NWDC10
Topic Author

Christmas Trees Removed From Sea-Tac International

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:42 am

United767

RE: Christmas Trees Removed From Sea-Tac International

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:47 am

Goes to show how one person can ruin the holiday spirit for thousands of travelers. Im not saying the Rabbi did not have a right to complain, but was it neccesary to take down all christmas decor in the airport?
I wish UA flew mainline to MYR, that way you wouldn't be stuck in a smelly Saturn for 12 hours.

CALMSP

Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:50 am

this bull sh!t is getting way out of hand.....i'd tell the rabbi to shove it.....but thats just me.

EMBQA

A Christmas tree is not a religious symble, the Menorah is. Now if they had a Manjor with baby Jesus then I could see his point.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

luv2fly

How it is one person can ruin it for everyone.
You can cut the irony with a knife

AirframeAS

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:05 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 4):

The trees are being taken down because the rabbi threatened to sue if he isn't allowed to put his decorations up and have a public gathering to promote it.... Bad timing for this bullcrap if you ask me...he should have requested this a month ago!! Some people's kids, I tell ya!  banghead 

That rabbi is asking for a public lynching of himself... Thanks for ruining the holiday spirit for the rest of us, moron!!!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

CALMSP

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:06 pm

exactly.........the christmas tree in no way represents one specific religion......it is a world wide symbol of the time of season.....nothing to do with the birth of Christ.

duncank

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:06 pm

Welcome to America!! So many municipalities, schools, and other instutions are bland this holiday because they won't put up Christmas decorations for fear of offending someone. Still, with no trees in the terminal, perhaps there's more room for security lines and queues for Starbucks!!!! My last visit there two weeks ago was only a 25 minute wait!  Angry

N766UA

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:07 pm

Because our friggin country sucks that's why. This PC crap is way out of hand.
This Website Censors Me

gunsontheroof

RE: Christmas Trees Removed From Sea-Tac Internati

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:18 pm

redflag   redflag   redflag  OMG!!! WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!  redflag   redflag   redflag 

Quoting United767 (Reply 1):
Goes to show how one person can ruin the holiday spirit for thousands of travelers.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 5):
Thanks for ruining the holiday spirit for the rest of us, moron!!!

Seriously...nothing ruins my Christmas season quite like a paucity of decorated trees at my local airport. They might as well dropkick a baby Jesus and throw up a huge "HAPPY HOLIDAYS!" banner in the central terminal while they're at it.  sarcastic 

dtwclipper

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:19 pm

My Dear Christian Friends,

As a (wayward) member of the Jewish Faith, I would like to a extend my most sincere apologies for the the actions of this one individual who has taken things well beyond P.C.

Yes, Christmas is a religious (though minor) holiday, it is part of our shared American culture, and represents to many a joyous time of year.

I am so sorry that this one jerk has caused such a scene, and has done nothing more but to encourage anti-semitism during a season that should be filled with joy and shared reflections.

santahat  Merry Christmas!
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

DTWAGENT

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:22 pm

I fail to see why SEA could not put up a Mennorah? Like that would take alot of planning. I hate it when (1) person threatens a lawsuite they get their way. If I did that I would be told to go someplace and we all know where that would be. This kind of crap is going to far..

Chuck

Coronado990

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:23 pm

Put up a nice spruce, make the place smell nice but no decorations and call it a holiday tree. Seems pretty neutral to me.

If that is still a problem with the Rabbi then I would suggest not going to Seattle because those kind of trees seem to be everywhere.
Uncle SAN at your service!

osiris30

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:26 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I am so sick and tired of this politcally correct horse-shit (sorry but it is). Screw it. Whatever happened to people growing a thicker skin.

You know what.. it's an afront to my beliefs to have to pay for air travel. Think I can get them to do away with having to pay for airfare?
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

COewrAAtysAZ

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:32 pm

I've got some great advice for him.... SEA-EWR-TLV. Problem solved!

However, I don't see why the airport couldn't put up the menorah and have no lighting ceremony. I don't think there was a Xmas lighting ceremony.
Continental Airlines: Trabajar con empe�?��?�±o, Volar con Pasi�?��?�³n

ksupilot

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 6):
exactly.........the christmas tree in no way represents one specific religion......it is a world wide symbol of the time of season.....nothing to do with the birth of Christ.

Exactly. The Christmas tree if anything dates back to some of the "pagan" religions during the Roman Empire. The only reason we have Christmas Trees is the fact that when the Romans tried to convert the Germanic tribes to Christianity and accept the Roman way of life, they included some of the pagan traditions (one of which was the worship of a tree goddess).

(I would like to add, thanks for this thread as I can count that little tidbit of info as studying for my History Exam  Smile )

atct

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:40 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 9):
OMG!!! WAR ON CHRISTMAS!!!

Exactly. This is where "Political Correctness" gets taken too far. Idiots like this Rabbi are part of the reason we cant say "Merry Christmas" anymore in the workplace etc. without fear of being sued for insulting people.

Well too bad if I insult anyone here but I mean this in the best of ways, but ...
Merry Christmas and God Bless!

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

ABQopsHP

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:47 pm

Forbid me if I were to get offended if someone wished me happy Hanukkah. What should I do call up the ACLU to tell them I'm offended? These radicals that push the PC agenda go way too far....Im not the least bit bothered when someone wishes me their holiday greeting or I see their style of decorations, so why should my christian decorations and greetings be banned. Yes too many people are thin skinned in this country and need to get over it.

Merry Christmas everyone Big grin
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

gunsontheroof

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting ATCT (Reply 17):
Exactly. This is where "Political Correctness" gets taken too far. Idiots like this Rabbi are part of the reason we cant say "Merry Christmas" anymore in the workplace etc. without fear of being sued for insulting people.

Clearly, mockery doesn't translate well into text.

I suggest this thread be moved to non-av. The only thing about this story that's related to aviation is the fact that it happened in an airport, and it's safe to assume the ensuing discussion is going to have very little to do with that.

AS737900

Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:52 pm

Well, I'm passing through SEA in a few weeks. I'm sure I'll be able to find something that offends me, and by golly, I'm going to threaten to sue if it isn't removed!  dollarsign   slaphappy  If we all did this, maybe they'll realize how ridiculous their actions are, giving into one person. On that note, they need to grow a pair... seriously. What if I was offended by airplanes?!?! What then Port of Seattle?!?!  wideeyed 

twinotter

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:22 pm

As usual, insecure Christians are having a fit.

I know, we must say "Merry Christmas", or we are evil.

I know, we must put gaudy lights and trees and god knows what crap over every inch of public space .. or we are evil.

I know, we must insist private merchants say those two magic words .. or they and we are evil.

And then they dare speak of "political correctness". Sheesh.

galapagapop

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:34 pm

This is rediculous, isn't 85% of America Christian and more than that celebrate the holiday in general? Why should it be so wrong to have trees, this is a democracy, and majority rules, why should some a$$wipe get to ruin it for all when no one is forcing him to look. Christmas has far surpassed anything Christian, spiritual, or religious and people need to start looking at it as such. Jesus wasn't born so Toy R' Us can go back into the black. Christmas is about religious as MJ is black nowadays.

AirTranTUS

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:40 pm

Quoting TwinOtter (Reply 21):
I know, we must put gaudy lights and trees and god knows what crap over every inch of public space .. or we are evil.

If you read the other replies, you will discover that many have said the Christmas Tree is not a Christian symbol. Nowhere in my Bible does it talk about evergreens, pines, etc. It does talk about mangers, but that is not the issue here. The issue here is a rabbi mistaking what could be called the "International Sign for Christmas" for a Christian symbol.

Quoting TwinOtter (Reply 21):
I know, we must say "Merry Christmas", or we are evil.

There was a discussion last month about what people preferred, "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays." Nearly every reply came back "Merry Christmas." Even from our non-Christian friends.

When Wal-Mart closes on December 25, they are not closed for Holiday holiday, they are closed for the Christmas holiday.

I think it is the insecure non-Christians that have been having a fit recently and ruining things for everyone else.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

santahat   santahat   santahat   champagne   champagne   champagne 
I love ASO!

twinotter

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:44 pm

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 22):
why should some a$$wipe get to ruin it for all

I rest my case. People who's holiday? life? whatever is "ruined" because SeaTac doesn't have a tree are fanatic.

Dude, ever heard of church? Family? Friends? Maybe an airport or other PUBLIC place where my tax dollars pay for you isn't the best place to look for whatever is "ruined" by lack of a tree.

twinotter

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:54 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 23):
I think it is the insecure non-Christians that have been having a fit recently and ruining things for everyone else.

Fair enough, a google search gives me hundreds of hits of Christians whining over "Merry Christmas".

If you can document equal numbers of non-Christians concerned about it, post.

gunsontheroof

Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:56 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 23):
When Wal-Mart closes on December 25, they are not closed for Holiday holiday, they are closed for the Christmas holiday.

Because if there's anything we should be gauging our standards off of, it's Wal-Mart.

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 22):
This is rediculous, isn't 85% of America Christian and more than that celebrate the holiday in general?

It's not so ridiculous...the percentage of the population that is Christian isn't anywhere near that high in the Seattle area. That doesn't mean I think we need to be taking Christmas trees down at Sea-Tac, but religion definetly has a much less significant influence on the northwest than it does on other parts of the country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...of_population_claiming_no_religion

NASCARAirforce

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:04 pm

Again this is Political Correctness running amok!!! Ok, I am very tolerant of other religions and traditions and usually I am one who speaks up about the paranoia of our country and unfairness of how it treats others due to 9-11...

But for Christ sakes I am sick of other cultures ruining American traditions too. These are traditions that have gone on for over 300 years in America, a lot of other religions and traditions have only been here less than 100 years, and most really didn't start complaining until the last 20 years. JUST DEAL WITH IT!!! Should a priest complain to El Al and try to sue for it not flying on the Sabbath too?

About 90% of the time I support the ACLU, how it defends our rights except for when they support this kind of bullshit.

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 6):
exactly.........the christmas tree in no way represents one specific religion

If anything the Christians should complain since the Christmas tree could probably be tied into Druidism and Paganism, the worship of trees. Late December actually was first the Pagan Holiday of the Winter Solstice.

vanguard737

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:04 pm

Shalom and Merry CHRISTmas to all!
320 717 722 732 733 735 737 738 744 752 753 763 772 DC9 DC10 MD80 B1900 S340 E120 ERJ CRJ CR7

galapagapop

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:07 pm

Quoting TwinOtter (Reply 25):
I rest my case. People who's holiday? life? whatever is "ruined" because SeaTac doesn't have a tree are fanatic.

Dude, ever heard of church? Family? Friends? Maybe an airport or other PUBLIC place where my tax dollars pay for you isn't the best place to look for whatever is "ruined" by lack of a tree.

I will repeat its not some religious symbol. It's no different, than mothers day, fathers day, Valentines day, or Halloween. Just like all those others holidays, it is economically driven, not some vehicle by the church to get you to sign up. Over 80% of America is Christian, and over 90% of America celebrates Christmas. Heck Israel isn't even as Jewish as America is Christian. I see your point but your neglecting to see that the trees and everything were already there said and done, and just becuase ONE person had a fit and wanted it his way they took everything down. And in this democracy no ONE person should be allowed to change things for the majority who are in favor of it. Over 30% of Americans find this happy holidays crap offensive, with 95% finding Merry Christmas not offensive, tell me one political figure or other poll that has numbers like that?

AlexPorter

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:09 pm

Let's see.

Christmas trees are to nativity scenes, as
________ are to menorahs:

Take whatever ______ is, and put some of them up. ______ represents common culturally-based decorations from the Hanukkah season that technically aren't really part of the Judaism, just as Christmas trees go along with Christmas but aren't really part of Christianity.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

SkyexRamper

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:12 pm

What some people will do to use religion to push their ways around. I totally agree with everyone who says that the tree has nothing to do with religion, but the dang holiday itself. I guess Coke should stop printing the Santa on their cans then. I think this rabbi has a grudge with the city or county so he wanted to win some argument. Christmas is a commerical holiday if anything, I think the airport should have instituted some phone voting thing so that the public could voice their opinions.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

twinotter

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:14 pm

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 30):
It's no different, than mothers day, fathers day, Valentines day, or Halloween.

Given that, why is it "ruinous" (your words) to not have a tree in an airport?

I celebrate all those holidays you listed, but it sure wouldn't ruin my life if an airport did not.

gunsontheroof

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 pm

Quoting TwinOtter (Reply 33):
I celebrate all those holidays you listed, but it sure wouldn't ruin my life if an airport did not.

Agreed.

"Wow, I can't believe Christmas is over!"
"Me neither...Christmas dinner at grandma's sure was tasty!"
"And how!"
"Seeing the family again sure was fun! I'm glad we can all get together this time of year!"
"Me too...we were having such a great time..."
"Then, we went to the airport and they didn't have any Christmas trees."
"Totally killed the holiday spirit for me."
"Worst Christmas EVER! Sea-Tac sure hates Jesus!"
"I don't want to talk about it."

The preceding conversation has never, and will never happen. I'm inclined to speculate that all of you that are bitching about this are going to have terrific Christmases with your family and friends despite what the godless sodomites at SEA do to try and ruin it for you. Stop pretending this is another front in your percieved assault on Christmas and enjoy your holiday season.

franzloew

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:31 pm

Oh... that's just Seattle, people cry if you honk your horn at them here. The city is so boring, they have to do something like this to keep the nightly news going. It is a surprise with all the tree huggers here, you think they would be happy if they put a tree up in the airport.

KILL THE WHALES, SAVE THE PLANKTON!

northwestEWR

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:34 pm

I guess NYC should take down the tree in Rockefeller center then......
This is such BS. One guy has to ruin a non religious holiday for everyone else.
Shame on him !
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

NASCARAirforce

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:35 pm

Quoting Franzloew (Reply 35):
Oh... that's just Seattle, people cry if you honk your horn at them here. The city is so boring, they have to do something like this to keep the nightly news going. It is a surprise with all the tree huggers here, you think they would be happy if they put a tree up in the airport.

What do you expect from a city of gray skies and a lot of rain all the time. No wonder they are so dreary...

Oh wait... I am originally from Detroit... man I am one who should talk.

twinotter

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:44 pm

Quoting NorthwestEWR (Reply 36):
guess NYC should take down the tree in Rockefeller center then......

You are missing the point, NorthwestEWR. Everybody loves Christmas trees. Nobody minds the beautiful Rockefeller tree because it is on private property. The disagreement is over paying for them. (Leading to the pretty lame arugment that Christmas trees aren't really about Christmas).

[Edited 2006-12-10 06:46:16]

gunsontheroof

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:52 pm

Quoting Franzloew (Reply 35):

You should really check out Spokane, you seem cut out for it. Welcome to A.net.

N328KF

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:53 pm

Quoting TwinOtter (Reply 38):
Nobody minds the beautiful Rockefeller tree because it is on private property.

Privatize SEATAC. Problem solved.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

sllevin

Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:53 pm

I'm sorry...for those of you who don't feel a christmas tree is a symbol of religion...you're wrong.

And when you say "the majority should rule" without regard to laws and process....remember than airplane spotting -- indeed, A.net, would probably find a majority of people against it "just in case" it was a security threat.

Steve

F9Animal

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:00 pm

If Santa comes to my house, I will call the police and have him booked for breaking and entering! Then I will sue him!

The rabi is a ba humbug in my book. He should be sued for hurting the feelings of children this holiday season. Oh yes, and adults too.
I Am A Different Animal!!

tf39

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:01 pm

Did you hear the one about the priest, the Rabbi and the Christmas Tree?  Wink

Hey - Merry Christmas to all of you and wishing you safe travels to where ever you're going!

Halcyon

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:02 pm

Oh what BS. I'm a Christian and don't celebrate Christmas for the religious thing it represents, as I do not believe in it. And to those who don't seem to get it would have been no problem had the person not demanded it be taken down. Your argument that it is religious would work if other people (such as atheists) did not celebrate it also, or were against having Xmas trees, but they aren't. All this PC is such crap.

Get a life and let the others of us be merry, you scrooges.

Lucas

twinotter

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:13 pm

Hehehe, i still giggle at the irony of people who disparage "PC" --- and then spout political correctness ("let the others of us be merry").

What is more politically correct than traditional Christmas?

ckfred

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:33 pm

I have a number of friends who are Jewish: Reformed, Conservative, and Orthodox. They have no problems with Christmas decorations, including Christmas trees, in public facilities, including airports, courthouses, city halls, schools, etc.

Their only problem is nativity scenes in public places, although, the City of Chicago gets around this by letting any religious group display symbols of their faith in Daley Plaza in the Loop. That's why there is both a navity scene and a very large menorah on display in December.

osiris30

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:39 pm

Quoting TwinOtter (Reply 26):
Fair enough, a google search gives me hundreds of hits of Christians whining over "Merry Christmas".

Here's the problem TwinOtter... if you walk up to me as a 'Christian' and wish me 'Happy Kwanza', or 'Merry Purple Alien Day' (or hang a banner, etc.), I can't do anything. If I put up a Christmas Tree you can sue... see the f***ing problem???

It's not about any one religion, it's that some chose to bitch and moan and get treated with kit cloves while the other gets shit on for being the 'popular' one.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

Ward86IND

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:47 pm

They should have let that asshole sue. Like it was gonna get anywhere in court. Way to be a dick rabbi. The Christmas tree by itself is a symbol of this time of year with no real religious connections. Either grow a pair, or as another user said SEA-EWR-TLV. And I hope your IFE options consist of solely Christmas movies. Dick.
Live your dream.

SWAFA27

Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:56 pm

Well I guess we'll just have to wait for the GD ACLU to come and make everything right though huh?  sarcastic 
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co

silentbob

Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:00 pm

Quoting KSUpilot (Reply 16):
Exactly. The Christmas tree if anything dates back to some of the "pagan" religions during the Roman Empire. The only reason we have Christmas Trees is the fact that when the Romans tried to convert the Germanic tribes to Christianity and accept the Roman way of life, they included some of the pagan traditions (one of which was the worship of a tree goddess).

If prostitution is the oldest profession then marketing is a close number two, assuming you can make a distinction between the two. I believe it's Jeremiah 10:1-5, emphasis on 4.

ZBBYLW

Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:17 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 10):

Hey DTW you hit it right on the head IMO. It is now part of the Culture of some countries and there is nothing wrong with it. Sure SEA could have put something up for the rabbi, but then where will this ever end. Who is next to please. To take it down IMO is a waste of time, it goes up and IMO should have just stayed there till right after Christmas, and re-look at the situation for next year. Also an interesting thing here, is one of my friends/neighbours are Jewish. Every Christmas they put what they call "Christmas lights" and also a "Christmas tree" up so people from the road can see. They do this in the spirit of the holiday, nothing more, nothing less. Also when they do get Christmas gifts, from people who celebrate Christmas it goes under there tree and gets opened up on the 25th. I have to say i respect them 100% they do their traditional Jewish holiday procedures, but also welcome Christmas and are neutral to the situation as they know many people celebrate Christmas. Anyways if this did not make any sense what so ever please ignore, its late and i just got in from YVR.
Keep the shinny side up!