S12PPL
Topic Author

Missing Cnet Editor Found Dead In Oregon

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:03 am

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie..._missing_family_tues.569404ac.html

Very sad news  

My thoughts are with his wife and young children, and the rest of his family and friends.

[Edited 2006-12-06 22:03:50]

[Edited 2006-12-06 22:04:09]
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

AirTranTUS

RE: Missing Cnet Editor Found Dead In Oregon

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:16 am

You might want to change the title to "Missing Oregon Man Found Dead". This one makes it sound like a Cnet editor was kidnapped and killed.

Sorry for the family.  Sad
I love ASO!

767Lover

RE: Missing Cnet Editor Found Dead In Or Wilderness

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:18 am

God, my heart stopped when I saw this.

RIP.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 1):
You might want to change the title to "Missing Oregon Man Found Dead". This one makes it sound like a Cnet editor was kidnapped and killed.

What??

One, he isn't from Oregon. He's from San Francisco.

Two, if you read the article, you would know he wasn't kidnapped and murdered.... No title change will occur, here.

airkas1
Crew

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:23 am

What's Cnet?
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

L-188

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:24 am

I figured he was dead last night when they said they had found his pants.

Stripping off clothes is a big Hypothermia symptom.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:25 am

Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 4):
What's Cnet?

www.cnet.com

Great source for info on techno gadgets, etc.

AsstChiefMark

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:26 am

He never should have left his family. Their survival measures were perfect until he decided to leave. He'd still be alive if he would have stayed put.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

S12PPL
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 7):
He'd still be alive if he would have stayed put.

Agreed. They burned the tires on their car...They could have found low branches of nearby trees and broken them off to burn for heat...

So many different things they could have done in order to all survive. It's a shame he died. Very tragic.

Coz

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:28 am

Sad news. That's a pretty miserable way to die.

RIP James Kim.

Halcyon

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:36 am

It's a very sad thing. We always lose people in Western MT in the winter, but usually we're taught (my friends and I) some of the basics of what to do and what to not so. Very sad.  Sad

Lucas

airkas1
Crew

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:41 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 6):
Quoting AirKas1 (Reply 4):
What's Cnet?

www.cnet.com

Great source for info on techno gadgets, etc.

Thanks.
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

Falcon84

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 7):

Perhaps, but he probably did what he thought best for his family, and to second-guess him now is pointless, and doesn't do any good for anyone.

Prayers to his wife and two daughters, and his family and coworkers.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Aeroflot777

Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:58 am

Very tragic ending. Being in SF, this story was on the news 24/7. Everyone hoping he'd be found alive.

RIP. And my prayers go out to the family.

Aeroflot777

AC773

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:04 am

I've been following this since the news of the Kim's disappearance surfaced about a week ago. I was thrilled to hear of James' family's rescue, and I've stayed optimistic that James would be found in a similar condition right up to the announcement of the news today. I was crushed to hear it, and I can only imagine what his family, friends, and co-workers are feeling right now.

James was a senior editor for digital audio at CNET, and did a lot of great work there. I myself have read, watched, and listened to countless numbers of his reviews and opinion pieces.

He was a great man, and will be sorely missed. Sad
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

NWA742

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:10 am

Sad news indeed. I knew they wouldn't find the guy alive.

Too bad things like this happen - it should be well-known that in such conditions - do not leave your vehicle!

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

S12PPL
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 15):
it should be well-known that in such conditions - do not leave your vehicle!

What's sad, is that it takes an event like this to remind people.

I just hope that his family can heal from this. You never get over it, but the pain will grow less over time.

NWA742

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:32 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 16):
What's sad, is that it takes an event like this to remind people.

Very true. Most people in modern countries today don't have any basic survival knowledge or skills. Mother nature can very quickly bring down the toughest of humans, and most fail to realize that when they venture off into a blizzard.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

S12PPL
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 17):
Very true. Most people in modern countries today don't have any basic survival knowledge or skills. Mother nature can very quickly bring down the toughest of humans, and most fail to realize that when they venture off into a blizzard.

Any time I venture off on a road trip during the winter, I pack blankets, water, food, at least one flashlight...etc. Just in case. Especially when I know I'm going through the mountains. I'll sacrifice trunk space and leave something behind for that just in case moment when you find yourself stranded, and your cell not working.

L-188

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 17):
Most people in modern countries today don't have any basic survival knowledge or skills.

Exactly, which is why I asked "WTF?" when the news said they thought he was taking his clothes off to mark a trail.

Most people don't realize that most Hypothermia cases occur at tempertures above freezing.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 19):
Exactly, which is why I asked "WTF?" when the news said they thought he was taking his clothes off to mark a trail.

Most people don't realize that most Hypothermia cases occur at tempertures above freezing.

On one of the news stations last night in Portland, they reported finding clothes, but then cut to some "expert" who told them that when hypothermia sets in, you do things you normally wouldn't do, because your judgement is impaired. At least they admitted that he could have been doing that because of impaired judgement due to severe cold.

Some others wouldn't report that.

L-188

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 20):
On one of the news stations last night in Portland, they reported finding clothes, but then cut to some "expert" who told them that when hypothermia sets in, you do things you normally wouldn't do, because your judgement is impaired. At least they admitted that he could have been doing that because of impaired judgement due to severe cold

If I remember what happens at that stage is that the body shuts down blood flow to the extremities. So you get a false sense of warmth, stop shivering, and actually in many cases start sheding clothes because of a perception of "Warmth".

I commend this expert for actually telling it like it was, and not trying to make up some BS story about leaving a trail for the sake of the family.

KPDX

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:01 am

Aww thats sad.  Sad I was really hoping they would find him alive! I feel really bad for his wife and daughters (which by the way are very young)!  cry 

But great job to the Oregonian's (or just everyone) that helped search, they probably just saved 3 lifes!  Smile

KPDX  Smile
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

S12PPL
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:05 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 21):
I commend this expert for actually telling it like it was, and not trying to make up some BS story about leaving a trail for the sake of the family.

Yeah, well it's amazing they even had anyone on to say that. The way the news stations are in Oregon, the next thing we'll see is them all competing with stupid promo spots of "We were the first on the scene for the desperate search for James Kim and his family!"

Our Governor blasted the media during our recnet floods, letting them know just how pissed off he was that they sensationalized it, getting into a "Mine's bigger than yours" fight over who was the best at reporting the flooding. I may not think he's the best Governor for the state, but at least he had the balls to stand up and put them in their place for it. I hope we don't see one of those contests fot his tragity.

AerospaceFan

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:33 pm

What a sad story. My thoughts are with his family and friends during this very difficult time.
What's fair is fair.

Bobster2

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:40 pm

What they need to do is put a gate on road when it's closed to keep cars out. The tragedy is that this was a known hazard, and it was easily preventable.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

S12PPL
Topic Author

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:47 pm

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 25):
What they need to do is put a gate on road when it's closed to keep cars out. The tragedy is that this was a known hazard, and it was easily preventable.

I'm sorry? Where does it say the road should have been closed? If the road is clear, there is no reason to close it. It is, however, up to the driver to plan ahead and be safe. Take food. Take blankets. Make sure you have enough supplies to last.

Bobster2

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:01 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 26):
Where does it say the road should have been closed?

It is closed. It's a one-lane dead-end road to nowhere. It is not maintained during the winter. A road with no traffic. That's why it took so damn long to find them. It should be barricaded to prevent this kind of accident.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

AerospaceFan

Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:33 pm

There was also something said on talk radio yesterday about a warning that printed on maps printed by one publisher but allegedly not on those printed by another. I'm not sure of the reliability of these allegations, but they went something to the effect that a "this road is closed during winter" warning was printed in red next to the depiction of the road on one map but not the other.
What's fair is fair.

ltbewr

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:42 pm

The big mistake here was that the family was on an alternative 'back road' that is a short cut to the coast in South West Oregon near Grants Pass, OR (near the California border). There are few major roads there over the coastal mountain range and they may have been on a 'senic route' that should only be used in the summer and made a wrong turn to compound their bad judgment.
I believe I traveled on one of these back roads in this area in September 1995 and recall waring signs and notices on state issued maps as to their use in Winter. They may have also been using maps from a web source that didn't contain such warnings.
I have traveled many miles on back roads including what were apparently goat paths not only in the USA, but also in Ireland, UK, Australia and NZ - although not in bad winter weather - following inaccurate maps, not following them propery or missing signs or signs were missing. I wouldn't have followed such routes this family did under the conditions that existed at the time.
While fortuntally the wife and kids were found safely, it is sad for the husband to have died. Let us hope this is a lesson to think before your drive in potential bad conditions.

AerospaceFan

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 29):
While fortuntally the wife and kids were found safely, it is sad for the husband to have died. Let us hope this is a lesson to think before your drive in potential bad conditions.

I do believe that this is fair warning to everyone that winter conditions can still be a killer, even in this age of fancy cell phones and other examples of high technology.

By the way, I wonder if a satellite phone would have helped the family, as it appears they out of the range of cell phone towers when they were stranded. It seems to me that, assuming global coverage, an operational Iridium phone, or similar, would have allowed them to call authorities for help and provide guidance as to where they were.

I should note that satellite phones are still quite expensive and their usage is comparatively rare, however. I would hardly expect a typical household to have one.

[Edited 2006-12-07 15:06:34]
What's fair is fair.

AerospaceFan

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:51 pm

Here is a link to a Web site with a blog entry on the map thing, saying that a check of Google seemed to show that the road in question was nothing out of the ordinary, and warning that in planning vacation routes through isolated areas during winter, further measures than consulting with maps might be necessary:

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2006/12...vel/James+Kim's+Tragic+Map+Lesson

Travel safe, everyone!

[Edited 2006-12-07 15:52:25]
What's fair is fair.

S12PPL
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 27):
It is closed. It's a one-lane dead-end road to nowhere. It is not maintained during the winter. A road with no traffic. That's why it took so damn long to find them. It should be barricaded to prevent this kind of accident.

You are trying to excuse them for being unprepared. The news last night reported the road was closed off with a gate, however the forest service believs vandals cut the lock off.

In any case, everyone is trying to excuse them for not being prepared. It's very sad and tragic that someone had to die here. I feel horrible for the family...But I'm not going to scream and yell at anyone simply because they didn't go prepared. If you are going on a road trip in the winter, especially through he mountains where it is cold and snowy, you are supposed to take blankets, etc. They drove up to Seattle through the mountains on their way to where they were going for Thanksgiving.

Anyway. It's sad, and tragic what happened.

mikephotos

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:37 am

Having worked with James on a regular basis, this whole event has been very upsetting for me and all of our co-workers. While any news of this sort is tragic, it really hits home when you know the person(s). James was a great guy and was always a pleasure to deal with, he will be missed greatly. My prays are with his family, I can't even imagine what his wife and children must be/will be going through. I was thrilled to hear they were found alive and well. We were all hoping that James would be found safe soon after.

RIP James!

Mike

davestanKSAN

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:48 am

Sad I was really saddened when I heard this news yesterday. Really a mix of emotions with this story. I'm thankful that Mrs. Kim and her two daughters are safe, but at the same time the loss of Mr. Kim is very tragic.

All the best to the Kim family during this hard time. Thoughts and prayers are with them.

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

AerospaceFan

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:53 am

I agree with everyone that it's a relief that Mr. Kim's family was found safe, and yet that this doesn't distract attention from the fact that he himself was later found dead. I think that these events have been very moving, and indeed I heard that an officer who helped lead the search broke down when he gave the sad news of Mr. Kim's death. I think that it is the thought that Mr. Kim was so desperate to save his family that he decided to risk his own life, come what may, that strikes an emotional chord with many of us.

He was a brave man who died for the people he loved. God rest his soul.
What's fair is fair.

dl021

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:46 am

Terrible tragedy, and according to the local police this man was motivated to try and find help. He walked an incredible distance before succumbing.

Hopefully this will motivate more people to learn survival techniques and prepare themselves for incidents such as this. It doesn't take much for someone to find themselves lost in the woods or snow if their vehicle breaks down.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?