Yellowstone
Topic Author

Any Celtic/Irish Punk Fans On A.net?

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:35 am

Anyone here a fan of anyone like Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's, the Pogues, etc.?
I'm currently trying to decide whether to go to DKM's St. Patrick's Day show in Boston. That would be a hell of a show.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

runway777

RE: Any Celtic/Irish Punk Fans On A.net?

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:37 am

Im a fan, but moreso with the English bands. . like the fratellis, arctic monkeys, etc. lol
"kalli, be the best pilot you can be, who happens to be a girl" -Joe White

gunsontheroof

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:00 pm

I've seen Flogging Molly and The Dropkick Murphys many times. They're both good live bands, but I don't get much repeat listenability out of the albums I own by either of them. The Pogues are pretty good.

The Real McKenzies from Vancouver are worth checking out if you're interested in traditional Scottish sounds combined with punk rock songs about whiskey and soccer.

PlymSpotter

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:22 pm

I'm not a regular listener, but I do quite like the Pogues music, it's good for when I want a complete change from the normal stuff I listen too.

I also have a fair few songs by The Bloody Irish Boys, not sure if they are in the genre you describe, but their songs are different, quite good drinking music for an evening with mates.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Yellowstone
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:25 pm

Sadly, I am in a dorm with a bunch of hip-hop and classical music lovers...not exactly the right environment in which to blare What's Left of the Flag at top volume.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

n229nw

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:33 pm

I love the Pogues.

Dropkick Murphys are fun, Flogging Molly ok, but they don't really begin to compare to what Shane MacGowan and co. were doing for several albums. There was a brutal, vulgar, fragile poetry to both their words and and music that is hard to match.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

futureualpilot

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:15 pm

Im a fan of all of the above, Id love to see them sometime.
Life is better when you surf.

lowrider

Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:06 pm

I like the Dropkick Murphys as well. Came upon their music by accident in a bar. Its a nice change from the overproduced crap that passes for music these days.
Proud OOTSK member