lehpron

Are You Into Your Career?

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:39 pm

Note, I didn't say job. I can understand the loathing obligatory experience as paying the bills.

I mean career, something you supposedly made the choice for actually wanting to do. So supposedly, you wanted to do what you're doing. Hence I figure one must be into (interested in) their career.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

fxramper

RE: Are You Into Your Career?

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:42 pm

Airline industry? Heck no...what was I thinking.

Currently pursuing alternative career!  Wink  yes   bouncy 

...eh Sean?  checkmark 

NeilYYZ

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:42 pm

Well, I'm a student now and a Landscaper for a good portion of the year, however, eventually I'm taking the ANC route to be in law enforcement. Military first, and then police if all works out well.

I really like Landscaping, great job, physical work, and nice to see something accomplished at the end of every day, if I couldn't go the law enforcement route I would likely stay a Landscaper/Snow Removal Technician  Wink
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

AsstChiefMark

Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:48 pm

Which one? I'm in my third career.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

lehpron

Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:00 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 3):
Which one? I'm in my third career

well whichever you choose, do you like it, how is your decision made?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

bravo45

Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:00 pm

Not yet. Though frustrated by things keeping me out, I am not giving up and its not gonna take much now.

kbfispotter

Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:02 pm

I love my career choice... I love aircraft, and love the industry, just not the airline industry, which is why I am trying to get a job involved in GA...

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

QXatFAT

Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:07 pm

Well right now I am doing the Youth Pastor thing but I am in Ministry. I love it and wouldnt trade it for anything! Soon I will be a full time Missionary over seas after I get my degree. So yes, I love my career!
Don't Tread On Me!

HAWK21M

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:56 pm

I can't do anything apart from Aircraft Maintence.I enjoy myself & they pay me for it.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Halcyon

Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:05 pm

I'm a student hoping to one day be a commercial pilot if my love of medical work does not take over. I do love my medical mini-career though.

Lucas

foppishbum

Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:23 pm

I'm a field trainer for this company based in Sacramento, California that provides applied behavior analysis treatment/services for children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). It's really hard to say if I'm into my career or not because there are good days and bad days. For example, I've been bitten, peed on, and scratched with nails by many children. The biting was the worst though. I guess I'm into my career cus the psychological and neurological aspect of ASD is extremely interesting and many researchers are trying to figure out what causes ASD and trying to come up with a cure for children with ASD. I came into college wanting to become a doctor but now I realized I'm more interested in psychobiology rather than JUST biology. Psychology is a pretty interesting field. Ultimately, I want to become a therapist (PhD in clinical psychology). But who knows? Maybe I'll become a psychiatrist if ANY medical school would want me.  tongue 

foppishbum
Taiwanese-American :D

57AZ

Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:43 pm

I'm pretty much into my career field. That doesn't mean that I want to stay at my current position but I would like to stay within the organization and work my way up. Take home pay isn't anything to write about but we have very good benefits. I get paid sick and vacation time in addition to good health benefits. At the end of the year, I can roll over a good portion of unused paid sick time to paid vacation for the next year. I didn't take any of my paid vacation or sick time during my first year on the job as a paid employee. This year I took something like 4 weeks off on paid vacation.

Benefits aside, I enjoy helping people and working in a challenging atmosphere. Very few people truely understand how courts work and as a deputy court clerk you see a lot. I view the law and the Constitution of the United States of America as the Great Equalizers when properly used. They make the humblest citizen equal to the most powerful under the law. Our judiciary is only as good as we make it to be. There is so much work to be done to ensure that the judiciary remains an untainted bastion of freedom and equality that I cannot imagine doing any other job. I recognize that our system is not perfect and never will be. Still, when I look at other judicial systems around the world, I am reminded that we have one of the best judiciaries that exists and I am proud to be part of it.

On a personal note, we at the courthouse see all sorts of people everyday. True many are unhappy, either because they are involved in a court case or in the process of divorce. Still we see a lot of happy people as well. If you want to get married in the State of Arizona, you have to appear before a Deputy Clerk of the Superior Court in order to obtain your Marriage License. Many people come to our office to complete their passport applications so that they can take that trip of a lifetime. In the United States District Court, they see people taking the last step on the road to citizenship as they become naturalized citizens-I myself being one of them. My naturalization was finalized in 1979 at the United States District Court in the Eastern District of Tennessee. Twenty years later, I was working as an intern in that same courthouse.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

UK_Dispatcher

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:27 pm

The airline industry is addictive. I can't imagine doing anything else.

Speedbirdie

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:33 pm

Im an FA and I LOVE it!!!
Since 1 Jan 06, I have counted 48 Flight Deck Rides.. My last being in the flight deck for the 2 Take Offs and Landings yesterday in G-BPEE (757)
Today I'll be in the Flight Deck for G-EUPJ (319) FRA-LHR...
So its pretty much ok for me to say my job Rules!!
Never give up..

miamiair

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:03 pm

For me, aviation is not a profession; it is a disease. I work in my hobby and get paid for it. I get to watch them, fly them and fix them. To me, it doesn't get any better than that.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Kieron747

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:29 pm

Skidmarks is certainly into his carer, sorry, career.

Wink

Personally, I really like my career chioce, i.e being an editor. I still get to work in science and chemistry, and enjoy writing!

Kieron747
Airliners.Net - The Jam Rag Of The Web.

skidmarks

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:54 pm

Definition of career - hurtle downhill in an uncontrolled state. Yep, I guess thats where I'm at right now!! Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

MYT332

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:00 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 16):
hurtle downhill in an uncontrolled state. Yep, I guess thats where I'm at right now!!

Has Lew been tampering with you wheelchair brake again?
One Life, Live it.

SmithAir747

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:04 pm

As a third-year student in craniofacial development at Guy's Hospital (King's College London), this is the year I'm applying for a PhD in craniofacial research.
I already have some craniofacial research experience; just this last summer I was here doing research.

I am currently applying at King's College London, UCL Institute of Child Health, and the University of Manchester for my PhD project (which would start next year). My plan is to do a PhD in craniofacial research. KCL, UCL, and the University of Manchester, all in the UK, have craniofacial research departments (especially King's and Manchester). Two professors of mine at King's are very interested in having me as their PhD student! I have also contacted a professor at Manchester, who discovered the gene for my syndrome (Treacher Collins syndrome). So I've been busy submitting my CV and applications.

My issue now is finding studentship/grant funding or sponsorship for my PhD project; it would need to cover research/bench fees, university fees, and living expenses.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Thom@s

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:08 am

I'm happy with my choice in career. Sitting in the tower all day... working with aircrafts and sitting with the TV / Internet during the quiet periods... And I get paid for it...  Smile

Now if only I could get a job at my home airport, everything would be perfect.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

aerobalance

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting Lehpron (Thread starter):
So supposedly, you wanted to do what you're doing.

Yes.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

IFEMaster

Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:24 am

I wasn't when I first started working after college - the thought of climbing a corporate ladder, being someone's technical bitch for a few years, having to brown nose left right and center to get ahead etc. sent shivers down my spine. I hated it.

But since I quit that and started my own business (coming up on 6 years ago), I've never looked back. I love my company, I love what we do and the way that we do it, I love the people who work for me - really love them to bits, they are the absolute mutt's nuts and they never say "I can't/don't know how to do that" and have never ever let me down (except the one ex-employee who slagged off one of our clients on his blog) - and I love that I actually look forward to coming in to the office each and every day.

Am I in to my career? Absolutely.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

jetjack74

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:32 am

Yes, my 2nd career is what enjoy doing. I left the aircraft maintenence field to go in to the flight attendant profession. A big paycut at the time when I switched(took and even bigger paycut as an FA recently), but with all the problems and less-than glamourous things we do, I still enjoy the job 10 years into it. It's still a rewarding career for me.

Quoting Speedbirdie (Reply 13):
Since 1 Jan 06, I have counted 48 Flight Deck Rides.. My last being in the flight deck for the 2 Take Offs and Landings yesterday in G-BPEE (757)
Today I'll be in the Flight Deck for G-EUPJ (319) FRA-LHR...
So its pretty much ok for me to say my job Rules!!

You have about 41 more FD rides than me. Some people have all the luck. NW doesn't allow non-pilots in the flight deck on revenue flights. We only can ride in the FD on ferry flights. ALPA has done their best to keep us off their jumpseats while still being able to ride ours.
Made from jets!

BMIFlyer

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:35 am

Quoting Lehpron (Thread starter):
Are You Into Your Career?

Yes, I like the railway job very much. Comes with a lot of benefits too  Smile

As for the military one, I love it - gives me lots of confidence and keeps me fit too  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

cornish

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am

Am I into my career ? Aviation Consultancy ?

You bet. I get to do a wide variation of projects ranging from starting up new airlines and route development work to government and regulatory work to demand forecasting for new airport construction around the world.

Means i get to enjoy my passion for the industry and get to tavel and see the world. Wouldn't exchange it for anything right now  Smile
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

ajd1992

Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:59 am

Nope. I'm not paid for school, so therefore it automatically sucks. I only have 18 months left, and I'll be getting my PPL in the meantime.

Leezyjet

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 24):
Am I into my career ? Aviation Consultancy ?

You bet. I get to do a wide variation of projects ranging from starting up new airlines and route development work to government and regulatory work to demand forecasting for new airport construction around the world.

Sounds like something I would enjoy. What do you actually do ?. Is the pay good ?.

After 13-14 years in the airline industry at the sharp end, I'm starting to find it a bit of a chore. It used to be fun, but recently I'm just going through the motions and it isn't as fun or enjoyable as it used to be. I love the company I work for, but it is just the job that is getting a bit monotamous (sp??) now. I've been doing it so long that I could do it with my eyes closed and even when something goes drastically wrong, which is when I really earn my money, it isn't any challenge to me anymore as I've seen/dealt with almost every eventuality so I know exactly how to resolve it.

I've got a couple of other ideas for a career change, but I really don't know what to do with myself at the moment.

Any vacancies Cornish ?.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

MYT332

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:22 am

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 26):
I've got a couple of other ideas for a career change, but I really don't know what to do with myself at the moment.

I hear there is a shortage of prostitutes in one particular part of the country at present. The pay is good.  duck 
One Life, Live it.

mhodgson

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:32 am

Yeah - I'm about £50k into it...!!!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

MYT332

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 28):

You're just 1/32 of the way thru too.  stirthepot 
One Life, Live it.

IFEMaster

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 29):
Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 28):

You're just 1/32 of the way thru too.  stirthepot 

And you need to update your blog!
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

CastleIsland

Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:53 am

I really enjoy my career. Trained as an organic chemist and later an MS in Civil & Environmental Engineering, on any given day I might:

- Perform linear regression of national laboratory proficiency testing data to determine a Practical Quantitation Level for chemicals in drinking water;

- Develop alternative statistical parameters that can be used to determine reliable reporting limits for chemicals in water;

- Rank chemicals in terms of prioritization for potential regulation in drinking water based on their toxicity and occurrence in drinking water;

- Visit a facility that is working in new materials that may have currently unknown fate and transport properties in the environment;

- Determine the level of risk to human heath presented by a hazardous waste site;

- Analyze data trends in support of litigation for waste site, landfills, etc...

There's no one way to be trained for this job; it's pretty much just rely on scientific insights and be willing to continue learning every day.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

mhodgson

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 30):

And you need to update your blog!

Thy will be done... over Christmas  Silly. Not had much to put in it, except 'Groundschool followed by Revision' every day for the past 8 or so weeks...
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

kaddyuk

Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 8):
I can't do anything apart from Aircraft Maintence.I enjoy myself & they pay me for it.

Ditto...

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 27):
I hear there is a shortage of prostitutes in one particular part of the country at present. The pay is good.

You Sicko...

He's Way Too Fat for THAT job...  Wink
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

ShyFlyer

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:43 am

I'm currently reevaluating my career choice: Commercial Aviation.

For the longest time, I wanted for fly for the airlines. Any one, didn't really matter. But now, I'm not so sure. Not that I don't want to fly anymore, I'm just not sure if my future lies in fixed or rotary wing aircraft.
I lift things up and put them down.

jafa39

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:03 pm

I love my career, I didn't have one until my mid-30's and it has been onwards and upwards ever since.

I count my blessings to have found something that 11 years down the track still keeps me motivated.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Leezyjet

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 33):
Quoting Myt332 (Reply 27):
I hear there is a shortage of prostitutes in one particular part of the country at present. The pay is good.

You Sicko...

He's Way Too Fat for THAT job...

HA HA. You 2 are way too funny. You should both be on the Comedy Awards tonight !!.

Anyway Alex, just out of interest how DO you know the pay for prostitutes is good ?.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

cornish

Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 26):
Any vacancies Cornish ?.

Yes there are - however it requires depositing a large amount of cash into my private bank account before i'll look at your CV  Wink
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

ilikeyyc

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:01 am

When I was little, I always wanted to be the guy on the ramp that marshalled in the planes. I got to do that for two summers in college and I had a blast. The only problem was that the job couldn't pay the bills. Now I am an aircraft mechanic with a regional airline. I like what I do because I'm not confined to a desk and I don't have typical work hours. But I can't see myself doing this forever.
Fighting Absurdity with Absurdity!

Banco

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:08 am

Hmm. I went through the whole "career" thing for a number of years, getting progressively more disillusioned with the idea of working in a company. So many of them were badly run. In the end I decided to strike out on my own. Should have done it years ago, really. The freedom is just heaven.

Is that a career? I suppose so. At least I don't have to rely on anyone for a promotion.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

JGPH1A

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 24):
Am I into my career ? Keeper of the Hobnobs ?

What's not to be into ? Oats, chocolate, sugar, butter - mmmmm !

Quoting Cornish (Reply 37):
however it requires depositing a large amount of cash into my private bank account before i'll look at your CV

That's the first time I've heard it referred to as a "CV"  Wink

Re the career, I think I FINALLY am actually having a career, as opposed to a series of jobs. I still need to find out what the progression could be, but I love my current job, wouldn't change it for anything, and it gives me a lot of scope. Plus I get to fly LOADS - woohoo !!
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cornish

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:16 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 39):

Hmm but then you don't have an office junior to kick.

I feel sorry for the cat  Wink

Banco

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:20 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 40):
What's not to be into ? Oats, chocolate, sugar, butter - mmmmm !

Chocolate hobnobs? Tut-tut, you're such a lush... Big grin

Quoting Cornish (Reply 41):
Hmm but then you don't have an office junior to kick.

Good point. I'll put out an ad for a 19 year old bimbo immediately. She can multi-task. Big grin

JGPH1A

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:23 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 42):
Chocolate hobnobs?

Plain hobnobs are just Hobnobs Light - no damn good to anyone.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

skidmarks

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:28 am

Good point. I'll put out an ad for a 19 year old bimbo immediately. She can multi-task.

I'm blond, blue eyed and available! Big grin Make a mean cuppa and can multi-task if required.

Yes, I am getting desparate, but who cares? Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

cornish

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:30 am

Good point. I'll put out an ad for a 19 year old bimbo immediately. She can multi-task.

Hmm I think the REAL boss of the house will veto that idea Big grin

MYT332

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:31 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 44):
Yes, I am getting desparate, but who cares?

Kirkie. Don't you know he's been aspiring to do this job for years and now something more than an amoeba has challenged him for the job, well, it's game over for him. Sad
One Life, Live it.

JGPH1A

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:32 am

I'm blond,

Blond ? Hah ! Not in this millenium, Kojak  biggrin 

Banco

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:35 am

I'm blond, blue eyed and available!

You could certainly perform the office-junior-kicking function.  scratchchin 

cornish

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:37 am

can multi-task if required.

I don't think drinking soup through a straw and peeing yourself at the same time is the multi-tasking Banco had in mind.