dtwclipper

File This Under "One Sick Dude"

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:56 am

Man who sodomized dog to appeal sex offender registry

A man who sodomized a dog plans to appeal a ruling that he register as a sex offender after leaving prison.

Delbert John Holliday, 33, of Eastpointe, was sentenced to 3 1/2 to 15 years in prison Tuesday in Macomb County Circuit Court.

He had pleaded guilty to sodomy and animal torture for an August incident involving a pit bull at his brother's house.

Judge James Biernat ordered Holliday to register with the state's sex offender registry, though sodomy legally doesn't address cases where the victim is an animal, The Macomb Daily reported.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...icle?AID=/20061206/NEWS99/61206040
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Aeroflot777

RE: File This Under "One Sick Dude"

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:01 am

Definitely a sick dude... No other words for it!

Aeroflot777

unoflygirl

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:18 am

That's just wrong! If they let him off the hook for this, that'd be even more wrong.

Karly
"I'm not anxious to die...just anxious to matter"

LTU932

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:26 am

This case could be a precedent. I hope it's a precent on people who commit sodomy on animals and that they must be registered as sex offenders.

I hope that bastard stays the full 15 years in prison without any chance for parole.

HPLASOps

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:50 am

Sick as this perv might be, I think he makes a fair point in that a sex crime with an animal should not be in the same category as a sex crime involving a human being. We certainly don't give life sentences to people who murder animals, nor is animal abuse punished in the same manner as spousal abuse. So why should sex crimes be any different?

Besides, the article does not go into his background, we don't know if this is an isolated incident or if the dude has a history of beastiality. We only know it was a pit bull (really, a pit bull let him do that?????) at his brother's house. Easy on the 15 years - he might be an okay, harmless dude outside other than this pitbull raping incident.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

ShyFlyer

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:58 am

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 4):
he might be an okay, harmless dude

None of the okay, harmless dudes I know rape animals.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Thread starter):
though sodomy legally doesn't address cases where the victim is an animal, The Macomb Daily reported.

My guess is perhaps this will be changing soon.
I lift things up and put them down.

bagpiper

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:35 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 5):
None of the okay, harmless dudes I know rape animals.

Personally, I think pitbulls should be illegal or something. anyways. I mean, come on, why do you need such an aggressive dog? I can't even count how many absurd cases there have been of maulings in my area over the past 6 months.

One that stood out was a 5 year old and her mom were walking home from school, and a pitbull attacked them. Ripped the girls ear off, the mother jumped in front of the dog to protect her daughter, and got killed in the process. 2 guys nearby eventually killed the dog. The poor 5 year old spent several months in the hospital, had recontructive sugery to her face (her face is still seriously out of whack), and, basically, won't have a normal life all because of a freaking dog.

Geez

[Edited 2006-12-07 06:36:20]

jafa39

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:22 pm

It was sex and it was offensive = sex offender  Wink
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

WildcatYXU

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:23 pm

Well,apparently all he has to do is to move to Denmark.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061130/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_denmark_sex

BTW, I recall a an article from few years ago about a school somewhere in the US suggesting sex with animals to male students as a replacement for the real thing... Unfortunately, I can't find the article.
310, 319, 320, 321, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, Saab 340, YAK40

777ER
Crew

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 6):
One that stood out was a 5 year old and her mom were walking home from school, and a pitbull attacked them. Ripped the girls ear off, the mother jumped in front of the dog to protect her daughter, and got killed in the process. 2 guys nearby eventually killed the dog. The poor 5 year old spent several months in the hospital, had recontructive sugery to her face (her face is still seriously out of whack), and, basically, won't have a normal life all because of a freaking dog.

There was an incident involving a little girl in New Zealand a few years ago when the girl (I think was 7 years old) and her family were playing in a park, I forget where. The girl and a friend were playing and a dog ripped the girls face apart. A massive public uproar happened because of this, and her father lead a massive protest to get tougher dog laws. Even a few months after the girls face was still a big mess and it wasn't nice seeing it on TV.
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

CO7e7

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:52 pm

Easy on the 15 years - he might be an okay, harmless dude outside other than this pitbull raping incident.

There are hundreds of rapists and other criminals who committed their crimes ONCE. So are they "OK" besides the one incident?

I think pitbulls should be illegal or something

If you train your pitbull right, then you won't have a problem. Trust me. I have a pitbull/terrier... the only thing she hates is cats.

Big version: Width: 1632 Height: 1232 File size: 388kb
Ladies and Gents, i introduce to you HEAVEN .. the pitbull terrier!

Zaki

andessmf

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:59 pm

Personally, I think pitbulls should be illegal or something. anyways.

There are many other types of breeds that are much more aggressive. If you ever see my dog get in an aggressive mode, you would freak out. My wife almost wanted to get rid of her when she saw her try to savagely attack another dog. Fortunately, she was on a leash at the time.

But, we have spent TIME training the dog and showing her what is right and wrong. Started from when she was a puppy. I made an effort to mess with her food, even real bones, and she better not defend it. I also would play and pull her to make certain that the kids would not get a reaction when they would do that. It all comes down to taking responsibility for raising your dog right.

So now we have a beautiful GUARD dog, that to most visitors and kids seems to be and is the friendliest, most social dog around. But watch out for her. A few months ago she almost attacked me when I came in thru the wrong door and the kids were in the yard.

A man who sodomized a dog plans to appeal a ruling that he register as a sex offender after leaving prison.

I'm sorry, but whether this is sick or not is besides the point. They are many who find certain consensual sex acts between adults sick, but at least now they are not sent to jail. There are people who are convicted of animal cruelty who might not go to jail.

Without having any further information, I can't say much about this dude's punishment.

IAH777

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:57 pm

BAB once sodomized a dog then had to explain to her that buttsecks cannot lead to getting pregnant.

HPLASOps

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:31 pm

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 10):
There are hundreds of rapists and other criminals who committed their crimes ONCE. So are they "OK" besides the one incident?

No, this is an unusual crime. It's one level of pervertedness to commit a sex crime with an animal. To commit rape upon another human being is a different level of pervertedness. The guy is probably messed up something fierce in his head, but this one act of sodomizing a pit bull could be isolated and not a "gateway" to other potentially henious crimes they way a human rapist could be. That's all I'm sayin. The guy may fear interaction with other humans and will not do harm to humans out of shear fear of having to deal with them. Of course, none of us know the full details, so I'm only speculating. My point is that a sex crime with an animal is not on the same level as raping a human being, two different motivations, two different mentalities going into them.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

kmh1956

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:57 pm

Easy on the 15 years - he might be an okay, harmless dude outside other than this pitbull raping incident.

Okay, harmless dudes do not go around sodomizing dogs. If this is how this sicko treats a dog, how well do you imagine he would treat a woman or a child?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

NWOrientDC10

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:13 pm

Man who sodomized dog to appeal sex offender registry

Delbert John Holliday, 33, of Eastpointe, was sentenced to 3 1/2 to 15 years in prison Tuesday in Macomb County Circuit Court.

He had pleaded guilty to sodomy and animal torture for an August incident involving a pit bull at his brother's house.

Judge James Biernat ordered Holliday to register with the state's sex offender registry, though sodomy legally doesn't address cases where the victim is an animal, The Macomb Daily reported

What kind of a person does this?  vomit   vomit 

This is very disturbing.

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

express1

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):

that's wrong also prison is not the place for him, give him the electric chair and wire up his bollarks and turn on to full capacity!!!!, there that should do it.

dave  thumbsup   yes 
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

767Lover

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:23 pm

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 10):
If you train your pitbull right, then you won't have a problem. Trust me. I have a pitbull/terrier... the only thing she hates is cats.

Pitbulls used to be the breed of choice for family dogs. If you saw my pitbull, you would understand. She has no enemies.

The reason they have a reputation for being aggressive is because a certain segment of society wants a "thuggish" tough dog, and they have taken advantage of the physical strength and loyalty of the pit bull breed. Because these dogs have an innate need to please their master, the thugs have successfully trained the dog to be aggressive.

Honestly, my dog has been "attacked" twice. Bitten both times--once by the chiauaua (sp?) down the street and once by the fuzzy mutt behind us. These were unprovoked attacks (a fact concurred by their owners) and in one case my dog required stitches and the owner paid for it.

People in my neighborhood love my dog.

bagpiper

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 11):

Yeah, you are right.

But still, I think something needs to be done... I personally think a human life is more important than a pet

Dougloid

Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:39 am

Youse guys don't know the half of it....

there is a story that you can find on the web or on pervscan, a guy had sex with a horse and died back in 2005.....seems the horse was the active participant.

a video was made of the events that you can find on the web. I have seen the video.

It is the single most revolting piece of film I've ever seen.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

IAH777

Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:28 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 19):

Worse than Eyes Wide Shut? Yeesh. It must be disturbing...

dragogoalie

Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:00 am

Personally, I think pitbulls should be illegal or something. anyways. I mean, come on, why do you need such an aggressive dog? I can't even count how many absurd cases there have been of maulings in my area over the past 6 months.

A pit bull is never aggressive right off the bat- it's not bred to be agressive either, it's just bred to be muscly and strong. People TRAIN them to be agressive for dog fighting.

Most dog bites comes from our very best friend, the golden retriever, while shepherds are like number 5 on this list. Dogs like pitbulls are all the way down at number 30ish.

It's the owner's fault. The owners of the pitbulls mentioned in your post could've had any other breed and I bet you anything the dogs would still have turned out aggressive. Pitbulls have been banned in denmark, and it has in no way made the dog bite statitics decrease. People who would've had an aggressive pitbull just get other breeds, and they still turn out aggressive.

Pitbulls are so misunderstood. They are no worse, more aggressive or more ferocious than a labrador or a chihuahua. People need to do more research before they open their mouths!

Sick as this perv might be, I think he makes a fair point in that a sex crime with an animal should not be in the same category as a sex crime involving a human being. We certainly don't give life sentences to people who murder animals, nor is animal abuse punished in the same manner as spousal abuse. So why should sex crimes be any different?

Besides, the article does not go into his background, we don't know if this is an isolated incident or if the dude has a history of beastiality. We only know it was a pit bull (really, a pit bull let him do that?????) at his brother's house. Easy on the 15 years - he might be an okay, harmless dude outside other than this pitbull raping incident.

confused  WHY is it less wrong to rape an animal?? An animal can't put up a fair fight, it can't say no. It's just as bad as raping a human. Same goes for beating it or murdering it (when I say murder, I don't mean euthanized in a humane way at a registered vet)... I'd like to hear why you think it's less wrong to treat an animal this way.

And he's certainly not an ok, harmless dude if he does this! He needs his balls cut off, at least. I'd prefer it if someone raped him!  yuck 
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

charlienorth

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:16 am

Besides, the article does not go into his background, we don't know if this is an isolated incident or if the dude has a history of beastiality

I would be willing to say once should considered more than enough.

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 5):
he might be an okay, harmless dude

None of the okay, harmless dudes I know rape animals

checkmark 

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 13):
My point is that a sex crime with an animal is not on the same level as raping a human being, two different motivations, two different mentalities going into them.

I've heard most serial killers have a history of cruelty to animals..

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 20):
Quoting Dougloid (Reply 19):

Worse than Eyes Wide Shut? Yeesh. It must be disturbing

Seen Gigli?
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

Pope

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:35 am

Perhaps the court should order him to join a Las Vegas dating service so that he can find partners of his own species to date.  Wink  spit 
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

charlienorth

Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 23):
Perhaps the court should order him to join a Las Vegas dating service so that he can find partners of his own species to date.

Dang!! you posted whatI didn't have the guts to!! Maybe the dog will need the dating service....naaah...it's too much money,beside the dog probably doesn't know where to call his parents
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

cumulus

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:20 am

It's dog mad! Woof Woof!!
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

bagpiper

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting Dragogoalie (Reply 21):

Ok. I stand corrected.

Maybe I should read/learn before I open my mouth...

Pope

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting Dragogoalie (Reply 21):
Most dog bites comes from our very best friend, the golden retriever, while shepherds are like number 5 on this list. Dogs like pitbulls are all the way down at number 30ish.

How about providing those statistic on a per animal basis? There are far more golden retrievers than their are pit bulls (at least in the US). I would be that per capita, pit bulls bite a hell of a lot more people than goldens. Furthermore, I can't remember the last time I read about a golden mauling a kid to death. Can you say that about pit bulls?

767Lover

Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 27):
How about providing those statistic on a per animal basis? There are far more golden retrievers than their are pit bulls (at least in the US). I would be that per capita, pit bulls bite a hell of a lot more people than goldens. Furthermore, I can't remember the last time I read about a golden mauling a kid to death. Can you say that about pit bulls?

According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC):

There is currently no accurate way to identify the number of dogs of a particular breed, and consequently no measure to determine which breeds are more likely to bite or kill.

A CDC quote on another article:

A dog of any breed can become dangerous when bred or trained to be aggressive," Dr. Jeffrey Sacks, epidemiologist for the CDC, said. "Fatal attacks represent only a very small proportion of dog bite injuries and shouldn't be the primary factor driving public policy regarding dangerous dogs."

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/biteprevention.htm
http://www.chicagovma.org/legislative/
http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/nov00/s111500c.asp

dragogoalie

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 27):

Yes- up until now, there has been 1-2 cases of mauling/killings by pitpulls while there has been more than what you can count on one hand by rottweilers, Belgian shepherds and, yes, labradors. Of course that only counts for denmark. Pittbulls are NOT more aggressive than other breeds. I've seen several pitbulls do better at the mentality tests done by kennels than most chihuahuas.

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 28):
There is currently no accurate way to identify the number of dogs of a particular breed, and consequently no measure to determine which breeds are more likely to bite or kill.

That may be so in the US. But the statisitcs I'm talking about are done here in Denmark/Europe.

Lucky42

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:19 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 27):
). I would be that per capita, pit bulls bite a hell of a lot more people than goldens

You are right. However, Pitbulls along with Rottweilers have a bad rep because of asswipes who breed them to fight other dogs or intentionally deprive them of human contact and abuse them to make them mean and aggressive. I used to have a female Rottweiler and she was the most gentle dog I had ever seen and she was crazy about humans of any kind. I never in the 10 yrs I had her before she died I never once saw an ounce of aggression in her or the male Rottweiler next door to my house that she would play with. You don't have to look far in the human world to see who most criminals are. Most have all the same story...Born to a crack whore, no father, abused, etc...There are no bad dogs only bad owners....

andessmf

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting Dragogoalie (Reply 29):
I've seen several pitbulls do better at the mentality tests done by kennels than most chihuahuas.

Thank God my sister doesn't read here, she has a Chihuahua, but those dogs are dumb and will bite you quicker than most big dogs.

And as an aside, my big, sometimes very aggressive dog, was trained by me (in two weeks) to accept a cat in her life when she was 8 y.o. Now they sleep together. Just to point out how aggressiveness can be a trained habit.

dragogoalie

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:31 am

Also, when pitbulls bite, they BITE  Smile Not because they're more aggressive than other dogs, but because their jaws are so much stronger. I can't see why this should be a reason to ban them. In fact, the only breed that should be banned is stupid people who cannot or do not know how to train a dog properly.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 31):

And as an aside, my big, sometimes very aggressive dog, was trained by me (in two weeks) to accept a cat in her life when she was 8 y.o. Now they sleep together. Just to point out how aggressiveness can be a trained habit.

Exactly  Smile Many of the dogs I get in have been abused and can be very aggressive... But I haven't experienced a dog to this date that has been aggressive without a reason. Either, it has been abused, the breeders didn't know what they were doing (breeding on very poor bloodlines) or it's been stressed out so bad. I've only had to put two to sleep because they were beyond saving... I gained their trust, but they were still too timid to have a life with dignity  Sad

And every single dog I've worked with has been ruined by humans. Pitbulls, sharpeis, rottweilers, you name it.

andessmf

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:37 am

Quoting Dragogoalie (Reply 32):
And every single dog I've worked with has been ruined by humans.

What about cats ruined by people, too? My cat had kittens this summer. The kids were with the kittens constantly. The dog wouldn't approach them at all till they got bigger. Then you could find the kittens slobbered by the dog.

What's my point? Those kittens have turned out to be the best cats (what I am told by their new owners, all known to us) they have. Completely loving and accepting of people, and because they had a big dog while growing up, they have a lot of confidence. Good animals are born and RAISED by people.

speedbird747BA

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:38 am

32 replies and no Kirkie comment?

I think this does resemble a story GKirk once regaled to me, a story of love and scottish fashions and heaving, bonking lustfulness were all intertwined, undistinguishable one from the other , and so was, ironically, Gkirk and his sheep, Rambo.

Cheers,
Kyle

PS -- can we get a photoshop pick for this?
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

dragogoalie

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:52 am

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 33):
What about cats ruined by people, too? My cat had kittens this summer. The kids were with the kittens constantly. The dog wouldn't approach them at all till they got bigger. Then you could find the kittens slobbered by the dog.

What's my point? Those kittens have turned out to be the best cats (what I am told by their new owners, all known to us) they have. Completely loving and accepting of people, and because they had a big dog while growing up, they have a lot of confidence. Good animals are born and RAISED by people.

True- people can be good. I'm talking about the people who go out and get some "cool" breed and then ruin it, turning it into an aggressive monster- had it been raised by other people, it could've been the perfect "couch potato" family dog.

As for the kittens, I once had a litter like that too. In fact, my dog raised that litter. Their mother was run over when they were four weeks old, and in the beginning, I bottlefed them- but they soon started staggering after my dog, and within two days, she started lactating, and they wouldn't use the bottle anymore- they were sold at 12 weeks old, and from the feedback I've gotten, the new owners have never had more wonderful, social and friendly cats. Kittens bottlefed by humans often turn out to be timid later on in life. These cats are now 3 years old, and they're still as great as they were when they were kittens. I think my dog did a great job Big grin

andessmf

Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting Dragogoalie (Reply 35):
she started lactating

WHHAAAAAT? Was the dog fixed? BTW, nice story from you too.

Quoting Dragogoalie (Reply 35):
I'm talking about the people who go out and get some "cool" breed and then ruin it, turning it into an aggressive monste

You forget to mention that sometimes plain neglect, this is feeding the animal, but not interacting with it, can also make an aggressive animal. Or just simply not training them out of wrong impulses. I started training my dog and the kittens to not be defensive of their food from a very early age. And I still do that. Give her a juice bone, then take it right out of her mouth. And she better not be aggressive when I do that.

NWA742

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:34 am

he might be an okay, harmless dude outside other than this pitbull raping incident

redflag 

Outside of this incident? There is no outside - he did it. Anyone who rapes and tortures animals are not, and will never be "okay" in my book. Lock him up and throw away the key.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

dragogoalie

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:03 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 36):
WHHAAAAAT? Was the dog fixed? BTW, nice story from you too.

No  Smile This girl is a purebred show dalmatian and shan't be fixed as I plan on breeding (responsibly) sometime in the future. But she had never had a litter of puppies (and still hasn't yet), so the maternity instincts she showed- and for another species, even- were just amazing!

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 36):
You forget to mention that sometimes plain neglect, this is feeding the animal, but not interacting with it, can also make an aggressive animal. Or just simply not training them out of wrong impulses. I started training my dog and the kittens to not be defensive of their food from a very early age. And I still do that. Give her a juice bone, then take it right out of her mouth. And she better not be aggressive when I do that.

checkmark   Smile It's great to see someone with so much knowledge and so much responsibility for animals- All my respect!

andessmf

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting DragoGoalie (Reply 38):
All my respect!

Aw, thanks! I'll try to get a picture of my babies sleeping shortly.

sudden

Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:44 pm

How tragic the incident above might be, it does not have anything to do with Pitbull!

As a breeder for German Sheppards, and an instructor, I can assure you that any dog can step over the line if they don't get proper training from young age.
Understand me correct,
I don't nean that everyone must train their dog, but to give them a purpose in life is never a bad thing.

Pitbulls are, just as written above, a really cute family dog. I have trained some myself, and they are not that different from other breeds.

It takes a day to teach a dog how to bite people, but it takes years to get rid of that habit!

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

767Lover

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:53 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 40):
Pitbulls are, just as written above, a really cute family dog.

My baby is absolutely THE best dog I have ever been around..

Pope

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting Lucky42 (Reply 30):
You are right. However, Pitbulls along with Rottweilers have a bad rep because of asswipes who breed them to fight other dogs or intentionally deprive them of human contact and abuse them to make them mean and aggressive. I used to have a female Rottweiler and she was the most gentle dog I had ever seen and she was crazy about humans of any kind. I never in the 10 yrs I had her before she died I never once saw an ounce of aggression in her or the male Rottweiler next door to my house that she would play with. You don't have to look far in the human world to see who most criminals are. Most have all the same story...Born to a crack whore, no father, abused, etc...There are no bad dogs only bad owners....

I was bit by a pit bull owned by a neighbor about 15 years ago. I was on spring break from university and went out for a jog. Before I knew it, the dog grabbed me from behind, and bit the back of my thigh taking out a nice chunk. I managed to kick it in the face and make it home. Fortunately no artery was impacted or I could have bled to death right there on the street.

The family who owned the dog, had it from birth. They loved the dog and from all outward appearances did nothing to train the dog to fight or make it aggressive. The dog just lost it.

We called 911 and the ambulance showed up along with the Metro Dade police department. The first officer on the scene took out his side arm and said if the dog gets up (it had ended up on the neighbor's lawn and was just sitting there after the incident watching all the excitement) I'm going to shoot it dead. Animal control came, captured the dog and the owner decided to have it put down.

sudden

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:14 am

Very tragic for you as I think you lost a lot of trust in dogs from that day on.

I also feel for the dog as it acted upon instinct, not because it was you. Trust me, I do not try to defend the dogs action, but it could just as well have been a tackle.

Hope you recovered fully though.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

Pope

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting Sudden (Reply 43):
Very tragic for you as I think you lost a lot of trust in dogs from that day on.

Not true. I've had dogs before and after the incident. However, I realize that dogs are animals and any number of things can cause them to "remember" that fact at any moment.

We have a 70 lb yellow lab that I love and consider part of the family. That being said, he's never left alone with our child. Our dog is the gentlest dog I've ever known. He loves kids and completely knows that he has to tone it down when small kids are around. But I was also there when our child was loving on the dog and he snarled at her. He got such the reprimand that night that it has never happened again. He knows he did wrong - but I can't be 100% sure it won't happen again.

Hope you recovered fully though.

After minor surgery to close the wound everything was fine.

Fortunately, I was big enough to fend off the dog. I shutter to think what would have happened if any of the younger kids in the neighborhood (and there were many) were out playing that day and the dog attacked them.

I also feel for the dog as it acted upon instinct, not because it was you.

I agree completely. But it is my belief that a pit bull's nature is inherently more aggressive than other dogs.

sudden

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 44):
But it is my belief that a pit bull's nature is inherently more aggressive than other dogs.

I am not going to argue against you, but there is a difference between acting upon instinct, and being aggressive.
This breed is not born aggressive, but their instinct to chase and grab is bigger then other breeds.

About aggressive,
one of my own breeds was an aggressive young man. He simply did not let anyone come close to me. Did not matter if it was children, he would bite.
I found a really good place for him where he could do what he did best, to guard and be alert.

Aim for the sky!
Sudden
When in doubt, flat out!

Twistedwhisper

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:57 am

Can I just say... this guy cornholed a pit bull, and he's OK. So much for a aggressive dog.
I think he was pushing the term "man's best friend" to the very limit. It has to be illegal to be that friendly to an animal.
Read between the lines.

dragogoalie

Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:27 am

Quoting Sudden (Reply 45):

I am not going to argue against you, but there is a difference between acting upon instinct, and being aggressive.
This breed is not born aggressive, but their instinct to chase and grab is bigger then other breeds.

checkmark 
On the incident that Pope described, I still say pitbulls are not more aggressive than other dogs, but they have more muscles- so when they do bite, they bite hard. A lot of dogs are like the pitbull you described, pope, but they're not focused on- pitbulls have such a bad image because they're so fierce looking (and strong)

WHat happened to you could've happened with any other breed involved. The damage may not have been as extensive as it was, but I meet dogs like that literally every day... we have two living across the street from us- and it's a rottweiler and a west highland white terrier  Wink If they were to get out of the fenced garden, I can guarantee you that they'll bite. And someone will get hurt, badly. And the dogs will then be put down.

Agressiveness can also come through irresponsible breeding. The pitbulls your neighbors had may have come from some less fortunate bloodlines  Sad

I'm sorry that this had to happen to you and I understand why you have issues with pitbulls... for me and my mom, it's german shepherds (my mom was once attacked by one- and of course, I got the message that shepherds are dangerous from the second I could walk and we met such a "beast"- I've since learned to tackle this fear  Silly).

I've worked with COUNTLESS of pitbulls and not ONE has been aggressive. The two only dogs that have ever bitten me was a Australian shepherd and a rottweiler. I've never even seen a pitbull bare its teeth at me or others working with it.

Pope

Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:15 pm

Quoting Dragogoalie (Reply 47):
Agressiveness can also come through irresponsible breeding. The pitbulls your neighbors had may have come from some less fortunate bloodlines

Which is exactly my point. Some people said that training made the dogs aggressive, I was just pointing out that genetics plays a role as well.

Quoting Sudden (Reply 45):

Well Dragogalie seems to disagree with you. But even if we accept the second part of your statement, that their chase and grab instinct is bigger than other breeds, then that alone makes them unsuitable for domestication given the large potential for damage the pose.

You have the luxury of not arguing about it. I have 24 stitches in my legs supporting my position.

dragogoalie

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:20 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 48):
Which is exactly my point. Some people said that training made the dogs aggressive, I was just pointing out that genetics plays a role as well.

I see- but I have to point out that most pitbulls are not bred to be aggressive and that when they're bred right, they go through mentality testing (where trainers put them in different situations- ie., have them watch a child run away and see if they want to chase it and where they're provoked in every way possible)- dogs that do not pass this mentality test SHOULD NOT be used for family pets and/or breeding. Most dogs in denmark have to go through this to be added to the breeding register and even to get a pedigree.

Quoting Pope (Reply 48):
Well Dragogalie seems to disagree with you.

I do and I don't. All dogs have the chasing instinct. The pitbull doesn't have a bigger hunting instinct than other dogs, but the GRABBING, I agree with. When they bite, they will hang on. But dogs like bulldogs, boxers and Amstaffs are bred this way too.

If we were to ban pitbulls on because of the things you mention, we would have to ban boxers and bulldogs/Amstaffs as well- because they're bred EXACTLY the same way as the pitbull, with the same instincts and all... but most people don't raise an eyebrow at these breeds because they've been accepted as family pets for ages whereas the pitbull has been the "preferred" dog to use in illegal dogfighting (mainly because it's bigger/more muscular than the other breeds mentioned).