airtran737

John Bolton Quits As US Ambassador To U.N.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:35 pm

Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

MDorBust

RE: John Bolton Quits As US Ambassador To U.N.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:36 pm

The resignation is timed for the end of his recess appointment. It's not likely that he would have ben approved anyways.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

Aaron747

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:42 pm

Good riddance. What an insufferably arrogant and bullheaded talking head he was. Not to mention the guy couldn't pick a decent tie nor find a barber who could help him out. Certainly there are better manifestations of the American image for putting on the world diplomatic stage.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

prosa

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:46 pm

Bolton could be the nicest guy around, but he looks like a child molestor.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

KPDX

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:53 pm

View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

baroque

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 3):
Bolton could be the nicest guy around

But I rather doubt that he is. The stories of bullying seemed to have a fair bit of backing.

Mind you, I will defend his right to look daggy but not his arrogance.

There ought to be more kindly scruffs around at the UN!! Just as long as they can think out the longer term effects of their verbal assaults. And that in the end is what should have sunk Bolton, he traded short term impact for longer term ability to win an argument. If the enemy recovers from the shock and awe, he or she is going to be really annoyed, which bode ill for your aims.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting AirTran737 (Thread starter):
More to follow

like Mr Cheney ?

prosa

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:15 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 5):
The stories of bullying seemed to have a fair bit of backing.
Mind you, I will defend his right to look daggy but not his arrogance.

Bolton's strictly a minor league "tough" guy. I remember Jeane Kirkpatrick, who was the U.N. ambassador under Reagan. You want a combative personality, she makes Bolton look like a meek little wimp in comparison.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

mbmbos

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 7):
I remember Jeane Kirkpatrick, who was the U.N. ambassador under Reagan.

I remember her too. She was a mean ol' piece of gristle.

rjpieces

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:39 am

Shame...The only way to get the UN to do anything is to have somebody like Bolton there...If I were Bush, I would not appoint another US Ambassador to the UN in protest.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

ANCFlyer

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:40 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 6):
More to follow

like Mr Cheney ?

WTF?  sarcastic 

. . . . . .

This really isn't news.

Bolton knows he's done, no way he'll get confirmed, so he's taking the easy way out.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ME AVN FAN

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 10):
like Mr Cheney ?
WTF? sarcastic

-
why not ?  innocent  angel 

miamiair

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:55 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 2):
What an insufferably arrogant and bullheaded talking head he was. Not to mention the guy couldn't pick a decent tie nor find a barber who could help him out. Certainly there are better manifestations of the American image for putting on the world diplomatic stage.

Just because he wasn't interested in the organized grab ass that has become the UN? The UN Is a blast furnace of hot air that all they agree to is not agree about anything. They have no balls, they are a financial drain, and they do nothing to benefit this country. They are useless as the pope's balls.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

scbriml

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:55 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 9):
If I were Bush, I would not appoint another US Ambassador to the UN in protest.

confused  In protest of what?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

Falcon84

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:58 am

Shame...The only way to get the UN to do anything is to have somebody like Bolton there...If I were Bush, I would not appoint another US Ambassador to the UN in protest.

Yes, act like a baby because he didn't get his way? I think not.

In my opinion Bolton did a better job than I anticipated. He pretty much didn't show what was his rep as arrogant and bullheaded, and served his president well, I believe.

I don't think Mr. Bush will pick another Bolton-he can't, actually, as there's a new ballgame in Congress. Maybe he should ask Colin Powell?
Work Right, Fly Hard

ME AVN FAN

Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:59 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 12):
all they agree to is not agree about anything

it happens to be the assembly of the delegates of the different nations of this planet. They meet to try to find common things.
--

and they do nothing to benefit this country.

To benefit THIS country ???? They are NOT officials of the USA, they are officials of their various countries, and their work has to benefit THEIR countries and NOT "this" one !
-

miamiair

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:20 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 15):

Exactly. So when all the others there decide it is OK to look the other way when nuclear technology is being transferred, because it is beneficial to THEIR contries, YOU don't complain do you.

Or when the French sold SAMs to Saddam with proceeds for the oil-for-food program, YOU didn't complain, did you?

Corrupt people meeting to screw others out of something that isn't theirs...the UN.

fxramper

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 14):
should ask Colin Powell?

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

The centrist and I agree on politik!  bouncy 

Aaron747

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:27 am

Just because he wasn't interested in the organized grab ass that has become the UN? The UN Is a blast furnace of hot air that all they agree to is not agree about anything. They have no balls, they are a financial drain, and they do nothing to benefit this country. They are useless as the pope's balls.

I wasn't talking about the UN - that's a separate issue. I'm talking about America's image. As an expat outside the bubble, I deal much more directly with the image problem we have abroad. Representatives of the US in high profile positions like Bolton should have the character, class, and moxie to improve this image. Bolton had only one of those and sorely lacked the first two.

and they do nothing to benefit this country.

that type of comment is symptomatic of the overzealous amerocentric attitude that makes it impossible for us to gain any more than passing respect in the international community.

[Edited 2006-12-04 17:29:02]
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ME AVN FAN

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:28 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 16):
Exactly. So when all the others there decide it is OK to look the other way when nuclear technology is being transferred, because it is beneficial to THEIR contries, YOU don't complain do you.

you here refer to the civil nuclear energy program of the I.R.I. !

Or when the French sold SAMs to Saddam with proceeds for the oil-for-food program, YOU didn't complain, did you?

I also did not complain when US companies, through a "transit-company" , delivered scientific material to the IAEC (Iraqi Atomic Energy Commission) in Tuwaitha-Baghdad, I also did NOT complain.
-

Corrupt people meeting to screw others out of something that isn't theirs...the UN.

Whey should they be corrupt ? --- And what are "they" to screw "others" ouf of ? Some may be corrupt, but most simply are diplomats representing their countries.
-

miamiair

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:31 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 19):
Whey should they be corrupt ? --- And what are "they" to screw "others" ouf of ? Some may be corrupt, but most simply are diplomats representing their countries

The tea and crupmet circuit. Where did all that un-accounted money go to in the oil-for-food program?

Magyarorszag

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:46 am

Yes, yes, yes!  bouncy 

Good riddance. What an insufferably arrogant and bullheaded talking head he was.

checkmark 

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 6):
like Mr Cheney ?

That would be just fantastic. But we can keep dreaming !

Cheers.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 20):
The tea and crupmet circuit. Where did all that un-accounted money go to in the oil-for-food program?

To companies involved, and yes, to some corrupt officials both in the UN and in various national administrations alike. But you canNOT jump to the conclusion that they all are corrupt just because some made criminal money. Also some banks were involved btw. The problem was NOT the U.N., the problem was that so many different people got involved.
-

-

aloges

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 22):
The problem was NOT the U.N., the problem was that so many different people got involved.

Your effort is commendable, but I fear it's going to waste since the "opposition's" POV is "either with us or against us". It would probably take less than five minutes to find a dozen reports on successful UN missions, that succeeded due to cooperation of the nations involved - such as the USA in a lot of cases - but ever since there have been a few disastrous cases of perfidy, all of the UN is easily dismissed by the usual suspects.

I do however have the feeling Mr. Ahmadinejad shares some a.netters' feelings towards the UN, as does Kim Jong Il... Big grin
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Confuscius

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:20 am

"Bolton knows he's done"

He cut and run.
Ain't I a stinker?

gunsontheroof

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:36 am

Quite a shame. His vitriolic bullshit will be missed.

UH60FtRucker

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:42 am

Certainly there are better manifestations of the American image for putting on the world diplomatic stage.

Well if we're gonna make decisions based on appearances... let us not forget:

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

solnabo

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:47 am

Yeeesss!

Great news, he was like an elephant in a china store. Clumsy and vulgar at UN. In other words a true conservative  Wink

Micke//  Smile
Airbus SAS - Love them both

SkyvanMan

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:33 pm

Seems like Bolton must have realized the U.N. was a real organization after all and that it required real work.
The 3 best planes of all time: Shorts Skyvan, 330 and 360

baroque

Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:38 pm

I presume you realise that the US was the main agent in the design of the UN? Some of the "special" features put in by the US have returned to bite. The world as a whole has reason to ask how the US justifies its dominant use of the veto in the Security Council.

Yes, act like a baby because he didn't get his way? I think not.

In my opinion Bolton did a better job than I anticipated. He pretty much didn't show what was his rep as arrogant and bullheaded, and served his president well, I believe.

I don't think Mr. Bush will pick another Bolton-he can't, actually, as there's a new ballgame in Congress. Maybe he should ask Colin Powell?

It would indeed be juvenile for Bush to take his bat and ball home. Bolton was less bad than expected, but his overture was so awful, that the main act being passable almost fades into obscurity.

Nice idea to ask Powell, although I doubt his last experience there will encourage him to accept. But it would add a bit of dignity to the US approach to the UN.

BN747

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:12 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 29):
Nice idea to ask Powell, although I doubt his last experience there will encourage him to accept. But it would add a bit of dignity to the US approach to the UN.

As much as it might.. Powell's 1st rate con job of selling the UN 'the bogus Iraq/MWD BS, is still smoldering there! I bet when in NYC, Powell avoids going near the place at every turn. Having been burned by Team Dubya once already..I wouldn't bet on him being too eager, to stand in line and 'sir, may I have another...'

And as odd as it seems, it may very well be the UN who steps 'in' affording 'masterminds Bush/Cheney' an easy honorable 'Iraq-exit', permitting them to say 'we didn't cut and run...the UN took over.' And stranger still, is when the place (Iraq) completely implodes on the UN's watch, the anti-UN chorus will flame them for 'another failure'.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

columba

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:13 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 29):

Absolutely agree. Powell would be a good man but since he had a hard time with both the Bush administration (okay it was mainly Rumsfeld he had his problems with) and the UN I doubt he will do it. But as being said by Baroque it would be seen as a new approach of the US goverment to deal with the UN. I really would like to see Powell do that but it is more than doubtful.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

baroque

Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:59 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 30):
As much as it might.. Powell's 1st rate con job of selling the UN 'the bogus Iraq/MWD BS, is still smoldering there! I bet when in NYC, Powell avoids going near the place at every turn. Having been burned by Team Dubya once already..I wouldn't bet on him being too eager, to stand in line and 'sir, may I have another...'

Quoting Columba (Reply 31):
But as being said by Baroque it would be seen as a new approach of the US government to deal with the UN. I really would like to see Powell do that but it is more than doubtful.

I had in mind that the only way to get out from under the "legacy" would be a "mea culpa". On its track record the Bush admin would never agree to a mea culpa, but it might actually give it an improved level of acceptance. But it will never happen. Negroponte must have worn out his current welcome and need to be sent back whence he came!

cfalk

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:24 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 5):
There ought to be more kindly scruffs around at the UN!! Just as long as they can think out the longer term effects of their verbal assaults. And that in the end is what should have sunk Bolton, he traded short term impact for longer term ability to win an argument. If the enemy recovers from the shock and awe, he or she is going to be really annoyed, which bode ill for your aims.

That was the reputation propagandists made of him, but did he live up to this made-up reputation? Can you give me one example where he was seen bullying his way around the UN?

And I disagree with you. "Kindly scruffs" in the UN just bury the disagreements under the carpet until the bulge is so huge you end up in an all-out conflict. What you want in the UN and similar diplomatic circles are agressive, speak-your-mind types who will use the diplomatic channels to frankly confront issues, hammer them out and force a practical diplomatic solution, even if it means some people get their feelings hurt. I would much rather see frank exchanges and bent feelings in the UN than to see them suppressed until they blow over into the battlefield.

I am very happy to see you have the courage to admit that the propagandists were wrong. Bolton was the right man for the job, but petty politiking (by both sides) undercut his legitimacy and long-term effectiveness
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

TNNH

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:34 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 15):
it happens to be the assembly of the delegates of the different nations of this planet. They meet to try to find common things

yeah most of the countries suck and dont deserve delegation.

i'll miss Bolton. He was a tough motherfucker, but you need that in a world of Hezballah, Al Qaida, Kim Jong Il, House of Saud, Ahmadinejad, Chavez, and Assad.

Theres a lot of fucked up people out there that want to do the US harm, its time we appointed people who fought back.

L410Turbolet

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:50 am

Good riddance.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

The only way to get the UN to do anything is to have somebody like Bolton there...If I were Bush, I would not appoint another US Ambassador to the UN in protest.

Protest what? Bush being sore loser?

Quoting TNNH (Reply 34):
House of Saud

Las time I checked they were Bush's best buddies, weren't they?

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 33):
What you want in the UN and similar diplomatic circles are agressive, speak-your-mind types who will use the diplomatic channels to frankly confront issues

In theory it sounds great but if these types only represent stubborn "you are 100% with us or you are automatically against us" attitude then it useless for achieving anythin meaningful but it sure does look good on Fox TV.

cfalk

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 35):
but if these types only represent stubborn "you are 100% with us or you are automatically against us" attitude

That is automatically the starting point. You want something. Other countries want something different. You argue. You find a solution that satisfies both sides as best possible.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting TNNH (Reply 34):
yeah most of the countries suck and dont deserve delegation.

whether they "suck" or not is NOT the point, and they do NOT have to "deserve" anything, they have to be present. The "raison d'etre" of the whole thing as that they all appear.
-

Quoting TNNH (Reply 34):
Hezballah, Al Qaida, Kim Jong Il, House of Saud, Ahmadinejad, Chavez,

Hizbullah and el-Qaeda are NOT in the U.N.
the House of Sa'ud are your beloved friends
Ahmedinejad .......................................................
and Mr Chavez is a kind of equivalent to John Bolton
-

Quoting TNNH (Reply 34):
want to do the US harm

you apparently DISlike Dr Assad, but at least HE does NOT want to do the US harm, so that he is a true angel in comparison to the others. Beside the point that Mr Chavez is not wanting to do the US harm but only has some 'technical' disputes with the US government
-

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 36):
but if these types only represent stubborn "you are 100% with us or you are automatically against us" attitude
----------------------
That is automatically the starting point. You want something. Other countries want something different. You argue. You find a solution that satisfies both sides as best possible.

checkmark   checkmark  that is exactly what the U.N. is around for !
-

cedars747

Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:42 am

I am so happy about that

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

AA777

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:29 am

That man was a schmuck...really a nasty guy with nasty things to say. And of course he reiterates the laughable American foreign policy that is obviously advocated by the current WH Administration....you see how successful they've been in building nations and stopping terrorists. Yup. We need more of these guys in the UN. Lets see what new clown they can appoint now to make the UN even more disjointed and less diplomatic.

-AA777

cfalk

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting AA777 (Reply 39):
That man was a schmuck...really a nasty guy with nasty things to say.

Examples?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:25 am

At least he can shave his moustache off now.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

baroque

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:27 am

Quoting AA777 (Reply 39):
That man was a schmuck...really a nasty guy with nasty things to say. And of course he reiterates the laughable American foreign policy that is obviously advocated by the current WH Administration....you see how successful they've been in building nations and stopping terrorists.

I was going to try to reply to CFalk but this is better than I could get, thanks AA777.

If you listen to what Kofi Anan said and someone else at the UN, it was clear that his approach was not appreciated. Now you make think that having a crash through or crash approach is telegenic, but it simply is not the way that you get results by diplomacy.

Then again, we sort of know that this US admin does not believe in trying diplomacy - witness the lack of information about what was REALLY on the table diplomatically with Saddam.

Slamming your enemies is one thing, check out the Bell cartoon in the Guardian two or three days ago to see how the UK thinks Bush treats his best friends - don't forget the "Yo Blair" incident. Bolton is just a pimple on the policy to use Bells analogy.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoons/stevebell/0,,1961691,00.html
Oceans Apart. December 1 2006: What future is there for the 'special relationship'? John Harris investigates.

Be tough, but then you will have to search harder for friends the next time you need them.

cfalk

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:36 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 42):
If you listen to what Kofi Anan said and someone else at the UN, it was clear that his approach was not appreciated.

Hardly a good reference. Kofi Annan has been the most singularly useless SG since the UN was founded. Of course the establishment is going to complain when somebody calls them to actually get off their asses and do something rather than just sit around in the mornings and spend the afternoons in Manhatten coffee shops and patronizing the Manhatten call girl community.

aloges

Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:53 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 43):
Of course the establishment is going to complain when somebody calls them to actually get off their asses and do something

Allow me to quote you:

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 40):
Examples?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:59 pm

Hardly a good reference. Kofi Annan has been the most singularly useless SG since the UN was founded.

-
YOUR judgment. While to me, Kofi Annan was the BEST U.N. secretary-general in history.
-

the establishment is going to complain when somebody calls them to actually get off their asses and do something rather than just sit around in the mornings and spend the afternoons in Manhatten coffee shops and patronizing the Manhatten call girl community.

as you in here accuse all the other U.N.-delegates to be utterly lazy, then you might explain what John Bolton really has DONE in the U.N. except from time to time placing a veto on behalf of Israel. Has he been so "useful" and so busy and so active ? In what regard ? By giving harsh interviews to some boulevard-journals ?
-

miamiair

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:54 pm

How come the UN has failed miserably in its efforts to curb nuclear proliferation?

Did the UN discover the black market nuclear technology efforts that Pakistani A.Q. Khan was pushing?

No.

Did the UN order Qaddafi to reveal and submit his WMD programs?

No.

The two examples above where accomplishments of the Proliferation Security Initiative that was the brainchild of John Bolton. The PSI is a consortium of more than 60 countries that are intent on stopping the spread of NBC weapons. PSI efforts have stopped shipments of equipment for Iran's nuclear and ballistic missile programs. Compared to PSI's achievements, the UN's failures illustrate how the UN fails to do anything for global security. Why does the PSI work? Because it does not have UN bureaucrats second-guessing every move., it doesn't have a headquarters, no budget, no secretary general.

At a conference in 2005 on Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty, the UN blasted the US for not cutting the current arsenal by 66%. At this conference, topics such as Iran, North Korea and terror supply networks were not brought up.

Why is it that Iran has no real worries from the UN?

Because it has benefactors that are on the Security Council that veto IAEA recommendations. France, Russia and China, as well as temporary members like Germany export millions in imports to Iran.

China doesn't want to jeopardize $1.2B in trade with North Korea, so NK can pretty much do as it pleases. Until someone grows a scrotum and does something about it; whether it is economically, diplomatically or militarily.

UN= Useless Nations, just give us money.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 46):
the UN has failed miserably in its efforts to curb nuclear proliferation?

> who is "the U.N." ? it is the nations of this world
> who wanted "to curb nuclear proliferation" ? most of all the nuclear powers
> who wanted nuclear weapons ? many countries represented inside the UN
> who had more support from other countries ? the "NON-haves"
>quote> the Proliferation Security Initiative was the brainchild of John Bolton. >quote>
> did Bolton fail in this ? no, he tried his best
-

-

[Edited 2006-12-06 14:15:06]

baroque

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:27 pm

Did the UN discover the black market nuclear technology efforts that Pakistani A.Q. Khan was pushing?

And how was El Baradei going to access the Pakistan facilities? Pakistan did not sign the NPT. Doors closed. How much did Bolton do to extend the reach of that treaty, not a lot!

Because it has benefactors that are on the Security Council that veto IAEA recommendations. France, Russia and China, as well as temporary members like Germany export millions in imports to Iran.

FYI the last non US veto was April 21, 2004, by Russia, subject Cyprus.

Feb 25, 1999, China, subject FYROM.

Jan 10, 1997, China, subject Guatemala.

Between Jan 10 1997 and now the USA used its veto 12 times, I will let you have three guesses as to the topic. Iran gets a mention in 1980.

Do you think you might want to revise that statement?

The Russians have barely known how to pronounce "niet" since 1971. France last wheeled out "non" (with the UK and USA) in 1989 once to say invading Panana was OK and once to say that shooting down Libyan aircraft by the US was fine and dandy.
http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/membship/veto/vetosubj.htm

cfalk

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 48):

Your data only includes resolutions that were actually voted on. When the US has solid indications that a particular vote they want will not pass, they generally pull the resolution and it is not voted, although in reality it was vetoed just as effectively.

I suppose the idea behind this is to provide more freedom of action for the US, such as the case before the Iraq war. When it became known that France and others were going to veto the authorization to use force, the resolution was pulled so that the invasion of Iraq could not be said to be against the expressed wishes of the UN.

Personally, I think this policy is a mistake. Let the UN vote and let the various countries' policies be made clear by the votes they make. This is what most countries do when they propose a resolution knowing that the US will veto it, and they get propaganda points doing it.

But it's just to let you know that drawing up a past list of vetoes is very, very misleading.