rootsair

Border Of Mexico=freedom...a Myth?

Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:53 pm

In every single movie people who want to escape justice want to go to Mexico because then they will be free. I guess they don't go to Canada because the police there collaborates with US police.
But nowadays, hasn't there been agreements between both US and Mexico that anyone who is wanted in USA can now be arrested in Mexico. Don't both police have agreements right now for really wanted people?
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

carmenlu15

RE: Border Of Mexico=freedom...a Myth?

Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:05 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):
In every single movie people who want to escape justice want to go to Mexico because then they will be free.

Guess it should be the other way round now...  Silly (not for the escaping justice part, but you get the idea)
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

RNOcommctr

RE: Border Of Mexico=freedom...a Myth?

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:24 am

Recently here in Reno, a pawnshop owner was wanted for a sniper attack on a family court judge and for the brutal murder of the suspect's wife. The suspect fled into Mexico and was on the loose for about a week. He finally surrendered himself to the U.S. consulate in Puerto Vallarta and was extradited without event back to Nevada.

So yes, Mexican authorities do have reciprocal extradition arrangements with U.S. authorities. The only catch would have been that had the suspect surrendered to Mexican police rather than to the U.S. consulate, the death penalty could not have been sought because there is no death penalty in Mexico.

There is a lot of anti-Mexican sentiment in Reno because of the immigration issue, but it kind of irked me at the time of this incident that no one wrote a letter to the newspaper commending the Mexican police, who were aggressive and very competent in tracking down this murder suspect.
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!