andessmf

This Is Something I Just Can't Stand

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:50 am

As a start of another interesting thread, let me tell you a story.

Two weeks ago, my daughter woke up with an upset stomach. I took her to our room and she was there with mom. Several minutes later, mom calls for help, as our daughter is puking all over the bed.  vomit 

So as I start getting close to the room to render assistance, I start gagging. I barely make it pass the door, and now I have to walk away, because my wife only wanted to wipe her vomit, not mine.

So, I just can't stand vomit in any form, even the sound, for it makes me want to do the same.

What about the rest of you? What is something that absolutely turns your stomach?

aero145

RE: This Is Something I Just Can't Stand

Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:11 pm

What turns my stomach? Driving backwards! Ehh, I mean sitting opposite the direction I'm going. Never OK except in aircraft.

Smile

Siren

Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:18 pm

Turns my stomach? Blood. Got it in me, pumping, flowing, etc, and if it stops, my brain kinda dies, ergo, I die... nonetheless, if I see it outside me, I kinda go eww and get lightheaded and want to ... you guessed it... vomit.

Trash, and the smell of it particularly, will set me off as well. Rotting food, meat - I cannot tolerate the smell of it. That turns my stomach.

AsstChiefMark

Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:23 pm

As a nurse, I can say that puke doesn't bother me. I have no problem watching someone puke. Any pissing and moaning you may hear from me is due to the fact that they've missed the bucket and I know I'll be the one that has to clean it up. It's like trying to wipe up broken eggs on a kitchen floor. It just sort of slimes around when you try to wipe it up.

However, every nurse and doctor will admit there is one thing that they absolutely cannot tolerate. For some, it's oropharyngeal suctioning. For others, it's emptying colostomies. The thing I can't tolerate is watching feces being extruded from an anus. It think it has something to do with that accident I had with a Play-Doh Fun Factory when I was five years old.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

tz757300

Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:43 pm

I cant stand portable toilets, like the ones you see at fairs, construction sites, etc. There is nothing clean about them and it just makes me want to puke every time I have to use one.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

Slyguy

Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:56 pm

What turns my stomach is when I go swimming straight after eating.  confused 

Remember kids don't go in the water for at least 30mins after a meal.
never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow

canuckpaxguy

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:18 pm

We started a "green box" program last year in Toronto, so I have garbage pick up, blue-box (recycling), and green-box for other "natural waste".

Well, when I first got the green-box, I kept forgetting about it, so I'd forget to take it out on green-box day. There were a few times when I lifted the lid that I gagged a few times and almost puked on the street.

G

UH60FtRucker

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:37 pm

The smell and sight of someone's guts hanging out.  crazy 

Seriously.

I can handle gun shot wounds, I can handle the smell/sight of burnt flesh, and even missing limbs.

However, when someone's insides... are now spilling outside? **pukes**

vomit 

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

adopim88

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:49 pm

Well, I know this sounds crazy, but something that really makes me lightheaded, dizzy, and nauseated is the smell of burnt paper. I run an AB Dick ( Wink) Printing press in a giant room filled with them. And we use burners to burn down the powder to make a nice raise on text for lovely wedding invitations and graduation cards. Well sometimes, the stock that we print on likes to catch fire....I usually have to step outside (at a door AWAY from wherever they put the trash can with the still smoldering paper). Bleeeeeech!
(BTW, in the year and a half I've been there I've only had one fire! Something to be proud of! Big grin)
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

speedbird747BA

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:54 pm

Just a few seconds after gettin hit in the balls, after the initial pain wears off, and it feels like your stomach is flipping, twisting, gherhgheh-ing.

Cheers,
Kyle
How long do I have to climb, up on the side of this mountain of mine?

aerobalance

Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:58 pm

Broken bones with the bones exposed (compound fractures)- damn that's gotta hurt!
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

AeroWesty

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:02 pm

I can't eat Indian curry, it's the fenugreek in it. It just tastes rancid to me. Tandoori and Thai curry I'm okay with, but Indian curry makes me want to hurl.
International Homo of Mystery

andessmf

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:14 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 11):
I can't eat Indian curry

My favorite spice!

Not too long ago, the wife got really sick. After she fell asleep, I went into the room and found something strange in the sink. I took a strong whiff to figure out what it was...she didn't make it to the toilet in time...

In my heart, I couldn't wake her up to ask her to clean up her mess, so I sucked it up, including my breath, and cleaned it up for her. I reminded her of this when my daughter was going thru her puking marathon a few weeks ago.

ManuCH
Crew

Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:48 pm

I've found out that smelling *some* people's puke makes my stomach turn instantly. But some *other* people's puke doesn't really have any effect on me. It's like there are different puke brands with different contents  Smile go figure.

Another thing that makes me physically sick is trying to eat broccoli or cauliflower. I really can't chew one of those vegetables and swallow them, I will get sick instantly and throw up. I have no idea why this is so, but the experiment can be reproduced.

-Manuel
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

itsjustme

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:03 pm

The only thing that's made me physically ill is seeing decapitations at crash scenes.

IAH777

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:07 pm

I can look at brains splattered by a gunshot, but the sight of my own blood (any amount that needs more than a small wad of Kleenex to sop up) can make me light-headed.

But, then, I haven't encountered a true "stinker" yet...  scratchchin 

HAWK21M

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:52 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Thread starter):
What about the rest of you? What is something that absolutely turns your stomach

Nothing so far.Its all how one percieves it.I look at things as if they were fake,even if its an Accident or Bomb blast & it does not affect.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Stealthz

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:25 pm

Many years ago I nearly joined a regional rescue service, one that performed(in those days) most motor vehicle extractions etc.
The night before I was supposed to join I was an early arrival at a motor accident where a VW kombi van had hit a tray truck at high speed.. kind of put me off the whole idea. I have helped out many motor accidents over the years but the thought of something gory awaiting every time the phone rang is something I have trouble with.

What I really can't stand.. the smell of white coffe. Funny thing is I can drinkk the stuff, just can't stand the smell of it sitting on the desk next to me!
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

bilgerat

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:48 pm

Back in 2004 I joined my first ship - I was a cadet "fresh out of the box" and as such I was regarded as the lowest form of life on board and used to get all the really horrible job nobody else wanted.

The ship had just come out of refit, and work had been done on the sewage treatment plant (STP). The toilet system fitted was a vacuum type, and the vacuum was achieved by two eductors fitted to the STP. New eductors were fitted in the refit, but the welding wasn't up to scratch. One day the weld on one of these eductors cracked and the pipeline, under tension completely parted from the eductor. The effect was to spray raw sewage all over the compartment. The whole compartment was turned brown, and the raw sewage was swilling around on the deck. The smell was really something else! After shutting down the STP to prevent further shittage I was told to clean it up. That compartment had a single bilge well, so I thought I could just wash it down with a fire hose and then pump it out to the bilge tank. A couple of hours later the compartment was pristine white again, with not a trace to be seen. When the MEO asked me how I got it so clean I told him - I ended up getting a major bollocking - the ship's oil/water seperator was the chemical type (a "Marinfloc"), and although they are very good at seperating oil and water, they don't take too kindly to raw sewage

[Edited 2006-12-19 11:50:08]

sprout5199

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting AndesSMF (Thread starter):
So as I start getting close to the room to render assistance, I start gagging. I barely make it pass the door, and now I have to walk away, because my wife only wanted to wipe her vomit, not mine.

So, I just can't stand vomit in any form, even the sound, for it makes me want to do the same.

I was the same way until my first daughter was born. Then I guess something inside changed, I was more worried that she was sick and not worried about the puke. Hell, I have even had her puke in my hand so I could throw it out the window of my car.(easier to clean my hand than the carpet/carseat)

Dan in Jupiter

NeilYYZ

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:10 pm

From the 'ol lifeguarding days...

Their Symptom / My Reaction

Puke - All good.
Blood - All good.
Open wound - All good.
Dead guy - all good.
Dead woman - all good.
Compound fracture - All good.

Snot - PUKE!
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

AGM100

Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:04 am

When I was a lad , I witnessd my dog.. my dog , my best freind ... eat the puke of another dog. The other dog puked up and my beloved Dinks jumped on it like fried chicken! YAAAAK. I never looked at that dog the same after that , but I would laugh when my sister would let him lick her face ...  mischievous 
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

IFEMaster

Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:14 am

Cat shit.

Yup. The litter box.

There's something about feline poop that just makes it the single most evil substance on the face of God's green earth. We have our cat's litter box in a seperate room - the small box room at the back of the house - and I never ever ever ever go anywhere near that room. I can't. If I detect even a slight hint of moggy doo-doo, my stomach just turns and I run for the bathroom.

It's especially bad if one of the cats gets sick and has the squits for a few days, because the smell is rank.

Last year I purchased one of those auto-cleaning cat litter boxes, and it has definitely helped. If the wife is away on business, it's up to me to clean the litter box, so the fact that the litter box has already gathered the offending material in to a plastic bag at the back of the litter box means that I can just hold my breath, grab it, run it to the bin outside, take another breath, go in and fit a replacement bag, and then with just one more breath, refill the litter tray with fresh litter.

But that's if I am the absolute last resort. Last time the wife went away for a few days, I was ill with the flu, so my mother-in-law came round and did it for me. Thank god.

Yes, I'd say that if anything in this world is going to make me puke, it's cat shit.

EDITED: Because I can't spell.

[Edited 2006-12-19 18:15:37]
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

UK_Dispatcher

Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:26 pm

For me (today even more prominently), it is people who hockle and think it is socially acceptable. I live in the UAE where a huge proportion of the blue-collar workforce are from Pakistan, Bangladesh, India.... Opposite our office is a gents toilet. Okay - no problem, but you can guarantee that as soon as you hear the door close all you will hear is that awful throaty scraping sound of someone forcing the phlegm out of their throat. It is just disgusting! Okay, they are in the gents and they don't think that others can hear them, but they do it in the street, in the airport - everywhere, not caring whether there are others around them.

My main question is this:

Okay, I sometimes have to clear my throat. When I am alone in my apartment or in a place where no one else is around I may do it the undesireable way - but what I don't understand is why do these guys have to do it so much? Why can't they walk into a toilet without doing it? Is there something about throats from the subcontinent that is special?! Please enlighten me....

andessmf

Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:37 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 21):
When I was a lad , I witnessd my dog.. my dog , my best freind ... eat the puke of another dog

Almost missed it, but caught my dog eating something from the grass, took a while to realize that my son had no diapers on, the dog smelled...you get the picture. Which leads to this:

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 22):

There's something about feline poop that just makes it the single most evil substance on the face of God's green earth.

And there is something that dog's absolutely LOVE about cat shit. My dog thinks its just a treat, but with our cat around for a year now, the novelty factor seems to have worn off.

And that would make my wife hurl.

express1

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:04 pm

What turns my stomach is unhealthy people,who dont keep themselves or there home clean,i went to visit a few Friends from church last week end,knocked on the door,came in and followed her to the kitchen as she was making a cuppa,and the first thing i see was a tip,dirty lining on the floor,washing up not done,the bin was over flowing with a dirty nappy on top. How can people live like this is beyond me, i feel sorry for her kids as i dont think she does. On the street where we live,people just dump rubbish bags a week before collection,and then been opened by dogs,or foxes and its all over the place.

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

BAE146QT

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:38 pm

Quote:
On the street where we live,people just dump rubbish bags a week before collection,and then been opened by dogs,or foxes and its all over the place.

Councils in the UK are cracking down on this. Anyone who puts their rubbish out more than x hours before it is due to be collected gets fined. It's mostly businesses that are targeted, since they are easier to trace from their waste, though I've heard of people being identified through envelopes, etc.

Quote:
What is something that absolutely turns your stomach?

I've got a VERY strong stomach, but the one thing that makes me chuck my cookies is the smell of a person who a) doesn't wipe properly and b) doesn't wash often enough.

You walk behind them and there's this sweet, gamey smell of decomposing faeces - a lot like a cat's litter tray - wafting from their back end.
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

express1

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:49 pm

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 26):

Come to Islington,your find shit everywhere,the council below our flats get loads of complaints and yet nothing gets done about it, it makes you think why on earth do we bother paying our council tax in the first place!!!

dave

BAE146QT

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:04 pm

Quote:
Come to Islington

Not again, thanks. If it's one thing I don't miss since moving away from London 7 years ago, it's the smell of millions of people in close proximity.

Incidentally, I lived in Clapham, Ladywell and Bellingham. (In that order)

Quote:
why on earth do we bother paying our council tax in the first place!!!

Outreach workers aren't free.
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

express1

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:10 pm

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 28):
Outreach workers aren't free.

i know thay get paid for doing jack shit!!!!

dave

Jkw777

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:21 pm

I have been fortunate enough not to have too much exposure to gross stuff like some people have mentioned before.

But I have to say when ever I watch one of them real life hospital programs and they have a recording of someone having surgery I have to look away!! I cannot stand the sight of someone being diced up by the blade!

I must admit the smell of a freshly laid dog turd absolutely makes my stomach turn, along with the smell and sight of someone else throwing up.

I don't know if anyone has visited Ogrish.com before it was taken over but some of the stuff on there was absolutely disgusting and just unhumane. That sorta made me sick too, with thanks to the person who showed me!!

Justin  Smile
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

dragogoalie

Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:08 pm

After working with animals for several years, there's very little that can really put me into such a fit  Silly I've wiped up puke (from animals AND owners), blood, bodyparts, shit, you name it- never once puked or gagged (apart from when I could feel it through the papertowel or something... that makes me make gagging noises, but I never actually move to the next stage  Silly)

There is however one thing:

Decomposing flesh. I simply cannot stand it. The smell is just horrid and I have this urgent need to wash my hands/have a shower repeatedly when I've been anywhere near anything like that.  crazy 

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 24):
And there is something that dog's absolutely LOVE about cat shit. My dog thinks its just a treat, but with our cat around for a year now, the novelty factor seems to have worn off.

Catfood is very high in protein, and thus, so is catpoop. And dogs like proteins.

I hope the novelty factor wears off for my dogs too  Sad They looove the litterbox. So we've put it in a place for them that's very hard to reach. Unfortunately, a dalmatian isn't stupid, and she seems to figure out how to get to it no matter how we hide it  sigh 

Ferret poop is quite a treat too, apparently. But then again, a ferret pretty much eat the same food as cats...
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

ShyFlyer

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:37 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 22):
feline poop

Yup, me too. Also on the list was cat barf. God knows I loved my kitty to pieces, but those too items made me gag every time.

Quoting UK_Dispatcher (Reply 23):
that awful throaty scraping sound of someone forcing the phlegm out of their throat.

Even thinking about it make me gag. I can't handle the one or two times I had to do it when I had a nasty cold.

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 26):
doesn't wash often enough

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where the parking attendant left his "scent" behind in Jerry's car, and it "took over" the car.
I lift things up and put them down.