is officially a hack.

It already IS a hack. And a sham.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Delta767300ER

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:11 am

As a Michigan fan, I'm biased that we should get a rematch with Ohio State in the BCS Championship Bowl. Florida has a good team this year but Michigan has a better team. Michigan's only loss was to #1 Ohio State (42-39) where Florida's was 27-17 Auburn which I believe was ranked #11.

-Delta767300ER

CMHSRQ

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:15 am

17-14 UF over Arkansas in the 3rd. I really don't want OSU Michigan again, but I'm sorry to say OSU and Michigan are the 2 best teams in the country.
The voice of moderation

deltagator

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:23 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 5):
Michigan's only loss was to #1 Ohio State (42-39) where Florida's was 27-17 Auburn which I believe was ranked #11.

BFD! Auburn had been in the top 5 the week before their loss to Arkansas. I can say you beat ND when they were #2 but where are they now?

At the end of the day UM lost and don't deserve another chance. Florida should at least be considered if they win tonight.

deltagator

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:29 am

If we keep playing as we are right now we'll be stuck with a rematch whether we like it or not. What the hell is the deal with Leak?!

halls120

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:29 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 7):
At the end of the day UM lost and don't deserve another chance. Florida should at least be considered if they win tonight.

It may all be academic after that interception and runback for a touchdown by Arkansas.

The only way Florida was going to get in the championship game is by blowing out Arkansas.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

CO7e7

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 3):
If UM goes then the BCS is a hack. UM had their chance and lost it

checkmark  i couldn't agree more!

On a personal level, i think the BCS is crap regardless of who play OSU in Gelndale!

-Zaki

D L X
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:35 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 3):
UM had their chance and lost it.

A rematch is not unprecedented, and has plenty of parallels in other sports. The Redskins beat the Seahawks in the regular season, and lost to them in the playoffs last year. Can you imagine the NFL being run by pollsters who said "the Seahawks can't play the Redskins in the playoffs because they already had their chance and lost it?" In your opinion, who deserved to go to the Superbowl? No question, the Seahawks. (And I bleed burgundy and gold. And maize. And blue. FWIW, I shit scarlet and gray. Actually, I take that back. That sounds like I have a problem.  Smile )

Anyways, I think you need a new argument. That one's not working anymore.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 7):
BFD! Auburn had been in the top 5 the week before their loss to Arkansas.

If you care about what a team's ranking WAS when you played them, why no mention of losing to an unranked (at the time) Arkansas? (I may be mistaken about their being unranked, but they certainly weren't top 10.)

monorail

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:37 am

To hell with all these one loss teams!
Both Ohio State and Boise State both came out of Divison 1A undefeated.
If we're always going to digress to ranking the one loss teams by the circumstances of their loss, then the undefeateds better come first.
OSU and BSU both won their conferences. Why should you be in the national championship game if you can't even take care of business within your conference. Look at the teams that have somehow sqeezed into the BCS championship game without even winning their conference. 2003 Oklahoma? Stuffed. 2001 Nebraska? Blown out.
So let's just make it OSU-BSU in Glendale and call it a day.  stirthepot 
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!

D L X
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:38 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 9):
It may all be academic after that interception and runback for a touchdown by Arkansas.

HELLL YEAH!!!

(TO be quite honest, Florida, I don't hate you. I just want you to lose. Nothing personal.)

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 10):
On a personal level, i think the BCS is crap regardless of who play OSU in Gelndale!

As long as we have subjective polls with no playoff of any sort, I agree completely.

deltagator

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:39 am

Quoting Monorail (Reply 12):

The key difference is OSU played real teams while BSU plays schools for the deaf, blind, and wayward girls. Let them play against half the teams OSU did and they have a few losses.

D L X
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:40 am

Quoting Monorail (Reply 12):

Well, that didn't take long. I knew it was only a matter of time before the BS people would spew their bs.     

Play some real teams, then you'll get some real love.

Hey Boise! This isn't about you! Sorry, but it's true.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 14):
while BSU plays schools for the deaf, blind, and wayward girls.

OH MY GOD!! Priceless.

[Edited 2006-12-03 02:40:59]

halls120

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:44 am

Somebody better check DeltaGator's blood pressure right about now.  Smile

How could the Arkansas player have been so stupid????

deltagator

Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:47 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 16):
Somebody better check DeltaGator's blood pressure right about now.

It's higher than Snoop Dogg in the Green Room right now. I'm in my hotel in Manchester, UK right now watching it on CSTV.com and screaming and sqealing like a stuck pig.

Please God, I don't ask for much but can we win this one with some "style points?"

Duff44

RE: UMich Should Be #2: No Reasonable Arguments Le

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:00 am

Food for thought:

Opponent's record (no 1-AA teams):
Florida (assuming they beat Ark, they won't be considered if they don't): 89-57
Michigan: 84-61

Best team beaten (BCS standings):
Florida: #5 LSU, 23-10
Michigan: #7 Wisconsin, 27-13

Loss:
Florida: #11 Auburn, 17-27
Michigan: #1 Ohio St, 39-42

Tough call all around... to bad they don't settle this in a way that makes sense.  hissyfit   Yeah sure
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

APFPilot1985

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 2):
Florida's not as good a team. Sorry, bub. They're good, but not as good.

Bullshit, UM schedule was no where near as tough as Floridas

Want a reasonable argument. Floridas opponents have the highest winning percentage of ANY other teams in Football. You come out of the hardest schedule with only 1 loss and a conference championship, you deserve the BCS bid.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

maiznblu_757

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:38 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 19):
Want a reasonable argument. Floridas opponents have the highest winning percentage of ANY other teams in Football. You come out of the hardest schedule with only 1 loss

We are a bad 1AA team but were very honored to play in a game with such an awesome Florida team.

Signed,
Western Carolina

APFPilot1985

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 20):
We are a bad 1AA team but were very honored to play in a game with such an awesome Florida team.

Signed,
Western Carolina

Because CMU is such a good team. I say again, UF comes out of the harder schedule with 1 loss and a conference championship.

deltagator

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:52 am

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 20):

Signed,
Western Carolina

Perhaps you missed this nugget earlier. The record of our opponents without the 1-AA team is still better.

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 18):
Opponent's record (no 1-AA teams):
Florida (assuming they beat Ark, they won't be considered if they don't): 89-57
Michigan: 84-61

As for your signed by comment...

Thank you for paying us to come get beat by you.

Signed,

Directional (Central) Michigan and Ball State

(versus UCF and Southern Miss who were both Bowl teams the year before on our schedule in Gainesville.)

deltagator

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:54 am

And now the debate begins. We all know my opinion. Hopefully the pollsters will get it right like me.

D L X
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:57 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 19):
Bullshit, UM schedule was no where near as tough as Floridas

Actually, while Florida did have the #1 toughest schedule, Michigan was no slouch at #3.

(ESPN.)

Congrats, Florida, for winning the SEC. Good luck at the Sugar Bowl.

speedbird747BA

Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:59 am

All this is crap. 1 loss apiece, and look at floridas schedule. come on, theyre in the SEC, its gonna be harder than Michigans.

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

maiznblu_757

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:00 pm

At least Michigan scheduled all 1A teams and if you didnt see it, CMU won the MAC.

deltagator

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:02 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 24):
Actually, while Florida did have the #1 toughest schedule, Michigan was no slouch at #3.

Thank you for just making my point. Why should you with the #3 toughest schedule get to play OSU again when we with the #1 toughest schedule get locked out? We shouldn't. End of story.

Good luck in the Rose Bowl.

D L X
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:02 pm

Quoting Speedbird747BA (Reply 25):
theyre in the SEC, its gonna be harder than Michigans.

They lost to #11.

Let me be clear. Florida is an excellent team. This is nothing personal, but they're not quite as excellent as Michigan, and they haven't been all year. That's why they've been ranked below Michigan all year.

Duff44

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:05 pm

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 26):
At least Michigan scheduled all 1A teams

That's not a fair argument, because many teams scheduled 1-AA opponents simply as schedule fillers as their 12th game (which was allowed by the NCAA starting just this year).

Would Florida have scheduled WCU that late in the season otherwise? (You could say the same thing about Michigan/Ball St) It was likely the only game they could get that fit.

maiznblu_757

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:06 pm

Man,

At least the Michigan-OSU game will be good. Florida will lose big. No way can they hang with OSU.

I say, once again, if there was a playoff, there would be a rematch anyhow. So, what is the big deal about having a rematch in this system. Nothing.

deltagator

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 29):
(You could say the same thing about Michigan/Ball St)

And Michigan-CMU as well. At least 3 of our 4 "pansy" teams were bowl teams last year unlike the riff raff UM scheduled short of ND.

Quoting Maiznblu_757 (Reply 30):
I say, once again, if there was a playoff, there would be a rematch anyhow.

We'll never know so it is irrelevant.

So, what is the big deal about having a rematch in this system.

It sucks and shows how the system is broken. If UM does go to the title game I hope OSU wipes the field with your team just to prove we should have been there over you.

D L X
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 29):
That's not a fair argument, because many teams scheduled 1-AA

They could have scheduled 1A opponents, like Michigan did. Hell, they could have scheduled Boise State, and we wouldn't be having a lot of these discussions!

(For those who don't understand, Florida would have beaten Boise State into next week and they'd be 11-1. But florida would still be #3.)

speedbird747BA

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:12 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 31):
I hope OSU wipes the field with your team just to prove we should have been there over you.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

halls120

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:14 pm

At least the Michigan-OSU game will be good.

That's the problem. It most likely WON'T be a good game. Rematches during a same season usually aren't.

I can infer from your SN that you are probably a UM grad. While I admire your devotion to your team, I wonder how many people on Anet who aren't graduates of either Florida or UM feel about who shoud face Ohio State.

You know, people who are a bit more objective.  Wink

D L X
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:14 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 31):
If UM does go to the title game I hope OSU wipes the field with your team just to prove we should have been there over you.

How does that prove you should have been there? If OSU wipes the field with Michigan (which they proved unable to do on their own home turf), they would certainly make short work out of a worse Florida team.

Duff44

RE: UMich Should Be #2: No Reasonable Arguments Le

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:15 pm

I say, once again, if there was a playoff, there would be a rematch anyhow.

Right, and George Mason could never make it to the Final Four...

With a playoff, nobody 'knows' anything...

deltagator

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 35):
they would certainly make short work out of a worse Florida team.

I believe the numbers back us up as having the better stats. Are we the better team? I say yes, you say no. You had a chance against #1 while we haven't. Seems logical to me to have Florida take a crack at OSU.

D L X
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:22 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 37):
You had a chance against #1 while we haven't. Seems logical to me to have Florida take a crack at OSU.

It seems logical to you because you've ignored the very cogent arguments that suggest you're wrong. Can you respond to them?

BTW, check the new signature!  stirthepot 

CMHSRQ

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:22 pm

As a OSU fan in CMH, I can vouch for much of the city and Buckeye nation and say that we don't want to play UM again. Florida would be just fine.
The voice of moderation

APFPilot1985

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:25 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 38):
It seems logical to you because you've ignored the very cogent arguments that suggest you're wrong. Can you respond to them?

Put up a logical argument and we will respond: how about these

Florida: Conference Champion
Michigan: Not

Florida: Hardest Schedule in the NCAA
Michigan:Not

Those are facts, I am yet to see you put out one FACT that shows why UM should go over Florida

deltagator

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:27 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 38):
Can you respond to them?

You've made no arguements whatsoever other than you believe you to be the 2nd best team in the nation.

Tom in NO

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:30 pm

The only reason I care whether Florida or Michigan goes to Glendale is because it directly impacts where LSU goes bowling:

If Michigan faces OSU, LSU goes to Pasadena to face USC in the Rose...

If Florida jumps Michigan, then Michigan goes to Pasadena and LSU goes to the Sugar Bowl...

That said, being the SoCal raised guy I am, I'd like to see LSU go to Pasadena, march in the Rose Paraade, and face USC.

I won't delve into whether Florida or Michigan deserve to go to the title game.....both have good arguments.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

RayChuang

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:30 pm

At least the Michigan-OSU game will be good. Florida will lose big. No way can they hang with OSU.

I think it's going to be a very close vote on who's going to take on Ohio State in the BCS Championship game. I do agree that unless Florida fixes its quarterback situation they will be roadkill for OSU.

D L X
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:35 pm

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 40):
Put up a logical argument and we will respond: how about these

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 41):
You've made no arguements whatsoever other than you believe you to be the 2nd best team in the nation.

They do require students to know how to read, down in Florida, don't they?  Wink  Wink  Wink  stirthepot 

Look back up at Reply 11. Any responses? I'd love to hear your comments, honestly.

So was Boise State, and we all know how meritless that argument was.

Intellectually dishonest. Fla #1, Michigan #3. Not a big difference, now is it?

D L X
Topic Author

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:38 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 43):
I think it's going to be a very close vote on who's going to take on Ohio State in the BCS Championship game. I

I do too. I honestly think that this is yet further proof that the BCS has one "C" too many in its name.

I have a lot of respect for Florida, and their fans. It's too bad that they're going to have to go to New Orleans.

APFPilot1985

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 44):
So was Boise State, and we all know how meritless that argument was.

That's not the SEC though now is it.

Intellectually dishonest. Fla #1, Michigan #3. Not a big difference, now is it?

Doesn't matter how big the difference is though, FL is #1 bottom line.

Look back up at Reply 11. Any responses? I'd love to hear your comments, honestly.

Your only argument is that a rematch should happen because they have happened in the past, you present nothing on the two teams that factually shows that UM deserves to go.

deltagator

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:41 pm

Add to that Florida's wins versus bowl eligible teams on their schedule versus UM's

Florida's bowl eligible opponents (10 of 12 teams on schedule): Bama, Arkansas, Auburn, UGA, Kentucky, LSU, South Carolina, Tennessee, Southern Miss, and FSU.

Michigan's bowl eligible opponents (5 of 12 teams on schedule): Iowa, Minnesota, Penn State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame

Florida's losses to bowl eligible teams: ONE

Michigan's losses to bowl eligible teams: ONE

You wanted facts...there they are.

Edit: Mistakenly gave us no losses to bowl teams when in fact we did lose to Auburn. Wishful thinking but now fixed.

[Edited 2006-12-03 05:05:44]

maiznblu_757

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:43 pm

Quoting D L X (Reply 32):
(For those who don't understand, Florida would have beaten Boise State into next week and they'd be 11-1. But Florida would still be #3.)

I disagree. Both have Porous defenses, it would be a shootout, whoever has the ball last wins type of game.

Duff44

Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:45 pm

Look back up at Reply 11. Any responses?

That 'rematch' was the result of a playoff, and the two happened to meet.

Yes it's not unprecedented, but in a playoff you have no choice.

Fla #1, Michigan #3

The prosecution rests, your honor???

I don't think supporting someone's argument works when you're trying to dispute it.  scratchchin