S12PPL
Topic Author

The Official Florida In BCS Title Game Thread

Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:22 am

Sorry Michigan fans. Florida has leap frogged you in the AP and USA Today polls, giving a strong indication of how the BCS will unfold.

Here is why:

Florida played the toughest schedule in the nation.

Florida won their conference.

Michigan had their shot at Ohio State...And FAILED

Michigan fans will cry foul, and whine about it. But the fact of the matter is, that at 8:00 PM EST, we will see Florida matched up against TOSU in Glendale.

Way to fuck up, USC.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

AirCop

RE: The Official Florida In BCS Title Game Thread

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:17 am

Agreed with on the following points:

Quoting S12PPL (Thread starter):

Michigan had their shot at Ohio State...And FAILED

Michigan fans will cry foul, and whine about it. But the fact of the matter is, that at 8:00 PM EST, we will see Florida matched up against TOSU in Glendale.

Way to fuck up, USC.

Florida is a conference champ, Michigan is tied for second with Wisconsin. Florida should go.

deltagator

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:49 am

Plain and simple...if you can't win your conference there is no way you are one of the 2 top teams in the nation.

Michigan fans will cry foul, and whine about it.

True, but if Florida got left out we'd be bitching and moaning just as much.

Way to fuck up, USC.

Ain't that the truth. And I like USC...but my heart is in Hoggtown sitting in The Swamp.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

D L X

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:52 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 2):
Plain and simple...if you can't win your conference there is no way you are one of the 2 top teams in the nation.

That's terrible logic. Three of the top 10 teams in the country are in the Big Ten. Clearly, you can lose your conference and still be one of the best. I'll grant you that losing the conference means there's at least one team better than you, but it does not imply there are two.

D L X

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:54 am

Let's face it people: if Florida is in the BCS title game, it's because pollsters didn't want to see a rematch, and SEC people whined louder than everyone else. Let's see the computer rankings before you fucking crown them.

BTW, as another note, if it's true, I will be a big Gator fan shortly.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting D L X (Reply 4):
Let's face it people: if Florida is in the BCS title game, it's because pollsters didn't want to see a rematch, and SEC people whined louder than everyone else. Let's see the computer rankings before you fucking crown them.

Your damn right the majority of the reason is because no one wants to see a re-match!  Smile Remember? Michigan had a shot. Lost. Florida had a tougher schedule that UM. Florida deserves their chance.

And let's face facts here. Mack Brown stated all this whining to the pollsters crap by whoring himself to them in 2004.

deltagator

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:44 am

I wouldn't call what Urban Meyer has done anything remotely close to the whining that Mack Brown did for Texas. Meyer has laid out his opinion of why he thinks Florida should go and that either way, either team, how much we need to have a playoff system for the national title.

As for whining Florida fans...please show me where a fan or group of fans has the ability to sway pollsters. We need a playoff dammit!
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

AirTranTUS

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:16 am

Has anyone seen the ESPN map of which states are voting for Florida or Michigan? It looks almost exactly like a map of a Presidential election. The southeast is red (Florida) the northeast and parts of the west are blue (Michigan). It appears that Ohio wants to play Florida. Gladly votes are not counted electorally. I voted for Florida because I have family that went there. I also have family that are currently at OSU. Who to root for?
I love ASO!

nonrevman

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 2):

Too bad the BCS cannot figure this out. After all, Nebraska and Oklahoma have been allowed into the big game right after losing their final game (and the conference).

Quoting D L X (Reply 3):
That's terrible logic. Three of the top 10 teams in the country are in the Big Ten. Clearly, you can lose your conference and still be one of the best. I'll grant you that losing the conference means there's at least one team better than you, but it does not imply there are two.

By this logic, then Colorado and Kansas State should have been in the title game for beating Nebraska and Oklahoma respectively.

TedTAce

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:29 am

Where are the Hurricanes?

Wink
This space intentionally left blank

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 am

Quoting Nonrevman (Reply 8):
By this logic, then Colorado and Kansas State should have been in the title game for beating Nebraska and Oklahoma respectively.

.....what?
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

USAFHummer

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:47 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 10):
.....what?

He left out the years...further clarification:

Colorado beats Nebraska 62-36 in 2001, CU goes on to represent B12 North in B12 championship (Neb does not even win their own division within in a conference!) Neb still goes to nat'l championship game...and gets assraped by Miami there...

Kansas State beats Oklahoma 35-7 in Big 12 championship game in 2003, Oklahoma goes to nat'l championship game...Oklahoma loses there too...
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 11):

Colorado beats Nebraska 62-36 in 2001, CU goes on to represent B12 North in B12 championship (Neb does not even win their own division within in a conference!) Neb still goes to nat'l championship game...and gets assraped by Miami there...

Kansas State beats Oklahoma 35-7 in Big 12 championship game in 2003, Oklahoma goes to nat'l championship game...Oklahoma loses there too...

Ah yes, I see. I still don't get his logic comments as the Big Ten doesn't have a title game, which makes things a bit different.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

deltagator

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:33 am

Does anyone know if the BCS Selection Show is available over the Internet? It seems in some sort of blunder on their part BBC and Sky News have decided not to break into 24 hour cricket coverage to induldge their Gator visitor this evening.

Though I am enjoying a rebroadcast of an old U2 concert from the ZooTV tour on BBC4 right now I need to know the results!

Edit: Spellcheck

[Edited 2006-12-04 01:34:15]

halls120

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:39 am

Way to fuck up, USC.

While I am USC fan, I'm almost happy they didn't win. Getting trounced two years in a row wouldn't be good for the program.

Listening to all the whining from the UM fans, though, makes it a bit easier to see USC lose and Florida possibly make it into the title game.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

LTU932

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:47 am

I don't understand this poll thing in NCAA (American) Football since I first started watching it. Why doesn't the NCAA do playoffs like in the NFL or put up something general, where the system is fully unified, not separated in BCS polls, ESPN polls, etc.

deltagator

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:55 am

The only thing the NCAA doesn't do playoffs in is Division 1 college football. Division 1-AA, Div.2, and Div.3 all have playoff systems and so does every other sanctioned sport.

It is an antiquated system with massive monetary tie-ins to bowl games that will be very hard to break due to many factors. We could explain stuff to you for a week and you'd still be lost. We are with it half the time ourselves.

maiznblu_757

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 15):
Why doesn't the NCAA do playoffs

They do... all except for NCAA 1A.

Id much rather see Boise State get it than Florida. Its not even going to be a close game. Cant wait for the Buckeyes to knock the snot out of the Gators. Mark my words, it will be a woodshed beating of EPIC proportions.

deltaownsall

Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:58 am

how outrageous is this bcs show lol~

could they milk it any more!?

LTU932

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:03 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 16):
The only thing the NCAA doesn't do playoffs in is Division 1 college football. Division 1-AA, Div.2, and Div.3 all have playoff systems and so does every other sanctioned sport.

It is an antiquated system with massive monetary tie-ins to bowl games that will be very hard to break due to many factors. We could explain stuff to you for a week and you'd still be lost. We are with it half the time ourselves.

Thanks for the clarification.

Falcon84

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:12 am

Was watching the NFL pregame show on NBC, just to see some highlights, and on the bottom of the screen they said taht it will be OSU and UF, so someone at NBC had a ringer in the selection show or something.  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

halls120

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:13 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 19):
Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 16):The only thing the NCAA doesn't do playoffs in is Division 1 college football. Division 1-AA, Div.2, and Div.3 all have playoff systems and so does every other sanctioned sport.

Thanks for the clarification.

The overwhelming factor is the almighty dollar. The current system is simply too profitable for corporate America to change, and the Division I college presidents sold their souls a long time ago.

Take a look at Sally Jenkins' excellent article on the BCS travesty, "BCS Championship Is a Game Already Lost"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...le/2006/12/01/AR2006120101743.html
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

deltagator

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:14 am

Wife just called me and said they announced on the BCS show that it will be Florida. Sorry Michigan. Better luck next year.

Falcon, good luck to you guys. I say we'll win, you'll say you'll win and now we just have to wait until January 8th to settle the whole damn thing.

NeilYYZ

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:19 am

I'd love to see Florida win because I was hoping that Michigan would get the chance to have a re-match, however, since that didn't happen, I'm going for the Gators. In all reality though, I think it'll be Ohio State by a fair margin.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

vikkyvik

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:30 am

Way to fuck up, USC.

cry 

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 14):
While I am USC fan, I'm almost happy they didn't win.

Well, as tortuous a game as it was for Trojan to watch, so am I. As I said in that other thread:

"I say fuck it, let Florida play OSU in the championship. Then, Michigan and USC can play in the Rose Bowl, and we can decide once and for all who's the better team. Then one side or the other can finally shut the fuck up."

So I'm actually getting my wish!

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 14):
Listening to all the whining from the UM fans, though, makes it a bit easier to see USC lose and Florida possibly make it into the title game.

Yes indeed! My cousin/roommate went to Michigan. It's quite fun to throw it all in his face every now and then. But it'll make for a contentious day here in the apartment during the Rose Bowl.  Smile

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

S12PPL
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:53 am

DLX is strangely quiet all of a sudden...