dtwclipper

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:38 am

Name of final Harry Potter book announced

NEW YORK (AP) -- We now have a title for Book VII: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."

Rowling's U.S. publisher, Scholastic Inc., released a brief statement Thursday announcing the name of the world's most anticipated children's book, the finale to her phenomenally popular fantasy series.

No publication date or other details were offered. Rowling is still working on the book, she explained on her Web site in an entry posted early Thursday.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/book...21/books.pottertitle.ap/index.html
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Derico

RE: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:39 am

I still don't see the big deal about those books. The most overhyped propaganda campaign ever.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

stlgph

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:41 am

My predictions -

Snape's a hero in disguise
Snape and Hagrid are the two that die
Dumbledore has a horcrux of his own...in Fawks and is not truly dead

as for Aunt Petunia....she's probably Voldemort's sister or something

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

dtwclipper

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:41 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 1):
I still don't see the big deal about those books.

'cause they're fun!!!!  

[Edited 2006-12-21 18:47:52]
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Mir

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:45 am

Rowling said she has been asked for years if she ever dreams she is in the boy wizard's world.

"The answer was 'no' until a few nights ago, when I had an epic dream in which I was, simultaneously, Harry and the narrator," she wrote.

Houston, we have a nutcase.  biggrin 

Put out a release date already!

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

thepilot

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:27 am

I bet Harry will die. He and Voldy will both be killed, thus preventing any more books or spinoffs. Although I believe Snape is good, I think it would be awesome if he wasn't, that way, he could essentially be the most powerful wizard, more powerful than Voldy, because he tricked and killed Dumbledore. However, Dumbledore is not coming back.
From YVR

AerospaceFan

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Thread starter):
NEW YORK (AP) -- We now have a title for Book VII: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."

Rowling's U.S. publisher, Scholastic Inc., released a brief statement Thursday announcing the name of the world's most anticipated children's book, the finale to her phenomenally popular fantasy series.

Sounds like light reading.

Big grin
What's fair is fair.

MYT332

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:27 am

Wahey, something that is worse than Lord of the Rings!

Rowling hinted that two main characters would die in the next book. It's a shame really. Only two?
One Life, Live it.

AerospaceFan

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:15 am

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 7):
Rowling hinted that two main characters would die in the next book. It's a shame really. Only two?

LOL. Not a fan of the series, I see!
What's fair is fair.

Springbok747

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:22 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 1):
I still don't see the big deal about those books. The most overhyped propaganda campaign ever.

I agree. While those books are good (I haven't read all of them), they aren't anything extraordinary. This whole series has become so hyped it has developed an almost cult-like following...and thats scary  scared 
אני תומך בישראל

bushpilot

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:22 am

I havent read any of the books, and found myself questioning why the hell someone would bother reading all of them. Then I realised, hell I just wrapped up all of the Tom Clancy, Jack Ryan novels. So For those of you who are fans, enjoy.
Also for the record, last summer, my then GF was a big fan of them. She was reading the latest one where a character died. I kept telling her I heard it was the red headed kid in the movies. She would get so pissed at me. I sometimes wonder we arent together any more.

AerospaceFan

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:25 am

The red-headed character -- it's Harry's best friend, right? Besides Hermione (if she counts as a friend rather than girlfriend). So sad....
What's fair is fair.

AsstChiefMark

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:30 am

WTF is a deathly hallows? Sounds like an orgy at a fat camp.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

bushpilot

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 11):
The red-headed character -- it's Harry's best friend, right?

Yeah the boy, forgive me, I havent paid read a single page of any of the books. I did pay to go to the first movie when I was in Australia with a different girlfriend. I went in mostly for the air conditioning. I was asleep in 15minutes.

ASF, it is your A.net birthday. Congrats to our resident right wing poster. Its always fun hear your spin....I mean input  Wink

AerospaceFan

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:32 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 13):
Yeah the boy, forgive me, I havent paid read a single page of any of the books.

Thanks!

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 13):
ASF, it is your A.net birthday. Congrats to our resident right wing poster. Its always fun hear your spin....I mean input  Wink

Thanks again. But as far as lack of spin, O'Reilly's got nothing on me. I'm the original nonspinning type o' guy. Really. I am.

Wink
What's fair is fair.

AirframeAS

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:39 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 11):
The red-headed character -- it's Harry's best friend

Ron Weasley.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

AerospaceFan

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 15):
Ron Weasley.

Yes, that sounds about right.
What's fair is fair.

bushpilot

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:52 am

Thank you ACLU representative for coming on the Factor. Its not easy, it shows your a good man.
And now for the most ridiculous item of the day.

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 14):
O'Reilly's got nothing on me. I'm the original nonspinning type o' guy.

Dont forget to buy your factor gear, I got the t-shirts, mugs and my very handsome bobble head doll.
Signed Bill O'Reilly.

OK, well despite me having a 6 month head start on you, you have managed to post 5x as many as I have and over double my RR, good work.

AerospaceFan

Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:55 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 17):
OK, well despite me having a 6 month head start on you, you have managed to post 5x as many as I have and over double my RR, good work.

Thanks for your nice words. It's more like 4.04 times as many posts, though, and not quite five.  

[Edited 2006-12-21 23:58:56]
What's fair is fair.

Mir

Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 9):
This whole series has become so hyped it has developed an almost cult-like following...and thats scary

To be honest, a cult of Harry Potter fanatics is pretty damn low on the "dangerous cults" list.

-Mir

RayChuang

Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:59 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 2):
Snape and Hagrid are the two that die

I actually agree with your assessment. Hagrid is getting up there in years and given how Voldemort treats his "followers" (if you've read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince you know what I mean), both may not be around for the end of this last HP novel. I don't think Rowling wants to kill off Harry Potter in the end given the history of nasty reader response when a popular character gets killed (as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle experienced when he tried to kill off the fictional Sherlock Holmes character).

tsaord

Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:20 pm

I saw all 4 movies. After Goblet of Fire I was hooked. So I went out ang bought all 6 books and read them in month and a half! I was so caught in and I don't read books like that either.

My favorite book hits theaters in July!!!The Order Of The Phoenix!!!

Im not sure if I like the ttle of the new book. Its not catching my attention like hte previous ones. But the title always serves a purpose as the main plot line of the books.

Bring on the release date!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

RayChuang

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:09 pm

By the way, someone on The Leaky Cauldron website's discussion forum said that the "hallows" in the title of the final Harry Potter novel may be referring to the Four Hallows of Arthurian legend. The Four Hallows are:

The Cup or Chalice
The Baton or Wand
The Sword or Dagger
The Coin, Disc or Pentacle

If you're read all six novels, this concept makes a LOT of sense, especially if you've read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Mir

Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:29 pm

Figured I'd throw this in:

http://thefifthdistrict.com/potter/

-Mir

willo

Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:07 pm

I think a lot of people who complain about Harry Potter forget that the books are actually for children and read them as though they are adult fiction. As childrens books they are great fun, although that said, the last one would have been better at half its length.

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:31 pm

Personally I don't see what's so special about these books, but the author obviously did it good.

Like Bushpilot, I'm more of a Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, WEB Griffin kind of guy.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

kiwiandrew

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:40 pm

firstly , I admit that I love the books , they are not great literature , there are holes in the plots that you could pilot an A380 through .... but they are fun Big grin

secondly , kids read very little these days instead wasting their days on PSP and other such rubbish , so anything that encourages children to enjoy reading has got to be good  thumbsup   thumbsup   thumbsup 

KaiGywer
Crew

Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:49 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 26):
secondly , kids read very little these days instead wasting their days on PSP and other such rubbish , so anything that encourages children to enjoy reading has got to be good

Good point
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

bushpilot

Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:10 am

secondly , kids read very little these days instead wasting their days on PSP and other such rubbish , so anything that encourages children to enjoy reading has got to be good

I would agree as well. Its a shame you cant really read when you are exercising. In my neck of the woods, fitness in youth is taken a proverbial backseat.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 25):

Yeah, the author definatly has a skill. She is filthy rich now also. So congrats to her. I just have a stack of books that I want to read that will last me probably the rest of my life and Harry Potter isnt in there.

thepilot

Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:48 am

secondly , kids read very little these days instead wasting their days on PSP and other such rubbish

I don't think the Palm Springs residents will appreciate that comment!  duck 
From YVR

Mir

Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:00 pm

I admit that I love the books , they are not great literature , there are holes in the plots that you could pilot an A380 through ....

Examples? I agree that the quality of the writing is substandard, but I've always found the plots to be well-thought out and solid.

-Mir

stlgph

Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:52 pm

firstly , I admit that I love the books , they are not great literature , there are holes in the plots that you could pilot an A380 through .... but they are fun Big grin

since you're so keen...how is it going to end?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

adopim88

Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:58 pm

I am a fan. I'll admit it. I actually hated the idea until my friend made me watch the first movie.... once I see a movie based on a book I end up going to read the book, to see pieces of the plot that i may have missed (I'm a lifelong, hardcore reader, what can I say?) And actually found I enjoyed them! I haven't seen the 4th movie yet, but that was one of top favorites of the books. I'm excited to read the last Harry Potter, but I'm not going to get my panties all in a bundle waiting for it, it comes when it comes  Smile
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.