User avatar
jetjack74
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:35 am

Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:46 am

After the storm that rolled through Seattle here, over 50 people we killed, but several of those who died didn't die from the storm, but the after affects of it. Several victims died or became very ill, from smoke inhalation from using gas and charcoal grills, portable generators by using them indoors in where there is little or no ventilation. See the photo below and see the multi-lingual warning in the upper-centre page.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/home/index.html
But this is main from those victims not understanding the warnings being in english. This raises the question, they couldn't read the safety warnings becuase they're unable to read english. I know it takes time for someone to learn english, or any foriegn language, but many people who are immigrants refuse to learn the language of the country they migrate to. And some immigrants rights' advocates are running campaigns against forcing immigrants to learn english when settling here. In the Netherlands, I understand it law that you have to learn Dutch before you can claim residency there(correct me if i'm wrong). But I think this raises an important point about immigrants being encouraged to learn english when coming to live here. If these victims could understand the warnings, they might be alive today. The stories below.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm.../2003487040_webkenmoredeath20.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ews/2003486450_stormdeaths20m.html
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ws/2003486358_stormwarning20m.html
Made from jets!
 
Coz
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:29 am

RE: Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:54 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
But this is main from those victims not understanding the warnings being in english. This raises the question, they couldn't read the safety warnings becuase they're unable to read english.

Regardless of what language someone may speak, common sense says it's a bad idea to use portable grills and gas generators inside an enclosed area.
 
Queso
Posts: 3109
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:28 pm

RE: Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:00 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
After the storm that rolled through Seattle here, over 50 people we killed

Why did "we" kill them?
 
User avatar
jetjack74
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:35 am

RE: Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 2):
Why did "we" kill them?

We all killed them, J/k. Typo. I mean't to say were killed.
Made from jets!
 
bushpilot
Posts: 1674
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:37 am

RE: Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:13 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Thread starter):
Several victims died or became very ill, from smoke inhalation from using gas and charcoal grills

This seems to happen in a few cases every year across the country. Most anyone with half a brain should know this in general though. In AK we have quite a few ad campaigns concerning ca.mo. ANC for example hands out detectors as well as a few of the smaller communities. Most of the cases in AK have to do with a faulty furnace and there have been cases of entire families dying in thier sleep. Quite sad, but for the most part preventable.
 
F9Animal
Posts: 3644
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:13 am

RE: Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:15 am

Actually they found another body today. That brings the storm related death toll to 13 at this time. Sadly, I am sure we will find more. Todays death is suspected to be Carbon Monoxide related, as they found a BBQ grill in the mans home. 73 year old man or close to that age.

We have another storm moving in tonight. Gusts to 50MPH possible. The weakened trees around the sound may become our latest victims of power issues.

This is a tragedy. Anyone who goes through things like this should take the time to check on your neighbors.
I Am A Different Animal!!
 
User avatar
jetjack74
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:35 am

RE: Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:16 am

Quoting Coz (Reply 1):
Regardless of what language someone may speak, common sense says it's a bad idea to use portable grills and gas generators inside an enclosed area.

Well, I was listening to a news report on KVI570am, and some of the victims were Somali, who they say it's common to light fires inside there homes to keep warm. Well, that's fine if you're living in a mud hut, or if there is adequete ventilation. They don't have a need to light fires to keep warm in most Central Africa because it's already hot there. But gas grills are not a household item in Somalia or Vietnam. But, not being able to read the warnings isn't helping.
Made from jets!
 
TedTAce
Posts: 9098
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:31 am

RE: Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:03 pm

Quoting Coz (Reply 1):
common sense says

the chemistry set..


I feel bad for these people, but alas their lack of education or understanding of the products they used made those who didn't reproduce; eligible for a Dawin.
This space intentionally left blank
 
KFLLCFII
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:08 am

RE: Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:09 pm

That's sad.

But nevertheless, even with all the Carbon Monoxide warnings given down here with regard to using gas generators indoors and in the vicinity of a/c inlet vents after a hurricane, it almost certainly still catches a family or two after a major event...

 Sad
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."
 
AsstChiefMark
Posts: 10465
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:14 pm

RE: Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:21 pm

I wonder how many were actually suicides.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail
 
Coz
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:29 am

RE: Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:18 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 6):
Well, I was listening to a news report on KVI570am, and some of the victims were Somali, who they say it's common to light fires inside there homes to keep warm. Well, that's fine if you're living in a mud hut, or if there is adequete ventilation. They don't have a need to light fires to keep warm in most Central Africa because it's already hot there. But gas grills are not a household item in Somalia or Vietnam. But, not being able to read the warnings isn't helping.

Did it say what these Somalis were using? Was it firewood that they had cut down on their own, or was it a grill of some type? The reason I ask is because you can't put warning labels on trees.

I suppose the best solution would be to mandate carbon monoxide detectors inside homes. Other than that, IMO I don't think trying to educate people of endless languages on the hazards of CO2 poisoning will be very effective. Sounds as though it's too little, too late.

Quoting TedTAce (Reply 7):
the chemistry set..

How dare you! I am offended, sir!

You leave me no other choice than to declare you a dull car without hubcaps that got hit by a old muddy tree without a top that fell over!!!  grumpy 

 
User avatar
jetjack74
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:35 am

RE: Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:44 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 9):
I wonder how many were actually suicides.

I don't think any of them were, just under-educated

Quoting Coz (Reply 10):
Did it say what these Somalis were using? Was it firewood that they had cut down on their own, or was it a grill of some type? The reason I ask is because you can't put warning labels on trees.

They were habachies and B-B-Q gas grills
Made from jets!
 
Dougloid
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:44 am

RE: Death By Carbon Monoxide In Seattle

Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:54 pm

There were 7 people died in a house in Kirksville Missouri the other day and it's said it was CO poisoning....at this point there are no more details.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/..._GEN_US_Carbon_Monoxide_Deaths.php
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ktrick45, PacificBeach88 and 24 guests