ANCFlyer
Topic Author

John Edwards Says He's A Go In 2008

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:00 am

Well, he didn't get elected VPotUS, he didn't get re-elected in North Carolina, and compared to the two apparent Democrat front runners, Sen. Clinton and Sen Obama he's a 'nobody'.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/12/...edwards.forpresident.ap/index.html
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AirCop

RE: John Edwards Says He's A Go In 2008

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:05 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Thread starter):
he didn't get re-elected in North Carolina,

He didn't run for re-election in North Carolina. As for being a nobody, I would disgree, this guy can talk, hell he could probably sell you an icemaker in Alaska. He also relates well to the common working stiffs, he from the south, has some big money sources behind him, he's not Hillary, he has the personal stories wife having cancer, losing a child that plays well so yes, I think he has a shot to get the nomination. I still believe if the 2004 ticket was Edwards-Kerry, we would be calling him President Edwards now.

Cadet57

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:10 am

Personally I beleive he stands a shot as well. He "seems" personable. Pretty much what AirCop said. I wish we had a Pres. Edwards now.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

AeroWesty

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:12 am

Well, he didn't get elected VPotUS

Just barely.  Wink

he didn't get re-elected in North Carolina,

Moot point. He didn't run for re-election. He decided to pursue the presidency/vice-presidency in '04 instead of running for a second term as senator.

compared to the two apparent Democrat front runners, Sen. Clinton and Sen Obama he's a 'nobody'.

"Edwards was a top fundraiser among Democrats in 2004", according to the CNN article.

He's got some name recognition, can raise the big bucks, and should throw his hat into the ring, now that Bayh's decided not to run.
International Homo of Mystery

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:15 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):

scratchchin 

Didn't run for re-election because poll numbers told him not to . . . he wasn't well liked, in North or South Carolina. He spoke with forked tongue according to the folk I know there . . .

Well, we'll have to see won't we. Yeah, he's got the sob stories all lined up - wife, child . . . don't get me wrong, I feel for him on those two issues and wouldn't ever make light of it . . . I just hope the 'common working folk' you profess he relates to can see past those two personal crisis and get a look at the whole picture.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
He "seems" personable.

A lot of people 'seem' personable . . . but to be honest, I don't care if he's an asshole, as long he gets the job done . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

luv2fly

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:16 am

Well, he didn't get elected VPotUS

Well since Jeb could not rig it two times in a row Ohio stepped up to the plate.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Cadet57

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:18 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 4):
A lot of people 'seem' personable . . .

Hence my " " marks Pep  Wink

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:18 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 5):
Well since Jeb could not rig it two times in a row Ohio stepped up to the plate.

sarcastic 

Proof? Source?

luv2fly

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:20 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
Proof? Source?

Hanging Chads, need I say more.

Pope

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:27 am

Kerry is not president today because of his VP choice. Edwards brought nothing to the ticket (can anyone name a single state that Edwards delivered to the democrats that they wouldn't have won without him?). But more than that, he basically guaranteed that the Dems lost in Florida given that there was a very publicized state constitutional amendment on the ballot targeting trial lawyers in Nov 04.

Had Kerry picked Bob Graham, he'd be sitting in the oval office tonight.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

luv2fly

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:30 am

Didn't run for re-election because poll numbers told him not to . . . he wasn't well liked, in North or South Carolina. He spoke with forked tongue according to the folk I know there . . .

Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure

Proof? Source?

AeroWesty

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:32 am

Didn't run for re-election because poll numbers told him not to . . . he wasn't well liked, in North or South Carolina.

Interesting that he won the presidential primary in South Carolina, after finishing second in Iowa, and fourth in New Hampshire.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:32 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 8):
Hanging Chads, need I say more.

Yeah, you can provide proof that Hanging Chads were Rigged, to substantiate your allegation that Governor Bush rigged the election. Otherwise it's just a lot of  redflag  . . .

Quoting Pope (Reply 9):
Kerry is not president today because of his VP choice.

rotfl 

While I don't dispute your points, I assure you there are myriad other reason that Sen Kerry isn't occupying the big chair. John Edwards is a small potato amongst that crop.

luv2fly

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:37 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
Yeah, you can provide proof that Hanging Chads were Rigged, to substantiate your allegation that Governor Bush rigged the election. Otherwise it's just a lot of

Mom always said, "If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then maybe it is a DUCK!"

Also that is in the past and Mom also said, "Why beat a dead horse!"

TedTAce

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:41 am

yawn.

Yeah sure  Yeah sure

This space intentionally left blank

AeroWesty

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:47 am

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 14):
yawn.

Teddles must be tired from all the action he got last night.  mischievous 

luv2fly

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:49 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 15):
Teddles must be tired from all the action he got last night.

What did the left hand join the right! Tag teaming.

itsonlyme

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:56 am

Thing is, Edwards is popular with the base and Hillary really isnt. The base candidate was gonna be either Edwards or Feingold, and since Feingold dropped out Edwards was their guy. I still dont think either he or Clinton is electable nationwide, and with Warner and Bayh out, Richardson is perhaps the best candidate, although there are rumours about baggage relating to his time as Energy Sec. He has a pretty darn good resume otherwise. Hoping Obama may be able to prove his lack of expierence isnt that much of an issue, he might be 'unique' enough to get away with it, I dont know, but i think few doubt his talent and intellect, the guy seems to embody something people are looking for in politics today. Brian Schweitzer of Montana is perhaps another one to look out for, although he keeps saying people who talk about him for 08 are 'nutty'!

Cadet57

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:01 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 15):
Teddles must be tired from all the action he got last night.

rotfl  Teddles...

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 16):
What did the left hand join the right! Tag teaming.

Pope

Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
I assure you there are myriad other reason that Sen Kerry isn't occupying the big chair.

The only reason that matters is the electoral college. It's an undisputable fact that had Kerry won Florida, he'd be president. So laugh all you want but the facts speak for themselves. Had Kerry chosen a VP candidate that could deliver FL (or any other state) he'd be in the White House tonight. Instead he chose Edwards and is stuck at home with Teresa.

drewfly

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:12 pm

Well, he didn't get elected VPotUS, he didn't get re-elected in North Carolina, and compared to the two apparent Democrat front runners, Sen. Clinton and Sen Obama he's a 'nobody'.

Actually, Sen. Edwards is absolutely not a 'nobody.' He is currently leading in Iowa for the Dem primary, and in a recent MSNBC poll is the only Dem leading McCain. Outside of the beltway bubble, Edwards is one of the most popular Democrats.

Quote:
In some head-to-head match ups, McCain leads Clinton by four points (47 to 43 percent) and Obama by five points (43 percent to 38 percent). But — in an interesting twist — the Arizona senator trails Edwards by two points (43 percent to 41 percent)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16189893/
(scroll towards the bottom)
A-10 Thunderbolt II, ugly as hell, efficient as hell, would you like to meet my boomstick?

AerospaceFan

Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:35 pm

It occurs to me that John Edwards, the former Senator, should go on a ticket with John Edward, the afterlife channeler. Together, they would express the wants and needs of both the living and the dead. Who, in that case, could ask for more?

[Edited 2006-12-17 12:40:12]
What's fair is fair.

Yellowstone

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:13 pm

Well, he's not Hillary, and that's something. If it were up to me alone, I'd choose Hillary, but I don't think she's electable. Obama's too inexperienced. So anyone else who'd like to step up to the plate, that's great with me.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

AerospaceFan

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:03 am

MSNBC, on the Tucker Carlson show (on right now) has just shown John Edwards walking briskly with his two little children, one holding each hand. He's grinning from ear to ear.

Yup.

In the media's eyes, I think that we have our new John ("Camelot") Kennedy.

To top it all of, former Sen. Edwards is a New Age "sensitive" man, dealing with the illness of his wife. At the same time, his wife is sort of the "anti-Hillary" -- the anti-dragon lady, as it were, of politics. She's almost Republican in her support of her man.

Edwards will be interesting to watch.  

[Edited 2006-12-18 22:12:15]
What's fair is fair.

Falcon84

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 9):
Kerry is not president today because of his VP choice.

Wrong. Rarely, if ever, does the VP choice sway the election one way or another. It's simply the #2 job, and voters don't think like that until a President falls over dead.

Kerry lost because he overdosed on Vietnam durning the campaign, and because of his "I voted for it before I voted against it" fiasco. That's why he lost. He also lost because much of the nation was still spooked over 9/11 and terrorism.
Work Right, Fly Hard

IFEMaster

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:13 am

this guy can talk

rotfl 

So did you see him trip all over his own words during the '04 elections?

Hint: When something is scripted, anyone can talk.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

AerospaceFan

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 24):
Kerry lost because he overdosed on Vietnam durning the campaign, and because of his "I voted for it before I voted against it" fiasco. That's why he lost. He also lost because much of the nation was still spooked over 9/11 and terrorism.

Wouldn't it be something if Edwards chose Kerry for his VP?

Big grin
What's fair is fair.

Falcon84

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 26):
Wouldn't it be something if Edwards chose Kerry for his VP?

Maybe he'll choose him, then drop him and say "I chose him before I didn't choose him."  Big grin
Work Right, Fly Hard

AerospaceFan

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 27):
Maybe he'll choose him, then drop him and say "I chose him before I didn't choose him." 

That would be the ultimate!

I seriously thought that Edwards was a better choice for the Democrats than Kerry was the last time 'round, and I said so. Maybe not here, but at another Web forum I used to post in.

I said that Edwards has a compelling life story, and he seems to give a crap about the middle class in a way that actually seems genuine. By comparison, Kerry is held back -- way back -- by his ketchup fortune. (This is despite the fact that John Edwards is a millionaire.)

Edwards, it seems to me, might have a chance.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that Mitt Romney might have a chance too, if he gets a spot on the Republican ticket.

And, in '08, we might see a Hillary-Edwards ticket. And it might, conceivably, win.

Who knows? Anything's possible.  

[Edited 2006-12-18 22:31:37]
What's fair is fair.

Pope

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 24):
Wrong. Rarely, if ever, does the VP choice sway the election one way or another. It's simply the #2 job, and voters don't think like that until a President falls over dead.

Are you saying that Kerry would not have won Florida if Bob Graham was his VP nominee? So rarely doesn't matter at all. I was talking about one particular election - the 2004 one and there it would have made a difference.

Falcon84

Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:48 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 29):
Are you saying that Kerry would not have won Florida if Bob Graham was his VP nominee?

Maybe, maybe not. There's no way to tell now, is there? Bush still had much strength in Florida, with his bro' as the Governor.
Work Right, Fly Hard

AeroWesty

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 28):
By comparison, Kerry is held back -- way back -- by his ketchup fortune.

It's not his fortune, it's his wife's. If anything, Teresa gives off the vibes that she'd rather not be First Lady. She's quite happy looking after the Heinz Foundation and her kids from her previous marriage.

AerospaceFan

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 31):
It's not his fortune, it's his wife's. If anything, Teresa gives off the vibes that she'd rather not be First Lady.

Okay, you're right. But, yanno, six on one hand, half-dozen on the other.  Smile
What's fair is fair.

AeroWesty

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 32):
But, yanno, six on one hand, half-dozen on the other.

No, I don't yanno. JFK was wealthy in his own right, from the family's rum-running operation during Prohibition. Didn't seem to hurt him.

AerospaceFan

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 33):
No, I don't yanno. JFK was wealthy in his own right, from the family's rum-running operation during Prohibition. Didn't seem to hurt him.

What I mean, though, is that the bad vibes screw up the chances for Kerry. That's basically the bottom line.

If Kerry had his own money, things could be different, so I agree with you there.  Smile
What's fair is fair.

itsonlyme

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:47 am

Looking back to 2004, wasnt one of the reasons Kerry lost the huge amount of focus his campaign put on flipping Ohio or Florida? There wasnt really a back up plan. I really feel the Dems will need someone who can compete nationally, I thought that may be Warner or Bayh, but they dropped out, and i dont think either Edwards or Hillary Clinton can do that job - wont it be mostly like 04 again? Unless the Republicans nominate Romney or Brownback, i dont really see how Edwards or Clinton could win. Im still hoping on Obama or Richardson! Maybe Schweitzer out of Montana.

Yellowstone

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:31 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 28):
Of course, I'm of the opinion that Mitt Romney might have a chance too, if he gets a spot on the Republican ticket.

Romney's problem is that he is trying too hard to change his image. As the Republican governor of one of the bluest states in the nation, he did his fair share of bipartisan collaboration, which is what we need more of. The problem is, all of his "compromises" look bad with the Republican primary base, so now he's raising this big stink about the gay marriage issue on his way out so that we'll all know he's actually a conservative. Guess what, Romney? Dems and left-leaning independents are going to remember that come election time!
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

Pope

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 30):
Maybe, maybe not. There's no way to tell now, is there? Bush still had much strength in Florida, with his bro' as the Governor.

You don't know much about Florida politics do you? Bob Graham is loved by Floridians across both aisles. If he ran this past November, Charlie Crist would not be the governor-elect and if Jeb could have run for a third term he would have lost.

Sen. Graham was well respected on defense and intelligence issues (I believe he chaired the Senate Intelligence Committee) and his opinion was respected by the Republicans and Democrats alike on foreign affairs.

The only "ding" on Sen. Graham is his weird habit of keeping a minute by minute diary of everything he does. It comes across as borderline OCD.

Not only did Edwards not add anything to the ticket, picking a trial lawyer hurt the Kerry campaign.

dvk

Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting Pope (Reply 37):
Not only did Edwards not add anything to the ticket, picking a trial lawyer hurt the Kerry campaign.

While I seldom agree with you, I do agree about this. I said in 2004 that Kerry needed to try to persuade Bob Graham to be his running mate, because Graham had so much respect on both sides of the aisle, and was incredibly popular in Florida, which might have delivered that state for Kerry. I'm really disappointed that Evan Bayh has decided not to run in 2008. He has lots of experience, is a popular Democrat from a largely Republican state, and has lots of crossover appeal, just as Graham did.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

GuitrThree

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:16 am

John Edwards?

Really? John Edwards?

Mr. 5 Minute Hair job man?

Seriously. This guy got his clocked cleaned by Cheney in the debates. This guy already got into some hot water over the PS3 and Wal*Mart. This guy, while he didn't run, would have at least faced a bitterly close Senate Race. Not saying that he would have lost, but lets REMEMBER, I don't think this was brought up yet, HE (JK and himself) DID LOSE HIS HOME STATE IN 2004. If you can't even bring home your home state in 2004, what makes you think you can do it, and the entire south, in 2008?

Sorry. You have to bring a better candidate than John Edwards.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:26 pm

-
True, to my astonishment he did not "carry" a single southern state. General Clarke might have had more success with his "military appeal" and a far more powerful personality than the boring lawyer from North Carolina.
-

I still believe if the 2004 ticket was Edwards-Kerry, we would be calling him President Edwards now.

Why then did he not succeed with a single state in the South ? Other VP candidates DID do so, for instance Texas Senator Lyndon Johnson in Nov60 as the most important example.
-

dvk

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:31 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 39):
This guy got his clocked cleaned by Cheney in the debates

No he didn't. Cheney lied and claimed he'd never met Edwards before the debate, deliberately implying that Edwards was seldom present on the Senate floor. Within 24 hours, several videos of the two standing side by side or speaking were shown, proving that Cheney was lying. Edwards held his own very well in that debate, and it's easy to deduce that Cheney pulled his lying sack of sh** sucker punch because he saw no other way to get the upper hand.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting Dvk (Reply 41):
Cheney was lying. Edwards held his own very well in that debate

I saw a part of that debate and had the impression that Edwards is well up in debates, is knowledgable and is a convincing person. The elections-result however showed that he apparently is too "tasteless" for a wider public.
-

AerospaceFan

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 42):
The elections-result however showed that he apparently is too "tasteless" for a wider public.

You mean colorless?  Confused
What's fair is fair.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 43):
The elections-result however showed that he apparently is too "tasteless" for a wider public.
--
You mean colorless? Confused

-
Colourless, without sufficient individuality and personality, something like that. In spite of being intelligent and everything.

casinterest

Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:06 am

Edwards is too far to the left to pull in serious vote consideration.

He will have to work hard to win the Democratic nomination.

If he does somehow get the Democratic Nomination he will have to find a "barely left" of center Democrat to be his running mate
Older than I just was ,and younger than I will soo be.

GuitrThree

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:21 am

Quoting Dvk (Reply 41):
No he didn't.

Well, I guess that could be an opinion thing... however, one point doesn't "win" the entire debate. Edwards showed his lack of National Security knowledge, among other things, and still, whether you believe he won or lost the debate doesn't really matter, he STILL lost his home state. That's NOT something you can do if you want to win the Presidency (Vice-Presidency). Just go ask Al Gore and see if I'm wrong.

Again, he lost the state in 2004, and it wasn't close, so what makes you think he has a chance in 2008?

ME AVN FAN

Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:28 pm

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 45):
Edwards is too far to the left to pull in serious vote consideration.

all I heard about him and from him (not as much of course as you inside the USA) gave me the impression of a left-of-centre politician with rather middle-of-the-road positions, but some social conscience.
-
BUT that he even failed to win his home-state and did NOT carry over a single southern state of the USA is NOT a good sign for him

AerospaceFan

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:24 am

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 45):
If he does somehow get the Democratic Nomination he will have to find a "barely left" of center Democrat to be his running mate

Not that the former VP is "barely left of center", but what if Edwards picked Al Gore as his running mate?  Smile
What's fair is fair.

GuitrThree

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 48):
but what if Edwards picked Al Gore as his running mate?

Besides the fact that Al Gore will NEVER play second fiddle again, he couldn't win his home state either in 2000, which cost him the election, and would REALLY lose Tennessee today.. along with every other southern state.

I could only dream of an Edwards Gore ticket, as much as it never will happen, as it would guarantee a Republican win in '08.