AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Who The Hell Buys A Lexus As A Christmas Gift?

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:47 am

So I'm watching TV, and, for the second (third?) year in a row, there's a commercial showing some loving jerk buying his or her beloved a brand-new Lexus, complete with a red bow on top.

I would like to know how many people actually buy their spouses one or more Lexi for Christmas, and why we must feel obligated to incur a $55,000.00 obligation in order to feel that we've made the grade as givers of Christmas gifts.

Whatever happened to the adage, "It's the thought that counts"?

[Edited 2006-12-16 23:50:53]
What's fair is fair.

Kay

RE: Who The Hell Buys A Lexus As A Christmas Gift?

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:53 am

The wife needs something to brag about with her friends.

Kiddin, and I pity someone in such a situation.

Kay

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting Kay (Reply 1):

Ye gods, we live in such a materialistic society!

I know what you say is true, in all too many cases.
What's fair is fair.

AeroWesty

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):
I would like to know how many people actually buy their spouses one or more Lexi for Christmas,

Probably more than you'd suppose, and that goes the same for other luxury models.

why we must feel obligated to incur a $55,000.00 obligation in order to feel that we've made the grade as givers of Christmas gifts.

How does the commercial make you feel "obligated"? FFS, the Nieman-Marcus Christmas catalog filled with high-ticket items has been published for eons. Just because it exists, does it really make you feel obligated to buy something from it?
International Homo of Mystery

Falcon84

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:03 am

Who? All those wealthy people who got those bigger n' God tax breaks from the Repubicans, that's who.

Or, soemone who lives in a 2 bedroom duplex, worth about 80 grand, with little living space, who can't afford a Lexus, but want to look rich. I see a LOT of Lexus' of all kinds on my walks into just such areas.
Work Right, Fly Hard

DianaIvanova

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:06 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 2):
Quoting Kay (Reply 1):

Ye gods, we live in such a materialistic society!

Now, if someone would come along and offer to buy ME a Lexus for Christmas, I would not be able to say "No."

In fact I'd probably say, "Yes, YES! Please!" If that makes me materialistic, then I'll happily hold hands with Madonna !

(Actually I'd prefer a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti or even a Bugatti Veyron. But it would be so rude to turn down that offer of a Lexus.)

Happy Christmas to you all
Diana.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:07 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 3):
How does the commercial make you feel "obligated"? FFS, the Nieman-Marcus Christmas catalog filled with high-ticket items has been published for eons. Just because it exists, does it really make you feel obligated to buy something from it?

Yes, it does. Because you have to keep up with the Jones, those bastards.
What's fair is fair.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting DianaIvanova (Reply 5):
Now, if someone would come along and offer to buy ME a Lexus for Christmas, I would not be able to say "No."

I'd buy a luxo-car -- I recently had a Lincoln that I was very proud of -- but I'm too interested in having a decent retirement, instead. Savings is more important than a new luxury car. And for what? To flaunt one's "wealth"?

There are too many people who are in debt up to their eyeballs already. I wouldn't want anyone to do that for me just for Christmas. (Yeah, right.  Wink )

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 4):
Who? All those wealthy people who got those bigger n' God tax breaks from the Repubicans, that's who.

Don't knock tax breaks, please. They rock.

Diana.

Happy and Merry Christmas to you, as well!  Smile
What's fair is fair.

AeroWesty

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 6):
Because you have to keep up with the Jones, those bastards.

You *have* to? Says who?

At my first job, the senior partner of the law firm, rich enough to buy himself anything he wanted, bought a Chevy Caprice once every three or four years. Always green, for some reason. He was an all around nice guy, very unpretentious. I know plenty of others just like him.

DianaIvanova

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:17 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 7):

I'd buy a luxo-car -- I recently had a Lincoln that I was very proud of -- but I'm too interested in having a decent retirement, instead. Savings is more important than a new luxury car. And for what? To flaunt one's "wealth"?

Goodness................ I'd never buy a luxury car for myself (I am permanently broke any way). But it is nice to fanticise about some wonderful guy buying one for me.

Diana.

Happy and Merry Christmas to you, as well!

And a prosperous New Year too
Diana

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:17 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):
At my first job, the senior partner of the law firm, rich enough to buy himself anything he wanted, bought a Chevy Caprice once every three or four years. Always green, for some reason. He was an all around nice guy, very unpretentious. I know plenty of others just like him.

That sounds pretty practical.

Practical [not-equal sign] What Madison Ave. wants you to be.

[Equal sign] My point.
What's fair is fair.

Kay

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:18 am

But it would be so rude to turn down that offer of a Lexus.)

But if all your friends got a Lexus from their husbands, would it be rude from your husband not to offer you one?

Kay

AeroWesty

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:21 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 10):
Practical [not-equal sign] What Madison Ave. wants you to be.

[Equal sign] My point.

Huh? You decided you must keep up with the Joneses, not Madison Ave. or Lexus. They're just marketing a vehicle to potential customers.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:21 am

Quoting Kay (Reply 11):
But if all your friends got a Lexus from their husbands, would it be rude from your husband not to offer you one?

Whatever car I would offer to my spouse -- if I had one -- would be something I'd want to drive, like a Corvette. A Lexus, except the SC300, is way too stodgy for me. (Yeah, yeah -- this from someone who once drove a Ford.)

Thank God I'm not married, if the stories from my divorced friends are to be believed. She'd get the car anyway, after a few years -- thanks be to the courts, I guess.
What's fair is fair.

Air380

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:24 am

I talked to an older women yesterday whose husband bought her a Mercedes SLK, does that count? Oh, and it will be hidden in the garage with a big red bow until Christmas! I asked why she knew already and she said, she needed to pick the right color! I was a little envious, must be nice!

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:26 am

Quoting Air380 (Reply 14):
I talked to an older women yesterday whose husband bought her a Mercedes SLK, does that count? Oh, and it will be hidden in the garage with a big red bow until Christmas! I asked why she knew already and she said, she needed to pick the right color! I was a little envious, must be nice!

Was she one of those broads (so to speak) from Real Housewives of Orange County?

And no, I'm not bitter about ex-spouses that take you for all you're worth.... No cause to be, thank God.
What's fair is fair.

Mir

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:34 am

Awww, did somebody get one-upped?  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

AsstChiefMark

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:37 am

Any man who can afford to give a Lexus to a woman as a gift surely can't be buying it for his wife. Keep that in mind the next time you watch that advert.

I think the neighborhood knows he's cheating on his wife and has turned out en masse to watch the next episode of "Blinded By Love."

Mark

[Edited 2006-12-17 00:44:37]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:44 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 17):
Any man who can afford to give a Lexus to a woman as a gift surely can't be buying it for his wife. Keep that in mind the next time you watch that advert.

Good point, there.  Wink
What's fair is fair.

Kay

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:46 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 17):

Mark

Right, she's already been sold! He doesn't need to.
Plus secretaries need to get to work quickly and conveniently.

Kay

DianaIvanova

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:52 am

Quoting Kay (Reply 11):
But it would be so rude to turn down that offer of a Lexus.)

Kay

I don't have a husband and my boyfriend, another dancer, says can't even afford to buy me candy bar for Christmas.
Boooo Hoooooo..............
Diana

AsstChiefMark

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:53 am

BTW... Keep in mind that a Lexus is just a fancy Toyota. The name comes from Toyota's name for the project: Luxury Export to the United States

Mark

[Edited 2006-12-17 00:57:15]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Kay

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:56 am

Quoting DianaIvanova (Reply 20):

Cheer up!!  Smile

Many people are spending Christmas as singles, watching the rest! Now that can't be fun! (unless they don't want of course)

Kay

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:58 am

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 21):
BTW... Keep in mind that a Lexus is just a fancy Toyota.

That, and visions of sugar plums, will indeed help me through this season of "giving".  

I don't have a husband and my boyfriend, another dancer, says can't even afford to buy me candy bar for Christmas.

I'm sorry to hear that! Genuinely. But I think that -- and I'm serious -- this isn't a season to give material things to each other. It's more the season to be there for one another -- to help, to be of comfort.

Life is difficult for everyone, no matter how rich or poor, but this season is one for sharing, and I hope that you and your boyfriend will share many great experiences in this and many other times to come.

Merry Christmas to all!  

[Edited 2006-12-17 01:02:57]
What's fair is fair.

Falcon84

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:00 am

Glad you're rich enough to realize it.  Yeah sure
Work Right, Fly Hard

DianaIvanova

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:20 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 23):

I'm sorry to hear that! Genuinely. But I think that -- and I'm serious -- this isn't a season to give material things to each other. It's more the season to be there for one another -- to help, to be of comfort.

Life is difficult for everyone, no matter how rich or poor, but this season is one for sharing, and I hope that you and your boyfriend will share many great experiences in this and many other times to come.

Merry Christmas to all!

That is very sweet of you. Many thanks for your sentiments.

Here we celebrate Christmas on January 7th and, on your Christmas Day, I'll actually be working as we have a performance that evening. But it is all the same and I will toast my western friends when I get off stage that night.

Happy Christmas to you too.

Diana

Duff44

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:34 am

Quoting Kay (Reply 22):
Many people are spending Christmas as singles, watching the rest!

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 
I have lots of family though, so I'll be with them

can't even afford to buy me candy bar for Christmas.

I'm in that situation myself... had to spend my money on more important things... like heat.

Quoting DianaIvanova (Reply 25):
Here we celebrate Christmas on January 7th

I'm doing it tomorrow (Dec 17th) because the rest of my family is going to Florida to visit my grandparents.
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

Charger

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:06 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 6):
Yes, it does. Because you have to keep up with the Jones, those bastards.

No you don't. You choose to. My wife and myself refuse to be sucked into that BS, and you know what the outcome is? I am retiring full time as of February 2007 at the age of 43.

Agree 100%. Both my wife and myself drive really nice cars. We don't finance anything. Our philosiphy is if we don't have the cash to buy it outright, we wait until we do. We pay ourselves the car payments.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):
At my first job, the senior partner of the law firm, rich enough to buy himself anything he wanted, bought a Chevy Caprice once every three or four years. Always green, for some reason. He was an all around nice guy, very unpretentious. I know plenty of others just like him

Actually it's very common. Most people who really have large amounts of money, that's not constantly in the public eye, are known for this. I have a cousin who is a multi millionaire commercial real estate broker and she just bought herself a new Chevy Impala.

ltbewr

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:13 pm

Some guys may have to buy their wife a fancy car due to guilt or getting caught at cheating on them. For others, they may just love their wives. For some, it may actually be a lease, or written off their business expenses and the end of year is a good last chance to take advantage of good profits, tax breaks and deductions.

Nancy

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:35 pm

I won't get a Lexus for Christmas - Christmas is ruined!
signed by AirbusA346

aa757first

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:36 pm

This is a silly thread.

Unless you're Bill Gates, there is always someone who can afford more than you.

I guess those people are just always pretentious?

AAndrew

ScarletHarlot

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:03 pm

Quoting Charger (Reply 27):
My wife and myself refuse to be sucked into that BS, and you know what the outcome is? I am retiring full time as of February 2007 at the age of 43.

Well done! We are hoping to do a similar thing ourselves.

Both my wife and myself drive really nice cars. We don't finance anything. Our philosiphy is if we don't have the cash to buy it outright, we wait until we do. We pay ourselves the car payments.

Mr. Harlot has his eye on a new car and he is saving up for it now. It will take him a few years but so what?

I refuse to carry any debt other than a mortgage and possibly a car payment - and the car debt should be paid off ASAP.
But that was when I ruled the world

zippyjet

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:19 pm

So I'm watching TV, and, for the second (third?) year in a row, there's a commercial showing some loving jerk buying his or her beloved a brand-new Lexus, complete with a red bow on top.

Believe it or not, this sappy commercial goes back to the Godawful year of 2001.

Back in the day Elvis bought people Caddy's. Today, it's the old John Prostitute thing.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:21 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 32):
Believe it or not, this sappy commercial goes back to the Godawful year of 2001.

Oy, how time flies! It's truly the ultimate airline.

Wink

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 31):
I refuse to carry any debt other than a mortgage and possibly a car payment - and the car debt should be paid off ASAP.

I agree with that philosophy, myself.

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 30):

And even Bill Gates is outmonied by a number of royals (the British royal family, the Sultan of Brunei, et al.), I would imagine.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 28):
Some guys may have to buy their wife a fancy car due to guilt or getting caught at cheating on them. For others, they may just love their wives. For some, it may actually be a lease, or written off their business expenses and the end of year is a good last chance to take advantage of good profits, tax breaks and deductions.

That's the accounting way to look at it. I'll have to check it out one day!

Agree 100%. Both my wife and myself drive really nice cars. We don't finance anything. Our philosiphy is if we don't have the cash to buy it outright, we wait until we do. We pay ourselves the car payments.

Great idea, in my view.

Quoting DianaIvanova (Reply 25):
That is very sweet of you. Many thanks for your sentiments.

You're more than welcome! Best of the season to you and yours!
What's fair is fair.

JBirdAV8r

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:43 pm

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 31):

That's great. That's the way I was raised and that's the life I live now. It's amazing how, if you budget right, you can get just about anything you want (and everything you need). It's equally amazing to me how some people with fairly substantial incomes can be so "stretched." It's all in how you spend what you make (and often times more importantly how you DON'T spend what you DON'T make).

I don't understand how some people can possibly stand to accumulate so much debt--it'd literally worry me right into the grave.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

PIA777

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:52 pm

I would like to know how many people actually buy their spouses one or more Lexi for Christmas, and why we must feel obligated to incur a $55,000.00 obligation in order to feel that we've made the grade as givers of Christmas gifts.

Whatever happened to the adage, "It's the thought that counts"?

I HATE THAT COMMERCIAL!!! These are hard times and some people can't
afford all that. Its making a mockery of Christmas.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

speedbird747BA

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:04 pm

All those wealthy people who got those bigger n' God tax breaks from the Repubicans, that's who.

Ah yes, Lexus commercials are the Republicans fault, naturally. How could I have missed it.

When will it occur to you, how many statistics need to be pushed in front of your face, for you to realize that the RICH WERE NOT THE ONLY ONES TO GET A TAX BREAK!!!!!!!!! Come on Falcon, you saying that the reason Lexus puts out commercials at Christmas is so the ultra-rich r Republicans (naturally) can buy one because they can afford it from their tax returns is nuts. Ill write it off to you being tired or whatever.

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:32 pm

I do like the Christmas season overall, though -- and very much so, despite the fact that it's often said to be overcommercialized. I've grown to expect the various foibles associated with it and compensate for them -- for example, by laughing at the cynicism of some of the advertisements I see.

Just now, I saw an ad for a company that promises that your wife or girlfriend will be amazed at receiving pajamas for Christmas. I kid you not. Further, the ad says that she'll think you spent "months", as I recall, looking for her gift when in fact you can order it in minutes. There are two things wrong with this claim: (1.) No one believes that it takes "months" to find a pair of pajamas; and (2.) The commercial somehow assumes, for some odd reason, that your wife or girlfriend won't ever see the same commercial.

Commercials like these, to me, are laugh-out-loud funny.  

[Edited 2006-12-17 10:48:29]
What's fair is fair.

EA CO AS

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:43 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 24):

Glad you're rich enough to realize it.

Since the top 5% of wage earners are paying 50% of all tax revenues, I'd say a tax break here and there isn't exactly a bad thing.

[Edited 2006-12-17 10:46:56]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

QANTASforever

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:50 pm

$55,000.00

$55,000.00 for a Lexus?!?!?!

Christ, you Americans have it easy. No wonder you've caused a hole in the ozone layer.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:51 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 39):
Christ, you Americans have it easy. No wonder you've caused a hole in the ozone layer.

I confirmed that figure from a quick search of the Internet. There's a site that promises to find you a "new" Lexus from $55,000.00 to $85,000.00. You can find it on Google. The going price, however, is probably closer to $75,000.00, these days.

[Edited 2006-12-17 10:54:04]
What's fair is fair.

Kay

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:03 pm

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 30):

Prince of Brunei, you mean, who could buy Gates.

Kay

Pope

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:19 pm

Falcon when are you going to get over the envy you have over financially successful people? It really isn't healthy and its obvious that it consumes you.

Though I have the means to give my wife a Lexus for Christmas I don't (we prefer small gifts and making a big donation to charities we support as gifts to one another). But what have I, or 99.9% of any other person done to hurt you? Why does cutting my taxes hurt you (did your taxes go up)? Are you upset that you pay any taxes at all? Are you advocating that you should pay nothing and I should pay more because I can?
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

baflyer

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:40 pm

Just bought the wife a BMW 335i Coupe for Christmas. I was going to buy it for her anyway but as it got delivered just before xmas I said it was her present. Now she thinks I'm being a tight arse for not buying her a "real" xmas present! Can't win sometimes. (Well most of the time when it comes to women)
Most frustrating part of being an atheist - Never being able to say "Told you so".

AeroWesty

Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:20 pm

Quoting BAflyer (Reply 43):
Now she thinks I'm being a tight arse for not buying her a "real" xmas present!

Well you see here is the perfect example of how the Lexus commercial could have been of public service. If you'd had the benefit of seeing it, you'd have known to tie a big red bow on the BMW, and been off the hook with your wife.

Kay

Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting BAflyer (Reply 43):
BMW 335i Coupe

I love what I'm reading about that car. If it wasn't for the depreciation of new cars, I'd consider it veeeeery seriously. But I'm anyway looking for something lighter and more focused, even if it means something that stays most of the time at the dealer getting fixed... Or at least that's what I'm trying, don't know what I'll revert to. Something cheaper for sure.

Now, if I was married, I'd definitely feel like buying a little car for my wife, or at least contribute to her car.

Quoting Pope (Reply 42):
But what have I, or 99.9% of any other person done to hurt you? Why does cutting my taxes hurt you (did your taxes go up)?

What are "tax breaks"? Do rich people pay less taxes in the U.S? I'm not criticizing and sorry for showing dumb ignorance.

Kay

baflyer

Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:29 pm

I've got the answer now. Buy the big red bow and stick it in top of the car on xmas morning. - She probably wouldn't see the funny side and that would mean no sex til at least Easter!
Most frustrating part of being an atheist - Never being able to say "Told you so".

strasserb

Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:42 pm

I don't understand your question.
Did I something wrong when I ordered the Lexus for my daughter last year?

scratchchin 
Still, even in the most arid desert is an airport somewhere ...

DianaIvanova

Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:53 am

Quoting StrasserB (Reply 47):

OMG............... StrasserB, you are so wonderful, and I need to be adopted. Yes, I would love to be your daughter (and to get that Lexus for Christmas........ Well, could you make it a Ferrari 610 Scaglietti? Pretty please !)

Hugs, Diana

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting StrasserB (Reply 47):

No -- but you did answer my question:

Query: "Who the hell buys a Lexus as a Christmas gift?"

Answer: "StrasserB, for one."

Okay. No problem.

Smile  Wink
What's fair is fair.